Matt 16-Jan-17
Ermine 16-Jan-17
Grunt-N-Gobble 16-Jan-17
Trial153 16-Jan-17
Trial153 16-Jan-17
RogBow 27-Jan-17
nijimasu 29-Jan-17
15-Jan-17
Has anyone verified the straightness and weight tolerance of the hunting shafts?

15-Jan-17
Verified as in questioning the design engineers and quality control process?

15-Jan-17
Just curious what your results were, I am interested in trying some out.

15-Jan-17
I have shot Gold Tips with my compound and recurve for 20 years and found them to be quality shafts. I just trust the company, ie, weight and straightness.

15-Jan-17
Guess I've never weighed each shaft, but they have performed well.

15-Jan-17
I've shot GTs on and off for 30 years, only had a problem once. A doz. Expedition hunters (I normally shot XT hunter or pros) that flew down right crazy. These had weight and straightness tolerance within their advertised specs, but spine arrow-to-arrow was way off. Without writing a book about tests, experiments and contact w/GT service, in the end I think it was just one of those things: I got a bad bunch, that's all. . Happens with bows, cars, carrots, shoes. I've switched to Easton nanos and axis since, but I'd go back to GT no problem. But I will say this: I've never, never, never had a problem with anything Easton. But maybe someday I will, right?

16-Jan-17
I've been using the Platinum Pierce shafts! They have high tolerances spec wise. Great shafts

16-Jan-17
I've shot them for close to 15 years now. Found 1 shaft in all that time not in tolerance. Use mostly the 3d pros and they are as straight as they claim.

16-Jan-17
They have been around for awhile, and I never had a problem.

"The Gold Tip story started in 1989, when Marvin Carlston and Vaughn Anderson opened a small garage-based broadhead manufacturing business. About a year later, Marvin and Vaughn developed the world's first carbon graphite shaft arrow. "

16-Jan-17
Just started shooting the Hunter XT's a year or two ago. Consistent weight and straightness so far.

16-Jan-17
Ermine, did you check them on the RAM as well? Have you ever checked the Pro hunter/ XT hunters on the RAM?

16-Jan-17
I have shot some form of GT shafts for at least 17 years. I have my own spine tester as well. The tolerances have always been pretty much on the money. Straightness is hard to judge but I would say all have been better then .006. I am trying the new Bloodlines this year as I needed a light gpi. yet .400 spine as I had to go down in poundage and wanted to keep my arrow weight to match the same gpp. So far I am impressed with them as well. Scooby

16-Jan-17
There is a pretty renown bow tuner on another site I visit that was not impressed with the spine consistence of the pierce arrows. Injexions were better per his tests.

16-Jan-17

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
RogBOw- yea I use a ram spine tester. The arrows I have I found to be within the spec (spine) .002. With most being .001. I have found the Pierce to be higher in tolerance than the carbon injections. I also like the outsert and ballistic collar. Not shooting deep 6 is nice for head availability!

From what I heard is the first few batches of the Pierce shafts had some inconsistencies. But they corrected the problem. The Carbon injections tolerances have gone down .003 now.

16-Jan-17
I've shot GT XT's for some time now. After doing ALOT of reading about arrows on AT, I decided to give the GT Pro's a try last year. I bought a dozen through my shop and after the usual cutting from both ends, etc....... I took them home to built them. It wasnt until after I squared the ends, squared the face of the insert and installed a BH that I noticed a problem. Out of the dozen, 3 or 4 had a noticeable wobble to them. Couldn't get a BH to spin straight whatsoever. You could see it plain as day on the arrow spinner. My shop replaced the arrows and they weren't much better, so I contacted GT directly, sent them in and they replaced them, with better shafts. For the $$, I was disappointed. I never had that issue when buying their standard XT shafts. I will most likely continue to buy them, but think I'll stick with the XT's next time I need arrows. I bought 15 Pro's from a guy who had hand picked them from 3 dozen shafts and they all spun true, so I'm good to go for awhile.

16-Jan-17
GT Has been hit or miss for in the past and Recently I have had issues. The last two dozen velocity pros I had were terrible. I had Noticeable wobble in the bare shafts prior to cutting them and out of the two dozen less then half were exceptable to me. I was able to exchange the defected shafts and received a new dozen ultra light pros as replacement, which have been fine. However these will most likely be the last batch of GT for.

16-Jan-17
James, I pretty much always cut from both ends. However these were horrendous and it was a baseline that I wouldn't start my arrow build from. Comparing them to ACC's and BEA Rampages and Spartans that I also recently built there wasn't any comparison. That said the ultra lights that they replaced them with were just fine. Regardless I hope it was just an isolated incident of poor quality control because they sucked.

16-Jan-17
I have used nothing else for more than a decade. Hunter XTs. A number of years ago, after cutting to length I weighed the shafts. I was very happy with the consistency. I also weighed after glueing veins and inserts to see my consistency, which was not as good as the cut raw shafts. I do not remember the actual results, but I was convinced to stay with them. I used an electronic digital scale.

Not exactly what you asked for but hope that helps.

27-Jan-17
Of the dozen XT's I bought 4 are what I consider straight enough for big game hunting, even after cutting off the crooked end. The other 8 are probably good for practice, maybe small game. Think I might stick with the Pro's next time.

29-Jan-17
I've been happy with XT's. I'd shot some of the cheaper GT varieties and been very disappointed, but I found a set of 2 dozen XT's in a pawn shop cut to my length complete with innerloc broadheads for 15 bucks. I figured I'd just get them so I could have the heads for my kids to shoot . those arrows were fantastic, so I've stayed with them ever since.

• Sitka Gear