Proline 26-Oct-16
DonVathome 26-Oct-16
drycreek 26-Oct-16
Quailhunter 26-Oct-16
XMan 27-Oct-16
r-man 27-Oct-16
scndwfstlhntng 27-Oct-16
26-Oct-16
Got a bait pile for my daughter who is 10 and starting to hunt this year. Tired of hauling 100# of corn every 4-5 days and coons getting a lot. I think a feeder will pay for itself quickly. I am looking to spend about $100 and it has to be sold at Cabelas.

26-Oct-16
We use the Moultrie Classic 200 pound feeders in a few of our "family spots". We have had really good luck with them, Cabelas sells them for $99, but at a few places here in Michigan we can get them on sale for $79. They are programmable for up to 6 feeding times a day. Also, they are only 5.5' tall, so you can fill them right from the ground. Hope this helps!

26-Oct-16
Easy . Go by two of the 5 gallon , hanging feeders . They typically cost $49 or less each . Each hold between 40 or 50 lbs. of corn . Each will require a battery as well . Should come in at around 100 or a bit more with the batteries . Set it / them up on whatever timing pattern you choose . I know Sito from KS uses and recommends those @ least ;) . Best of luck to you and your daughter .

26-Oct-16
33$ bag of beans , 15$ 3 bags of lime , 2 bags of high nitro fert 50$ and bingo self feeding feeder

26-Oct-16
All woods no open areas to grow or I would. Thanks guys, critters up to eating 100# shelled corn in 2.5 days.

26-Oct-16
DonV I hear you! Same thing for me. It's not the coons I am afraid you just have a lot of deer like I do.

My 12 year old has shot her first 2 deer this year and it's been well worth it. Next year I am buying feeders. I was just too lazy to do it and now it's too late. Haha.

26-Oct-16

kellyharris's embedded Photo
This feeder even has smarts!!!

26-Oct-16

This feeder even has smarts!!!

26-Oct-16
Sunslinger, Solar panel,timer and motor all in one unit. Have 2 and one has been running for 7 years. On it's 2nd battery.

26-Oct-16
I've had very good luck with On Time solar power elite. Be a bit over 100 though. Had it over 8 years and just replaced the battery last winter.

26-Oct-16
Also I might add it is a 5 minute walk from my house so I can easily change batteries etc.

26-Oct-16
One of my friends has a couple of the Moultries. They are well worth the price IMO. Keep in mind, they are lightly built, but if you treat them with care, they should last you a long time.

26-Oct-16
I bought a Moultrie in 2012 for the back yard deer. It shrill works fine. It was less than 100.

27-Oct-16

XMan's Link
My moultrie broke in a month, complete garbage. sorry guys but I cant recommend a moultrie. Don, if you want it to last a long time, get one of these. You can mount it to your own steel barrel and buy the poles at lowe's. I have used many over the years in KS and KY, nothing comes close to being as reliable and hardy as these.

27-Oct-16
cob will slow them down , don't pile it up , spread it out , don't give them so much , make them check more often . use two areas for bait spaced apart and sit out of sight from bait yet between both areas .

27-Oct-16
Here is the thing about Moultrie feeders. They work fine if you want a reasonably sturdy container and a little motor that throws out the corn when you program it to, but 1. The life of the computer is unpredictable and they may or may not make it more than a few years. *2. This is what makes me the most POed: they keep changing the design of the spinner and each year it gets cheaper and cheaper. When I first bought one it had a varmint guard and that was VERY valuable because the squirrels and the raccoons just climb up and sweep the corn off the spinner and dump months worth in a week. Then they just stopped adding that in and while it was an option to buy, you can't even get one from the local sporting goods shop who doesn't have a clue what is in the box, couldn't care less, and can't get you one. Then last year or so they were smart enough to add a lip to the spinner so that little hands can't get in but no guard. THIS YEAR ( and just try to read the description on the box: that's a joke) they changed to a shallow PLASTIC dish spinner and no cage, so here we go again with the squirrels dumping the corn on the ground. The web site is sold out of varmint guards as it seems to have been every year when I go look

The other part of the problem is that they make the low end product available to the local shop who sells in bulk and doesn't look, or want to know. You can't even find this product in their catalog. They local shops don't pay any attention to what they are being shipped and give you a blank stare when you challenge the situation and shrug their shoulders. I wouldn't mind paying a little more for a product that was satisfactory, but their labeling and slight of hand makes it difficult to trust them without seeing the item first hand and most of the local shops sell the bottom of the line because it is cheapest and moves in volume. They basically have a good product but boy oh boy do you need to keep your eyes open with them.

As an aside, I thought that the American brand hanging bucket with a battery driven motor drive would be a good option: broke so fast that I never even bothered to hang up the second one that I have which is still sitting in the box

• Sitka Gear