AndyJ 27-Oct-16
ahunter55 28-Oct-16
HDE 28-Oct-16
orionsbrother 28-Oct-16
Teeton 30-Oct-16
Jaquomo 30-Oct-16
VogieMN 31-Oct-16
25-Oct-16
Ok i guess the title of the thread should of said,, Bowhunting not as much fun anymore.

Over the last 6 or 7 years bow hunting hasn't been as fun for me, as it was 6 or 7 years ago. Here the reason why for me anyway. Back then I had a good bow hunting partner that liked to bow hunt and liked to hunt like I did. Being that we would scout in the summer, help each other out setting stands up. Hunt just about every weekend and would hunt the whole last week of the season. That which was about peak of the rut here in Pa.. We also hunted out west for elk and would hunt NY and sometimes Nj, being the we only lived 35 minutes from NY and about 75 from Nj. Also a few other friends would bow hunt with us off and on. They would also from time to time go out west or hunt with me/us in Ny or Ny. Well with life changes, my main buddy is now married with two kids, now lives almost 3 1/2 hours away. Don't get me wrong we are still great buds. Chatting once or twice a week. But we only get to bow hunt together 2 or 3 days a season if we are lucky. And the other friends who's kids are just about growing up. Don't do much bow hunting anymore. I miss having someone to scout with, setup stands and do short trips to other near by states in the motorhome. I'm now finding myself not scouting or hunting anywhere as much here in the east. I don't have really any problem finding guys each year to go out west elk hunting. Something that I really look forward to. I'm already thinking about what hunt out west for 2017 and have guys asking about that. It's really the local stuff that I can't find a partner that likes to do/hunt like I did 6 or 7 years ago. So now I'm finding myself not hunting as much and when the season closes a little bummed that it is over and I didn't get out that much.

Does anyone else find themselves not hunting as much? Ed

25-Oct-16
I'm kinda in that position now, because both of my best friends still work, but I'm retired. That leaves only the weekends except when we antelope hunt once a year.

That said though, I get to hunt more, but it's by myself. I don't mind that too much until it comes time to have an adult beverage at camp or pull a deer outa the woods :) My wife worries a little more though ( since I'm a clumsy old fart ) when I'm off for a two or three day trip. I must admit it's more fun at the camphouse when you have friends to share things with.

25-Oct-16
I'm just the opposite. After my longtime hunting partner decided not to bowhunt anymore for various reasons, I seem to enjoy it more going solo. No more negotiating about where to go, when to go, how to hunt, checking in on the radio, being second-guessed, etc.. If I want to move camp, I move camp. No negotiation. If I want to read or write at night, I can do it without being bugged. If I want to nap, I nap. I don't mind hunting with someone else for a few days each season, and met someone on an elk hunt this year that I really did enjoy hunting with for a couple days, though he lives several states away.

But as I get older and settle into cranky old coothood, I seem to enjoy the freedom, the solitude, the flexibility to do what I want when I want, go where I want, do as I please, no complications, no drama. I enjoy my own company and really like hunting with "me".

25-Oct-16
The only bowhunting that isn't as much fun for me is hunting in NY. I have gotten around that by huntingnless and less here. Most years I spend between 3-6 weeks bowhunting out of the state.

25-Oct-16
I felt the same way for a few years when my last bowhunting partner gave it up. But now I enjoy hunting solo quite a bit. It's nice not to have to worry about where and when we'll hunt, when we have to leave, get back etc. Getting back to a cold camp after dark can get a little lonely but I don't even mind that much any more.

25-Oct-16
I enjoy it more than ever. I hunt solo!

25-Oct-16
I haven't been hunting as much but that's because I'm self employed and the last 8 years have been BRUTAL. When you're worried about keeping your business alive and a roof over your head hunting tends to take a back seat.

I don't have a lot of hope for the future either.

25-Oct-16
Another fan of solo hunting. My usual hunting partner and I don't get a chance to hunt very often together anymore. He also has a wife and kids and a job where he can't take off huge chunks of time. I have a wife that tells me not to come home without something dead in the back of the truck, no kids and I am self employed so I can finagle things. I learned several years ago, that I really love solo hunting. The only time I like a hunting partner now is waterfowl hunting. I grew up on a farm with really only one nearby friend. I spent a lot of time roaming our farm on my own and I loved it. Hunting solo reminds me of those days. Total freedom.

25-Oct-16
Hunted with a buddy for years. Found I enjoy it just as much (or more) solo. I've always been addicted to hunting. Some folks may get their thrills from the camaraderie, I seem to get mine from all aspects of the hunt itself.

Best of Luck, Jeff

25-Oct-16
Same here. I had kids before my friends and now they are grown with families of their own. My friends have kids in the critical mid teen time where you need to spend time and support their ventures. So, I'm by myself most of the time now.

Several years ago, that slowed me down a bit. Kept me from taking routine trips we used to do. However, it took about a season to realize what I was doing to myself. I was the one missing out. I now can't wait for the season. Like Lou, I don't have to negotiate where to camp, when to leave, what is my responsibility to bring, when we are coming home, where we are going to hunt, etc....

I admit, staring into a campfire alone in the middle of no where has a less than perfect appeal after a great day of hunting, versus sharing it with them. But, it still has it's appeals. Beside's, I'm there for the hunt. Not the campfire.

I'm packed and ready to leave town Friday at 5:30 PM headed to our old haunts alone to spend the weekend. Be setting up camp in the dark, walking several miles Saturday morning in the dark, and setting around a fire Saturday night in the dark. Gotta admit, it'd be nice if someone was there to share a cold glass of milk with after the hunt. But, I got two choices. Be alone while hunting or, don't go hunting. I'm going hunting Lord Willing.

The next three weekends will be the same. And, Lord willing I'll be hunting. Hopefully it won't matter then as the hunting could be good enough I'll be so tired from packing there won't be a lot of loitering around a fire in the evening. God Bless

25-Oct-16
I did have a really good time hunting with AndyJ for five days last year. Though we really didn't "hunt" together except opening morning in a terrific ground blizzard, we camped and strategized together. It was fun watching him come into my camper in the morning with icicles hanging off his nuts and nose after sleeping in his little backpack tent in November in one of the coldest river valleys in the U.S.

:)

25-Oct-16
Woods, please tell me you're not in the oilfield.

25-Oct-16
Ed, come to the P&Y conference in St Louis in April and you'll meet a bunch of guys passionate about bowhunting and maybe some hunting partners. I met a great hunting partner at the last conference. We've done one hunt together, have another planned this year, and two next year.

25-Oct-16
I hunt both alone and with buddies, 28 years of bowhunting and still just as excited about it

26-Oct-16
Have you considered being the hunting buddy to a kid or young adult guy who wants to get into bowhunting? There are kids out there who would love to hunt and are either fatherless or have a father that is not interested in hunting. There are young guys who don't know where to start. You have a wealth of experience to share. Granted, you couldn't do everything with a kid as you would with an adult. Something to think about.

26-Oct-16
I'm another one that prefers solo. My long time hunting buddy retired and moved back to Tennessee a couple years ago. I miss the hell out of him at camp, (and having him help pack out my elk!), but as far as the actual hunting goes, I've always preferred solo.

That said , bowhunting isn't nearly as enjoyable as it once was, but for a different reason. I love being in the mountains, away from all the nonsense. I love seeing elk, calling elk, and yes, shooting elk. I just don't enjoy doing all the things that lead up to those moments anymore . I don't like the cold, and I don't like getting up at 4 every morning.

I used to feel the need to hunt every morning and every evening without fail. I just don't care to do that anymore. This past season I went out every morning, but only went out for the evening hunt a handful of times. The rest of the time, I just relished the relaxation. Made for a much more enjoyable time, so that's more than likely what will become the norm in the coming years.

26-Oct-16
My main hunting buddy got divorced and mover to Mo.

I miss the Ole Marine.....

It hasn't been the same since.

I invite different guys from our bowsite to my yearly Wyo elk camp which is fine but not the same as having a hunting partner.

I do lot's more solo hunting now a days---which is kinda satisfying.

Good luck, Robb

26-Oct-16
PB in WI has your answer. If you seriously want the fever back take a kid or disabled person hunting. Your heart will beat really fast when they are about to shoot!

Fortunately for me Bowsite and P&Y Members have kept the fire blazing. It is also important to solo hunt! Good

26-Oct-16
"You don't have to be lonely...."

;-)

26-Oct-16
I hunt much less in PA since I started going for elk. After chasing elk in CO or WY, it is tough to get excited about sitting a treestand in northeast PA. Even in the spring or summer, so much time goes to preparing for 2 weeks outwest that I don't spend much time preparing for hunting PA.

26-Oct-16
So far most have talked about hunting partners vs going solo. Here is a different view:

I found that bowhunting became a lot more fun when I put down the compound and picked up a recurve. Just shooting is a lot more fun. Stump shooting is a blast. Hunting is more challenging. It feels more natural to walk through the woods with an American made bow made from American materials. Crafting my own equipment brings greater satisfaction to both shooting and hunting. You might give it a try.

26-Oct-16
Lets face it, bow hunting is primarily a solo venture unless you're filming or mentoring someone. We all love the solitude while hunting, but having someone to share the stories and experience with at the end of the day just makes it that much better. Not to mention the help during recovery and pack out. I find myself in the same boat without the hunting partners I once had due to normal life stuff. Now that I'm in a position to hunt more often, I am mentoring my adult children and wife in bow hunting, which is rewarding. But there are still times when it would be nice to have a buddy with.

Then there are the obstacles you face trying to secure permission for others to hunt with you, when some land owners don't welcome the idea.

26-Oct-16
I'm more in the middle about the solo vs partner hunting, I like aspects of both, just about equally. It's easier to coordinate with only 1 person to consider but more exciting to relay the day's experience around the evening's camp fire virtually in the moment.

Part of it for me now is my all or nothing traits drive me past the relax and enjoy life out there. I've never fought taking a nap mid day in the warm sun if it strikes me - so I got that one down :) It's easy to understand relaxing for the day in the mtns beats relaxing for the day at the house, just hard to actually do when out in the mtns feeling the drive to explore over that next ridge.

It concerns my wife though that I'm roaming the mtns by myself with no one really knowing where I at any time and that it'll be days before anyone even knows to come looking. 25-50 sq miles of area isn't quite her idea of me being able to get myself right out and to the hospital in an emergency.

26-Oct-16
Some seem to equate bowhunting as a some sort of social activity. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but for me bowhunting is about bowhunting. I prefer to hunt alone, but would admit that it is nice to have someone along in camp when you are 1000+ miles from home. I don't mind hunting with friends on occasion either, as long as I can get in some solo hunting as well.

26-Oct-16
Ed- maybe we can work something out! ;-) I have nobody "local" to hunt with either. All my friends either have their own little plot of land to hunt, or have permission on other private property where I don't. So I end up going out solo all the time.

I used to have less time to hunt as I took my son to his bowling league on Sat. mornings.

Now he is in college this year, so I have most Saturdays free but nobody to go with.

You have a PM! : )

26-Oct-16
Whoever said take a kid hit the nail squarely on the head! If seeing the excitement in their face of seeing their first deer and better yet shooting their first deer with a bow doesn't stoke the fire then you might as well take up golf!

26-Oct-16
ASCTLC, that's exactly why I always have a SPOT in my pack year round. I go off to places nobody knows for many days at a time. If my wife really needs me she can find me from the links I send her nightly.

I guess the SPOT is my hunting buddy now. Never complains, ready to go wherever I go, doesn't eat much or have a drinking problem. Not much help packing out an elk or dealing with a broken ankle, but it will quickly summon someone who can help.

26-Oct-16
Listening or reading on here gets me going and thinking back to the 70's when was a young bowhunter and thought I knew something, but generally had clouded judgment. The information sharing on here ramps me up thinking, if I knew what these young guys on here have access to, I'd not have had a tag in my pocket for so long during a season. I'm hoping my son and I hunt at least one day together this year, but my wife and I are buddies in the woods, hunting and sharing our experiences together. She is my "young hunter" I suppose, and I sure get excited watching her having trouble pulling her bow back while being stared down by a deer. This year, I'm sitting high up in a stand and videoing from above, while she's in her ground blind in front of me.

In short, to rekindle your love of bowhunting, do as others here are saying. Change it up and see where it goes.

26-Oct-16
Bowhunting is not what it used to be, way too easy these days. Little challenge with all the technology, not much of an accomplishment at least on most species. Money can buy the rest.

26-Oct-16
drycreek: No, the construction industry, or what's left of it. I don't have enough work for a real crew anymore, so I and one other man do all the work. That's doesn't leave much time for hunting unless it's real close by.

26-Oct-16
"doesn't... have a drinking problem. "

Oh Lou, that was a low blow. For the record, I drink a lot, but I have a high tolerance ;) I had a really good time last fall too though. Actually, with it getting dark at 5, that is was hunt that it was great to have a partner to hang out with in the evenings...and who owns a nice, comfortable, warm camper.

+1 about the SPOT. Truthfully it can be a little daunting being by yourself in the middle of nowhere. A SPOT has changed that for me and my wife (she sleeps better knowing I'm alive and unrevenantized). Even if you have a partner with you, if anything serious happens you will most likely be using the SPOT. A very good friend of mine is a flight medic in SW CO and his territory is the Uncompahgre national forest. He responds to any SPOT calls in the area. He told me from the moment you hit SOS, they will be within 50' of you in 3 hours. Pretty impressive, IMHO.

Also, where would I find out about a mentoring program in NE? I often thought that would be a really rewarding thing to do.

26-Oct-16
Bowhunting is the second most important aspect of my life, right behind my family. It is what gets me through the day to day grind of life. But, I am a year round archer/bowhunter. It has provided me with so many reasons to enjoy this life we have been blessed with, in an era while there are still wild lands available to roam and game animals as abundant as any of our great grandparents could have hoped for. Take a second and imagine what our great grandchildren will inherit and what the opportunities for them will look like... I don't take this for granted, I take it seriously. As far as drive is concerned, like I pointed out earlier, I 'train' year round with bowhunting in mind. I eat healthy, "Run, lift, & shoot" virtually everyday, study topos, scout year round, spend time camping and generally being outdoors, testing and evaluating gear, researching future hunting opportunities, etc. I started this at 21 and am now 47 and the fire inside still burns hot. While out on my long runs I am always dreaming of the Rocky Mountains, chasing rutting bulls, spring gobblers and rutting whitetails here in Virginia, Texas hogs, Canadian moose and black bears. It never ends. It never stops becoming challenging. It keeps me healthy, sharp, and most of all, ALIVE. In the end, this lifestyle will be my way of combatting all the typical ailments that afflict so many men in America. So far its working out great for me. I guess we all just see this differently.

26-Oct-16
I think about this a lot because I grew up hunting a PA deer camp with a core group of about a dozen guys, extended family of mine that owns the place. I enjoy going back there as much as ever, but it gets to be a little crowded so I really enjoy hunting the vast public lands around me solo as well. A mix of both is ideal, camp for the beer and camaraderie but my most serious hunting is solo which is great until you get one down a mile back in and you're all alone. All the other guys at camp are a generation older than me though, a few of my cousins are more casually into hunting but none as serious as us. There is going to come a day when the older guys at camp will be too old to get out or move on to a better place, and I will definitely miss that part of hunting.

It's harder to find a good hunting partner than it is a wife. I have one friend that I trust with my spots and after I've had a couple interesting/bad/dangerous experiences hunting with other friends and acquaintances I don't even try it anymore.

26-Oct-16
I hate going hunting when my son can't go with. We really enjoy our time at camp together building the memories. I don't look forward to the days when his family life will impact our time hunting together.

26-Oct-16
I don't know anyone locally that likes to bowhunt as much as I do. The only people I have found that like it as much as I are friends I have met on forums from other states. I hunt alone locally and abroad. But I do get to hunt with friends out of state on occasion and I have loved it. I learned a long time ago that if I depend on a partner to hunt, I won't be hunting much. I don't even ask friends to help track/retrieve deer now. I just take my 2 girls. It makes it fun as they are so excited and they are actually good trackers.

26-Oct-16
It's the sitting/waiting I don't like so much anymore. There's several stages of hunting: 1) anticipation, 2) preparation , 3) the act of hunting - including sitting, 4) shooting mode, 5) blood trailing/tracking/recovery and 6) work (gutting/dragging/skinning/butchering).

Of these six, my order of preference are: 4, 1, 5, 2, 3 then 6.

To me number 4 is tops because the moment game is spotted and I make the decision to take a shot if one is presented, this is where when I go into auto pilot mode. Everything else on my mind is completely gone and my only focus is on that animal. For some, this is when adrenaline kicks in, which can either be harnessed or let go.

I picked number 1 second and it wasn't until a few years ago that I realized this either. BTW, I've been bowhunting 30 years now. I always thought number 3 was second on my list, and maybe when I was younger it was, but when I look back I've always enjoyed the anticipation, I just didn't realize it. Anticipation can be the planning of a new trip you decide to go on, or the decision to go back to next year. It can be anticipation in the off season, or the day before opener. It can also be anticipation on any given day of the season, deciding to go hunting at any given day or time, or deciding at the last moment to go to another stand because the wind change. Basically, anticipation is what can get you through long sits, but it can also be lost. This is why I love going on out of state hunts and I like to drive with a friend or group. Anticipation is high and everyone is jacked up and it doesn't matter whose driving because nobody else can sleep. I realized this last year after going on a Nebraska hunt and I was done within the first 2-3 hours. I shot a P&Y 8 pointer, but I was a bit disappointed afterwards that my hunt was done. Obviously being on vacation out of state was better than anything else at the time, but all I wanted was for another 360 days to go by in order to return. I wanted the anticipation back to where it was just 24 hours ago.

I choose 5 as third because it's an extension of number 4 and anticipation keeps you going. Without anticipation 5 is pointless.

Number 2 can be many things, including but not limited to scouting, checking trail cameras, loading your crap for an out of state hunt, getting dressed in camo for the next sit, hanging stands, etc.

Number 3 should be higher, and it can be at times, but when I hunt locally I find that once I get situated on stand or in a blind, then it's like reality sets in. I was all jacked up and excited a short while ago, then it starts to fade. This can also be driven by anticipation, but can only get you by for so long then it's just a matter of playing the waiting game.

Lastly, number 6. I don't mind the work, it's just the last step, or parts of it come after completing a hunt before the next hunt begins.

So really, the act of hunting may not be as fun anymore, but for me, there's many aspects of the hunt I still enjoy doing, which is why I won't stop hunting. This is why I tend to hunt less than I did when I was younger. I also realized the same thing can be said for Christmas. I remember being deflated after Xmas morning, even if I got what I wanted. It was the days leading up to Xmas that I actually enjoyed and this too I didn't realize until later in life. I like the holiday parties, the Xmas commercials, the decorations and the chaos at the stores. Even if family comes over and gifts aren't opened until later that day, just being the 25th and knowing the festivities have come to an end makes Xmas Day one of the most depressing days of the year.

26-Oct-16
Few things to do if you feel unhappy. #1. Quit watching hunting shows and go pick up a magazine. #2. Quit running cameras #3. Quit trying to get animals where you want them to be and start going to where they already are. #4. Go scout a piece of land mid day that you have never hunted on. Take your bow and if you find a spot sit there and see what happens. #5. Accept the deer that gives you the opportunity to harvest it. #6 Get out of the blind/stand and hunt deer like you do turkeys (rattle, grunt, wait then move) Lucky #7 Hunt hungry and then ask yourself at the end of the day if you would be eating due to the encounters of the day (if yes then you did well pilgrim)

26-Oct-16
Missouribreaks, interesting perspective. I assume you use a longbow and hunt public land, and it's still too easy? You must be a hell of a hunter.

Here in CO, even with all of the technology and money, the success rate has remained virtually unchanged since the early '80s. Wonder why? In my home units, archery elk is 7-9%. Always has been.

26-Oct-16
Teeton, be glad that your able to hunt and still able to hunt with your buddy even though it's not every weekend. This is the fourth anniversary of my hunting buddies death, fell out of his stand, wasn't wearing a saftey harness and broke his neck.go out and find a new hunting partner or maybe you need to reevaluate why you hunt. Go out and hunt some public land and meet a couple guys who hunt the hard way, maybe you'll get a new hunting buddy. Missouribreaks, x2 jaquomo, I hunt with a lb on public and there is nothing easy about it. Give it a try and I don't think you will think it's so easy.

26-Oct-16
" I learned a long time ago that if I depend on a partner to hunt, I won't be hunting much." - Bowfreak

Heard that.

26-Oct-16
Jaquomo x2....

Jimmy, the statistic for success on archery elk is around 10%..... Sounds like technology isn't helping 90% of archery elk hunters. A lot of it depends on the spot, and yes, if you have $ and want it bad enough you can get it. Still takes a lot of hard work for the rest of us blue collar types hunting public land and getting private access the old fashioned way.

26-Oct-16
Well,im in a tent right now,solo,as far as I can get from anyone,, hunting for 15 more days..I'm not in the deep Western mountains,ak,or bc,,I'm in damn ole Illinois... couldn't be happier..I do hunt with some buddies once a year...with that said..I'm happier hunting alone..causes me to heighten my awareness,and my safety, to each is own I guess..

26-Oct-16
I picked up a recurve and got serious about hunting with it. Have never had as much fun as I have had this fall. Score means nothing anymore, I feel like a kid again!

26-Oct-16
First,, thanks for all the replys..

Kinda surprised at the number of guys that like to hunt by them self.

Now I was not talking about western hunting or trip hunts. It seems that I can always find guys to go on the planned (trip) type hunt. I was talking about a local guy that liked to hunt as much and the way I do, with scouting setting up tree stands, weekend trips to NY or Nj. Now when we would get to our local hunting spot we didn't hunt together, we go our separate ways. At times we could be 1 mile apart. It was alway fun have someone to chat with. Making plans and so on, on our drive to our hunting local. I did hunted Ny about 2 years after my buddy could not go anymore. The planning driving up setting up the camper, hunting and coming back to the camper each night with no one to chat with about the days hunt just wasn't as appealing anymore.

It's 9:30 and just got home from work. I'll chat more about this but I've been so busy with work and trying to get a bunch of last minute maintenance done on my building before winter and before I take off for the last week of the PA deer season. Hopefully I won't be so busy that I'll get to check out the Bowsite from work tomorrow.

NutRut,, I can't find the pm's on this new bowsite system. Maybe it because Im on my phone??? I got to get a new computer at home. The old one is fried!!! One more thing for some reason and it's away been this way . I can't get the same pm's at home as work. Even after reading them, I'd open up my PM's box at work and I'd open up the PM box at home and never ever the same p.m. :)

Again thank for all the replys,, Ed

26-Oct-16
Twinetickler: I did that about a decade ago and it was the best move I ever made.

26-Oct-16
Ed, do a true live hunt on here and you'll have plenty of virtual buddies to chat with back at the camper!

I like to listen to serious rock and roll when driving and nobody I know who I hunt with likes my kind of music anyway. At night I like to read, work on articles or presentations, think about the hunt. So for me it's a way to get away from people and focus on something I love. But I know others who don't relish being alone for days at a time, and understand.

PMs on the "new" Bowsite: On my phone, the top left has a drop down menu. Scroll to the very bottom and you'll find "My Bowsite". Inside that is the PM tab.

26-Oct-16
Awesome Woods Walker....there is just something about getting back to the basics. I'm still learning a lot and I think that's what I enjoy too! Much more to it than just point and shoot....well not much more to it I guess haha. Gooder luck this fall. If I can't hunt with my Dad I prefer to hunt solo. Haven't found anybody else that quite gets it like we do as a team.

26-Oct-16
I don't know how to edit my post to fix my terrible English, but what I meant to say was "good" luck. "Gooder" is better luck maybe?

26-Oct-16
The OP did not define bowhunting. These days it may involve a 90% let off compound, crosscompound, or traditional bow. As a matter of fact I am in my 43rd year of using a selfbow(flatbow) and wood arrows. I was speaking to "bowhunting" in the newly formed all encompassing general term, whatever that is. I hunt private and public.

26-Oct-16
So Missouribreaks, how do you explain the flatline in success rates in most areas in light of all the advancements within your definition of "bowhunting"?

And what in the hell do your posts have to do with the topic of this thread. Unless you don't enjoy it anymore because someone else hunts with different equipment than you choose? Sounds like you have an axe to grind. Grind away, while the rest of us hunt and enjoy it.

27-Oct-16

ahunter55's embedded Photo
Well fellas, 2016 starts SIXTY years bowhunting. I started in 1956, hunted Illinois 1st ever deer season (1957) missed 4 shots & killed my 1st in 1958 on my 1st shot. I started with Longbows & recurves, switched to compounds & now shoot both Longbow & Compounds.. It's called ARCHERY & I love it all. I don't care if you hunt with a switch or compound, neither makes us a better bowhunter. I bowhunted with my best hunting buddy for 30 years (my brother) & now other than with buddies in an out of state bowhunt, solo as I now live in another state. It is fun to share a hunt but my desire is there, solo or otherwise.. It is hilarious listening to us lie to each other around a good campfire though. That, I miss..

27-Oct-16
I agree its not as fun as it used to be! But what is after you do anything for a long period of time?

You have a favorite meal or desert? Well eat it all the time and guess what, It soon will not be your favorite meal.

Hunting is no different. So far this year I have hunted one freaking evening and that was opening evening and I didn't see squat!

Why haven't I been back out? Well the desire to kill is gone I now yearn for the hunt more than the kill and by that I mean everything that goes into the hunt. The bonfire at night, the cold beers and stories, The squirrels running around sounding like a herd of deer. The same dink 4 point that comes into every grunt you make. I have not had as much fun for several years. I wrote a post about it last year. My dad's diabetes scares the hell out of me. He has ticker issues as well.

I have a daughter who is all in for the hunt until its time to wake up then she just wants to sleep in. I wont let her stay in the camp by herself so I end up not hunting. Luckily my wife goes with us most of the times so she can stay with Morgan, but then I am running late to the stand. Morgan has killed 5 deer now and she is an amazing shot with her crossbow. she is holding super tight groups shooting free handed vs. a rest. She will be joining Jack Harris and I this Sunday to hunt and maybe Monday. She will be back out next weekend and staying thru election day. She doesn't have school because we vote at her school.

I am president of our Hunt Club and the internal politics of a bunch of men complaining gets freaking old quick. I swear if I had the coin to buy the place I would then they would all be my guest. The first one to bitch would be told to pack their stuff.

I guess what has really changed is when it was fun it was about me and no one else there was so little to worry about.

I do agree that taking kids is the ultimate rush. I have been hosting the youth hunt on my lease for over 10 years now its been great to see the kids playing in Gods playground. I find a boatload of enjoyment watching them with all the other kids.

I have been with all 3 of my kids when they got their first deer. I was better than any deer I ever got by myself.

I do enjoy teaching my wife the beginnings of her hunting career. She seems to be getting more into it than I thought she would.

I am looking very forward to hunting with Jack Harris from Bowsite. I have wanted to hunt with him for a few years now. (We are not related but I know he comes from an excellent bloodline). OK my rant why hunting isn't as much fun as it use to be is over!

27-Oct-16

27-Oct-16

27-Oct-16

27-Oct-16
Twine: No problem, I knew what you meant.

I know what you mean about your dad. I have a select group of guys that I will hunt with, but even out of that group there's only two I will track with. I'd far rather track by myself most of the time.

27-Oct-16
The flat line is explained by better technology such as instant( phone line) trail cameras, bait, 90% let off, crossbows, high tech hunting stands and towers, mechanical feeders, ATV's, GPS's, drones, deer farming etc..... soooo, hunters spend less time scouting, practicing, and hard hunting. It becomes a compensatory thing.

Bowhunting today is a farce when compared to the pre 1970 years, I was there. For proof look at the P&Y entries today vs the Fred Bear days. In fact, look at Fred's whitetail entries. The OP asked if it is more fun today for me, the answer is no. Although I have not changed my hunting efforts, the entire world of bowhunting has changed and been redefined. IMO, and just my opinion, not for the good of anything.

27-Oct-16
Missouribreaks, If I am to understand your position on this, bow hunting is no longer fun for you because other bow hunters use different equipment and are more successful than previous generations... And their choices somehow negatively impact your ability to enjoy your hunt? Weird argument.

27-Oct-16
Bowhunting is the way it is today because that is what todays hunters created, it did not happen on it's own. As an example, hunters created the demand for 90% let off compounds and then the 100% let off crossbow, not the manufacturers. Companies produce what people want to buy, it does not happen in reverse. Markets are tested and if a demand is there, it expands. The hunters have to accept sole responsibility for the crossbow demand and inclusion...as one example. And, the compound revolution enabled the next evolution from 90% let off to 100%, which is all a crossbow really is. The crossbow is simply part of the compound evolution from the 1970's 30% let off, to 50%, then 60%, then 70%, then 90% and finally the 100% crosscompound. Why do people deny that? Personally, I will be glad when crossbows replace the compound, then there will be a more clear distinction from my selfbow style, and others who claim to be bowhunters. The draw by hand argument will be gone forever. You cannot compare a bow that stacks to one that lets off. I never did like the argument that longbows and compounds are the same because they are both drawn by hand, dumbest argument ever. Bring on the crossbows and clear up the distinction please!

27-Oct-16
Missouribreaks-I understand what you are saying but I don't understand how the way any other person hunts affects YOUR enjoyment of hunting?

27-Oct-16
The bowhunting fraternity, experience and enjoyment is far more than cutting the arrow loose. The P&Y club, various State and local organizations were, and are, all part of the pleasurable experience. Look at the changes, and in some instances, the demise of many of these clubs as bowhunters leave bowhunting for the crossbow ranks. I think most of you are too young to understand the principles bowhunting was founded on, and that is ok. As others have said, things change. In this case, bowhunters have changed and in the course have tried to redefine what bowhunting actually is. To the 12 year old, bowhunting is picking up the scoped crossbow and plugging a deer at 60 yards. The future expectation is developing as we type. You can deny it if you choose, enough said.

27-Oct-16
I feel sorry for you, Missouribreaks. I've been shooting trad bows for over 50 years, have killed many trophy animals with longbows and recurves, recently bought a compound because I wanted to try something different, and now shoot all three (longbow, recurve, and compound). I'm having more fun than ever.

Why don't you tell us about the "principles bowhunting was founded on". The founders took wild long shots beyond their effective range, thought nothing of wounding animals, just tried to get an arrow in them somewhere.

I'll bet you are a sourpuss in other aspects of your life too. Too bad, but on the bell curve of human behavior there will always be some for whom nothing is ever as good as it "was", the glass is half empty, whatever. Turn that frown upside down and don't worry about what others are hunting with. Why should you care, unless you are feeling inferior because you can't kill as any animals or as large of animals as someone shooting a compound. That's sure what it sounds like from your posts.

Too bad for you.

27-Oct-16
I've always been more of a solo hunter so having a hunting buddy isn't as important to me. What gets me down is I am primarily a public land guy and my spots seem to be getting pounded hard this year. Kinda has me down a little bit.

27-Oct-16
jaquomo, your comprehension (and perhaps education) is severely lacking. As I mentioned, I am all for the crossbow season and I explained my reasons. Base your thoughts on logic, not emotion. I am very logical in my explanations, no emotions whatsoever. Please do not feel sorry for me, I have had the pleasure of hunting all over the US including Alaska eight times, Canada 20 times, and parts of Africa.

Please reread my 12 year old new hunter scoped crossbow example and you tell the world it is not logical! Remember, use logic over emotions. You should know that by your age.

27-Oct-16
Longbow/recurve vs compound is the same arguement as wading and flyfishing vs bassboat and bassfishing. Complete nonsense to waste time on.

I know a guy that sees all bowhunters, compound and longbow/recurve alike, as "forest fairies" anyway, so...

27-Oct-16
All I can suggest is keep the friendship open. Family responsibility changes as the family changes. I had a friend I bowhunted with all the time, then kids came, sports happened, family happened and we drifted, trying now to reconnect, but our families at the time were simply at different places (his daughters where our babysitters). As his kids grow, his time availability will change.

27-Oct-16
As for my original post that started this thread. I was referring to not having anyone too hunt with locally like I use to 6 or 7 years back and that I don't hunt in Ny or Nj because of not having anyone to go with. I guess the title should said,,

Bowhunting not as much fun anymore because I don't have a local hunting partner .

PLEASE !!! Lets not turn this into folks getting upset with one another. Jaquomo,, thanks for pointing out where the pm's are. I have a few in there.. Rut nut I'll get back to you soon. Ed

27-Oct-16
Good luck everyone, the OP has clarified. Have fun hunting and best of times.

27-Oct-16
I graduated 8th grade with honors, thank you very much. I can read most words except some of the big ones, and know what most of them mean.

Still waiting to understand what a 12 year old kid with a crossbow has to do with YOUR enjoyment of bowhunting. Perhaps you feel that your way is purer, and if all were as pure as you the world would be a better place.

If a guy is hunting with a crossbow on one side of the mountain and another guy is hunting with a compound or muzzleloader on the other side, and I'm sitting there with a longbow looking at a bull I've called into 7 yards, their weapon choice has nothing to do with MY enjoyment.

I feel sorry for you because you present yourself as a sour old grouch who believes he is highly intelligent, who has staked a moral high ground over a silly weapon choice, and now can't enjoy hunting knowing someone, somewhere is using a more efficient weapon. Perhaps you are not that person at all, just angry because everyone doesn't use a selfbow. But my limited cognitive abilities have ciphered your writin's as such.

So please tell us, wise old sage, what does a 12 year old kid with a crossbow or a .243 have to do with your enjoyment of what you do?

27-Oct-16
Some of you guys are really negative and depressing ppl. I guess I'm lucky. I got a hunting partner that I do 80-90% of my hunting with and we are on the same levels in most aspects. We motivate one another and help each other get better. Both have different views and are open to eachothers suggestions that makes us both better. My fire is lit more and more each year as I get to explore our country and hunt some awesome places. I guess it's a positive attitude that gets us there. Some complain. Others find a way. I admit if I lost my huntin homie things prob wouldn't be quite the same for me but I would continue to hunt just as much.

Remember the difference between an adventure and an ordeal is attitude :)

27-Oct-16
Trail153 made me laugh...I agree with the frustrations of NY. A friend and I have 70+ years of combined bowhunting in pretty good habitat with a good amount of access. We hit it pretty hard. We have 1 deer North of 130"....dismal. Breaking 100" is a real feat here. Our long gun season sucks - for hunting (and my marriage). I enjoy the stories and whiskey in camp but prefer to do my own thing. Guys who are feeling down about not seeing deer etc...are not what I want to listen to. I love it even though I'm never gonna get a "big" one here

27-Oct-16
If anyone is having a hard time enjoying hunting like they used to I would challenge them to remove themselves from any sort of hunting media, online, TV, or read. Step 2, don't use a single trail camera. Step 3 - go hunting. Blind to what others are doing, just immerse yourself in the hunt. I would be willing to bet you'd enjoy it once more. As others have said, take a kid with you and see how much fun you have.

27-Oct-16
I used trail cameras for a couple years. I use the term "cameras" loosely though, because it was more like one camera. Then I quit doing it. Didn't like where I saw it was going for me personally. I still enjoy looking at other peoples photos, and would still consider using one in the future, but not as a scouting tool for me.

I'm thinking about stringing up the Grizzly and pulling a hamblaster on something, since of course I haven't practiced a lick in a while, just to make 'ol Missouribreaks happy. Wanna be like the codgers of yore you know? He seems to be letting his emotions get the best of him.

27-Oct-16

Missouribreaks's Link
Good plan. Start here, this is where the Codgers and other Stickbow hunters hang out.

27-Oct-16
You mean the place where they lambast you for asking simple questions in regards to hunting with "traditional" equipment? Yep, know just where that is.

27-Oct-16
+1000 APauls. Remove the hype and the drama and the enjoyment definitely goes up.

Missouribreaks-I had to laugh. Even before clicking the link I knew it was the leatherwall aka. the community forum of archery :)

27-Oct-16
Leatherwall. LOL!!! That's a good place for you, Missouribreaks. The Command Center for archery fascism.

The Bowsite is for bowhunters of all weapon choices. We have fun on this forum. Glad you wandered over here, and thanks for stopping by!

27-Oct-16
My experience is the opposite.... I'm enjoying hunting more and more the older I get. It keeps my energy and enthusiasm up when I see all those around me my age are circling looking for a soft place to land.....

I have a pretty regular hunting partner who is even more into it than I am. We both hunt a lot separately too. I hunt at least once a week, year round, he likely hunts 3 or maybe 4 days a week. There is one thing about having a partner..... when you commit to a hunt you can't get lazy and back out. Our favorite line when crankin' one another up for a hunt is "can't kill em on the couch ya know...."

Personally, I hunt to get away from people. I have no real wish or need to socialize when hunting. I'm quite happy to be alone, even for a week or two (that's about as long as I've been in the field at one time). I can have fun at camp. It's OK. But when I go hunting.... I'm hunting. I don't sleep in or take a day off. Some folks don't like that I get back in the dark and late. I don't leave a prime area (usually the farthest in it seems) at prime time. Never quit until I have to. That's a lot of "I"s for sure, but that's the deal.... I hunt for me and to me it's ALL about the hunt, not hanging around with a bunch of people at camp. "I" love it and am having more fun and more excited every year.....

And don't really care how anyone else hunts within the law. In fact, it's my understanding..... some folks even hunt with GUNS! Can you imagine that? How, what they hunt with means nothing to me, bowhunting is not a religion, more along the lines of a passion. Should I care if somebody likes to date ugly girls too? Why?

27-Oct-16
I really can't say bowhunting isn't fun anymore because of lack of local partners, 'cause there are 8 or 10 in our group that spend a month in elk camp and have a fantastic Sept.

If I didn't have this obsession about wild game to eat, I'd probably not even hunt big game anymore. Just hunt birds with the dogs.

That being said, I leave tomorrow for Kodiak on a PBS hunt with a bunch of guys I've hunted with for years and at least one I haven't met, but I'm pretty sure this will be a fantastic hunt and will set up situations for future hunts.

Gotta go pack.

27-Oct-16
Hi Ed, A few suggestions for you. Do you belong to a hunting club where you can meet local bowhunters? when my brother and I moved an hour away my dad joined a club and he has met a ton of sportsman that are his age. they hunt together all the time when he is not with us on a trip. Do you belong to a Facebook group, here is MA we have Boston Bowhunters and its a group of die hard bowhunters that are constantly meeting and doing hunts/scouting/blood trailing together. I have to say this really surprised me how generous and outgoing this group is, treat everyone with respect and help eachoother under the craziest conditions. I believe if you look for it, you will find new friends locally that have the same passion to hunting as you do and want to hunt with you. Best of luck, XMan

27-Oct-16
I'm going to get back to everyone that said something to me or asking a question. Just can't all at one time. As I'm doing this on my phone. So bear with me!

So I'll start with Xmas question. . YES I do belong to a club. The one friend that I talked above about is in it and so is one of the guys that don't bow hunt that much anymore. All the others don't bowhunt.

For the guys that posted about taking kids. I have taken kids hunting. But the kind of hunting I want to do, I would rather have adult hunter. As we would go to some of our hunting local even though one was only 25 minutes away and camp out in the rv. I just enjoyed that kind of hunting. When we went out hunting in the morning we pretty much didn't come back to the rv most of the time till after dark. We would at times come home Sunday morning if we didn't leave there and go to NY to hunt Sunday. As PA has no Sunday hunting. Then the last week of the Pa season we would go up Friday night hunt Saturday morning. Then go grocery shopping , as we would be there 8 or 9 days. Funny part is we where only 25 minutes from our homes. Ed

27-Oct-16

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Here is bunch of 'local guys' [Colorado/Wyoming] that have the same interests and most are members here on Bowsite. We hook up at my place a couple times a year a have some fun.

Some of the guys in the pic are - Jaquomo, otcwill, Paul@thefort, Deertick, Grasshopper... and so on...

I would hunt with any of them and have hunted with several.

Its up to yourself to find the finer things in life, and enjoy it with like-minded friends

27-Oct-16
The one common denominator for [bow]hunting whether with someone or solo is the chance to tell the world "good luck with that, see you on the flip side".

27-Oct-16
Just to throw it out there because nobody has said it (I think): Have you thought about taking some time off? Nothing drives the final nail in the coffin like forcing yourself to do something you really aren't into. Some time off may be all you need to reflect on what you really love about hunting. Who knows, maybe it isn't hunting you like as much as hanging out with your friend. There's nothing wrong with that. To put it simply, if you aren't having fun, don't do it. Hunting is mostly fun. If you have to force it, it isn't fun.

28-Oct-16

I took my Longbow AND my compound to my stand this afternoon. My Longbow goal is smaller than my Compound Goal on Bucks. I was solo as I haven't had a buddy to hunt with since I left Ill.. (20 years) "except" with friends on out of state hunts. Anyway, 2016 makes 60 years in the sport as I've mentioned & If I hadn't tapped my stand with my Longbow tip, I would have killed this guy (main frame 8 + 3-4 kickers) at 8 yds tonight after having tickle rattled him in. He's about to sniff my scent rag in that pine tree. I put down the camera & got my bow then but the tap put him in thick cover.. I've killed bigger but the thought of killing one the way I started had my heart pumping big time solo or not..

28-Oct-16
AndyJ is right. Too much of anything is never good. I once had hunted so much one fall/winter on both my hunts on going on other people's hunts that I got sick of hunting and sat out one spring turkey season because of it and did more fishing instead.

Now, I pace myself on hunting and limit to how much I go out and do it. I also do not use all my PTO days for hunting like I used to and get more of a balance in things.

28-Oct-16
I enjoy the camaraderie of bowhunters. Even if it were a motley crew like above in cnelk's degenerate dog porn photo. I enjoy solo hunting.

Bowhunting is less fun for me when responsibilities and obligations reduce, infringe upon or intrude and I end up with less bowhunting, or bowhunting that's shoehorned into a demanding schedule. I suspect your buddies may be experiencing some of that.

If you prefer the camaraderie when scouting and hunting, make another connection or two and add some more partners to the mix.

I aspire to one day becoming a hunting whore. If I make it there, I'll be more than happy to travel about the country, scout, hunt, pack... I have no doubt that I'd be on the winning side of that equation, but I'd like to think that I make a good companion... affable, enthusiastic, furry and non-manscaped...kind of like a somewhat dim-witted, but somewhat lovable dog.

I'm just not going to take any compromising pictures with cnelk and Lou.

30-Oct-16
Andyj,, don't want to quit huntin as I still love to hunt. Just miss one part that I looked real forward to.

IdyllwildArchery,, I'm seriously looking into the P&Y convention this year. May try to find someone from around where I live to drive out with and share and room. But i never met a member in 20 years from around Northeast Pa.. Maybe tonight I'll look into flight costs. Ed

30-Oct-16
Ed, the P&Y convention is inspiring and huge fun. Just the Bowfight social is worth the price of admission. I'll bet you will find a kindred spirit or two to help rekindle your fire.

Orionsbrother, Cnelk induced one of our Hooters girls from last Christmas to stop by for custom pre-hunt manscaping right after that photo was taken. Even Moose the dog was shorn to look like a lion. :)

31-Oct-16
I'm in the same boat. My life has been very crazy lately with a 7 month old and a 6 year old and work has been incredibly busy. So when I have free time, I don't want something that requires a lot of work or effort and if I want to be successful out hunting, it does require a good amount of work or effort. So I just can't get excited to go sit out in a treestand and possibly not see anything at all.

I also struggle with being very introverted, so I don't like to socialize an incredible amount, but sometimes it's not fun to go out all by myself. Add to that, I'm disabled, so I can't do everything easily on my own, especially if I shoot a deer, I need assistance.

Lastly, my dad is 74 now and he doesn't enjoy bowhunting as much as I do, but he loves to gun hunt, that's all he seems to look forward to. I don't like gun hunting, I just don't like shooting a 12 ga slug. I've missed more deer than I've hit and it just kicks the crap out of me. I know I could invest in a 20 gauge or something that doesn't kick so much but I don't really want to put more money in to a shotgun.

So you add all that up and I just can't get excited about hunting.

• Sitka Gear