WapitiBob 06-Aug-17
osage 06-Aug-17
Barrera 06-Aug-17
Barrera 06-Aug-17
mrelite 06-Aug-17
78cj5 06-Aug-17
Barrera 06-Aug-17
14-Jan-17
I am a Newby in NM. I have Applied for elk tags for two years and have struck out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated I must be doing something wrong. I also applied for deer tags and no luck.

14-Jan-17
Good luck really tough as a NR. Been applying for 10 yrs never drawn

14-Jan-17
Put in for units that no one wants to hunt. Might have no animals, but it's a tag.

14-Jan-17
If you come up with anything, let all of us know.

14-Jan-17
All depends on where you're applying and the order of your choices. If you're trying to draw tags in the top units like the Gila you may never draw a tag. I got lucky and drew the Valle Vidal my first year applying. That was 2011. I haven't drawn a tag since.

14-Jan-17
The odds for drawing any given unit are generally under 5%. It's tough to draw in NM. You can get an outfitter and go in the outfitter pool and the odds are slightly better. There are outfitters that give a discounted hunt and perform minimum bare-bones services to be law-compliant with the idea that they get some $ and you just bought your way into the outfitter pool which often times has 50-80% better odds of drawing.

14-Jan-17
I second if you figure it out, let us know. I have only drawn once since 2010.

14-Jan-17
If I tell you what do I win?

15-Jan-17
I'm a resident and can't draw a tag! I've had two archery deer tags in 16 years. I get to hunt elk about every 5 years or so.

15-Jan-17
Don't apply for about 15 years and save the application fees for a landowner tag? I love Elk hunting in NM but have only been able to draw 2 tags in 20 years. I hate to do it...but I find myself justifying landowner tag purchase in NM and CO. Have not bought one yet but decent tags can be purchased for about 3000-4000. I figure it's not bad if I spread over a couple years.

I have decided my health with fail long before my Elk hunting passion.

15-Jan-17
What are your chosen units butcher?

It can be done, just don't expect to hunt 6b, 16's, 34, 36, 13, or 15 every year.

15-Jan-17
Totally irrelevant as far as excluding the good units in order to draw. I know people who draw good units every year...repetitively.

15-Jan-17
Unfortunately NM handed over a chunk of nonres public draw tags to landowners/outfitters a few years back. If you can't draw tags as a nonres contact the NMG&F and complain! Not everyone can afford expensive landowner tags or to hire an outfitter! Landowners/outfitters already had a chunk of tags but then they got more. I pulled the plug on applying in NM after they did that!

15-Jan-17
There is another thread on the NM forum about that...

15-Jan-17
"Totally irrelevant as far as excluding the good units in order to draw. I know people who draw good units every year...repetitively."

Irrelevant? Hardly. Stats are stats whether you like them or not, residents and NR alike. I can go to the local gun shop and find numerous residents who haven't drawn in over 10yrs applying for 34 tags. Fact.

Furthermore, exponentially more unsuccessful applicants than successful in highly desirable units. Again, you cannot refute the facts.

15-Jan-17
I drew my "second choice" unit 13 muzzleloader tag two years in a row a few years back. (FIrst choice was archery) Didn't draw 10 years previous and haven't drawn 5 years since. I was in the "outfitter's pool" at the time. Most outfitters will do the app for you if you commit to hunting with them if drawn.

15-Jan-17
You're right ohio, you can't refute the facts, some people can draw and others can't. Are you saying they are the entitled elite?

Complete waste to not put in for good hunts just because the draw stats read what they do. Almost like saying you can't do something because your a certain race or gender.

Why limit yourself...?

15-Jan-17
No magic in drawing a tag, the answer is: Be Lucky :)

If your question was how to get a tag in NM, its the same as everything else in the world, BUY IT.

15-Jan-17
The reason NM is tough to draw is because of how they do the draw.

15-Jan-17
"Tough to draw" is a relative term. The Gila units are "tougher" to draw than some Northern units but you need to research multiple areas and put in to draw with 1st choice being "tougher" to draw units and put "easier" to draw units as an 3rd choice. It's possible to draw a Gila unit 2 years in a row but it's highly unlikely. It took me 9 years to draw the Gila, and I always list as first option.

Good luck,

DJ

15-Jan-17
All western states are getting tough to draw!! Too many hunters I guess

15-Jan-17
The only reason it is tough is because there are so many more applicants than tags. True lottery, somebody is going to win and most will lose.

15-Jan-17
I drew my first year (2008) and haven't tried since. I prefer a points system but at least you have a chance at drawing a great tag every year.

15-Jan-17
Ive drawn half of my app for elk and more than that for deer as a nr. You cant apply for 16a 16d and 34 in that order and expect to draw more often than every 15 years or so. its tough to draw any elk tag but I would rather deal with that than the point creep, preference pt crap and outrageous license fees of other states. At least u get the hunting license fee back every year in nm

15-Jan-17
Tough to draw is not a relative term, it applies across the board no matter what as every unit and hunt has the same process applied to it. The only reason why some units appear to be easier to draw is because: 1) there are more permits available and 2) the unit may be less desirable, so less applicants for it.

The way NM does it, your app has to have a low enough number assigned during the shuffle to have it looked at within the scope of how many permits are available for a species and then the hunt(s) you actually apply for. This very topic has been cussed and discussed numerous times. NM needs to go back to how they did it with looking at 1st choices first, then worry about 2nd and 3rd after the first go-round is done.

Either that, or go back to doing the draw by unit.

16-Jan-17
I know how the game is played Ohio. Some of my choices are HD units and others are not. Still no tag. One unit in particular has always been a back up unit but even that one is popular now. I was lucky in 2013 and drew the Valle Vidal second hunt on my second choice! It doesn't really matter how your choices go, it matters when your application is randomly selected. Yes, I know guys that have drawn good gila tags year after year. I know some that have drawn in one of the northern units year after year.

I'm just not that lucky with deer and elk tags. I've drawn Oryx three times and Ibex twice. I know some guys that haven't drawn oryx in over 20 years! NM needs to go back to weapon specific for the whole application.

16-Jan-17
to hell with NM, you can hunt elk every year in other states and the hunting is better. WY, CO etc.

16-Jan-17
ohio - you have got to quit walking around with chip on your shoulder.

Not impressed...

16-Jan-17
If people are drawing tags every year in tough-to-draw units then they are lucky.

One thing to keep in mind, is that when you see most NM draw odds, they are based on the first choice applications, when in reality they're actually much lower than they are given the way NM holds the draw. There's no real way to know what the true odds are because of this.

16-Jan-17
Take a look at how many nonres tags are issued in the public draw. Then look at how many landowner/outfitter tags are issued. Landowners/outfitters get a significant chunk of tags. The remaining few go in the nonres public draw pool. Could this possibly be why it's getting tougher and tougher to draw nonres tags in NM?

16-Jan-17
"There is no chip, but when people start spewing crap I'll call it. Likewise call me on it, I'm not here to impress you. Your statement about elitist is completely off base and in left field, how why and where did that come from? Don't contradict yourself in the same thread then act like you're too good to support your claims."

oh goody, once again I've ruffled your feathers...

16-Jan-17
If the order in which you put your choices matters, then explain how I drew a 2nd hunt Valle Vidal with my 2nd choice? My first choice was 6a. Valle Vidal is a HD once in a lifetime hunt. Are you saying that someone will never draw a premium hunt on their 2nd-4th choices? Odds are lower but it does happen and often.

Let's say the unit you put in for on your 1st has 150 tags available. Your app comes up as 200 and everyone ahead of you drew your 1st choice. You won't draw your 1st but you have a dang good chance on your 2nd and 3rd. Not gospel truth but a pretty good example. I know not all 199 ahead of you all have the same 1st choice. Just an example of how you can draw an HD hunt with it as a 2nd choice.

16-Jan-17
I hunted with a DR. a few years back that drew a 16D tag on his very first try. I was on my third elk hunt. I've had to buy a landowner tag for every hunt. I still have not drawn a MN tag four years later.

16-Jan-17
Tough to draw IS a very relative term, even if we are only discussing NM.

DJ

16-Jan-17
I put in for 6c last year as a first choice and didn't draw it.

18-Jan-17
Jims,

We are working on getting the EPlus system tweaked to put more tags in the public draw. The LO program needs some definite overhaul. Your take on Landowner/Outfitter needs some educating yourself to fully understand the advantages and disadvantages of these programs.

I lay the blame for inaction by the NMDGF directly on the steps of the NMWF and many of the hunters they have propagandized on there mission to totally do away with the EPlus as well as the APlus. They advocate for a straight 90/10 split. They advocate for unfettered access to and through private property both hunting and fishing. The Dept. is unwilling to open the rule on overhauling the LO system because of the can of worms it will open. What is needed is some statewide meetings to bring hunters together to flesh out the needed changes and work together to advocate and make needed changes.

06-Aug-17
I would like to express my opinion on the threads I have been reading. I agree with all that is said, what I see is that the rules need changing, there is one problem. Are we in a position to affect changes? I am not ! I did not know or heard of the elk federation, I will start with myself tomorrow I will join. I am an old man that is afraid to speak out so that means that I must have or obtain a LOBBIST TO SPEAK FOR ME. We can not leave this matters to our politicians.

06-Aug-17
I was lucky drew first choice first two times applying and have not drawn since. P. S. I would gladly pay $3k every year for 16 LO voucher!

06-Aug-17
Everybody that doesn't draw wants to change the rules, then change them again, and again.

06-Aug-17
Well at least NM refunds just about all of the app fees. Unlike Nevada and others who keep the license fee, which you cannot use anyway without a tag. But like some of you have said : 3% of nothing is still nothing.

06-Aug-17
There's definitely ways to improve your odds but be willing for hard work to get to some good hunting grounds. I've drawn elk 5 out of the last 6 years. Not saying what units cause everyone would get jealous lol. Deer not so good of draws yet but I hunt them every year with leftovers. ?? Pick a not so popular unit and find a honey hole then it becomes your favorite place to hunt for sure. Good luck in the future and start doing some research in some not so popular units for your 2nd and 3rd choices. The animals are there just need to spend lots of time researching units, maps, and whatever access means you have. Most of our elk pack out take 2 days with 2 people.

06-Aug-17
Butcherboy don't put 6c as your first it's not a 1st Choice unit. Look into unit 48 as a 2nd or 3rd choice and you will prob get a elk tag. Plenty of elk just have to deal with the limited access and hunt around great private land area. Be willing/ready to put in the leg work and you'll get your shot at a bull in 2018.

06-Aug-17
LOL great thread..........

06-Aug-17
Interesting thread. What most don't realize for elk hunting there are about 22,000 elk draw tags. That is for rifle, archery, and muzzle loader. There are about 73,000 first choice applicants for all those hunts. So about 30% get to go elk hunting. 3 out of 10 get drawn. I didn't break down how applicants were drawn , I just figured it would be close enough for 1st applicants to have a 2nd and 3rd choice.

The reason I know this is reading the June Game Commissions comments about adding crossbows to archery. I don't really care about crossbows, let those who hunt choose how they want to hunt, but some are misguided that youth and women will have a better chance to go hunting if crossbows are legal for archery without increasing hunting tags. Crossbows are now legal for rifle (any legal weapon) and muzzle loader hunts. All they are going to do is have more applicants for the same number of tags. Making drawing even harder for everybody.

06-Aug-17
Ya it will definitely have a negative impact on draw odds if they allow crossbows. Gees hope that doesn't happen. Someone higher up prob making a new crossbow rule to benefit themselves lol.

• Sitka Gear