timberdoodle 10-Dec-16
Flyman866 11-Dec-16
N8tureBoy 11-Dec-16
Chip T. 11-Dec-16
Muskrat 11-Dec-16
ESP 11-Dec-16
Aftermerl 12-Dec-16
04-Dec-16
What kind of arrow rest do you guys use? Name and model. A drop away or a whisker biscuit?

04-Dec-16
Vaportrail Pro V.

04-Dec-16
I had a whisker biscuit, now I've switched to drop away--Ripcord. I like it much better and it's quieter on the draw

04-Dec-16
QAD LD. Biscuit as a quick backup.

04-Dec-16
I used to have a Schaffer Opposition rest before i sold my bow

04-Dec-16
QAD Ultrarest HDX. It is a drop away. Never used a WB.

04-Dec-16
I've been looking to switch from my biscuit to a QAD Ultrarest HDX or a Ripcord Ace. What's your guys' thoughts on which is better? I'm leaning to the HDX.

04-Dec-16

04-Dec-16
Biscuit for about 12 years.

Just heard this past week of another guy who had a failure with drop aways

04-Dec-16
Both those are great rests. Virtually the same. Proper set up is key with either.

04-Dec-16
Biscuit all the way!

04-Dec-16
Drop away. Much better arrow flight after switching from WB.

04-Dec-16
Ripcord good luck Lewis

04-Dec-16
QAD HD, used to run a biscuit years ago.

04-Dec-16
Whisker biscuit, done. Why take a chance on failure? A WB will not not fail you and is just as accurate as a drop away when you use proper arrow spine and your bow is tuned.

05-Dec-16
Biscuit is Gravy on Deer Meat.....

05-Dec-16
Rip Cord for me

05-Dec-16
QAD Ultrarest HDX

05-Dec-16
biscuit sure shot pro. on all my bows.

05-Dec-16
it's about minimizing fletching contact not maximizing it

drop away

05-Dec-16
NAP Carbon Apache on all my bows. Never understood trying to tune your bow while having a rest that has total drag on the arrow and contact with the vanes. I'm as hard on my bow as anyone and I've never had a drop away fail.

05-Dec-16
WB. They are nearly idiot proof. Which suits my bull in the china shop approach to things.

05-Dec-16
I've been shooting QAD Ultra HD for many years. For my latest bow, I wanted to try a limb driven drop away and purchased a Hamskea Versa Rest.

05-Dec-16
Nothing like putting your shaft through a whisker biscuit! :-) I did the drop away thing until, it "let me down"...LOL.

05-Dec-16
I use a three prong capture rest. I think it's called quicktune 360. Price is about $50. It's got the best of both worlds. Holds my arrow on when still hunting and the vanes don't touch the brushes when I shoot. I am paranoid about the wb "catching" the vanes and affectin my accuaracy. But, I also didn't like the idea of my arrow being able to fall off the rest and that's why I chose what I did. Very happy with it.

My bil had 2 failures with his drop away in subsequent seasons. He's now using the same rest as me and is also very happy with it. My bow is in the truck right now and if your interested I can snap a pic of it when I leave for work.

05-Dec-16
Switched to WB years ago and honestly, I will probably never change. When I find something that works, I tend to stick with it! And I like the KISS principle! ;-)

05-Dec-16
I've ran the biscuit since 2007 including my current set up. Besides hearing about it from buddies, it hasn't let me down. It sure kills em!

05-Dec-16
qad hdx for me, wouldn't use a fixed rest now

05-Dec-16
biscuit for me at this point...maybe I would think different if I was out west taking longer shots or shooting competition. I don't want my hunt hinging on hinges...sorry Bou :)

05-Dec-16
Ripcord last 12 years no problems at all.

05-Dec-16
Fall away. Trophy Taker.

05-Dec-16
Bowhunter94 - the difference between the QAD and Ripcord is personal preference really. I used to shoot with a Ripcord but have seitched to a QAD. Preference is all.

05-Dec-16
W B

05-Dec-16
I shoot a Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro on one bow, a Hamskea Hybrid Hunter on another. I prefer the Trophy Taker.

05-Dec-16
Ripcord code red

05-Dec-16
Have a drop away on my primary and a WB on the back-up bow.Like them both.The drop away's are more accurate ;the WB more dependable so name your poison. I have a friend that is an excellent shot(300 scores indoors regular) and he shot a WB when he first started with excellent results but shrunk his group size when switching to a drop away.

05-Dec-16
Ripcord. Groups got SO much better when I switched from WB to drop away!!

05-Dec-16
Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro. Hate the name, love the rest !

05-Dec-16
Biscuit, shot one for 10 years and went to a drop away for 2 years. I had a pull up rope break and my bow fell. It caught the Drop away rest and really buggered it. I had to leave and go to my pro shop for a fix. While he was fixing it, I said never mind I am gonna throw a biscuit on it. Eyed it up and tightened it down and shot it thru paper, perfect. I now carry an extra one with me in my pack. They are fool proof and can be set up in the field with little to no tools. Shawn

05-Dec-16
Whisker biscuit for me. Switched to one last year after using qad since they came out. No plans on changing. Love the simplicity reliability. As far as accuracy changes...I am by no means a great shot so I didn't notice a difference. Keep all my shots less than 25 yards anyway.

05-Dec-16
Whisker Biscuit for me.

05-Dec-16
Have a QAD on one bow and a TT Smackdown Pro on the other. Prefer the QAD and might switch out the TT.

05-Dec-16
Biscuit. I tried a drop away and noticed no accuracy improvement, even out to 80 yards while target shooting. Went back to biscuit.

05-Dec-16
I have both.

WB on one bow, VaporTrail Limbdriver Pro on the other.

No real preference, one over the other.

05-Dec-16
One bow will always have a Biscuit for hunting. My other bows have NAP Apache Carbons. They had QAD (3 actually - all with issues) and Ripcord (current 2nd choice just a little loud).

05-Dec-16
Whisker Biscuit. Very Happy. After having arrows drop out of the stand and hit the ground, other rest fail and the fact that I love to spot and stalk, the WB was the answer. Just as accurate and it is not loud on the draw.

05-Dec-16
We've had two hunters in the last three years whose drop away's failed. The last was this past season with a Rip Cord. Biscuits aren't subject to mechanical failure, and the drop away rests fail too often to suit me and my outfitting business success rates. They cost me and those hunters their bulls. These primo elk licenses are too hard to draw to leave it up to possible mechanical failure.

05-Dec-16
Have used both. Drop away hands down.

05-Dec-16
whisker biscuit for more than 10 years, no issues.

05-Dec-16
The simple truth is that both options will work just fine. I was a long time WB user. The advantage of this rest is that it's pretty much bomb-proof. The disadvantages are minimal but I find the rest to be a little more finicky to fine-tune for FBBH's at long range, and the WB can make your set-up a little more sensitive to shooting form errors with FBBH. I switched my main hunting bow to a drop-away a couple years ago (Vapor Trail Limb Driver Pro Std). I saw improved groups on FBBH in the 60-100 yard range, as well as a consistently better appearance in the visual flight of the arrow, and a little more tolerance of shooting form errors.

For me, the incidence of field failures on drop-aways are so rare as to be statistically insignificant and therefore a non-factor for me when choosing a rest.

05-Dec-16
Hamskea hybrid pro hunter drop away is solid.

06-Dec-16
QAD on the compound; shelf on the rest.

Drop-away cost me a shot at an Elk when it iced up in a snowstorm. I'll hunt Elk with a compound again if I ever have to, but pretty much done with moving parts!

06-Dec-16
Just got to laugh. All the comments about "mechanical failure" are kind of funny considering that most of us are shooting compound bows, mechanical releases, laser rangefinders, etc. Not knocking anyone, just laughing at our "primitive weapons" and the "archer's paradox" in our efforts to "keep it simple".

Full disclosure: I shoot a compound with a mechanical release, use a dropaway, laser rangefinder, AND drive a truck with lots of moving parts subject to occasional failure to get me to my hunting hide-aways.

06-Dec-16
Just started using a ripcord and it's amazing so far!

06-Dec-16
Funny Bowman, now put a mechanical broadhead in the discussion and panties get all wadded up here...lol

06-Dec-16
tobywon: Amen! I was actually going to include that in my disclaimer but knew that I would lose all credibility once I put the word "mechanical" in front of broadhead.

06-Dec-16
Drop away hands down

06-Dec-16
I have shot a lot of drop aways and never had a problem. Have had biscuit take fletching's off. Im now using the QAD Ultra HD and it works great.

06-Dec-16
WB

06-Dec-16
WB on my fishing bows and DA on my hunting bows

07-Dec-16
All things considered, IMO, a properly tuned drop away rest is gonna be more accurate than a whisker biscuit. My wife had a WB on her last bow and my son still shoots with one. The wife is now shooting a QAD on her new rig and is a far better shot for it.

07-Dec-16
Ripcord for me. Bowsite Sponsor!

07-Dec-16
This is slightly off topic but the dealer that sold me a compound with a WB said to be sure to shoot the arrow with the cock vane pointing down. Does it matter? BobG

07-Dec-16
Shot a WB with fingers for years. They are a good rest. Never did get it quiet 100% of the time. A couple other little issues that probably don't matter to others..... Now and then (right or wrong) at super close ranges (a few feet) I'll go "instinctive" and sight down the shaft like so many years ago. Hard with a WB.

Shoot a drop away now, limbdriver pro v. Great rest. real easy set up, limb driven rests are the fastest there are. I do feel fall/drop away's are a more forgiving and accurate rest. So forgiving that over time you can get a little sloppy WRT form.

07-Dec-16
QAD on my three compounds....

07-Dec-16
Been shooting a WB for 8 years. I was thinking of trying a drop away for my next bow but I have never been let down with the WB and the bow shoots great. So if it aint broke I'm not gonna fix it.

07-Dec-16
Medusa Max drop away. Had a QAD too and never had an issue but the MM is quieter

I never got consistent arrow flight with a WB

10-Dec-16
Spike Bull, Thanks for your reply to my question. It certainly makes sense the way you explained it. I will give it a try. BobG.

10-Dec-16
I started using a biscuit back in 2000 or so. Replaced a 3D rover and, Kept it on my bow's for about 8 years. Killed a lot with it. I shot a 2413 through it. It slowed things down tremendously but, I could shoot the bow canted either direction to the same POA. It was really pretty cool. I shot it until I fell about 17 feet and landed on my bow one evening. Broke my biscuit.

Then I used some kind of drop away before going back to the trad bows. Now, I'm back to compounding a while and I have a biscuit on there. See no reason to do any different. I was shooting today, first day of sighting in, and was shooting softball size, 3 arrow groups at 50 yards. A drop away may be more accurate but, shooting 2 inch rayzor feathers through a biscuit sure is accurate enough.

I'l stick with my biscuit for a while. God Bless men

10-Dec-16
Switched from QAD to hamskea pro hybrid micro this season, & couldn't be happier.

11-Dec-16
Biscuit. Had a drop away and replaced it with a biscuit... it's way better. My shots are still dead on but mainly I have more freedom to move it around without it falling off the rest.

11-Dec-16
Either on is way better than what I had 20+ years ago.....

I currently use a WB, but may switch to a drop away in the off season and decide what works better for me. I suspect the biggest factor I can improve on though is what's behind my release, as it tends to have the highest failure rate : )

One additional thought about the WB worth mentioning is that the type of fletching you use will make a difference. If you manually pull an arrow through the WB with a steep angled Blazer type vane, there is a significantly increased amount of drag that you can feel as opposed to a more traditional vane. I suspect that a Blazer vane may travel a few fps slower as a result, but I don't have the chronograph data to support this. In the off season I plan to try using fletching with more helical twist, which I imagine requires a drop away rest.

11-Dec-16
You may lose a few fps with a WB but not enough to cause a problem

11-Dec-16
I personally prefer the WB. I get excellent results in practice out to 50 yards with broadheads, and rarely take a shot over 20 yards at a whitetail. I have not found a problem with them for hunting. I have fooled around with drop-aways minimally, and just don't see a reason to consider them for hunting. I shoot hunting bows of moderate speed, relatively heavy arrows, and 50-55#, which may have an effect on my choice. I don't know how a high speed bow with light arrows would perform with a WB.

11-Dec-16
I have shot both. In hunting situations I prefer a WB. I have averaged 10's on 3-D courses with a WB. I average a little better with a drop away. I can shoot better than bow hunter minute of angle with each. I am switching to Easton 6mm fmj to reduce the noise from WB.

12-Dec-16
QAD Ultra

• Sitka Gear