Purdue 09-Dec-16
BTM 09-Dec-16
x-man 09-Dec-16
oldgoat 10-Dec-16
jstephens61 10-Dec-16
BTM 10-Dec-16
rick allison 10-Dec-16
08-Dec-16
I'm looking to start building my own arrows from bare shaft to finished product. Wondering what everyone is using for arrow saw and fletching jig. Need to be able to fletch a blazer type vane for my compound and a 4" feather for my trad bows.

Thanks in advance for all responses

08-Dec-16
the bitzenburger is one of if not the best fletching tools. I have had mine for nearly 40 years.

harbor freight sells a small motor driven cut off tool that will cut carbons. it is item 62136 or similar. if you are not doing a lot of arrows, this will work fine and not break the bank.

08-Dec-16

Mike the Carpenter's Link
Here is a wood arrow "How-to" I put together. I use the Bitzenberger (sp?) fletcher.

08-Dec-16
Westin Arrow Saw 8,000 RPM

Bitzenberger Fletching Jig

08-Dec-16
if you plan to use Blazer vanes then Bohning's Helix fletcher works best. Also use acetone to clean the shaft

08-Dec-16
Westin arrow saw

Bitzenburger clamp. I'm shooting AAE pro max vanes 4 fletch

08-Dec-16
Westin saw.

If I could only own 1 fletcher, it would be a Bitz but it's hard to beat the Arizona Mini for the Blazer type vanes.

08-Dec-16
I should probably buy a arrow saw but I've been cutting my FMJ's with a table saw with a carbide blade and squaring them up with the G5 arrow squaring tool.

Been using the JoJan fletcher for many years for 4" feathers and recently have been using it for blazers and it works well. I like to be able to do 6 arrows at a time.

08-Dec-16
An arrow saw is nice, but unnecessay for small quantities of arrows. Properly sized nocks and inserts locate on the ID of the shaft and have nothing to do with the component's squareness to the shaft. The ends of the shafts just limit the distance they can be inserted into the shaft. Now the shareness of the end of the insert is a differnt matter.

08-Dec-16
I cut carbon shafts for several years on a 10" chop saw with a VERY sharp blade. Just go very slow.

G5 squaring tool is more valuable than a dedicated arrow saw IMO. Can use it to square up shafts that aren't spinning as they should too. Square shafts are MUCH more durable on impact than off square, even if you can get it to spin well. I square both ends of the shaft as well as the inserts after gluing them. But I'm not doing them commercially either, just for me.

That said I now have/use the Westin saw with a cheap vacuum for the dust from Costco.

Bitz's are great fletchers. They are bombproof and last forever, if you are patient you can pick one up on ebay pretty cheap, same with the saw. That is where I got all mine. I have straight clamps but prefer the helical clamps. I had a few of them back when I used fletchtite, etc. as the drying time was substantial. With the superglues I use now I can pretty much fletch as fast as I can prep. (really like the zinger prep, works well) I fletch onto wraps.

If you only shoot blazer type vanes the AZ mini is great. Even the Bitz can't beat the helical job you can put on with them.

08-Dec-16
Is there that much difference in an 8000 rpm saw and a 5000 rpm saw? Just curious.

08-Dec-16
Hands down, the AZ EZ Fletch mini for Blazer type vanes.

08-Dec-16
+1 on the Zing primer.

08-Dec-16
Bitz are fantastic,, if that's your choice .be sure to buy extra clamps with it..as you get more efficient fletching you'll find the need for at least one more clamp,i built a jig for my dremel tool to use as a cut off saw..15000 rpm,,be sure to build jig so every shafts cut square..you'll find good feathers are expensive ,,be positive and careful when you fletch um...I'm a tighta**..lol

08-Dec-16
Heads up sportsman guide has the westen 8000 rpm arrow saw on clearance and first time buyers can use TAKEOFF20% coupon code. I got for a few cents under $112

09-Dec-16
I've used my 1750 rpm bench grinder to cut arrows. I prefer my 18,000 rpm dremel, but most anything will work.

09-Dec-16
Things I've learned over the years: I've used a masonry or steel abrasive blade on a chop saw for years to cut carbon shafts. (Probably not cheaper than a dedicated arrow saw, but I already owned a chop saw from my days as a carpenter.) Just go nice and slow. Bitz fletcher works well, but I wish it could be adjusted so I don't have to "eyeball" (re-index) things when replacing a single vane. Roughen the shaft with sandpaper to give a better bond. I've heard to not use acetone on carbon shafts, so I use 91% isopropyl alcohol (NOT the 70% rubbing alcohol). Don't wipe off the vane bases unless specifically told to by the mfr. (Some vanes are treated to bond better to the shafts.) When done, place a dab of fletching cement on the leading edge of the vane.

09-Dec-16
I used to own a 5000 rpm saw, then bought the 8,000 Westin. No comparison, the 8,000 cuts much cleaner. With it you won't have to square any carbon shafts that receive traditional inserts. You will still need to square HIT type shafts like the Axis and FMJ.

10-Dec-16
Get the higher speed Weston saw that has dust collector attachment, hook a shop vac to it. Bitzenberger is the bomb!

10-Dec-16
I have a Bitz that I got at a yard sale, pissed off x wife, a 6 arrow jojan and a Arizona. I've went to Blazers ,so the Arizona gets the workout. I use a apple cut saw and the G5 square tool.

10-Dec-16
As far as insert and carbon shafts, the key is to really roughen up the inside. I use a 270 cal bore brush to remove that slick interior, then remove the residue with 91% alcohol. Then use 24-hour epoxy (not the five-minute stuff) on the inserts.

10-Dec-16
Love the Bitz...I've used the same 3 jigs for about 40 years. I'm a trad guy, and shoot wood or aluminum. I cut aluminum with a tube cutter...gently.

• Sitka Gear