BOHUNTER09 04-Dec-16
t-roy 04-Dec-16
drycreek 04-Dec-16
canepole 08-Dec-16
DC 08-Dec-16
nutritionist 11-Dec-16
Coolcop 13-Dec-16
04-Dec-16
I have a question for you land managers.   I have been hunting the family farm for 30+ years.  130” bucks are becoming more common with a 3 point on one side rule the DNR implemented.  The larger bucks have rekindled a desire in me to spend more time in the deer woods   The 80 acres I hunt is mostly open on the east side with crops. To the west of the 80 is a 20 acre of cattail swamp (deer heaven).  The west half of the property is hardwoods and pines that gradually slopes down to the swamp. The deer can and do access the swamp from my property as the property line is 100 feet out into the cattails. My grandpa always called it a long 80, meaning the property in a quarter mile wide north to south and a half mile long east to west.   I only hunt the far west end of the property a handful of times once the rut kicks in, and I try to make them all day sits. Some days I see deer all day.   The rest of my hunts are on trails going out to the fields.  These stands are approximately half way between the east and west property line.     My question is.  On the southern edge of the property line approximately 150 yards from the west property line and 100 yards from the cattails there is a small clearing. The clearing is on top of the hill and approximately 150’ by 100’.  I’m thinking about planting inner sanctum in this clearing as it is surrounded by hardwoods.   My concern is all the extra traffic in the area that goes along with planting a food plot may change the deer pattern.  I try to not go back there much during the off season.  I will be able to access my stand from the neighbors to the south so as to not disturb bedded deer by the swamp.  Thoughts please.

04-Dec-16
Activity associated with putting in the food plot should not have more than a temporary effect on deer patterns. Probably no effect at all.

04-Dec-16
^^^X2. I think putting in a food plot can do nothing but enhance the property, plus it will give more you more options to put in additional stands. The ability to access this spot through the neighbors land should help as well.

One word of caution though. Putting in food plots can become expensive. Pretty soon you will be hiring a dozer, clearing other plots, buying more farm equipment, etc. It's a vicious cycle! Good luck with your project and enjoy every minute of it!

04-Dec-16
I food plot extensively on three places. I see no adverse or lasting deer reaction from the farm tractor when mowing, discing, etc. Plant it and they will come !

08-Dec-16
Just my opinion.... but since it's "mostly open on the east side with crops" with "hard woods and pines to the west" and "some days I (you) see deer all day". Also with the 20 acres of cattails bordering your property, I would like to think your 80 acres is a mini deer mecca.

All of these men can testify that food plots can get expensive and time consuming. Heaven forbid if you don't the get enough of rain at the right time or don't prep the soil correctly. There are some other options like maybe mowing or burning and fertilizing some areas. The new shoots will bring the deer in. Hinge cutting some of less desirable trees will provide some additional browse. Either way unless it's over hunted it should continue to be a great spot.

08-Dec-16
A good friend of mine had a major bed area of about 3 or 4 acre that was small pines sage grass and briers. He wanted to bush hog it all down and put in a green field. It was the best bed area he had. I talked him out of it. Instead he made three cuts 20 ft wide. One right through the center and two down both sides. We named it Turkey foot. The shooting house sat right at the head of the three cuts. Best field ever. Deer could get up any time of the day and get a quick bite and lay back down. Obviously you would have to be selective as to when and what you shoot.

11-Dec-16
I always advocate for creating scrapelines.My inner sanctum is for micro plots, kill plots and staging areas in shady areas or challenging areas. I have a great pic of 2 nice bucks sparring in the inner sanctum staging plot.

I believe you need as much food, water and cover as possible. Caution with getting to close to or hunting too close to these sanctuaries. In a perfect world i'd plant a perennial mix that has switchgrass, big blue stem, switchgrass, side oats grama and wild rye, and move a path through that mix to create a travel corridor to the perennial clover plot and.or scrapeline area.

I also would consider a 1/2 acre to 1 acre plot near the sanctuary where it would be just for winter feed, a cold tolerate brassica mix with winter bulbs. I am coming out with a winter bulb mix for program members and bowsite members. You might not even hunt over that but let that food source.

13-Dec-16

• Sitka Gear