deerman406 05-Dec-16
Butternut40 05-Dec-16
Charlie Rehor 05-Dec-16
DC 06-Dec-16
greenmountain 06-Dec-16
Bowriter 06-Dec-16
EmbryOklahoma 06-Dec-16
02-Dec-16
Curious if anyone else compares whitetail bucks to male humans? I'll try to explain... you know how the young male humans do a lot of the breeding and they are also more active? The male deer are also similar in those areas. Compare that to an older buck/human, they do less breeding (for reproduction), and move less. If you think about the parallels, it makes sense why big bucks are harder to kill, because they are sitting in a recliner in the woods watching football. Okay, I'm bored. :)

02-Dec-16
Yeah but how do you explain those who get divorced and think they are young again and chase everything that moves?

02-Dec-16
Also wiser

02-Dec-16
Whitetails are much closer to dogs than humans..... In fact if you watch them long enough in a relaxed state they are very similar

in many circumstances

02-Dec-16
Steve, yup. Not saying there's not another animal they are closer to. Just funny the parallels.

02-Dec-16
Interesting parallel. As an old buck, I can say I prefer to hit it at my convenience and "as required ". However , when dealing with younger does (i.e. wife) often times you have to "do what you have to do". Not a bad thing at all.

02-Dec-16
Leo... that's tough to explain. Don't get horned by a young buck. :)

05-Dec-16
I get the comparison on a very basic level, they are all individuals. There are big ones, small ones, fat ones, skinny ones, mean ones, complacent ones, lazy ones, active ones, smart ones, dumb ones, etc., etc. There is no doubt they are capable of learning so the young dumb ones become smarter old ones, or they die before they do. As far as breeding specifically the young ones are just experiencing it for the first time and get all hyped up to bone when they get that first whiff of pootang in the cool October air. Then they run around looking to stick any doe they can find for the next month and a half. The older bucks having lived through a few breeding seasons know how to get the job done a lot more efficiently and act accordingly.

05-Dec-16
So, does this make the older Does a Cougar?

05-Dec-16
young male humans do a lot of chasing, the older bucks conserve their energy for the moment of truth ;)

05-Dec-16
When I wrote an article comparing the rut to a night in a singles bar, I had some nut accuse me of being anti-religion and a spawn of the devil. Have to be careful what you say, somebody might accuse of using a crossbow. :)

05-Dec-16
Young Buck says to old Buck lets run down there and do that Doe, Old Buck replies lets walk down there and do all of them!

05-Dec-16
So what do you call a male human with a big rack?

05-Dec-16
"So what do you call a male human with a big rack? "

Jacked up trucks come to mind. My wife makes a comment about every one she sees, it makes me chuckle. The whole compensation theory.

05-Dec-16
In transition

05-Dec-16
Apauls... a transgender? Edit... actually, I think Gary has the better answer. Lol

05-Dec-16
Genesis has it right. Shawn

05-Dec-16
Ole Thumper :) Good one.

05-Dec-16
Your premise above about old Bucks is for sure a generalization. I know a few ole bucks very active in the rut:)

06-Dec-16

DC's embedded Photo
DC's embedded Photo
Nope.

06-Dec-16
From What I see the parallel is accurate enough. Have you ever seen a yearling breeding a doe? It happens more often than some would think. The more dominant bucks are out impressing each other while the wimp scores. It is like sports teams getting the "doe" receptive while the nerd is available.

06-Dec-16
Ever given any thought to why bucks respond to rattling? It is not for the reason most hunters think.

06-Dec-16
Would that be like they are afraid the neighbor is gonna pee in their front yard type of deal, John?

• Sitka Gear