wilhille 20-Jan-17
stick slinger 20-Jan-17
Glunt@work 20-Jan-17
IdyllwildArcher 20-Jan-17
willliamtell 20-Jan-17
GaryB@Home 20-Jan-17
willliamtell 21-Jan-17
15-Jan-17
Most of us own a pair of Binos, are yours properly focused? You may respond with of course, I simply focus the the center focus wheel! This is how most do this but there's a step some may be missing! Here's something to consider!

When comparing Binos or Focusing your own pair, first put them up to your eyes, now close right eye & leave left eye open, use focus wheel in center of bino & focus until left eye is perfectly clear. Once done close left eye & open your right eye & now focus that eye with your Diopter focus wheel. Some are located on the eye piece itself & others may be near the center focus wheel but this focus only effects your right eye piece. When done lock in the Diopter focus wheel so it doesn't move. With this done you can now use your center focus wheel as needed at varying distances! It's very important that your LEFT eye is focused first NOT your right eye!

Your center focus wheel will focus both eyes as best as is possible once the above step is done. The Diopter wheel only focuses your right eye this is why this is such an important step to get the most out of any Bino! When comparing Binos in Store this focusing of both eyes first before making comparisons is the only real way to see which bino is best for you or your budget!

Doing this can reduce or eliminate eye strain, how? When Binos are not properly focused per eye one of your eyes may be trying to constantly focus while the other is OK. Your brain does this focusing automatically for anything we may be looking at. Focus your binos properly & it can make glassing much more enjoyable & clear!

ElkNut1

15-Jan-17
While the diopter on most binos will adjust the right eye, I once had a goofy pair that adjusted the left eye.

15-Jan-17
Yup, I was going to say the same as Gary. You have to check the bino as some are different. Scooby

15-Jan-17
Very unusual for sure, I've not seen a bino focus that way, thanks! In any event make sure that each eye is focused separately for initial use!

ElkNut1

15-Jan-17
Elknut, you are 100% correct on the correct way to set up binoculars. A lot of hunters don't then complain that the bios are junk. A little knowledge can really make your life easier!

15-Jan-17
I use electrical tape over my Diopter focus wheel to ensure that correct adjustment is not lost when binos may get knocked around. Bios should be sighted in on an object at about a 100 yd. distance. I always like to use printed material as a target to ensure the most defined clarity focus.

15-Jan-17
I prefer using an eye patch vs closing one eye then the other. When I close one eye for any length of time, it seems to stay a little fuzzy for a bit after opening it. Also use the eye patch when using a spotting scope as well.

Thanks for the info elknut!

15-Jan-17
Thanks!

Yes I use an eye patch when using a spotter for any length of time or I too get that eye strain while half winked on one eye! (grin) Never tried it with binos!

ElkNut1

15-Jan-17
Generally new binos come with covers for the front lenses. I first take only the left one off and focus with my eyes relaxed and adjust the center focus. Then cover the left lens and remove the right cover and adjust the right lens. Many ways to do the same thing but unless my eyes are relaxed, I can't get the right focus.

15-Jan-17
yup electrical tape on the diopter, for sure, lol!

16-Jan-17

16-Jan-17
My diopter on my Razors pull out on my eye piece an 1/8" to adjust & then it's pushed back in & is locked in that spot so it cannot move, no tape here! (grin)

ElkNut1

19-Jan-17
Thanks for the great tip Elk Nut!

19-Jan-17
Elk Nut thanks for making everyone aware of the scam I've been running for years.. You know how many Swarovski binos I've bought for pennies on the dollar because the user thought they were broke? In all seriousness there are a ton of people that didn't realize that they had a diopter wheel. I'm sure this was eye opening to a few people. Nice work

DJ

19-Jan-17
I have a tough situation in that my glasses give me 20/12 vision, but I prefer to glass with my glasses off if I'm sitting in one place glassing. That leaves me with the problem of out of focus glass if I have the glasses tuned for one and switch to the other as my eyes without glasses are very uneven.

What I've done is two things to get around it. One, if my binos are for one and I quickly switch, I just have to look with one eye. The better fix, is to memorize where the adjustment needs to be for each. I can make the adjustment now without even looking at the binos. Fortunately, the binos have +/- marks on the single eye adjustment so I just move it back and forth.

It's still a PIA, but fortunately, with glasses is dead center and that's easy. I really only have to memorize where my binos need to be without glasses and that's easy to adjust to when you're sitting down to glass. For active hunting, I just keep my glasses on.

I really want to get Lasik, but they only get your eyes to 20/20. I still think I'd use my glasses for hunting because I can get 20/12 vision which I feel aids hunting.

For me, it makes a huge difference doing the adjustment Paul recommends above.

20-Jan-17
Getting a great pair of glass can be wasted without knowing how to optimize and customize the focus. easily done and often overlooked.

20-Jan-17
Does it matter which order you do each eye? Mine came with instructions (and I actually read them!), but they said do the right eye/diopter first, then the left eye and center wheel.

20-Jan-17
Bob in NH, you brought up what I've been thinking all along...apparently there's a whole bunch of people that don't bother to read the instructions on how to focus binocs. They've come with every set I've ever bought.

Must be that "guy thing" that women are always complaining about! lol!

20-Jan-17
Just bought a pair of vortex for my girlfriend....... the instructions read exactly as op.

20-Jan-17
I've always done right eye first as well. Does it have anything to do with eye dominance?

20-Jan-17
I once sent a pair back for warranty because they wouldn't focus right. Turns out they were left diopter. Embarrassing part was that I was a dealer for them.

20-Jan-17
It has nothing to do with dominant eye and everything to do with only one side being able to be adjusted in 2 different ways.

20-Jan-17
Does anyone else occasionally change the diopter? Every once in a while one eye goes to a different focal length for a while. I just pop out the diopter adjuster and whichever eye it changes is the one for that wheel. Also, I've found one key to successful eye-eye focusing is do it fast. Otherwise your eye's lens tried to overcome what the bino is doing. And focusing on something that has a clean edge or edges (tree trunk, rock face) also helps dial it in quickly. I never mess with it in really low light - everything seems fuzzy and semi- out of focus then, and all you do is really mess up the focus. And if things seem vague, check all four lenses before changing any dial - they have a way of fogging up and fooling you - is it the focus or the mist?

20-Jan-17
It just doesn't make any sense to adjust the diopter first.

21-Jan-17
Definitely nondiopter first

• Sitka Gear