willliamtell 03-Dec-16
WV Mountaineer 03-Dec-16
CurveBow 05-Dec-16
APauls 05-Dec-16
GhostBird 05-Dec-16
svrelk 06-Dec-16
BTM 09-Dec-16
03-Dec-16
Been out of the compound world for a while. Looking to get back into it. Need suggestions on what brands offer a larger sight pin. My old bow had some tru glo with bigger heads. They were heavy duty. (I need kicked because I gave said bow to a young man who needed one, without taking off those sights). They had been out west through the oak brush, up and down these mountains in laurel and rhododendron, Bounced around in a truck and on an atv, without ever breaking a fiber optic lead or sight pin. Seen other skinny sights get broken in the same conditions.

I'm not looking to tournament shoot. I want a dependable, robust set of sight pins that won't break on my way to the stand or, when hunting on the ground. What are my options guys?

God Bless

03-Dec-16
.010, .019, and .029 are your options. I would go to a shop and try each one to see what works best for you.

03-Dec-16
I have a Montana black gold with fixed pin sights .029 green for the deer that love to come at last light here in SC. Can't imagine a brighter pin without using a lighted sight.

03-Dec-16
I just switched to a single pin. .19 green, Montana Black Gold sight. I like it very much and it is good in low light as well as very brings sun light. The black Gold has a hood over the fiber optics that adjusts to the sun light and keeps the pin glow constant.

When selecting a new sight, make sure you take it outside in natural light, especially in low light condition before purchasing it.

03-Dec-16
IMO, you can't do better than Black Gold sights. Bombproof, lifetime warranty, and extremely bright pins.

As previously mentioned, pins come in .010, .019, and .029. You can custom order whatever sight you prefer, and mix and match pin size and color.

03-Dec-16
Thanks guys. I got a set of .029, five pin Tru Glo's. Looked through a set at my local store on a bow he was working on. EXACTLY what I wanted. Aluminum housing, good solid mount, stout pins and optic leads, solid wind age and elevation group adjustment, NO level or light, and affordable. God Bless

03-Dec-16
In addition to pin diameter pay attention to the colors. I learned a lot earlier this year when I was going through the same process.

Us aging guys need green and/or yellow...stay away from the red.

03-Dec-16
What about distance pins? Seems like at 40+ yards it's kind of nice to have smaller (.010) pins, particularly if you're doing 3D or other shot situations out to 60 yards.

03-Dec-16
Candor times 10. I had to buy new sights for my turkey gun because the red front sight had become to hard to see in low light. Green it has become. God Bless

05-Dec-16
For a pin to be "bombproof", find a sight that has the pins fully enclosed. Some pins have the fiber optic as a look on the front of the pin. I have killed many of those pins!

I used to like .029 pins, but most sights don't come that large anymore with few exceptions. I used the .019 OK. Definitely stay away from the teensy, tiny .01 pins!

Like others, red pins suck moldy moose d***! Green & yellow are the best to see in low light. Red is so bad, I can't imagine sight makers still using them..... But, they do....

>>>>-------->

05-Dec-16
Smaller the dot the better for me. As far as breakability, just buy a MBG or a Spott Hawg and be done with it.

05-Dec-16
I use a MBG custom with decreasing pin sizes and love it; .029 for 20 yards, .019 for 30 yards, and .010 for 40 yards. All green.

06-Dec-16
I second the spot Hogg recommendation...

Bullet proof.. been ruining mine on my last three bows... and I don't upgrade very often... they're tough.. I'd go .10 if you like to shoot distance.. .19

09-Dec-16
I never fell for the recent small pin fad. Most of mine are .040, but a few are 0.029. To each his own, but I like the big ones - especially in the dark timber.

• Sitka Gear