WV Mountaineer 19-Jan-17
07-Dec-16

Nick Muche's MOBILE embedded Photo

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
I have been extremely fortunate to do some pretty fantastic things up here in Alaska since I moved north back in 2013. I figured I'd share some photos from 2016 with you all. Hopefully you enjoy them.

My first hunt of the year was back in March. This was a pretty special hunt in 2015 when I did it and I got lucky to go back again this past spring. It was a hunt for Musk Ox with some pretty great friends. The first day of the hunt, my friend Tyler Freel's father was able to arrow an incredible Musk Ox with his recurve. He was on Cloud 9 no doubt about it!

07-Dec-16

The next Day, we had a special guest arrive. I consider myself pretty lucky to hunt with a guy as renown as Frank Noska and having him along with us was a pleasure. It was his birthday and we really wanted to see him get a bull. He had an opportunity, but the bull charged him and he didn't get a shot at it. After a few minutes, the bull came towards me and I decided that if he was good enough for Frank, he was good enough for me. My second Musk Ox, he was officially measured at 99 5/8ths.

07-Dec-16
Nick, Congrats. How does Ox taste? I shot a Caribou in the Brooks range and it was delicious. I enjoy deer a lot but the bou was even better to me. Seems the bigger the critter the better they taste.

07-Dec-16

The next day, we set out to find Frank a bull. We glassed up several groups throughout the day and finally found a really nice bull. Frank sat in the cold wind on the side of a hill for several hours waiting for a shot. Tyler was up above him trying to video it all and Brit was doing jumping jacks to stay warm by the sleds! I didn't want to watch this unfold from afar, so I slowly belly crawled right up to Frank. After an hour of waiting behind him, he took his gloves off for a shot, drew back and realized his goggles were still on, so he let down and his gloves almost flew away. I grabbed them real quick and that's when he saw I was next to him. Had to have been another two hours before the bull gave him a shot and Frank made it count. One of the nicest Musk Ox I've seen out there in two trips.

07-Dec-16

The bear I had to shoot after three days of very close and aggressive encounters. He tasted good!
The bear I had to shoot after three days of very close and aggressive encounters. He tasted good!
Once April arrived, we turned our focus to bears. We had plans to hunt grizzlies, brown bears and black bears. A family friend from High School had never hunted black bears and showed some interest in coming up. I picked him up from the airport and we headed out the next day. That evening we had one of those sits that most couldn't dream of and I am glad it was with a first time bear hunter. We were in the ground blind for only a few seconds when I looked out the window to see a bear staring at us at 3-4 feet! That bear proved to be a PITA over the next three days and the short story is, I killed him, he left me no choice...

The short story to our first sit of the year on this bait was that in 37 minutes, my buddy from WI had arrowed his first bear and we saw 4 others. 37 minutes!

07-Dec-16

That same evening, my buddy and his wife sat on one of our other baits. They had a giant bear come in and sit down 10 yards away, and he never gave them a shot. Not long after that one left, another came in and his wife got her first archery kill!

07-Dec-16

What a bear....
What a bear....
The following weekend, Tyler and I went back to one of my baits. We grabbed the card out of the camera and crawled into the ground blind. I'm looking through photos and counting the different bears, things are looking up. I get to the photos taken just minutes before we arrived and this is what I see....

No long gun with us, cause we are forgetful, just a 44. Sitting in the ground blind that they just walked by within mere feet, I look up to the tree stands and we both agree we better get up there.

07-Dec-16

After sitting up there for a short time, this black bear came in and offered me an 8 yard shot. I took it and it piled up within 15 yards of the tree. Short track job, long pack out.

07-Dec-16

Tyler and I put in some serious hours on the grizzly stands this spring. We heard bears nearby on each trip but nothing would go right for me. Tyler went up to our more active bait solo cause I had to work. He shot this awesome interior grizzly with his trad bow.

07-Dec-16
Very cool story Nick, can't wait to hear the rest!

07-Dec-16

A week later, I wanted to do some fishing so I headed south and while I was there my buddy asked if I wanted to sit a bait one night. Sure thing bud. So he and I climbed up and just before dark a brown bear came in. It wasn't the bear he wanted to shoot so I got the green light. I shot this bear at 8 yards and he went 30 or so.

07-Dec-16

The same night that I shot my brown bear, Tyler said that he and his dad were gonna go and try to kill another bear off the bait he shot his on. Sure enough, got a text the next morning, and his dad shot this awesome interior grizzly, with his trad bow.

07-Dec-16

After a short break from the bow hunting and a family visit we decided to go hunt caribou. Every weekend, we'd leave town after work on Friday, head north and see if we couldn't find some. July 10th, my buddy and I arrowed this bull. The bugs were HORRIBLE, but the trip was a success.

07-Dec-16

The next trip up, we saw very few caribou. My buddy killed a cow and I stalked this bull in a creek bed.

07-Dec-16
Looks like a great season Nick! Congrats, great to see you are able to make the most of your time in Alaska, always enjoy your stories.

07-Dec-16

Zac jus couldn't help himself :)
Zac jus couldn't help himself :)
The next trip up we saw several more than the previous trips. I think my buddy shot 2 or 3 cows, and on the way home I spotted this bull drinking out of a seap on the side of the mountain. I stalked him, ranged him, said 89 yards. Drew back and shot, the arrow went right over his back.... He never moved... knocked another arrow, ranged him again and it said 61. MUCH better, should have ranged him right the first time. Arrow hit him perfectly and he was expired in just a few seconds.

07-Dec-16

Countless bison have used this trail for years.
Countless bison have used this trail for years.
After sheep and moose hunting for most of Aug and Sep on weekends, and not having any luck, I was excited for October 1st, so that I could begin hunting Bison. I had the Delta tag and we hunted hard the first two days with zero bison spotted. On the third day, we tossed around the idea of trying this place, or that place, or just driving around, etc to see if we could locate a herd to hunt. I had this feeling like we were missing out on something so I told my buddy to drive over to Bob's place. We got there and talked with him, he said other people were hunting but they didn't listen to him on where to go. He told us where to check out and we made quick work of locating fresh sign. Once we found where they likely would come out into the field we set up and waited. Just before dark a small group of bison came walking down the trail. I made the 400 yard stalk to where they were, took my shoes off and ended up getting a 48 yard shot at this bull. Unreal feeling watching an arrow pass clean through an animal the size of a Buffalo... I'll never forget it.

07-Dec-16
Livin the dream...What a great year Nick.

07-Dec-16

A few days after the bison hunt I went to MT for what seemed like the quickest trip ever. I sure wish I could have stayed much longer, I feel that way every single time I go there to hunt and hang out with Hunter. In the end, I was able to arrow this bighorn ewe and I'd say the trip was well worth it! We made a hunt out of it and hiked in quite a ways. Saw some dandy rams, etc.... it was great, just to be there with my buddies doing what we love.

07-Dec-16

22 yards
22 yards
Home away from home. Only way to beat an Arctic Oven with a heat source is cabin with one!
Home away from home. Only way to beat an Arctic Oven with a heat source is cabin with one!
The hunt I was looking forward to the most, was scheduled for the end of October. A DIY brown bear hunt on Kodiak. I had two stipulations about it, must use bow and must be big! I passed several bears, including one that was 9' or so on the very first morning. 4 or 5 others inside 20-30 yards and a few even closer. We found some bears that I would have been elated to tag, but every time we tried, something went wrong. Big bears are smart and they are big for a reason. They have to make a mistake to get into bow range undetected, in my opinion, and none did. I am 0 for 2 on DIY brown bear hunts, hopefully my 3rd time I can change that.

07-Dec-16

Nevermind the rifle, after six days of glassing I had to turn him loose before he lost his sanity!
Nevermind the rifle, after six days of glassing I had to turn him loose before he lost his sanity!
Glass all day for three more days and let him loose again!
Glass all day for three more days and let him loose again!
Matty's last tag, he made it count. I watched the entire thing unfold from across the lake through the spotter. What a sight it was to see him succeed on the buck he went over there for!
Matty's last tag, he made it count. I watched the entire thing unfold from across the lake through the spotter. What a sight it was to see him succeed on the buck he went over there for!
I was able to arrow this Sitka buck though. My buddy rattled him in with two sheds we had found earlier in the trip. 10 yard shot or so.

07-Dec-16

After 11 days of glassing and only shooting a fox, I decided I needed to scratch an itch. I thought it was a doe, it wasn't, no worries....we had a gut pile to sit and it was gone by the next morning
After 11 days of glassing and only shooting a fox, I decided I needed to scratch an itch. I thought it was a doe, it wasn't, no worries....we had a gut pile to sit and it was gone by the next morning
Nice cross fox from Kodiak

07-Dec-16
OK, after seeing those photos.... my life really sucks :) (just kiddin')

07-Dec-16
Great season! Congrats Nick!

07-Dec-16

Bonus Bear on the drive home from caribou hunting.

07-Dec-16

Don't shoot a rage, you'll forget how to blood trail animals.
Don't shoot a rage, you'll forget how to blood trail animals.
My buddy sure is hard on cows! But, the more he shoots them, the easier it is for me to convince him the next "one" is mine which are usually Bulls!

07-Dec-16
Wow! What a year! Thanks for sharing

07-Dec-16

Good eating though, we must have made 100lbs of jerky.

07-Dec-16

The hunting this year was great, I can't lie. But the best moments I had in 2016 were the few days I got to spend with my Dad. He came up and I took him fishing all over the place.

Here's a Sheefish from the Yukon River. He was amazed at all there is to do up here. Can't wait until he comes back.

07-Dec-16

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
I love it!! Great to see you making it happen for yourself!!

Can't wait for The next adventure !! Congrats again Nick !!! HD

07-Dec-16

I hope that everyone has a great holiday season, stays safe and makes the most of 2017. Best of luck and thanks for following!

07-Dec-16
Bad ass! Thanks for posting

07-Dec-16

07-Dec-16

07-Dec-16
What?....no Bullwinkle? ;)

That's one HECK of a hunting season there Nick. It's amazing what youth, vigor and the drive to hunt can accomplish when taken to Alaska. Absolute congratulations on a spectacular year and thanks for showing us there are still overachievers out there!

07-Dec-16
Excellent! I'm sure you're at the point where a "Chickadee" would be too much to clean right now. Great year!

07-Dec-16

Kevin, thanks a bunch for the kind words. It's amazing what a guy can do with some great friends that all want the same thing. It's all out there, just gotta want it.

I did hunt moose, quite a bit actually, but with no time to fly out I was forced to hunt close to home or on an airboat with my 71 year old neighbor. That was a blast, and I am looking forward to more of it next fall.

07-Dec-16
Wow what a year! You're living the dream. Thanks for sharing all the success.

07-Dec-16
Nick, you are kicking ass and taking names ! What a thread ! Congrats on 2016 !

07-Dec-16
Nick, I tell friends that I bow hunt 9 months of the year, but I am retired. You are doing OK for a working guy but you stated it correctly. "you have to want it". I agree.

my best, Paul

07-Dec-16
That's it! I'm packing up the wife and dogs and we're moving to Alaska. :)

Congratulations on your successes!

07-Dec-16
Rick, come up anytime and I'll point you and your bride in the right direction!

07-Dec-16
Nick is my hero. Nice going brother. Maybe I'll bring Mr. Embry with me next time!

--Jim

07-Dec-16
Unfriken believeable... Congrats Nick and all your buddies who get to hunt with you. You are living my dream.... Ed F

07-Dec-16
Absolutely awesome! I was wondering when you'd post them all up! Great job Nick and grats even more so on living the life and making it happen. You're an absolute killer and that's the highest compliment I can give you. I'm really happy for you, grats again!

07-Dec-16
Outstanding Nick! Way to fuel the passion!

07-Dec-16
As always bro... great job!!

08-Dec-16
Great thread!!

08-Dec-16
Definitely a hell of a year.

Just went out for a rip.

08-Dec-16
Just out for a rip indeed TEmbry

08-Dec-16
Unbelievable season. That is incredible. Great job.

I thought I had a great season after catching two turtles, a king snake and seeing three deer. Looks like I have been topped.

08-Dec-16
One day when your older you're going to look back at all these pix and think... I hunted too much :)

08-Dec-16
Well done Mr. Muche. Well done

08-Dec-16
Wow, Nick, can't say anything that hasn't been said already! Fabulous...

08-Dec-16
Incredible 2016 Nick!

Congrats !

08-Dec-16
Congrats on an incredible year.

08-Dec-16
Congrats on your season ! Thank you for sharing .

08-Dec-16
That's the way to do it. Congrats!

08-Dec-16
Hoooly sheeeeeeit! Congratulations Nick! I mean CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You are livin' the dream.... Thanks you for sharing!

>>>>-------->

08-Dec-16
Grats Nick! How amazing is the bison meat?

08-Dec-16
Gotta one up you EmbryOk. Im packing for the wife and dogs and kicking them out. Then Im gonna quit my 30 year job and move in with Nick!

Seriously, huge congrats to you Nick and thanks for sharing. Your one that makes this sight so great. I for one love to see the ones who have made the time and funds to do it and be successful in all aspects of the hunt as well. Cant wait to see your next adventure.

08-Dec-16
Great thread. Congrats

08-Dec-16
Outstanding Nick! Thanks for posting.

08-Dec-16
Lots of great memories made this year and nice that you captured so much of it in pictures.

08-Dec-16
Amazing year Nick, living the dream for sure. I think your post confirms why my wife did not want me to take the Kodiak Borough Manager position-

08-Dec-16
Fantastic Nick! Hard earned trophies, every one!!

Even though places like Alaska are full of opportunities, not everyone has the drive to make the best of them.

Some people are surrounded by opportunity but only pick at it around the edges, like they don't really have an appetite. But you sink your teeth in deep and indulge with gusto! Alaska is a banquet enjoyed most by those with a driving, insatiable hunger for adventure.

Congratulations and keep on pushing hard. And a big thanks for letting us share in your feast.

08-Dec-16
Nick- I think you may be giving your buddy Hunter a run for the money on greatest season ever. Huge congrats on all the success. How did you get all the time off from work to accomplish this??!

08-Dec-16
That's a whole lotta awesome there Nick!

08-Dec-16
Nick you are the man! What a bunch of nice animals and even better adventures!

08-Dec-16
Way to get after it!

08-Dec-16
Most all of the hunting I do is done over the weekends. I do a few trips each year for a week or more but a person can certainly have a good hunt in short time with a plan and the willingness to drive. That said, I killed the bison closet to home, 120 miles away.

08-Dec-16
You are living the dream man. Makes me sick...LOL. I would say you had an awesome season! Great post...

Darrall Dougherty

08-Dec-16
You mean people drive 10 hours one way to hunt for a day and drive home 10 hours ? Sounds crazy to me!!

08-Dec-16
Nick, phenomenal season! You sure are taking advantage of your opportunities up there.

Did you have any close calls while moose or sheep hunting?

08-Dec-16

Messed up on this ram with the bow. Hopefully he's close to the same spot next fall.

Should have had a moose, but it all happened too fast.

08-Dec-16
Dang Nick, that's an impressive pile of critters!

Great Season/ memories...Congrats!

Best of Luck, Jeff

08-Dec-16
Unreal Nick!!! You are my hero too :) !

Good luck in 2017. I'll be looking forward to the pictures and the flashes of jealousy it brings me :)

Bake

08-Dec-16
Rough year! :)

Congrats and keeping living the dream!

08-Dec-16
Nicely done Nick !!!! Wow what a season!

08-Dec-16
AMAZING!!! Congrats Nick!!! Thanks for posting up the pics and the stories!!!

Mark

08-Dec-16
Nick you da man!! Congrats again buddy!!

08-Dec-16
You have THE MEATS! That's a whole lot of adventure bud...keep it comin!

08-Dec-16
Congratulations Nick. You proved its all there, and its all about how bad do you want it.

08-Dec-16
My goodness.

08-Dec-16
Wow, good job on taking advantage of the Alaskan resources!

08-Dec-16
Congrats on a successful season. The missed opportunities on moose and sheep will be rewarded next year. Did you hunt any mountain goats this season?

08-Dec-16
Congrats again Nick, but can you get Aron to give you some lessons on photography? Come on man we gotta complain about something! Very few people on this planet I would swap places with, You are one! Congrats! Mike

08-Dec-16
Great stuff Nick! Love it!! Keep up the good work! Matt

08-Dec-16
Congrats on a great year. They sure give the new AF recruits more time off than when I was in! :)

08-Dec-16
Haha, that's funny Bowboy!

Same 30 days, holidays etc as you had. Some choose to use their leave doing what they love, some use their leave to sit at home and others never use it and lose it.

I haven't had a sizable leave balance since I joined in 2005. I don't regret that at all. Plan it out a year in advance, stay disciplined and use it wisely.

08-Dec-16
Really cool. Thanks for sharing.

08-Dec-16
Heck of a season Congrats ! and thanks for sharing.

08-Dec-16
Wow!!! How big did you make that trophy room??

08-Dec-16
I thought everyone's wife just lets them put their mounts all over the house? One room sounds limiting :)

Three freezers are full of meats though, that's pretty nice.

08-Dec-16
Very nice, thanks for taking us along!

08-Dec-16
Great year of hunting and thanks for sharing it with us. The wife and I spent this summer traveling around Alaska with our travel trailer. I didn't get any bowhunting in but was awed by the scenery and just how big the state is...and I only drove the highways in the lower SE!

Where are you stationed Nick?

08-Dec-16
You've carved an excellent life for you and the Mrs. up there in Alaska. Congrats !

08-Dec-16
Very impressive! Thanks for sharing all the pics. Congrats on a great year of hunting.

09-Dec-16
Nick, looks like the move to Fairbanks is working out OK!! Enjoy and tell Pete I said hello.

Rick M

09-Dec-16
Good for you and your hunting buddies Nick

Congrats

Thanks for sharing

Good luck, Robb

09-Dec-16
Pfffft....big deal, Nick. How many squirrels did ya' kill this year? Btw...it's a pretty shameless thing, mentioning Rage broadheads, just to get your thread over 100+ posts! :-)

In all seriousness, looks like you've accumulated a lifetime of memories in 2016! Great pictures, spectacular trophies, and wonderful stories. Thank you for posting this, and taking us all along on your journeys. Keep up the good work in Alaska!

09-Dec-16
Wow, I enjoyed reading that - thanks for sharing. Great pics and an amazing season! That Bison is a thing of beauty.

What are the details on that Jerky setup you have there?

09-Dec-16
Congratulations on an epic season!

09-Dec-16
Thanks for sharing. Congrats on a season to remember!

09-Dec-16
Let me know if you run out of meat and I'll send some deer meat from the deep south;)

09-Dec-16
That was awesome on a stick..... what a great year..... Congrats Nick!

Thanks much for sharing.

09-Dec-16
Great 2016 season. Thanks for sharing. Wish you the best of luck for 2017!

19-Jan-17
Julius, the bison meat is damn good, I think I enjoy it more than musk ox which is likely my favorite. This herd has the luxury of feeding in farm fields most of the year, so I am sure that helps. I hope to do a side by side taste test with a bison from another part of Alaska someday.

Chief, 419, I planned to have a day or two to hunt goats while on Kodiak but I didn't want to stop glassing/hunting bears (that's why I went) long enough to head up the mountain. I could see goats from camp and it was tempting! Hoping to go next month if I can get the time off I need.

Dwayne, I am at Eielson, near Fairbanks. Great place for a hunter, not so good if love to fish, but we find a way to do enough of both when we can.

DanJ, the jerky setup is the commercial grade dehydrator from Cabelas. It's a pretty sweet setup and allows you to do good sized batches with ease.

19-Jan-17
Thanks Nick. Hunting goats on Kodiak is on my very short list. 2018 is going to be the year. Good luck next season!

19-Jan-17
Wow! Missed this first time around...

Congrats on a great season!

19-Jan-17

kellyharris's embedded Photo
kellyharris's embedded Photo
Nick, is this all your photos? Or are there others I can find on multiple websites by simply googling your name?

You have to be one of the greatest hunters out there, Year in year out you put in the effort and it is by no means a (SHORT) task!

BTW great photos, glad you enjoyed your time with your dad.

I may not kill often but being with my dad and my wife and daughter in the woods trying to hunt is everything!!!

Any hoot I got a rabbit in 2016 as you can see!

19-Jan-17
Lol

19-Jan-17
Great photos and year Nick! CONGRATS!!!

19-Jan-17
Thanks for sharing!!

19-Jan-17
How did I miss this thread!!!!!!!

Awesome man. Stone Cold hunting machine. Congrats and God Bless bro.

• Sitka Gear