timberdoodle 13-Jan-17
ELKMAN 13-Jan-17
JLS 13-Jan-17
LUNG$HOT 13-Jan-17
JLS 13-Jan-17
LUNG$HOT 13-Jan-17
ELKMAN 16-Jan-17
07-Jan-17
http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2017/01/05/house-gop-rules-change-puts-public-huntingfishing-lands-chopping-block/

Well this doesn't look like a promising beginning...

07-Jan-17
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/01/03/house-gop-rules-change-would-make-it-easier-to-sell-off-federal-land/?postshare=5731483489895334&tid=ss_fb-bottom&utm_term=.b6fd0245da8a

07-Jan-17
Here you go, Elkman, I got you a direct link to the story. I agree, this is not good. Edit, bowsite is giving me an error. Will post the link later.

07-Jan-17
I called my congressman this week on this, everyone should do the same

07-Jan-17

MNRazorhead's Link

07-Jan-17

MNRazorhead's Link

07-Jan-17
This has been a republican issue all along I'm not sure why so many outdoorsmen thought Trump would be good for hunters. Not saying he was the wrong choice but on this issue he was never a promising one.

07-Jan-17
This is not Trump this is the House of Representatives. Hopefully we will get some help from the Trump administration

07-Jan-17
The sad part is reading all the comments from those that think this will be a good thing.........

07-Jan-17
Not a good thing . They have a huge debt to pay and instead of manning up and cutting spending . They look at this as part of the answer . Get the money for the land then put the land on tax roles . Win win as far as they are concerned.

07-Jan-17
Problem is, it is only a one time fix. A gov't this size can never be responsible on spending, especially with all the handout programs, and the deficit will only climb again. If they want to put something on the chopping block, let's start with gov't wellfare and certain funding programs given to non-revenue generating entities.

Yes, time for them to pay the piper and learn to manage money the way we all have to...

07-Jan-17
Good luck getting support from Trump, with the exception of that BS Field and Stream interview he's more or less reiterated that states should play a larger role in land management not to mention the expectation that lands will be open to drilling and energy exploration....no sense in crying about it now though...write letters and support organizations such as BHA that have a voice and hope for the best

07-Jan-17
trump will veto this bill i bet.

07-Jan-17
Good luck getting support from Trump, with the exception of that BS Field and Stream interview he's more or less reiterated that states should play a larger role in land management not to mention the expectation that lands will be open to drilling and energy exploration....no sense in crying about it now though...write letters and support organizations such as BHA that have a voice and hope for the best

07-Jan-17
Democrats would get rid of all guns and hunting in a second if they could - aint many hunters and gun owners Democrats, so Republicans are our only choice.

I don't know what I'd do if public lands went away. It would literally end the history of hunting in America, reducing it to a high fence, pay for play shootfest in most cases.

07-Jan-17
Well, at least 4 things stand out to me about that article:

1) Washington Post: F-

2) Environmentalists: F-

3) Democrats: F-

4) Strong Federal regulation: F-

If all 4 cast a poor light on this, then there's more to it than meets the eye. Remember this: at any time, Big Brother can decide to kick every hunter off their lands for whatever reason they decide. We came way close to that happening with this last admin., but garden-variety mass-media news wasn't interested in "talking about it".

Now... about handing it over (so to speak) to the states: any better? Who knows. Here in NY that would be fantastic, we have excellent liberty on State lands, and grass roots groups guard its status ferociously. But as we all know... its all dust in the wind isn't it?

07-Jan-17
bow shot, you might think transfer is preferable in NY, but here in the west transferring management to the state ensures eventual sale to private landowners and loss of public access.

These are not "Big Brother's" lands. They belong to every citizen of the United States of America and are managed by departments of the federal government.

They were not taken from the states and were never the state's to begin with.

07-Jan-17
Does anyone have a link to see what is being proposed from the house? So, interested parties can wade through the rhetoric and, political slant this thread exhibits?

08-Jan-17
WV Mountaineer, https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/01/03/house-gop-rules-change-would-make-it-easier-to-sell-off-federal-land/?utm_term=.f4b44b30b6a4

08-Jan-17
I don't vote for a Party, I vote my agenda, public land hunting Is a big part of my life, as a lifelong republican any politician supporting this agenda will not be getting my vote regardless of party affiliation.

08-Jan-17
I think a lot of people have a certain misconception about federal control of public lands. I've read so many posts on so many of these threads, here and elsewhere, that it's hard to really know what to expect. There are a lot of people who fall in sync with any rhetoric that celebrity hunters write and there are a lot of people that write about the "tinfoil hat" crowd.

In truth, the fed can close hunting and shooting on public land anytime they want. In truth, the fed can close designated public land for the sole interest of special groups anytime they want.

In truth, the state can close hunting and shooting on public land (if held by the states) and can designate state held land (if it were all transferred) as state parks and close hunting and shooting just the same.

We're lucky in New Mexico, I guess. As much as I don't agree with democrat policies and platforms, if the land were to be transferred to the states, the dem held majority in the state gov't wouldn't sell it off either, they'll just raise state taxes to fill in the gap. Unless they fall sucker to the tears streaming down cheeks diatribe of old landgrants and cultural traditional use...

I think both sides of the argument only have half the information. How else do you think the fed can cut taxes, which everyone wants, without getting rid of some expenditures? As I said above, get rid of giving out money to those who are too lazy to earn it themselves. Then the burden of running federal lands may not be so much.

08-Jan-17
This is in NO WAY a good thing...

08-Jan-17
Gerald, I appreciate it.

HDE, Legally the feds cannot close access to public owned land anytime they want. They could try. And, would I'm certain. But, they will loose in court.

The whole understanding of this debacle is unbelieveable. We have voted in liberal officials that had zero accountability to control spending, to indebt us to this point. And, we now want to pick a political party based on where they seem to stand? Here's the deal. Dem's and Reb's could care less about us as a whole. Most are liberal regardless of party affiliation. You want to stop this in the future? Vote conservative. We would never be indebt had that been the case. God Bless

08-Jan-17
WV, true they cannot close the land, but can they not stop the hunting and shooting on it? The fed obliges states to manage wildlife through hunting.

And by designated public land I mean monuments and/or national parks.

08-Jan-17
I understand. But, in truth pubic owned land management is directed by the people. And, the only way it can be legally closed to hunting by the government is upon revision of the management plan, the people request that. Or, the land gets designated as you said. I was just pointing that out as you said public land can be closed at anytime by the government. BLM land can. National Forest Land cannot by law.

It's safe to say that as long as the land doesn't get put into hands to sell, or designated as some special government title that no longer requires public input for management, we hunters are good. God Bless men

08-Jan-17
10-4. That's because USFS is not public land. It is termed as 'heritage land' and under a separate governance.

09-Jan-17
I personally think the Feds will never ever relinquish control of the Federal managed lands. The few western congressmen are greatly outvoted by the eastern lawmakers and will I think make it very hard to pass legislation to turn the Federal land management back to the states.

I personally think many in the hunting community are getting all lathered up over nothing. At least I hope so, as I am a public lands hunter and darn sure don't want to see this drastic move. The FS and BLM are big cumbersome tax wasting Federal Agencies that make up their own regulations (CFR's) and by pass congress anyway. Most of us here in the west look down our noses at employees of these agencies and many are our neighbors and family members. For the big part they are bloated agencies with a history of make work, do nothing attitudes. So much waste and misdirection of taxpayer money. The biggest cancer is the humongous Fire Fighting Division. Talk about a huge over spending waste of our tax dollars. No wonder our western Congressmen are wanting change.

10-Jan-17
Trump has named Rep Ryan Zinke to head Interior. He voted for the bill.

Say goodbye to a lot of federal lands.

10-Jan-17
I think the House really voted on the measure to send it to the Senate so it can be debated, which is their job. It will be revamped, things added and deleted, then voted on. The House will see it again.

10-Jan-17
I suspect the BLM Lands, will be the first to go. Most people don't even know what they (BLM LANDS) are.

Whether you are a supporter of the new President Elect, or not it will not matter. Just recall some of his words

"To many regulations. We are going to change that. Get rid of / reduce regulations that inhibit / hurt the growth of business."

Politically this is advantageous for business, i.e. logging / timber industry, mining, certain ranching interests, and last but certainly not least the people who wish to develop the these lands for commercial purposes.

We need to look at his selections for cabinet positions and those selected to head up various agencies. Look at their backgrounds and their former or current positions in business, or their political positions regarding these / this issue. (National Lands).

The rhetoric of "It cost the taxpayer to much money for the Government to oversee this agency and lands" is a shallow reasoning or argument in order to take away land that rightfully belongs to all of us !

Our children and to our descendants stand to lose far more than we do. We may loose our opportunities to hunt these lands. They may never have the right to see or enjoy these lands ever again !

Yes elections do have consequences !

What is next ? The "Constitution" ? What part ( s ) of the Constitution that someone or a political party or faction thereof doesn't agree with ?

Time will tell regarding this election even if it appears to be on a fast track to take over / give away Federal Lands, and our rights to hunt, fish, traverse the grounds WE paid for (taxes, fee,s, permits, etc.) as did our forefathers.

Now is the time to lend one voice to stop the take over of our heritage. Contact your congressman and Senator. To speak out against the proposed give away / take over by the state of Federal Land.

Perhaps it is time to stop the rhetoric of discord. He / She is a Democrat, a Republican or the other (often silly) remarks regarding another's political view or persuasions.

I am a Husband, a Father, a Grandfather, a Veteran, a Hunter, a Christian, and yes a Democratic. I want to protect our rights, including our Federal Lands. I want to insure myself, my children, my family and yes my fellow hunters the right to enjoy the great outdoors on all Federal Lands.

If this makes me an outsider ? So be it !

When Ferderal Lands are gone it will be forever regardless of all the silly comments made by a few !

Somehow the thought of our rights as citizens can so easily be trampled on by the greed of a few and is just a vote away is indeed and should be, frightening to all of us!

10-Jan-17
I am not an expert as there are folks smarter than I on this topic. One thing I do know is if Bishop from Utah is involved and is for it, I am against it. When it comes to public/federal land, I trust that piece of cr@p as far as I could throw him.

10-Jan-17
Buc i, Said it great. Elkman and others as well.

Once land is gone, or off limits, it's never coming back. Ever. If an economic policy fails, it hurts, but can be turned around relatively quickly in the grand scheme of things. Land loss impacts my kids grand kids. Similarly, bad environmental policy could negatively impact my kids grand kids. I mean look at work a group like TU does with helping local organizations fund and orchestrate dam removal's and stream restoration. It helps the coldwater fisheries present, and the land's surrounding those coldwater systems. That work wouldnt have been needed if we knew over most of the past 200 years, what we know now. We learned, government has tried to help regulate business growth and environmental interaction as a result... it's had warts and sure as heck hasn't worked all the time... But in terms of regaining and sustaining a healthy environment for "us" to hunt, fish, hike, bike, or do whatever we want to in... It's been a success.

So circling back... Federal land sell off, it's a part of that same thing to me. I think you can be pro business and pro environment. It's possible... People are smart enough to make it work. Just need the constraints placed on them to be creative and figure it out.

10-Jan-17
So exactly where does it say that anyone is proposing a massive transfer of public lands back to the states? I did not see that stated anywhere. What is the house bill number?

11-Jan-17
Look at the bright side, at least nobody feels that their gun rights are being threatened.

11-Jan-17
Who needs gun rights if there is nowhere to use them...? Natural attrition through crime is a good population check, right?

11-Jan-17
HDE = Spot on.

11-Jan-17
HDE you can't camp on New Mexico state lands can you?

this is your lands I guess if you like it so much then give your house to the states.

11-Jan-17
dr. bob, you're taking this too serious and missing my point...

11-Jan-17
1. the point is you agree, 2. and you didn't answer my question 3. you can't take this to serious, its already passed the house.

11-Jan-17
1. Agree with what?

2. Some you can, some you can't.

3. There needs to be some kind of 'sarcasm' indicator for posts for those who are socially challenged...

11-Jan-17
WV mountaineer nailed it right on the head.

People in this country had best return to some good old fashioned conservative wisdom. And quit this nonsense .

11-Jan-17
In my youth, the idea of turning over Federal Land to state control was part of the Sagebrush Rebellion---an idea that was something to laugh at. Not any more. Like it or not, this has always been more of a Republican idea. Having said that, not all is lost---yet. Contact your Senator or Representative by email, letter, or a phone call letting them know you support our Federal Land stays under Federal (public) ownership. Being retired, I have visited our local Congressional "branch office" to personally voice my opposition to how my Representative voted (last week) to ease the rules for transferring Federal Land to state ownership. We'll see.

12-Jan-17
Just tell your reps to put a gag order on the UT reps. They're the ring leaders.

13-Jan-17
Well said buc I & will.

13-Jan-17
All can say is this is one time where I can honestly say this is scary, and way to real. Anybody that thinks this is just another scare tactic or conspiracy theory, had better wake up and start paying attention.

13-Jan-17
I'm not sure why this is a surprise to anyone. It's a plank of the Republican Party. They are very much intertwined with the American Lands Council.

It's not a scare tactic. It's reality. I would suggest that all of you get your Congressional Representatives on speed dial and let them know that you value your public lands, because as Will said they aren't coming back once they are gone.

13-Jan-17
Have there been any updates on this issue? Now that it has passed House what is the next step and how long do we have to wait to see if this thievery actually takes place? I thought Zinke was totally against this bill. Why would he sign this. Wolf in sheeps clothing?

13-Jan-17
Lungshot

The Senate still has to pass its own rule package. Randy Newberg (aka Big Fin) offered up an interesting course of action: write your Senators and ask them to reject the language adopted in the House Rules package and let them sort it out.

If the Senate adopts the same language as the House, it basically (I'm explaining in layman's terms here, please correct me if I'm wrong) would make it easier from an accounting/fiscal statement perspective to dispose of public lands.

As for Zinke, he still claims his opposition to PLT and says that this is not a contradiction to that. Time and actions will speak louder than words.

As to a wolf in sheep's clothing? He's a Republican. There has been no secret among the R's that the party platform directly supports the PLT movement.

Keep the heat on. Write well and write often, it is very important.

13-Jan-17
Thanks for the update JLS. I will definitely write, call and visit any and everyone I can in regards to this ridiculous bill.

16-Jan-17
Zinke scares me to death. Never liked him here...

• Sitka Gear