Bou'bound 17-Jan-17
EIStone 20-Jan-17
lawdy 20-Jan-17
lawdy 21-Jan-17
Julius K 22-Jan-17
brantman 22-Jan-17
rookie 22-Jan-17
15-Jan-17
Ok i am new here and i am sure this has been covered but humor me. I am looking to go on a bear hunt in Maine and i have looked at the outfitters rating page. Just wondering if any of you guys would recommend some good places to hunt with. The wife and i are going to take vaction and go up the east coast and i want to spend a week hunting bear she would be a none hunter. So many places to chose from its a little overwhelming! I have never hunted bear but have really gotten the bug lately!

15-Jan-17
I'm not going to bother looking it up but the last I knew, Maine only had a fall season on Bears. So if you want a bear with real nice coat, I would choose a spring hunt. you can drive over the border into New Brunswick and get good bear hunting int he spring

15-Jan-17
I'm with BB on this. Cross the border into New Brunswick.... scenery is off the hook. I'd recommend Dave at TSI (BOWSITE SPONSOR) or possibly PY Guides (Pierre Roy) in the Miramichi - Bathurst area. Both are family oriented operations with double occupancy rooms. My preference for quality of bears, Condition of equipment and ease of traveling to the lodge would be TSI.

15-Jan-17
Thanks guys took your advice milnrick i called TSI seems like a hell of a deal.

15-Jan-17
When are you headed up?

15-Jan-17
Mcadam i am pretty open on that.

15-Jan-17
Suggest mid - late June. Weather typically nice and from our experience the bigger boars are extremely active.

16-Jan-17
I'm going June 18-24 , I think there's a spot or two open. That's gonna be great week with rutting action

16-Jan-17
Where are you going Mcadam send me some info

16-Jan-17
bring a thermacell !!

16-Jan-17
Rookie, every now and then someone will post and ask about Bear Hunts in Maine. Inevitably they get lots of suggestions about going to Canada. If you want to go to Maine, go to Maine. if you are open to both, New Brunswick is just a bit longer drive. A couple of things to keep in mind: Except for some Indians reservations, Maine is fall only. Average size of bear killed is likely to be higher in New Brunswick. Lots of bears in both places but you have to pass on the small ones to kill a big one. New Brunswick, and some other provinces have Spring and Fall, and allow 2 bears. If you have EVER been arrested you may have trouble entering Canada. Otherwise, bring a passport and the border crossings are usually very simple and quick. Your money stays in the USA if you hunt Maine. You can't take a handgun to Canada, and if you're bringing in a rifle will have to fill out some simple paperwork.

I have hunted both, and likely will hunt both again. I think the costs are pretty similar, and the fishing is great in both places. Heck in some places in New Brunswick you are probably hunting the same bears, they don't respects the borders.

There are a large number of guides on Bowsite who do a great job, more in New Brunswick than Maine for sure. Just figure out what you want, ask a lot of questions and check references. Bears are fun, and delicious.

And as Steve mentioned, definitely bring a thermocell or 3.

17-Jan-17
Go into new Brunswick unless you want a dog hunt vs. bait.

20-Jan-17
Foggy Mountain Guide Service, Bangor, Maine

20-Jan-17
If you want a hound hunt in the fall, Ron Losier in Errol, NH has great hounds for both bear and cats. Tom Parker in Milan, NH is another good houndsman.

21-Jan-17
It is Rick Losier, not Ron. Talked with him today. He runs in NH, Maine, and Canada.

22-Jan-17
There are some decent options here in Maine, send me a pm if you'd like my opinion.

22-Jan-17

brantman  's embedded Photo
brantman  's embedded Photo
eastern ridge outfitters in maine Josh is a great guy will put you on. went there two years ago I was the only bowhunter but did quite well

22-Jan-17
brantman thats a nice looking bear!! Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys i really appreciate it. I know we have decided to rent a vehicle and drive. That way the wife and i can see some sights and enjoy the trip and time together. 28 hours to most places in NB so main or NB its a two day trip minimum for us probably three. Keep the ideas and suggestions coming guys!

• Sitka Gear