wild1 10-Jan-17
OFFHNTN 10-Jan-17
Mad_Angler 10-Jan-17
Charlie Rehor 13-Jan-17
buckfevered 13-Jan-17
09-Jan-17

OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
I never thought he (we) would be able to pull it off in a pop-up blind, but with only one day left in the season my 10 year old son, Hunter, shot this nice doe Saturday. It couldn't have worked out any better as we luckily saw her coming our way only 10 minutes after climbing into the blind and with plenty of time to get ready. It was -4 when we left the truck so I had him all equipped with toe warmers, hand warmers, my wife's heated vest, in my warm bag, and had just cranked up the buddy heater. Before hand, we had practiced how he would stand and just let the warm bag fall off his shoulders to his feet, and how he would need to get in position early because the crunchy snow wouldn't allow for him to move a muscle.........at all, period. I held the grip of his bow with my bare hand for several minutes trying to keep it warm till she was in range. Finally he motioned for me to hand him his bow as he could see her but I couldn't, he drew, I leaned over to make sure she was in a good position and watch the shot.......and he absolutely pin wheeled her at 12 yards! A double lung pass thru and watched her go down after maybe 70 yards! How we got away with that I have no idea.......but what a fun night in the blind! It had got to be a long season for Hunter as he had waited for a good buck to come along. He ended up missing one earlier this year, then last weekend we lost a doe that I thought he hit really well, so with only one day left we were both thrilled to be able to pull this off! Yeh........."just a doe".........my @ss. :)

09-Jan-17

OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
OFFHNTN's embedded Photo

09-Jan-17
Wow that's a hefty one. Congrats to your son!

09-Jan-17
That is terrific! Congratulations to both of you.

09-Jan-17
Fantastic John! Congrats to you and your boy! He's a real trooper out there in this weather we've been having. It's all worth it when it pays off! Nice work!

09-Jan-17
That's what it's all about there! Way to go Hunter! I like that name!!! Hunt

09-Jan-17
Awesome job and congrats to you both!!!

09-Jan-17
Very cool. Congrats.

09-Jan-17
That's a big one. Congrats to you & your son.

09-Jan-17
hey man, congrats!! was it xbow? cant tell from the pics..

my daughter is about to go to a vertical bow from the xbow and wanted to see what setup you used...

thanks

09-Jan-17
Pyrannah - No, it's a compound. He's a small kid and shoots a Hoyt Ignite set at 21" draw and 35lb draw weight (which is the min. here in ND). I have him shooting Easton Axis arrows and 100 grain 2 blade Magnus Stingers. Heavy arrows, but I like it that way, and have kept his shots inside 20 yards the last couple of years. Thanks guys for the nice comments.

09-Jan-17
Fantastic job Hunter ( my son's name too)! Way to go John...That's a big girl right there!! Getting out there in those temps shows your drive...My hat is off to you both!

09-Jan-17
That's big looking doe. Congrats to your son!

09-Jan-17
Way to set it up to make it happen Dad, and congrats to little Hunter with icewater in his veins!

09-Jan-17
Awesome job by both of you! Something both of you will always remember for sure!

09-Jan-17
Congrats and a perfect shot to boot!

09-Jan-17
Man, That's awesome!!!! Way to go!

09-Jan-17
NICE!!!

09-Jan-17
In those temps his face is going to freeze that way. Not a bad thing. Congrats.

09-Jan-17
Thanks! Always enjoy reading stuff like this. Ed

09-Jan-17
Congrats Hunter!!!! Wohooooo!!! You are tougher than most men twice your age!!!

Nicely done John! It's all about setting our kids up to win!!!

Mark

09-Jan-17
That's awesome

09-Jan-17
Great job Hunter and Dad!

09-Jan-17
Good job Hunter! Congratulations! You didn't make the old man drag that deer didja?

09-Jan-17
Fantastic and such a confidence builder for the kid. Those steaks should taste extra special.

09-Jan-17
Just a doe? Naaah! Fantastic for both of you! looks like a dandy and his smile erases the neg. 4 degrees!

09-Jan-17
Congrats to Hunter! It was a good night.

Quite the guide. No one keeps my bow handle warm! Lol!

And not one mosquito bite.

10-Jan-17
So cool. I can't wait till my daughter is old enough to hunt

10-Jan-17
Very cool

Congrats to the young man.

Good luck, Robb

10-Jan-17
out freaking standing, Hunter and dad!

10-Jan-17
Very nice! Good to see our future, getting it done. Congratulations!

10-Jan-17
Nice job! Congratulations to your son and you.

10-Jan-17
That's so cool!! I can only imagine how great that felt for both of you. Congrats to you and your boy!

10-Jan-17
Congrats! You will never forget that hunt thanks for posting the adventure.

10-Jan-17
What a great memory that will be. Congrats!

10-Jan-17
Way to stick with it. That's what it takes. Huge congrats to both of you on a job well done.

10-Jan-17
Great job!

10-Jan-17
Well done!! Great experience(s) and priceless memories, and a great picture too!

10-Jan-17
Gonna show him all these great comments and keep that smile on his face for a little longer. And no, he didn't drag it or gut it.......as a matter of fact, as soon as he took a couple pictures he jumped in the truck and cranked up the heat!

10-Jan-17
Great story. Thanks for sharing...

13-Jan-17
That's terrific! Many more hunts together! Enjoy every moment! C

13-Jan-17
Excellent and a big congrats to both of you! Nothing like sitting with them when they get it done. Congrats to you, dad, for figuring out a way to get out there despite the harsh conditions. You'll remember that hunt for many, many year's.

• Sitka Gear