Bou'bound 28-Oct-16
Sixby 29-Oct-16
Stringwacker 29-Oct-16
LBshooter 30-Oct-16
BALIOS 30-Oct-16
LBshooter 30-Oct-16
BALIOS 30-Oct-16
26-Oct-16
When you buy a product that says "lifetime guarantee" what does that mean to you?

26-Oct-16
That it will perform as designed and advertised as long as it is used as intended and not mistreated for a resonable span of 60 years.

26-Oct-16
It will last for its entire lifetime

26-Oct-16
It is hard. I think it really depends on product. What is a reasonable lifetime for that product. Maybe I am wrong, but with something like boots, can you really expect them to last 60 years even if you take care of them? I usually walk the soles on mine off in 2-3 years.

26-Oct-16
I believe, according to the BBB, it means a product will perform as expected for what is considered the normal lifespan of said product type.

Beyond that, each warranty has it's own description as to what is covered, and for how long.

Remember: "lifetime" means expected product life, not the consumer's life.

26-Oct-16
I believe it means that the manufacture will repair or replace any problems not caused through neglect or damage (so it does not cover if you drive over it), excluding normal wear or maintenance items such as a belts, filters, strings and it assumes you perform routine maintenance such as lubrication at the manufactures recommended schedule (i.e. if you do not use and SAE oil in you car it voids the warranty. Usually the warranty is not transferable if you sell it unless specifically stated.

26-Oct-16
My lifetime, or the lifetime of the person who sold it to me and said, "lifetime guarantee"

26-Oct-16
I have been wondering the same thing. With the new Cabela's adds promising a lifetime guarantee, including their brand of waders. What happens when they leak in 3 or 4 years? I can't believe they will replace them. My definition of lifetime is as long as I am alive!

26-Oct-16
30days , let be realistic , it doest mean crap anymore , all things are now disposable .

26-Oct-16
My Dad owned a small Ford farm machinery business in the 70s. He always joked with the customers about his "Overhead guarantee".

"Sounds good, what does it mean?"

"Its guaranted to make it out the overhead door in the shop"

26-Oct-16
The lifetime of when I own it

26-Oct-16
it will never fail without them replacing it.

26-Oct-16
I generally look at the company making the claim. If it's a company I don't expect to be in business in a year doesn't matter what they guarantee me.

26-Oct-16
ill know in a week or so I just sent 6 prs of Darn Tuff socks back for new ones. They offer a lifetime guarantee.

26-Oct-16
Return with no ?'s asked.

26-Oct-16
I am going to disagree with AwHunt73. What you are talking about is a satisfaction guarantee and that is different.

26-Oct-16
Have a pair of meindl hiking boots from cabelas with lifetime guarantee. Used them for 2.5yrs in work and hiking settings. They wouldn't take back since i didn't use them exclusively for hiking. To me that's not a clear guarantee

26-Oct-16
How in the heck does one determine a "normal lifespan" for a product? So in other words, it has now become a worthless crock of crap slogan.

26-Oct-16
To answer the OP's question... to me it means for my lifetime, or until I sell or give away the product. At that point transferability of a lifetime guarantee comes into play, but it needs to be spelled out.

26-Oct-16
It means that I need to ask them to specify what their definition of lifetime is.....in writing.

26-Oct-16
Ironbow, are you having a problem with a product?

As far as your question, it doesn't mean "normal lifespan" to me. That'd be like saying "it's guaranteed to last until it stops working". I take it to mean the manufacturer guarantees to repair or replace the product for as long as you own it, assuming you have not abused the item in some obvious way. The manufacturer usually spells out the details very specifically though.

26-Oct-16
Ditto sticksender.

26-Oct-16
As mentioned, I got a Cabela's flyer with a game camera with a lifetime guarantee. So I took it into Cabela's and asked what that meant. Nobody was sure, but they said "the lifetime of the product".

So I asked, "what does that mean? Does it last 30 days or two years?" The box the camera was in said 1 year. I had to point that out, so they said one year. I then showed them the ad and said "so your lifetime guarantee is really deceptive. Why not just say one year?"

One of the 3 guys standing there agreed, the other two got huffy about it.

I sell bicycles for a living. The company offers a lifetime guarantee, meaning if the frame ever breaks from normal riding, they will replace it as long as the original owner owns it. I explained that to them, that was what a lifetime guarantee meant to me. As long as I owned it.

If that isn't what they mean, then put a time limit on it. If it is the life of the product, then tell me how long they expect the product to last (with normal use). Frankly, there are very few guarantees worth the paper they are written on anymore. It is deceptive to advertise this way, and misleading.

26-Oct-16
Midas muffler hates me. "Guaranteed for as long as you own your car....."

I drive a '76 IH Scout as my daily driver..... to their credit they have honored it. Was a struggle with the shop foreman.... but the store manager cleared things up nicely.

26-Oct-16
Darn Tough socks you won't have a problem.

Lifetime to me means if I buy it - it's my lifetime. If it's anything but that, then don't say "lifetetime!" How could you possibly claim "lifetime guarantee" and say for the normal lifespan later? That's terrible in my opinion.

26-Oct-16
Used to wear some socks sold by Cabelas that had a lifetime guarantee. About the third time they replaced them, voila !, they didn't sell them anymore............

26-Oct-16
To me lifetime means for my lifetime. Bass pro still sells lifetime socks. My Brother goes back about every 6-8 months to get new pairs, he works in a mine and wears them out fast.

If there is a set time period on the product then it is not lifetime.

26-Oct-16
Everything at Llbean has a lifetime guarantee. I bought a very expensive pair of waders from them about 10 years ago. They are very lightweight breathable waders. I was worried about the durability as I trout fish a lot. They have replaced the waders when they have leaked 4 times. No questions asked. When they no longer made the model I had they gave me full credit towards another pair. I could not possibly ask for more from them. If I am looking for gear, boots, whatever they get my business if they carry it. I'd normally never spend 250 on hiking boots but I didn't have a problem spending the money with them as I know they will replace them if I have any problems at all. No questions asked. That in my mind is a true lifetime warranty.

26-Oct-16
If at Cabelas I'd say it means lifetime of the product period. I've never had them decline to give me an exchange if nothing else.

26-Oct-16
I dunno. I was always told there wasnt any guarantees in life.

Low expectations = low diappointment

26-Oct-16
Most states have their own legalized definition as to what a lifetime Guarantee is!

For instance a auto manufacture may state they have a lifetime guarantee on paint on a car. Ohio says that is limited only to 7 years. When I look at a lifetime guarantee I want to see something like CRAFTSMAN TOOLS or my REDDINGTON fly rod. just take it back no questions asked ever!!!

27-Oct-16

27-Oct-16
I bought a pair of Zeiss 10X40's in 1986 (best investment I ever made, BTW...). At that time they had a lifetime guarantee that they spelled out as being "as long as they exist". I don't know if that still is Zeiss's policy, but it sure a hell impressed me!

27-Oct-16
To me it is the expected life span of the product. So it all depends on what the product is you are asking about.

27-Oct-16
Lifetime guarantee means your lifetime. This thought that it applies to the expected lifespan of the product makes no sense to me or, the English language. Sorry, not being mean. Just pointing out that if the gaurantee was for the lifetime of expected duration of the product, it should say that. Instead of "lifetime guarantee".

This is just an example of word play to get your business. Not manufactures standing behind their gaurantee. Nobody holds a gun to their head and makes them lie about it. They decide to do it then swindle out. God Blesd

27-Oct-16
WVM - No disrespect, brother, but you're applying a very narrow and potentially self-serving interpretation to the language there...

Having worked in an REI store and seen the abuse of their Lifetime Guarantee policy (which is now history), I will say that the people who expect a product to hold up indefinitely are directly responsible for the demise of that guarantee.

And beyond that, they're costing honest people money.

Replacing worn-out products "for free" isn't free for the retailer, which means that it's not FREE for anybody. The cost of honoring abusive claims against a warranty just gets baked into the price that EVERYBODY pays. And when the seller can't afford to honor the guarantee anymore... when that goes away... then someone with a legitimate claim is screwed.

The test of whether something is Ethical or not is pretty simple: What would happen if we ALL did it that way? If everybody is better off when more people behave in a certain way, it's Ethical. If not everybody benefits, and especially if others are harmed in some way, then it's Unethical.

So JMO, what "Lifetime" means is that if a properly maintained item should fail under normal use DUE TO A MANUFACTURING DEFECT, then that's a legitimate claim.

But if you walk the soles off of a pair of boots, or you drop a hot backpacking stove onto a down sleeping bag, or you crack a tent pole because you didn't have the sense to read the set-up card, or you wear a down jacket on every cold day for 20 years and it has lost its loft... That's on you . Don't expect me and everybody else who buys that item to subsidize your stupidity & greed.

27-Oct-16
Sorry GF, but if they don't have a product that is a quality product deserving of the label "lifetime guaranteed", then they shouldn't market it as such. That is the company's problem, not the consumer's. The fact that they want to twist wording around to benefit themselves and get more business, is again, their problem.

If they want to limit the use of the guarantee, they should spell it out in the beginning. Again, it's a game some companies will play to get business, but that shouldn't be laid at the feet of the consumer who expects the policy to be legit.

27-Oct-16
So you're saying there's no difference between guaranteed to not be defective and guaranteed to never wear out, no matter how much you use it?

I think those words are getting pretty twisted on both ends of that deal...

" The fact that they want to twist wording around to benefit themselves and [get free replacements on anything they can find a way to break or wear out], is again, their problem.

27-Oct-16
I had a similar experience as one of the other posters at Cabela's. I had a pair of Meindls and after 2 years of using them very sparingly and not abusing them, the soles started coming off. The clerk at Cabela's said the lifetime warranty meant one year. After not getting satisfaction, I asked to speak to her supervisor. The supervisor agreed with her but said she would replace them this time but never again. To me a lifetime warranty doesn't mean one year. If it's one year then say that.

27-Oct-16
The whole point is that if a product is not in fact guaranteed for life, then don't advertise it as such. A guarantee for the lifetime of the product really means zilch. It's like saying this product works every time... well of course except when it stops working, at which point you are guaranteed nothing.

Guarantees for the lifetime of the product are ambiguous and pointless. If one wants to guarantee a product for "its" lifetime, then put a number on what its lifetime is, e.g. 5 years. However, as already pointed out, some companies don't do that because they like to cash in on the tag line. It is really a reflection of today's society, where once a slogan like "lifetime guarantee" meant something, but has now been rendered meaningless.

27-Oct-16
And since I'm all in I'll make two more comments. 1) How does a consumer know if a product stops working because of defective craftsmanship, or if something simply wore out? 2) There is certainly a difference between a no-questions-asked policy and one that is more of a traditional guarantee, excluding negligent use.

27-Oct-16
Mathews replaced the lifetime guaranteed limbs on a 15 year old bow I had a couple of years ago....I was calling that pretty good at the time.

27-Oct-16
That WAS pretty good - though you have to wonder what they wold have told you if they didn't happen to still have a set lying around... ;)

I guess now is when I get to razz you about how a 3-year-old compound is about as useless as a 5-year-old laptop....

And not to hijack this thread completely, but Franzen asked :

" 1) How does a consumer know if a product stops working because of defective craftsmanship, or if something simply wore out? "

Seriously? Consumer electronics, maybe. But... Outdoor gear? Clothing? Boots? Knives?

Rool o' Thumm..... If it still looks like it ought to last a long while but it fails in one specific area, it's defective; if it's falling apart all over the place, it's probably plumb wore out.

27-Oct-16
I'll take your boot example and run with it. Let's say you get some boots with defective stitching holding the sole on... can't tell at a glance. You wear them for two 7-day hunting trips over a period of 6 years, but the soles start flopping around on the second trip. Company claims "lifetime guarantee", but decides that the guarantee only applies to a "product lifetime" of 5 years. You tell me who has a beef?

27-Oct-16
Well, we know who is voting for Hillary out of this thread.....

Same people who want a participation trophy, same pay as their boss, and free replacements of worn out or miss-used gear.

27-Oct-16
The real problem here is,its really not up to us,its spelled out in those 4 pages of gnat sized print in the bottom of the box. that says,,it's not really a lifetime, simply ...until you...break a written guideline.....your boots weren't serviced by an authorized dealer after 2 yrs...ect..very few companies stand behind just what lifetime guarantee implies.. very few

27-Oct-16
GF, you can say what ever you like but, I didn't make any company claim their product has a lifetime guarantee. Shouldn't proper use of the English vocabulary, with the intent on concise and clear communication, demand the warranty be written to express the criteria in which the company selling the product intends to warranty that product? Sure it should. That is the companies responsibility. It should be in no way a consumers role to determine what the companies warranty truly means. When you buy a car, they don't advertise it as having a lifetime guarantee. They tell you they will warranty it to a certain point. Why?

You can set here and philosophy why you think my view is narrow on the subject. But, I'm not claiming something then, backing out when my purposeful word play of the term lifetime guarantee is being called into question. I don't care where you've worked or what you think you know about it. It doesn't change the reality that lifetime guarantee should be honored for the lifetime of the product. If abuse is a concern, word the warranty like many companies currently do by saying as long as the product is being used as intended. It is that simple.

It is obvious that some companies have a good understanding of the English Language. And, use it correctly to explain what their warranty means. There are many companies that d this. It is a sign that they are doing their best to build a quality product that you can depend on. But, have no intentions of covering the misuse of their product. Pretty simple isn't it? Truthful too. A lot better than a company that claims lifetime but, tries to swindle out of it.

God Bless men.

27-Oct-16
I picture franzen as that cat with its back arched up..tail straight up,flaired out..claws dug in. ...fffftttt,.. however I do agree with him..

27-Oct-16
Experience has shown that it means it's warranted for the life of the company under it's current ownership which is typically much shorter than the product or consumers lifetimes. When the Cabelas sale to Bass Pro closes you can kiss any Cabelas lifetime warranties goodbye.

28-Oct-16
Lol, savage. Not exactly (I was pretty bored yesterday and haven't had much opportunity to hunt), but thanks though. Not sure where anyone posting on this thread expects what x-man listed, but I guess anyone is free to make any unsolicited and inaccurate claims they want.

28-Oct-16
It means the time until that company is no in business when I need to make good on the warranty.

28-Oct-16
Very little these days...

28-Oct-16
Cabelas used to have the best in the business. Then some people totally abused it. My friends at corporate told me about guys who outfitted themselves for big hunts, then returned everything afterward. Some were habitual, others trashed stuff and returned for replacement, and it ruined the program for everyone.

I used to have the opportunity to buy some of the returned "defective" gear, and most of it was perfectly fine. A pair of 9x40 Steiners are still going strong 25 years later. The guy used them on a 5 day pronghorn hunt, then returned them, boots, sleeping bag, etc.

28-Oct-16
Agreed Jaquomo: too many folks have abused companies in various ways.

If I drop something and it breaks, it's on me. I tell the company straight up and ask if what the price for repair will be. Most often they treat me more than fair.

But "lifetime" is a place I've been screwed on 2x.

Kowa spotting scope: Lifetime guarantee. I have a 20-year old scope, went to unscrew the lens cap and it wouldn't unscrew. Instead the entire body started spinning and I couldn't stop it because the spinning portion was inside the sun shroud that was also free spinning. Ended up unscrewing the body and opening the seal. Told company that straight up. They said, "not our problem, you unscrewed the scope". We no longer have seals for that scope but will give you a generous 25% off a new scope. No thanks.

Brunton binos had the HALO no-questions-asked warranty. Until I needed it, and they said they had eliminated that program, despite mine being registered and me having the paperwork.

In both cases I'm at the mercy of customer service. What am I going to do, sue? All I can do is move on with a company that I think will treat me better.

28-Oct-16
Smarba, so true. I bought a broken pair of Steiner Predators at a garage sale for real cheap. Sent them in to Steiner with a letter explaining the situation. Totally honest. I asked for an estimate on repair cost, if they could be repaired.

Two weeks later I received a brand new pair in the mail.

28-Oct-16
Jaq: yep, those are the type of companies I/we should all spread the word as going above & beyond.

With regards to optics, I've switched to Vortex and while I haven't had to deal with any warranty items, their customer service has been extremely helpful with questions, etc. and thus far I'm very impressed with their company and their glass.

28-Oct-16
Death and Taxes....these are both guaranteed for your lifetime.

28-Oct-16
I've always wondered about the lifetime warranty that Mathews archery had on their bows when they started selling the single cams such as the hunter, the 3D vapor & the ultralight. do they still replace parts on them to the original owners?

28-Oct-16
Look at the warranty from Vortex Optics....these guys stand behind their warranty, no questions asked...

28-Oct-16
IMO "lifetime warranty" means the life of the original owner. Period. "the normal useful life of the product" is used car salesman con. If it's a 1 year or 3 or 5 year... then call it that. Not word games with implying "lifetime". In all honesty I buy "lifetime" gear all the time, as much as possible. And a good bit of it will last the rest of my life, warrantied that way or not. Some I upgrade as better gear becomes available, lighter, better materials and designs.

The only thing I'd cut slack on a "lifetime" warranty is abuse. if I drive over it and bust it, bad on me. But even then, there are companies who will honor it.

Using deceptive advertising to sell an item..... people should be slapped. It's a dishonest scam. But I'm sure there are companies who will go ahead with the wording knowing the product will not live up to their claims. They do so knowing a majority of buyers will not go to the trouble of using the warranty anyway. It's factored in to the sales plan hoping the "lifetime warranty" adds more sales than it will cost them. Once it becomes apparent they have miscalculated then the tap dance begins......

28-Oct-16
the best warranty in the business is magnus. bar none. send it back and get a new one. no questions or hassles. if they receive they return a new one.

29-Oct-16
No man can give a lifetime guarantee for he might become disabled , blind , have arthritis so bad he can no longer work. Therefore the best guarantee and the one I give is that I will guarantee a bow I build to the original buyer for as long as I can fix or replace it. I honestly believe any other warranty is worthless and is based upon a lie. I cannot even guarantee the ability to fix or replace for 2 days , much less a ficticious lifetime.

God bless, Steve

29-Oct-16
A lifetime means your life. My thoughts would mirror TD's except.... maybe only to the extent of 'good faith' that the manufacturer can provide (more like Sixby's comments).

Great example would be Magnus. No one in their right mind questions how committed this company is in standing by its product and reputation. Yet, Magnus sold its line of carbon steel heads years ago to another maker who also honored the lifetime guarantee...yet the successor company has ceased production. I don't hold that against Magnus. Magnus sold the carbon steel product line in 'good faith' that the lifetime guarantee would be honored by the new owner. Things happen....

30-Oct-16
Well, like my cardiologist says, he guarantees my heart for life.

30-Oct-16
I am the Marketing Manager for a rifle manufacture. We offer a "Lifetime Warranty" on all the products we manufacture. We tell our customers, if you ever have a problem with any of our products, for any reason, we will take care of it. It doesn't matter if that problem occurs within one year or 100 years. Lifetime Warranty means Lifetime. Period.

30-Oct-16
Balios, nice warranty. What rifles do you sell?

30-Oct-16
LBshooter, ultra lightweight, high end rifles for the AR15 and AR10 platform. 2A Armament in Boise, Idaho.

• Sitka Gear