Brotsky 17-Jan-17
APauls 17-Jan-17
Ermine 17-Jan-17
PAbowhunter1064 17-Jan-17
wkochevar 17-Jan-17
Davy C 17-Jan-17
spike78 17-Jan-17
13-Jan-17
Specifically Slick Trick, Ramcat and Swacker for releasing new mechanical broadheads. I have nothing against mechanical broadheads, I have used them and still do in some circumstance. What disappoints me is the how manufactures seem only interested in making a buck and not turning out a product they believe in. I thought the whole idea behind the Slick Trick and Ramcat broadhead line was that they achieved the accuracy and cutting of a mechanical in a fixed blade format. Do they not believe in their own products? Also I see Swhacker came out with a new over the top opening mechanical. Come on we all know that is no good, they have to open inside the animal because we've all watched the Schwacker informercials on youtube that tell us so. I realize that companies have to compete but It turns me off as a consumer (I never really thought the two cam bow was dead). I realize that I am not like most consumers but I think a lot of manufactures don't realize that as they diversify they lose their "brand" and become just another name on the package.

13-Jan-17
At least purchase is still optional:)

13-Jan-17
I guess that's the point, for me I'd rather purchase a product from a manufacture that thinks there product is the best. Wondering if anyone else thinks that way. Probably not.

13-Jan-17
I guess it doesn't really bother me. I mean if Slick Trick wants to do a mechanical to satisfy customer base, they should make a mechanical. It is a business decision for them that really doesn't involve me. If I don't like their mechanical, I won't buy it. That simple...

13-Jan-17
Agreed, but at the same time its a business move and when 50%+ (guess) people are seeking mech bh's that puts a huge strain on the overall fixed market considering the increasing options.

Despite how loyal you, the customer, are to a brand, I assure you they are not as loyal in return (a few exceptions exist). As long as their new products do not hinder their past products I'm good with it. Furthermore stepping into the mechanical realm may save a company and allow them to continue to cater to the minority.

13-Jan-17
I see your point but I also think it's not much different than slicktrick or any other company manufacturing different weights or size cuts of their flagship broadhead. Some guys like an 85 gr 1" cut others like an 1 1/4 cut 150 grain head and yet others like a gobbler guillotine to shoot at deer. I see nothing wrong with expanding their consumer base as long as they keep their standards on their previous heads.

13-Jan-17
Consumers drive whats on the market. Explaining the virtues of fixed blades or certain mechanical designs is great, but if the sound of customers swiping their credit cards in the competitors machine is drowning out your preaching, it may be time to retool.

I am no fan of mechanicals but deciding whats best for me to hunt with personally, is a lot different than deciding what products are best for a broadhead company to be successful.

If I owned a broadhead company and only sold what I believe is the best design choice, the company would be limited to a very tiny market share. There are always balances between whats in demand, what you are confident in, what you want your brand to stand for, cost, quality, etc..

13-Jan-17
Glunt x2

13-Jan-17
If my Slick Trick results were anywhere near that of my Spitfire results, I'd still use them.

13-Jan-17
"If my Slick Trick results were anywhere near that of my Spitfire results, I'd still use them."

Case in point. Slick could very well sway a customer such as WBob back to try their new mechanical. After all, new is always fun.

13-Jan-17
If there really was a " best head" that was as obvious as some claim, then that would be the only head still being sold.

I think some folks just get butt hurt cause they feel their choice is being slighted some how.

Don't like it, don't buy. If you are right and others agree, it will go away. If I see how fickle consumers are, it's little wonder manufactures have to keep a lot of options open.

13-Jan-17
The slick trick nuke was out just a few years ago..... this is not their 1st time offering expandables..... So offering one again should not be a surprise to anyone.

13-Jan-17
They are ALL making a product that they believe in......MONEY ! When I was a contractor, I took a lot of pride in my dirt work, but the bottom line was still the money. That's what we all work for, and broadhead manufacturers are no different. They know that some folks are gonna use mechs and they want in on it. Can't say as I blame them.

13-Jan-17
I shoot ST at all four legged critters, but I exclusively use mechanicals for turkey hunting. I'm not too picky generally, whatever trips my trigger in the shop as long as it makes a BIG hole. ST has been excellent to me over the years on big game, and now that they are producing a MB then it makes my turkey choice simple. I'll shoot the new ST mech this year at turkeys.

Look at it this way: I like the Packers. I love watching Aaron Rodgers and the Packers score points through the air. If they start scoring by running the ball I'm not going to start liking the Bears.

13-Jan-17
Brotsky...Though I LOVE your analogy....This Viking fan HATES the Packers. :) The way your year started out, I thought most Packers fans were gonna jump ship! Roger's sure "righted" that ship though...

13-Jan-17
"What disappoints me is the how manufactures seem only interested in making a buck"

Really, that is the main reason companies are in business.

13-Jan-17
People, mankind...... they have a tendency to only see things as it relates to them personally and what they like and dislike. One of the most common is viewing things through what their hobby or passion is. They sacrifice for it, work hard at it for little return but for the satisfaction.

They then set those same standards for those they feel are "with" them in that pursuit. Bow shops are a classic.... some take an outlook or attitude that they should be run more along the lines as how they see their passion, like helping out a friend...... i.e. doing lots of "free" work and selling things to them at little to no profit...... and not what someone does to put food on the table and a roof over their heads.

Same would apply to a broadhead manufacturer. Nothing unethical at all in what they are doing here, simply trying to broaden their customer base..... and invested in it hoping to make a return on that investment. Folks need to step back and see the whole picture.... as in "what do YOU do for a living?" And what standards and/or principles, even efforts do YOU apply to that? Some are static..... others looking for dynamic and wanting to step up their game....

13-Jan-17
kota...unfortunately we've gotten all to used to the Packers and their slow starts over the past few years! The Vikings will get it figured out under Zimmer, too much talent and too good of a coach!

13-Jan-17
How do you know they don't believe in their new product? did the say they did not believe in it when they released it?

13-Jan-17
Hate to break it to you but if a company wants to stick around...they have to make a buck. if they don't make a buck the owner may lose his house and a lot of people that have invested time with them lose their jobs. If the consumer wants something else, they want something else, and it is the job of the business to make sure they change if needed in order to keep everyone's bills paid.

I don't get the people that think profits are evil. They are necessary. I'm not saying Davy C is one of those but there are many. If the company you are working for doesn't make a profit this year, and the next year and probably the year after that, you won't have a job. And same with aaaaall the rest of the businesses out there. That is the job of management - to keep it in the black. So if management of slick trick and whoever else says: "guess what guys - producing the same old as much as we like it isn't going to pay the bills," then it's time to make a change, whether you like it or not.

As Charlie says, purchasing is optional and it doesn't look like they're cutting any of their old lineup out, so not sure what's to be upset about.

13-Jan-17
I think they believe in their new product... to gain more business. More business is better for business and the bottom line.

Just having all these choices and offerings is pretty good IMO, otherwise we would be bored discussing just a few select products.

13-Jan-17
+1 TD and APauls.

Either change with the times, or the times will leave you behind.

Nobody's twisting your arm to buy these new products. Unless the quality of the current products suffer at the expense of the new, you're bitchin' 'bout nuthin, IMO.

13-Jan-17
When a company has a good reputation, they seldom put out garbage that will tarnish that rep.

17-Jan-17
I found this video on Slick Trick's new mechanical, the Raptor Trick. Looks interesting to me, and will probably buy a pack to try out. What doesn't make sense to me though, is why the o-ring would be adjustable? Wouldn't it make more sense to always have it set at the easiest point to open, regardless if your shooting a 40 lb. bow or a 80 lb. bow. If someone can explain this, please enlighten me.

(There are two short clips on YouTube, that I've tried to attach to my post, but I keep getting an "please match the requested format" error. If anyone is interested, just search Raptor Trick on YouTube.)

17-Jan-17
Adjustable o rings are for extremely light weight bows all the way up to crossbows. Roll back for light weight bows and forward for crossbows. Hope that helps! C

17-Jan-17
Thanks for your responses, Charlie and Pat!

I guess what I'm trying to comprehend is, if I'm a guy shooting an 80 lb. bow, is it necessary to have more tension on the blades during arrow flight? I can see this being accomplished by positioning the o-ring towards the front of the ferrule, but if not, why wouldn't you want it positioned at the easiest spot of deployment, which would be towards the rear of the head?

Of all the low KE mechanicals I've looked at before, the biggest change is blade angle, not the position of the blade retention system. I'm probably overthinking this, but I appreciate the replies...

17-Jan-17
PA, I'm assuming the initial acceleration of launch is the driving factor here. That acceleration being more severe out of an 80# bow than a 40# bow would require a more robust retention setting. Just my opinion but I'm no physicist.

17-Jan-17
Maybe for shoot through mesh as well.

17-Jan-17
Ramcats fly amazing like they are! I don't know why they would need a mechanical?

17-Jan-17
Brotsky - That's what I'm thinking, too. (And I'm certainly no physicist, either! ;-)

APauls - You bring up a good point...I didn't even consider the mesh of a blind!

I'll buy a pack and give em' a shot...this is the time of year I get bored, and start playing around with my setup. Thank you for the input!

17-Jan-17
Just because the Big Mac was the #1 burger in the country for a while, doesn't mean the Quarter Pounder wasn't a good idea..... Get it?

17-Jan-17
I'd say it more like if Wendy's started using frozen patties or Burger King quit flame broiling. Its all marketing.

17-Jan-17
I'm not a mech shooter but I think it looks like a decent head. It looks like it could bend easy but it is steel and not aluminum like others. It's possible for me to give them a shot after some reviews.

• Sitka Gear