Contributors to this thread:
stoddardmaya 08-Jan-17
RojoGrande 10-Jan-17
stoddardmaya 12-Jan-17
wildwilderness 12-Jan-17
painless 12-Jan-17
Harvester 01-Feb-17
08-Jan-17
I have 19 points this year wondering about zone 851 in Colorado, or zone 76 ? I not waiting any longer

10-Jan-17
851 is all private except for Bosque Del Oso SWA. Assume this is where you are hunting. There's also a lot of gas wells and gas co. trucks running around in there. Not a lot of hunters so pressure won't be an issue. Success rate for 2015 was 17%. Tough hunt but some good bulls in there. That said, with 19 pp's, there are probably better options out here. 76 has a better success rate during archery season and is nearly all public land. Rojo

12-Jan-17
Thanks for the information, we might try for 61 with 19points NR? I will check into 76 as well!

12-Jan-17
For 61 last year 2 NR with 19 points drew the tag out of 36 total NR with 19 points. So about 5% .

76 took 13 pts to guarantee the tag.

If you want to hunt this year then go to 76. If you want 61 I would say you are 2-3yrs out especially if you are applying in a group. From what I have seen, the bull quality is similar in both units. 76 has more wilderness and higher elevation.

12-Jan-17
If you hunt the Bosque, do not have a spike camp. It will be destroyed by the trash bears that the state is dumping in there. I hunted it this past archery season and was literally stalked by the damn things. One day I took off my back pack and went to hang a tree stand 75 yards away. Came back 15 minutes later and my pack was missing , found it about 70 yards downhill and shredded. They also shredded my tent, water bottles, and everything else they could get their paws on. There was NO food in or around any of the stuff they destroyed, only my smelly human scent.

If you have some bear points, this would be an excellent place to hunt. Just throw out a PBJ sandwich and fill your tag in less than an hour. Someone needs to kill as many of the bastards as possible.

01-Feb-17
Lots of big bulls on the Bosque. Not so impressed with the bear hunting. I've hunted in there several times and we always get into huge bulls.

• Sitka Gear