Deertick 06-Dec-16
TD 06-Dec-16
CurveBow 06-Dec-16
Kevin Dill 06-Dec-16
IdyllwildArcher 06-Dec-16
TD 06-Dec-16
03-Dec-16

Beendare's Link
This vid explains the process of collapsing the lungs [you can start it at about 9,10 minutes to get the gist] A critical understanding of this will help all bowhunters IMO.

I get the feeling many folks think we are trying to bleed them out with a big hole...which of course can work...but the effectiveness of a through and through shot creating a pneumothorax and Hemothorax is a very effective method for a humane quick kill.

A big hat tip to Jim at Third Hand Archery for posting the link on another site... Youtube link; "Respiratory System, 3 pleural membranes..."

03-Dec-16
I'll take a one hole shot that severs the arteries going thru the center of the lungs over a thru n thru in the back lobes of the lungs every time. We have minutes worth of oxygenated blood in our system.

03-Dec-16
We are not trying to suffocate deer. Collapsed lungs actually take several minutes to bring death on.

Broadheads kill by hemmoraging. We shoot razor sharp heads into an animals lungs because it is a big target and it is vascular (full of blood vessels). I shot a very fine buck last week through one lung. He was quartering sharply away, the arrow entered behind the onside lung and took the opposite lung 2/3 of it's length. He only went 85 yards. Why? because my very sharp head cut the vessels in that lung and he bled to death. That is what a broadhead is supposed to do.

How often do solid, mid center lung shots go down in mere seconds? Collapsed lungs and suffocating do not do that. When the blood supply runs out they go down. That is why broadheads should be very, very sharp. We want them to bleed to death. It is quick and relatively painless.

03-Dec-16
Lots of ways to die. That explained a good one.

Fastest IMO is an artery hit that pumps the blood from the organs (brain) in seconds. As WB said, just the oxygen in the blood still in the system is likely a minute worth. If they lose enough or do not get that oxygen replenished they die. But takes a bit longer.

03-Dec-16
I am not a huge fan of hits in the back lobes of the lungs. Sure they go down but they can go considerable farther then if you center punch the lungs or get the main arteries in the lungs.

03-Dec-16
Funny!! Shawn

03-Dec-16
15 seconds max for the animals Ive shot with a double lung complete pass thru...

03-Dec-16
Show me how to aim for arteries. I absolutely agree with both positions on this. Nothing brings an animal down faster than a huge artery severed accompanied by instantaneous loss of blood pressure...collapse...shock...and death. I've seen it work many times on less-than-perfect looking hits. I've also seen perfect-looking lung hits NOT sever a major artery and the animal goes hundreds of yards before dropping. Anyone doubting should have been with me in 2011. I pounded a big broadhead through the chest of a bull moose at 6 yards...total penetration. He ran 350 yards and I could see steam coming from both sides of his chest. I watched him spin and drop finally.

All that said, a through-and-through lung hit gives us the surest chance of recovery. Good chance big vessels will get cut. Bilateral pneumo-hemothorax with inability to 1) respire effectively and 2) move oxygenated blood in the body. I can't aim for arteries but I can aim for lungs and try for the sweet spot. I'll still get my animal either way, arteries or not. Massive blood loss is THE most humane kill in my book. I love seeing an animal go lights-out in mere seconds and knowing they didn't suffer needlessly.

03-Dec-16
Well, it is an anatomical fact, that the vessels in the lungs get larger as you move forward toward the shoulder (toward the lung apices).

So your odds of severing bigger vessels, both around the heart and in the lungs, go up as you move toward the "V" .

Best of Luck, Jeff

03-Dec-16
No ham blaster here, I shoot for a bundle of them right over the top of the heart. =D

Broadside that's up in the "V", but many angles will get you there. If I'm off a bit and miss them I'm still in a pretty good neighborhood. Big bones, you have to know where they are and avoid them.

Kevin, that must have been tough watching that bull go and go and go..... and relief to ecstasy watching him finally go down......

03-Dec-16
One of the major reasons why I shoot 1 1/2" dia Spitfires and 1 3/16" Thunderheads, and have never worried about a pass thru. In fact, my last pass thru resulted in zero blood on the ground. Strangest thing I've ever seen and luckily I watched him fall over roughly 100 yards away. A 1-1/4" Thunderhead would be my ideal broadhead.

Hopefully we can discuss our experiences without the thread getting twisted up.

03-Dec-16
Blodtrail,

They pass out from lack of blood pressure to the system. Any artery hit will cause that. That lack of blood to the brain brings on death. True, collapsed lungs can attribute to the death, but that is not the primary reason for shooting an animal in the lungs. It is to cut the many blood vessels in the lungs to cause massive bleeding and drop in blood pressure. That is why solid lung hits (normally) go down very quickly. Large vessels have been cut causing the blood pressure drop, not from suffocation.

And by solid I mean centered in the lungs and more forward than back. Periphial lung hits can take much longer.

03-Dec-16
Ironbow is correct.

The animals that drop within 50 yards generally are not dead. They pass out from a sharp drop in blood pressure. Then they bleed to death.

Relying on double pneumothorax, depending on the hit, can actually take quite some time.

And for people that say they can't aim for arteries, I couldn't disagree more. And you're not necessarilly aiming for "arteries," but rather the great vessels: Aorta, vena cava, pulmonary artery, and pulmonary vein. These are the vessels that come directly into and out of the heart. If you hit one, you often times hit 2 or 3 because they're bunched up right on top of the heart.

5 out of my last 11 animals have been heart shots. 3 of those remaining 11 took out great vessels and none of those animals went more than 40 yards. Of the remaining 3, one was lung center punched, and two were in the front of the lungs. Those 3 deer, by far, lived the longest and traveled the farthest. FWIW, even though I aim low and forward, I've never had an arrow stopped by near-side humerus or scapula because I've never hit one. Animals drop down and go forward if they jump the string, which places your arrow higher and further back.

I'm a student of Bill Allard's shot selection and always will be after seeing the results. I aim for the top of the heart, which is static in animals and absolutely something that you can aim for. I take close shots because the margin for error is smaller than when aiming a little higher and farther back in the crease. But I like to put my animals down quickly, see them drop, and not worry/wonder about blood trails or the quality of my meat after I leave them over night.

I killed 4 white tail this year within 30 minutes of sunset and recovered every one of them before dark - because I watched all of them go down. No letting them sit overnight while I stay up all night wondering. No losing meat to coyotes. No unsuccessful blood trails after a night's rain...

I do a post mortem dissection on everyone of my animals and it teaches you a lot about shot placement when you see your entry/exit and what the arrow did in between. Just cut the ribs off of the sternum (breastbone) and open the chest like the hood of a car. If it's filled with blood, tip the animal over and dump it out, then use your knife or your arrow to recreate the path of the arrow. Get your hands in there and separate everything away so you see what it actually hit.

I see a lot of guys aiming farther back and I see a lot of guys blood trailing animals. IMO, the best blood trail is the blood trail you don't even have to follow.

03-Dec-16
A heart shot typically runs farther than a double lunger.......Never ever cuss an arrow finding the back lobes of the lungs...... No foam in these puppies as I promise you do not want to watch a BC buck run off after a shoulder shot from being too far forward. Y'all can live all you want forward the crease but for me and my house we will lengthen our blood trail and clear the scapula.

03-Dec-16
I've heard that said about heart shots by a lot of guys so I have to assume you/they are right, but all of mine have died in sight. I shot an elk smack dab through the middle of the heart that only went 26 yards before falling. One thing is for sure about heart shots: They always, always, always die. The farther back you go, the higher the possibility that a rear lung hit becomes a liver, stomach, or diaphragm hit which allows the possibility of death in parts unknown. Furthermore, if I miss forward and hit bone, that animal lives and while I may cuss my loss, I sleep well knowing the animal lives. IMO, there's nothing worse than a gut shot deer and the 8 hour wait with all the uncertainty and the possibility for a dead animal that is never recovered.

03-Dec-16
I'm with IdyllwildArcher on this one. I typically prefer a heart shot. I know if I hit my mark it is a quick death, and personally, when I miss it is typically back with a little height so I have some margin of error built into the shot.

03-Dec-16
While distance is likely easiest to look back on and figure out after the intensity of the shot.... sometimes I think it isn't the best determination of how quickly something tips over (and in time dies). I've shot animals that lived (for lack of a better term) a few seconds, yet covered a good bit of ground on a flat out death run. And I've had some that went 10-20 yards yet lived maybe several seconds more. They just jumped and stood there for a while.... take a few steps and tip over.

That's not even taking into account those that go 50 yards and bed up, but live for several hours sometimes. Then there are those that go 200+ and dead in less than a minute.

It's a pretty dynamic event that involves a good many factors.

04-Dec-16
I double-lunged a pig last weekend that went down, but 1/2 hour later was still breathing. Finally felt compelled to finish the job with a knife. Like the concept of hitting an artery, arteries, or the heart (and did that taking out the heart on prior pig, which died very quickly). Sometimes even double-lung shots take a while to do the job, particularly on a tough-as-nails animal like a pig.

04-Dec-16
TD makes a good point about the length of bloodtrails being variable. I've shot the majority of the animals I've killed with mechanicals. As compared to the animals I have shot with COC heads, I do think the MBH-shot animals run a bit harder. As a result, they tend to go a bit farther, but there tends to be a better bloodtrail to follow.

04-Dec-16
Understand I would take a heart shot every time .I'm just saying I don't aim there........My last three deer were all a little farther back than I like and none made it over 60 yards.. That's a misnomer as well because generally they go farther.

I think we all have runs of hitting good stuff blindly and anecdotally attribute to aim point erroneously.

But to your point ...BB's golden triangle is the best place for an arrow to end up....however STUFF HAPPENS and too far in three directions it can become the Bermuda Triangle.....For Elk /Moose I guy has a bigger strike zone and can go there just for deer size game I like to move back a little.

Not debating just adding a different slant

04-Dec-16
I certainly value Randy Ulmers (he's a Vet Dr.) belief that back in the lungs is wider.

04-Dec-16
I reported this some time ago on the elk forum; regarding a double lung pass through at the rear of the lobes. The shot was 20 yards, he ran then laid down in sight ~60 yards away. I stayed in my tree stand and just watched, thinking liver shot. It was 45 minutes before he made an eerie death moan and laid his head down. I was very surprised upon field dressing that no blood was in the abdominal cavity.

04-Dec-16
I think it is fair to say I have gradually moved my point of aim as close the the V as I can possibly stand. On animals like antelope I shoot where BB would put a dot and don't worry about it as I feel that if crap happens I have enough oomph to do the job. Anything larger and I end up at the back of the front leg, tight. My autopilot also tends to aim slightly below center in the heat of the moment. This works out better at close distances from a treestand where your arrow has yet to rise to the line of sight BUT I leave my pin on 25 yards.

A guy from that Whitetail Properties (I think his name was Dan Perez) hunting show caused a firestorm last year when he said he had adjusted his point of aim to more mid body because he was using a big expandable. AT went bonkers and of course didn't actually pay attention to what he said. He didn't say I gut shoot all animals now because my big mechanical will work, he said I aim back because if I hit too far forward it is worse than hitting too far back.

04-Dec-16
Any animal hit in the cardiopulmonary system will not last very long. I've hit elk high in the lungs and they bleed very little (on the ground), but are down within seconds. I've hit elk in the front lobes of the lungs and you watch them go down, as well as this year's hit through the front lobes and top of the heart. On that one, by the time I had a chance to think "that looked like a good hit", it was down within sight.

When animals are sent to slaughter at a meat packing plant, they are sometimes knocked goofy long enough to get in there and cut the throat. Massive blood loss is what kills them. You want the heart to be pumping as they bleed out.

04-Dec-16
I typically aim as TD does....if it goes high or even a little back it gets lungs....low it takes out the heart. I use the 1/3rd up theory.

Hey.....we all know many shots and different setups work. I thought this was a good explanation of the mechanism in the chest and what is going on.

05-Dec-16
I believe that what you are looking for is mass blood loss - believe if animal loses 30% of blood it passes out and then pending the hit the rest takes effect. That's why certain hits like gut shot animals are so hard to recover.

05-Dec-16
I have had several deer that I shot and watched them fall but I walked out to get help or truck and come back a couple hours later and they were still alive but they fell within eye site.When i inquired about this to a group that was doing a study on death from broadheads they explained that what they thought was that it depended on if they were inhaling or exhaling.i shot a buck last week and he was dead in less than 5 secs

05-Dec-16
I have shot a lot of deer that gave fallen in sight. The quickest death I have seen was a shot I thought was terrible. I actually hit an abdominal artery, deer took one step and fell over, massive amount of blood lose. The last few big bucks I have killed I aimed for the crease and a tad low, as they were close(12 yards) both of the hits for whatever reason were a bit back and high. Hit the large lobes of the lungs and both deer were dead in less then 10 seconds. One took 2 steps and stood for a couple seconds and fell over the other sprinted about 50 yards and was dead on his feet. Too me that is an ideal spot to hit a deer but I would not intentionally aim for it as if you shoot any farther back you get liver or gut. I used to shoulder shoot all my deer when they were close and I shot 75 plus pounds, it worked out well for me with my COC heads, now I am older and smarter I shoot for bottom 3rd and tight to the shoulder in the crease, problem is I don't always hit where I hold so I figure this gives me the most room for error or animal movement. Shawn

05-Dec-16
Unless you do a complete dissection, you don't know what you hit. Many hits that are higher and farther back take out the abdominal aorta or abdominal vena cava. There's one huge artery and one huge vein that serve the entire lower 1/2 of the body. Hit one or both and the animal will go down quick. I can only speculate, but I bet countless hits to those vessels have dropped animals and given people the idea that their rear hit worked well. For sure, you deflate the lungs and the animal goes down quick, ultimately its speculation as to what took them down.

I'm not saying that a rear lung hit isn't a quick death. If you slice the back of both lungs, the animal can go down quickly. But the triangle that is the rear part of the lungs is no bigger than the triangle between in the shoulder between the humerus and the scapula. The difference being, if you miss forward on the former, you hit bone or back and you hit lung. The peripheral (rear) lung hits are too close to the guts for me and that's why I disagree with Mr Ulmer's shot selection. At one of his talks, he noted that if his shot doesn't turn out where he wants it (rear lung hit) he does well when his shots end up back in the guts and recovers all those animals. That may be true, but I still don't want that shot. The meat doesn't end up in as good of shape, the animal suffers more, and the uncertainty of another hunter or animal preditor taking or pushing the animal, plus the uncertainty of it while you wait, add up to something that I'm not looking for when finishing my hunt.

05-Dec-16
To add: Suffering is 2-48 hrs on a gut hit... Shoulder hits can be emaciated to coyote food over 2-4 months.Although many live and "suffered through it" I will take 10 gut hits for every shoulder hit, just seems that parties on both sides of the ball come out better.

05-Dec-16
Stirring the pot, what about a shot when it's raining - going to zero blood trail and often very little or confused tracks? Do you try to get the animal in sight or just sit and pray? For sure you can't do a long tracking job.

05-Dec-16
The pain suffered from a flesh wound doesn't even come close to what is felt with a gut hit. I can't speak for deer, but I know this to be a fact on humans. Nearly every gut shot animal will die. It's generally accepted that flesh wounded deer live more often than not and broken broadheads are often found in healthy spines. A lot of speculation on both sides, but a good discussion nonetheless. We all want to put them down quick.

05-Dec-16
I just like the hamblaster :) :)

I'm as guilty as anyone of overthinking this stuff, but I don't really care what scientific term denotes how I kill something with an arrow. I just shoot try to shoot them through the front end vitals somewhere, and it usually turns out okay.

I always thought heart shot deer ran farther, but I shot a buck this year through the top of the heart, and he ran 30 yards, paused for about 3 seconds, then fell over. I even skipped the arrow off his front leg bone

I do believe deer hit with bone involvement generally run harder and farther. But not always. I've had scapula hit deer die real close after just bounding away. I've had scapula hit deer run like the dickens too. And the buck above had bone involvement and didn't bolt

I like to stay up close to the V. I haven't had it happen on a big mature buck, and I won't test it on purpose, but 2 years ago I hit a doe at 27 yards on that big front leg bone, and broke it into pieces with a 520 grain arrow and a solid one piece head. Even got an exit hole, even though the arrow didn't exit for about 50 yards into the doe's death run.

I've flirted with those leg bones and the back part of the scapula on multiple animals, and have never had a problem busting through or skipping by. But to be fair, I've never hit the front part of the shoulder blade dead square either. And the doe I mentioned above is the only one I've hit square on that lower leg bone

Frankly, I like being up there so much, that every year I flirt with the idea of an 80 lb bow, and try to shoot a 600-700 grain arrow at a pretty good speed, and just not worry about bone at all :) :)

05-Dec-16
We shoot for lungs because they are large and highly vascular, not to inflict pneumothorax.

Pneumothoraces are not "quick", nor do lungs "pop" like many people think.

But lungs are the only organ that gets 100% of the cardiac (right-sided) output. This -- and this alone -- makes lungs an attractive target.

05-Dec-16
Dealing with bigger bones is a reality if you're pushing the shot forward,no doubt. The last few years I've gone to a two blade (IMO a two blade with bleeders is still a two bade as well). I just feel they deal with bone better. 3 blade heads tend to "stick" in the bone without busting through, two blades seems to bust the bone better. The old "bad to the bone" muzzies did pretty good on bone hits actually. But I've had a couple stick as well. Not sure what have would made it through though, just speculation. Have had bad two blades fail too..... one head in particular broke into many pieces on a bone hit buck, arrow literally bounced off with what looked like a field point of a ferrule left. Strong ferrule as they advertised, but the blades were so hardened they were brittle. Shattered rather than bent. I always remember that when I hear a complaint about bent blades..... bent is always better than broken.....

I think those who shoot mech heads have a point about staying a bit back from the bigger bones and using the larger cut to their advantage. I think the bigger cuts are always an asset up until they are a detriment to penetration. On deer size, black bear and smaller penetration is not normally an issue with WELL TUNED modern gear.

05-Dec-16
Actually the bilateral pneumothorax caused by the broadhead entering AND exiting the chest cavity, allowing positive pressure in, because the chest cavity is a negative pressure environment, the blood filling the thoracic space, causes suffocation along with the sudden drop in blood pressure killing the deer. The lungs have the highest density of blood vessels in the body. This is where all the oxygen and carbon-dioxide exchange happens. There is one main artery that comes off the heart into the lungs that splits taking blood to both the left and right lung and there are two veins bring it back to the lungs one from the left and one from the right and this is the blood pumped to the body. If fat or muscle material plugs/blocks one or both of the holes created by the broadhead the rate at which the pneumothorax would cause death will slow down allowing the deer to travel father even if it is bleeding inside. If you only hit the edge of the lungs it will take longer for the deer to bleed out hitting fewer blood vessels. By putting a "SHARP" broadhead through the center mass of the lung, which is its thickest area you will be cutting more blood vessels that are under pressure causing a faster bleed out causing the massive pressure loss along with a entrance and exit wound.

One of the thing that could make a difference in how fast a deer drops, I read some years ago and it made sense. If your arrow hits the deer while it is exhaling, the blood in the system is at its lowest oxygen level, the lungs at their highest negative pressure, and again with the two holes allowing positive pressure in, it makes it extremely difficult for the deer to expand its lungs, to oxygenate its blood causing it to expire faster. Also on the exhale the lungs are compressed concentrating the blood vessels in a much smaller area allowing the broadhead to cut more vessels as it passes through. Compare that to lungs that are fully expanded (full of air), and the blood is at its highest oxygen level and the the vessel are spread father apart. In both cases the deer will die, but which do you think would die faster? There is no way to time your arrow impacts, BUT if it hits the deer on its exhale in the center part of the lungs, and making a entrance and exit hole the deer is going to die faster.

For those of you who advocate shooting the heart, a deer can run a long way with just the oxygen in its blood I have read where a deer can run up to 6-8 seconds with a heart shot and a deer can cover a lot of ground in that 6-8 seconds especially if the deer was hit just after the inhale where the blood is highly oxygenated. With the pump out of commission it can be hard to have a blood trail. Shooting the lungs allows the heart to do its job and pushing blood out of the cut vessels. I know many have killed deer with heart shots but this give you something to think about. DANNY

06-Dec-16
I agree with Deertick.

The idea of hitting a deer during inhalation vs exhalation is not only speculation, but also sorta irrelevant because you can't plan for it. Also, when you hit a deer in the heart from a treestand, you usually get at least 1 lung, sometimes two.

I'd rather hit a deer in the lungs closer to the heart where the vessels are larger than hit them center punched where the vessels are smaller. If you look at the vasculature tree, they get smaller and smaller the farther you get from the heart.

FWIW, I think a shot right above the heart is better than a heart shot, but I hit the heart because I account for the deer dropping at the shot and hit the heart when they don't drop. Either way, they die close, which is what this thread is about. Additionally, my most recent 6 heart shots, the animal (elk, WT, and mule deer) have not lived 6 seconds. All were 2-3 seconds before hitting the ground. Perhaps I've been lucky.

Again, good discussion.

Danny, good post. Where do you aim on an animal?

06-Dec-16
When I started archery hunting 35 years ago a thread like this did not exist. Not sure how I survived:) You can learn more in one day of reading threads than 10 years of reading magizines from 30 years ago. Being on or a party to 750+ blood trails has some value too. My conclusion: still learning and always will be. Thx for posting your experiences! C

06-Dec-16
The likelihood of a lung hit to cause death is proportional to the percentage of blood flow from the right heart not returning.

A hit taking out one (50%) or both (100%) pulmonary arteries is catastrophic -- the animal cannot overcome this.

A hit taking out 2% (say, a one-lung hit toward the back or side of the lungs) is quite survivable, as the animal has plenty of clotting factors to "seal" a 2% blood leak.

In-between is, well, in-between.

But the idea of a pneumothorax causing a quick death is exceedingly unlikely. A tension pneumothorax is not something that occurs on a timeline anything like catastrophic hemorrhage.

I would suggest to think of lungs as large bundles of branching blood vessels that resemble "trees" ... your goal is to cut one or both "trees" close to the trunk.

If the hips had the same vascularity as the lungs, we'd be aiming there. If the kidneys were as large as the lungs, we'd be aiming there, as they can take up to 25% of the cardiac output.

Death by pneumothorax can't occur unless death by hemorrhage didn't work, i.e. the animal had adequate clotting factors to seal the blood loss. It takes too long. I think people really have a misunderstanding about just how long that process takes.

06-Dec-16
I always think of bilateral pneumothorax as being part of the entire equation which brings the animal down with greater dependability. Massive...severe...extreme (choose your adjective) hemorrhage is the fastest road to death and obviates the value of pneumothorax in recovery of the dead animal. It's also the most humane type of death due to rapid loss of consciousness. Hits which sever the aorta or otherwise immediately interrupt blood supply to the brain bring rapid loss of consciousness, shock and death. The animal typically goes down very quickly and it's over.

Short of extreme hemorrhage causing quick death, a good lung hit will still cause death by blood loss. The animal may be running, but bilateral pneumothorax is a debilitating injury and will undoubtedly contribute to limiting how far that animal can travel before going down. Death still ultimately occurs from blood loss, shock and multi-organ failure.

06-Dec-16
I think people over-estimate how effectively (timely) a pneumo kills. My educated guess would be that most lung-hit animals die WITH a pneumothorax, not FROM one.

And if they do -- they are a long ways from where they were, and have been up for a long time.

Let's put it this way: If you hit an animal, and watch it do the "funky chicken" wobble -- that's not from pneumothorax. The one that dies of a pneumothorax dies slowly, in its bed, with it's head up for a long time. I can't imagine a wound large enough to cause that injury that wouldn't cause catastrophic hemorrhage long before it succumbed from the tension pneumo.

06-Dec-16
Charlie.... pretty much the same here, when I started there was no info out there like this I was aware of anyway. Aim for lungs, behind the shoulder, biggest target, etc..... that was preached.

WRT shooting more forward in the "V" I picked that up here many years ago..... all due to BB promoting the shot and it's effects. Once having tried it and seeing the results, over and over.... I'm a disciple of the church of BB..... no one, that I know of anyway, has done more to educate bowhunters on what to hit for a FAST takedown and how it all works. Actually got me thinking more and more about what is hit, how the pump drains the lines so fast when the right lines get cut. It's not the blood on the ground, or loss of blood so much as lack of blood to the brain, which shuts down in seconds. Of course it's hard to have one without the other, cause and effect. But helps to separate which is which and why. The medical folks we a blessed with here of course knew all this and could confirm.

Anyway.... if you're out there BB, thanks much.

06-Dec-16
I agree totally with the above posts/BB/tree trunk, etc! The circulatory system is a pressurized vessel. Think of a garden hose; a leak may allow water to reach the nozzle (brain); a severe cut allows very little or no water to reach the nozzle (brain). If we think of the body of the deer/elk as a container, think of the container draining under pressure. Some hits kill over a longer time as the vessel drains slower. The best hits in the "V", cut such large arteries that pressure drops so fast (no water to the nozzle-brain), that unconsciousness follows, and the animal is usually down within 40-50 yards.

A friend some years ago and I killed bull elk the same night. Mine was a classic double lung (not in the V) and the bull traveled a bit over 100 yards. My friend hit his high and slightly in front of the hindquarter. The bull took 2 hops, stood still a few seconds, the fell over and never moved again! He must have hit both femoral arteries of the kidneys. But whatever it was, it resulted in massive pressure loss!

>>>>-------->

06-Dec-16
CurveBow,

Probably a direct hit to the abdominal aorta which technically ends at the pelvis.

06-Dec-16
That's exactly what happened.

06-Dec-16
I hit a mouflon high and back mid body once..... last evening of the last day, my first reaction seeing the hit involved swear words under my breath....

He spun a 180 at the hit and I was shocked what I saw, his entire opposite side was completely red...... he bolted 20-30 yards in just a few jumps and piled up. Never got the last swear word out, my mouth was hanging open...... Hit the artery right under the spine, I would guess that was the above mentioned aorta. But it was spectacular..... and dog-azzed lucky.....

• Sitka Gear