Jaquomo 08-Dec-16
DaleT 08-Dec-16
Chief 419 08-Dec-16
drycreek 08-Dec-16
drycreek 08-Dec-16
MNRazorhead 08-Dec-16
Bullhound 08-Dec-16
07-Dec-16
Today is the 75th anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Please keep the memory of those men that died that day alive. Pray for their souls and for their families. May God Bless America.

07-Dec-16
Amen. GOD Bless America.....

07-Dec-16
God bless America!

07-Dec-16
In everyone's lifetime there are two or 3 events (days) where the world stops. This was one of those days. My Dad and Mom were 20 years old that day! A time for war. Bill O'Reillys "Killing the Rising Sun" is a very well done history read. RIP

07-Dec-16
I visited the Arizona Memorial at the time of the attack, but not the date of the attack. It was an erie still feeling to see the oil slicks rise from the waters of the sunken ship. A real soul searching moment of how precious our freedom is.

God bless the men and women who lost their lives in that attack. God bless the families who lost love ones in that attack. May we never forget.

07-Dec-16

Altizer's embedded Photo
Altizer's embedded Photo
I'm a Pearl Harbor kid. Dad was 18 and I hard hat diver. He put the first two rounds' empty cases he fired in his pocket and I have them today. He rarely spoke of it but one night while we fished off our pontoon boat he started talking about it. The first blasts, watching the Arizona and being knocked down by the blast, and the sound of tapping as he dove and cut metal on the wreckage for the next week. He stayed in through Korea and once he left the Navy he didn't want to go back to the ocean. He finally took us when I was In high school. He first walked down to the beach by himself and set awhile. I could see him from the upstairs of the condo. He couldnt stay in the room if someone was eating crabs. Never spoke of the war after that. There was no need. Those boys saved the world. Stepped up and did what needed done. We need to return the favor. God bless them. Love my Dad and I'm proud of him.

07-Dec-16

sir misalots's embedded Photo
sir misalots's embedded Photo
In honor of all Vets and Dad. Thank a vet today, cause things could be have been a LOT different.

07-Dec-16
THANK YOU WW ll VETERANS

I had the privilege of serving with some of those WW ll Navy Vets. Good men and all of them are and were hero's.

Truly the "Greatest Generation".

07-Dec-16
My Mom would have been 77 Today. Her Mother was frosting her 2nd Birthday cake when the news of Pearl Harbor came over the Radio.

RIP Mom, and all the WWII Vets that made the ultimate sacrifice for our Freedom.

Best Wishes, Jeff

07-Dec-16
The greatest generation for sure.

07-Dec-16
I remember flying back to Hawaii in 1991, and I swear, I was the only young guy on the plane. The plane was loaded with vets going back for the 50th all decked out with their hats etc.

Sadly, all those guys are most likely gone now.

07-Dec-16
My Grandmother's brother 'Red' was on the U.S.S. Phelps in the harbor that day. The Phelps was undergoing some maintenance, but they were able to shoot down one of the Japanese planes.

Uncle Alfred died 5 years ago at 90 y.o.

07-Dec-16

IKE220's embedded Photo
IKE220's embedded Photo
Never Forget!! 75 years

07-Dec-16
As a Navy Veteran, this day is always in my thoughts.

I stood many of watches during my time, and I would often think how I would respond if I was there on that infamous day.

May we never forget the lives lost and many more that were changed on that day.

07-Dec-16
My father spent two years at Pearl Harbor;never really talked about it much.I have lots of his old pictures but they are mostly the good times there.He died in 2009 at 89 and I believe had a good productive life.The really odd thing is my birthday is Dec.7. My grand-father was a German immigrant (1915 or so) and had Federal agents interview him during WW II,at the time he had five sons serving in the South Pacific.

07-Dec-16
God Bless the Allied men and women of The Greatest Generation. My Dad was one of those Heroes who served in the Navy in the Pacific Theatre during WWII. He enlisted shortly after Pearl Harbor. He never spoke much at all about his time overseas except for the good times he had with his friends. He has been gone for almost four years now and I still miss him terribly. Before too long, all of those Heroes will be gone but never forgotten.

07-Dec-16

Bushwacker's embedded Photo
Bushwacker's embedded Photo
Hope this corrected the picture? Great write up on your father. I work with a former Navy hard hat diver. I called him over to look and read your post. I've been to the memorial, very heartfelt emotions for me as I was a young Marine at the time, that was in 1987.

07-Dec-16
Thanks and bless all the folks involved!!

07-Dec-16

nijimasu's Link
Not many left...

08-Dec-16
My dad was also a WWII vet. US Army T Sgt. Fought in the Pacific Theator island hopping.

08-Dec-16
My uncle Alma was killed in Pearl Harbor, my uncle Jack was killed in Korea......

Thankfully I lived thru 'Nam.....

Good luck, Robb

08-Dec-16

Zim1's embedded Photo
Zim1's embedded Photo
My dad did the same thing island hopping South Pacific for the 82nd division, first airborne division of the U.S. Army, while his brother survived 25 B-17 missions over Germany. Neither spoke of their experiences. Just came home and worked hard. I'd like to visit Pearl some day.

08-Dec-16
“You can bet, that the men and women that we honor today and those who died that fateful morning 75 years ago never took a knee and never failed to stand when they heard our national anthem being played,” he said. Navy Adm. Harry B. Harris Jr. made a not-so-subtle reference to NFLer Colin Kaepernick and his followers.

I love it, One of the all time best quotes I've heard in a long time! We owe everything to our veterans!

08-Dec-16
My bride and I will be there on the 17th of Jan.

08-Dec-16
Our wedding anniversary is Dec 7th. We went to see Hacksaw Ridge last night. Once again, it is a jarring reminder of the great sacrifices those men made to preserve our freedom.

Sort of puts arguments over arrow weight and FOC into perspective...

08-Dec-16

DaleT's embedded Photo
DaleT's embedded Photo
My dad was at Pearl Harbor during the bombing. He had put in for a transfer to the battleship Oklahoma (since he was from Oklahoma) a month or two before the bombing and was a little unhappy that his request had been turned down. He then witnessed the explosions on the Oklahoma and saw her rollover; he was on the crews that cut through the hull attempting to free the sailors (many of them already dead) trapped below-decks. The few times he talked about it, he followed that story with the saying "be careful what you wish for". The chunk of metal in the middle of the photo is a fragment he saved from a bomb that hit his ship that day. We found his diary in the photo shortly after his death. It was really interesting to read and get to know your father as a 20-year-old sailor during wartime. Like many others, he went through Dec 7th and other military engagements, came home, never complained, worked hard, married and raised a family. He was an avid bowhunter and all-around great guy - I'm lucky to have had him as a father!

08-Dec-16
I knew a WWII vet that recently passed. He was in the battle in the Gulf of Leyte. He was blown out of a gun turret on the USS Cabot when it was hit by a kamikaze. He said he came to when he hit the water and watched his home sailing away in battle. He said they were just kids doing what they were ordered to do. He was a hero to me. I'm fortunate to have known him.

08-Dec-16
I don't know who coined the phrase " The Greatest Generation ", but they hit the nail on the head. Those guys knew what had to be done, and they did it ! Most importantly, the guys pulling the strings were committed to winning, unlike today's bunch.

My best friends Dad is a WW II vet, still kicking at 94.

08-Dec-16
Oops.....

08-Dec-16
Tom Brokaw. "Brokaw was also exposed to many men and women from the World War II generation during his illustrious 39-year journalism career. In fact, he coined the term "Greatest Generation" while covering an event celebrating the 50th anniversary of D-Day. When co-anchor Tim Russert asked Brokaw what he thought of the assembled crowd of veterans, he spontaneously responded, "I think this is the greatest generation any society has ever produced."

08-Dec-16
Never, ever, forget.

• Sitka Gear