Brian M. 20-Apr-17
Tonybear61 20-Apr-17
Paul@thefort 20-Apr-17
drycreek 20-Apr-17
WapitiBob 20-Apr-17
PA-R 20-Apr-17
Buglmin 20-Apr-17
03-Nov-16
Ok, after all the uproar by the Safety Police over the extreme danger of "fanning", do we have any examples of a hunter being shot while crawling behind a fan this season?

03-Nov-16
If you are dead how do you post your negative fanning experience? ;>)

I made it out alive during this spring's turkey hunts. Had a prison work crew come through one day and I was lucky to survive that. Strange things you see in the woods. No fanning experience.

03-Nov-16
I never fan. I always cock the hammer before I pull the trigger. Learned that watching the Lone Ranger ! :)

03-Nov-16
Figured I'd ask because my cousin's wife's sister knows a guy at work who read something on the internet about somebody who was sure a hunter would get shot if he tried it.

Nobody shot me, so I wondered if anybody else is picking pellets from trying this dangerous tactic..

03-Nov-16
Once you start fanning you will never go back!. I didn't get shot, but I know a couple of turkeys that did. I am addicted to fanning.

03-Nov-16
I almost shot while watching Dakota Fanning. Does that count?

03-Nov-16
Kjc ,it counts........

03-Nov-16
I took a few rounds but I'm old school. Figured it'd just add character. Plus chicks dig scars. Specially NE chicks.

KJC- did you hit anyone? If so, yep-it counts.

03-Nov-16
I'm with Thill on this one. When I first tried it a couple years ago I shot a turkey the very first time. Now I use it as an absolute staple of my arsinal. Its addicting!

04-Nov-16
You're right Franzen, if your dead you couldn't tell us. That explains a lot about a certain turkey hunter from Alabama whom we all know and love.

04-Nov-16
I got shot on two different occasions by the same guy while fanning last spring.

I gotta find a different turkey hunting partner!!

04-Nov-16
I'm dead but it was sure fun for awhile!

04-Nov-16
Was it behind a box fan

04-Nov-16
Was it behind a box fan, a ceiling, fan, or a oscillating fan?

04-Nov-16
KJC might want to be careful around box fans while watching Dakota Fanning!

04-Nov-16
Kelly, Maybe it was behind a Hillary fan...he dead.

04-Nov-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo

04-Nov-16
Shouldn't this be under the sheep threads?.......Oh, wait. That's Fannin. Never mind.

05-Nov-16
Pretty sure I've been taken out behind the bar and beaten for it before...... wait.... what do you call fanning?????

If I do recall there were some turkeys involved..... must have been their girlfriends too.....

09-Nov-16
Rick..may want to stop hunting with your wife's boyfriend if you keep getting shot. Just sayin'.... :-)

10-Nov-16
Our once famous turkey hunter from Alabama is now over on Rokslide spreading is wealth of knowledge. Based on a story he's telling, he did a 2 state elk hunt and killed at least one bull. I haven't been back in a couple days to read the rest. Of course, he didn't take any pictures.

10-Nov-16
Actually a friend of mine had a guy pull up to the field he was using a scoot n shoot decoy in and pull a rifle out and aimed at him. He jumped up and the guy took off. Thankfully no shots were fired.

10-Nov-16
Next he wants to do the Montana unlimited sheep...tough odds but as he says that translates to 25% odds for him lol.

My money is that TBM is really a creation of Rowdy Dowdy.

19-Apr-17
http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2017/04/18/hunter-shoots-two-partners-hiding-behind-turkey-fan/

19-Apr-17
Much more to the story than what's listed here. Much. I'm working on it.

19-Apr-17
a couple of guys from Arkansas shot in KS last week

19-Apr-17
a couple of guys from Arkansas shot in KS last week

19-Apr-17

Brotsky's Link
Buskill's link.

19-Apr-17
Thanks for posting that link

19-Apr-17
I was fanning an extra rich fart towards my wife and got a shot in the side of the head for it. Does that count?

19-Apr-17
Won't stop me from fanning. I get a rush - 2nd to only a bull elk screaming at me when those turkeys come in to the fan. 2 more bit the dust last week. I don't want to turkey hunt any other way!

20-Apr-17
I dunno about turkey hunting....

Its common for me to sneak in on elk holding a Montana decoy in front of me....and I'm dodging arrows the whole way. I've become very good at recognizing the "Hiss" from Blazer vanes....patting myself on the back here for developing that trait without any internet help what-so-ever.

I was thinking of jury rigging a kevlar skin for "Miss September" but them reconsidered due to an arrows effectiveness. Now there an idea for you "Fanners" a kevlar backing.....as it will be effective against #6's. Or you could take it one step further for "Hands free"...and just pin the fan to your bulletproof vest and wear one of those rubber chicken hats [kevlar lined of course] Cabelas has them in jake $39...

20-Apr-17

Brian M. 's embedded Photo
So, you're all saying this may be a bad idea? I'm gonna do it anyway.

20-Apr-17
If you hunt long enough you should be able to tell a real call from a fake one, real fan from a fake one with someone behind it. If everyone was that smart wouldn't need a rule like "it needs to have a visible beard" in order to be legal.

If people are getting shot just for wearing red, white or blue, black demonstrates how stupid some folks are. But only takes one idiot to shoot a person, thus why I won't fan , too many idiots. I like my face free of broadheads or pellets.

20-Apr-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Turkey hunters were being shot by other hunters long before decoys were utilized and that now includes fanning. I will continue to use my bow mounted decoy but always aware of my surroundings and other hunters in the area.

20-Apr-17
To fan, or not to fan, THAT is the question

Whether to suffer the slings and arrows of ignorant slobs...........

20-Apr-17
Years ago I made a 3D walk behind Antelope decoy, my partner used his 3D target. Our first evening hunting his took 4 bullets and mine went to the landfill.

20-Apr-17
be careful out there, PAUL.

20-Apr-17
We use a fan on a stake, not a body. And its a hoot to watch the birds come running in... If someone can't tell the difference in a real turkey and a human, should they be turkey hunting?

• Sitka Gear