jdee 30-Nov-16
Topgun 30-06 30-Nov-16
itshot 30-Nov-16
TwoDogs@work 01-Dec-16
CurveBow 01-Dec-16
Franzen 01-Dec-16
CurveBow 07-Dec-16
30-Nov-16
I set up my first ladder stand this year. Since I have always removed my chain on stands at the end of each season, along with ladder sticks, what do I need to do with the ladder stand? Should I loosen the ratchet strap at the top to allow for tree growth? Should the other 2 straps that support the ladder brace also be loosened? I already plan to use a cord to hold the seat in the up position so that it doesn't accumulate snow & ice.

What do you folks do? I read the manual that came with the stand, but there was no information about long term usage & maintenance.

>>>>-------->

30-Nov-16
Curve, I've left mine up for years. I don't bother to do anything with them honestly. I just go out middle of the summer before season and check the straps and trim shooting lanes. They are usually fine. I replace the ratchet straps every 2-3 years or as necessary if a critter has chewed them, etc. I do remove any padded seating each season. You can loosen the straps if you wish but I haven't found it necessary to do so, probably depends on the type of tree. Our burr oaks don't grow very fast.

30-Nov-16
I do very little to the 10 or so I have out all year. I don't loosen anything because I don't want some trespasser climbing up in them and getting hurt. Before each season I go out and check my straps, replace if needed and tighten anything that has stretched loose. Also check the legs to make sure they didn't lift off the ground a little. This will make climbing in noisy. I do take the cushions off at the end of each season or the squirrels will eat them and they will degrade. One thing I do if I have no plans on moving it is change out the loop links they give you to attach the ladder sections with bolts. I then stake the threads to make nut removal harder. Makes it a little harder for someone to disassemble and steal. I also chain the top section.

30-Nov-16
Loosening might not be a bad idea on a smaller tree. I have had to cut ratchet straps before because the tree grew bigger. You certainly want to change the straps at least every other year.

30-Nov-16
I'd loosen then tighten the straps each fall. I sat in an outfitters ladder stand once that the tree had grown and the seat actually started to buckle/bend, when you sat down or stood up it made noise as it moved. Simply loosen, then re-tighten first fall use or end of summer check up

30-Nov-16
I take mine down and store them in the garage until next season.

30-Nov-16
I never use a strap I use a small chain or two and leave them up for years. They are all aluminum or metal powder coated.

30-Nov-16
Same here on the 7 that I have out jdee! All are chained on with locks.

30-Nov-16
take all pads off, spray paint fasteners & scratches to inhibit rust, straps are cheap and they're the only thing keeping you up the tree...replace before you think you should, the chain idea sounds good too

01-Dec-16
I loosen straps and remove padded seats to prevent them being chewed up by squirrels. I used to take them down but I simply have too many up to do so and no place to store them. I give the whole stand a good once over looking for problems before I use them in the fall.

01-Dec-16
Thanks folks, great ideas expressed. I'll likely tie the mesh seat up (Muddy stand) to protect it from snow load and ice and leave the rest alone; check it next year.

>>>>-------->

01-Dec-16
I like to undo the ratchet straps at the end of the season enough so that they firmly hold the stand to the tree, but not terribly tight. By the next season they are nice and solid, or you can put a few cranks in the ratchet again if need be.

Personally I am headed the opposite direction as you, with more hang-ons instead of ladders.

07-Dec-16
Thanks Franzen. I still love chain on stands (similar to the Screaming Eagle that Paul Brunner sold), have 4 sets of ladder sticks, screw in steps for likely 10 trees and a dozen of the stands that I built. I also have several light aluminum stands that I have bought at garage sales and never used! I have only the one ladder stand; and after setting that up, I think sticks and chain on are much easier to accomplish all around!

>>>>-------->

• Sitka Gear