SBH 10-Jan-17
Scooby-doo 10-Jan-17
x-man 10-Jan-17
GF 12-Jan-17
Fields 12-Jan-17
GF 13-Jan-17
BSBD 13-Jan-17
09-Jan-17
Hey guys! My son is going to be 6 in August. He has gone on numerous hunting trips with me and really enjoyed it. I am thinking about surprising him with a bow for his birthday. I am just looking to see what would be good for him since I don't really know much about bows. I heard this is some out there they start out at a pretty low poundage and can grow with him. any help on this would be great. Thank you!

09-Jan-17

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
Make it fun for them and they'll love it.
LINK's embedded Photo
Make it fun for them and they'll love it.
Several choices. I chose Hoyt ruckus for my daughter. It was 325$ with everything but arrows and release. At 7.5 she's pulling 28# without too much work.

09-Jan-17
Browning Micro Adrenaline would also be a good choice.

09-Jan-17
Diamond Atomic is a great choice for the little guys. You want to keep the mass weight down at that age to help develop good form and so that he enjoy shooting it. The atomic packs a good punch in a small package. My boy loved his until he was big enough to move on to something bigger.

10-Jan-17

Trad Guy's embedded Photo
Trad Guy's embedded Photo
A Bear Cruse lite draw wt adjust from 5# to 45#, draw length from 12"to 27" check it out , great bow for beginners and teenagers . Priced@ 299.00

10-Jan-17
2 recommendations and you can get both for the price of most compounds.

Velocity Race 4x4 compound it is 15 to 55 pounds and I believe 18" to 28" cost for the package is around &170.00 my sister in law has killed 3 bucks with hers

Maddog Pup longbow or recurve @ Maddog Archery. This is a custom traditional bow for kids and young adults cost is 115 to your door

10-Jan-17
I got my boy a Matthews Mission Craze. I have no complaints.

10-Jan-17
I bought a diamond atomic for my 5 yr old son for Christmas. He loves it so far. I did get a little carried away with trying to get him to shoot with a release. He said it pinched him so I just let him shoot with fingers the way I learned. Just working on good form now so who cares if he hits a target or not.

10-Jan-17
Mission also makes some bows with very wide adjustments

10-Jan-17
I have 4 young ones, what I have learned (as stated above) keep the mass weight down as much as possible. The Diamond is a fine bow, I have 2 of them however, they grow out of them QUICK, I prefer the bear apprentice, I have 5 of them, they are easier to adjust, very close mass weight to the diamond. I also have 1 mission craze, again nice but a little heavy. The Bear Apprentice is a old model, but if you get on that "other now forum "you can find them. They made a Apprentice, Apprentice 2, and 3, they are all the same, only thing to watch for is they made a 15-50lb, and a 20-60lb model.

10-Jan-17
My daughter shoots the apprentice 3. Put new threads on that bow and replace the accessories on it and you'll be surprised at the performance you can get. She's got some serious zip out of that little unit at 23" and 40#.

10-Jan-17
We now have 3 Matthews Mission Craze in our house (2 10 year olds, 1 7 year old) and one Diamond for the 4 year year that's been passed down multiple times from his older brothers. Once they hit 7 they are ready for the craze. It's a great bow, and will last them for as long as you want. Draw weight goes from 21lbs to 70lbs so they can shoot it for many years and hunt with it. The best thing about it is it's adjustable draw length without a bow press......these boys grow fast so that is a friendly feature.

10-Jan-17
Mission has several that will fit the bill. I have a buddy that shoots a Craze that was set up for his wife and he just cranked it up and changed the draw length and he shoots it well. Scooby

10-Jan-17
For a five, soon to be six year old. Please stay away from the Craze and similar bows. They are too heavy for a child that age.

12-Jan-17

GF's embedded Photo
Black Rhino M-48L - age 5
GF's embedded Photo
Black Rhino M-48L - age 5
GF's embedded Photo
Same boy, same bow, 6 years later
GF's embedded Photo
Same boy, same bow, 6 years later
GF's embedded Photo
Still working on the range estimation
GF's embedded Photo
Still working on the range estimation
GF's embedded Photo
Big brother just stepped up to a #42@28", so he's pulling about #29 here and that will increase to legal hunting weight as he grows... but he'll never outgrow it.
GF's embedded Photo
Big brother just stepped up to a #42@28", so he's pulling about #29 here and that will increase to legal hunting weight as he grows... but he'll never outgrow it.
So... Trad bows.

As you can see, a kid who is not overbowed in the first place can build good form and develop very fine accuracy... My little one is at the point where he's kind of struggling with trajectory, but he's putting them right down the line. Looks like his arrows are still a bit over-spined...

Big brother weighs about #90, so getting close to #30 is a pretty solid draw weight. He's not fighting it, though, and was keeping his shots in the dark blue part of the backstop out to about 30 yards... which - at about the same width as the 8-ring on a foam deer - ain't bad at all, considering this was his 3rd day with it. Shoulda seen the look on his face when he drilled the ball from 30.

12-Jan-17
wow........ Great job teaching form...........

13-Jan-17
If that was directed at me, I'll take it!

I'd say that every kid in this thread looks better than most adults..

13-Jan-17
My kid will be 12 in a few weeks and he has a t/d recurve. He started with a cheap fiberglass bow when he was 3 then a Maddog longbow at 6. He's shot a bunch of 3ds and beat compounders several times. I think he's ready for deer this year but probably can't pull enough weight with a recurve and he just hates compounds even though all of his friends have them. He likes guns though so maybe we'll try that.

Trad bows are nice and light, vary in draw length and don't require tools so they are nice for kids.

• Sitka Gear