Bucknut 29-Jul-17
stealthycat 29-Jul-17
Broken Arrow 29-Jul-17
starbux 19-Dec-17
LKH 19-Dec-17
HDE 19-Dec-17
starbux 19-Dec-17
15-Feb-17
Going to use my points on Colorado 76 archery elk. Contemplating total DIY or getting a packer to help pack in and out or possible a drop camp. Any help with preferred trail heads or basins or packers would be greatly appreciated. Been told there is elk in every basin but looking for more specific information. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

15-Feb-17
A friend and I hunted 76 probably 10 years ago. Fischer and Goose creeks. Elk all over the place. This was before the fires. I still have maps someplace....I'll drop you a PM.

16-Feb-17
Thar would be great, Thanks

17-Feb-17
skibuoy........pm sent......badbull

17-Feb-17
There isn't elk everywhere. I don't understand this whole concept about 76. It's tough country, and certain areas that once produced good bulls get pounded. Most of the areas, you're looking at 4 to 6 miles before you get in to the boundaries of 76. If you hire a packer, you'll need to find one that knows the area. Most pack in to the Pyramid, Ute Creek area. Good luck...

07-Mar-17
Prewitt Outfitters!!!! Great folks and been outfitting in 76 for lots of years!! They are good friends of mine!! PM me if you want more info on them or 76!!

07-Mar-17
Contact Jake and Sal Powell from Lake city. 76 is his back yard, and he spends more time in 76 then anybody.

10-Mar-17
Man, I'd love to go back. But, it's a really long shot before I'm too old.

10-Mar-17
The spots skibouy mentioned are good spots. I've been on 2 hunts ((archery and 1st rifle) in 76 and have killed 2 bulls less than 3/4 of a mile from the road. There are a ton of spots that hold elk less than a mile from the roads. Doing a drop camp is a good way to "get in" but definitely not required in this unit IMO, to get in the elk. Not sure about the areas that were once good now get pounded??? Good luck , have a great hunt I will never get enough points to hunt it again.

10-Mar-17
Every area gets pounded when you post it on the internet, however then the elk just move out of the area.

Hell you'll kill an elk the first day and be having a drink by happy hour!!!!

17-Mar-17
EJ PM me if you pull the tag...I hunted it in 2010. Elkmo

22-Mar-17
EJP -

PM me if you get the tag, I hunted also, 2015

13-Jun-17
Elkmo I drew 76, Im from the Black Hills . Looking for any info I can get. i usually hunt in NE wyoming. Had 14 pts and wanted to burn them. I hear its very nice country but havent been near Creede as far as I remember. I did hunt the Wimin wilderness long time ago. Im 56 now. Hunting with a younger buddy. Looking to fill my tag 5 pts or better. Homemade Longbow Thanks for any nuggets Doug

13-Jun-17
If you can. look for access above South Fork. The burn area is growing very well and held a lot of elk last year. Some of the bigger bulls are killed going in from Creede. I don't know what you're wanting to hunt or are capable of hunting, but look into the Rio Grande Pyramid and into Ute Creek if you're capable of getting in there. Rio Grande Reservior does get hunted hard, and the elk get pushed back farther and farther. It's a good area with great trail systems, and lots of day hikers. Lots of great areas in 76, but don't expect a 340" bull in every basin. Like I said, Jake and Sal Powell spend a lot of time in 76, and worth trying to contact. Tough, steep country so know your limitations and you'll have a fun hunt. The bulls will be screaming one day and nothing for several days. And its not all cause of pressure.

13-Jun-17
Saphead, Enjoy the hunt I drew as well and will have my son along for my "packer"

13-Jun-17
"Homemade Longbow"

fantastic !! good luck

14-Jun-17
5 Bar N Outfitters---They are licensed in 76 and have camps in Goose Creek!! Really good people!! PM me if you want more info!!

21-Jun-17
I also drew a unit 76 tag, any info anyone is willing to share with me would be greatly appreciated.

22-Jun-17
the best unit in the state. elk in every basin..behind every tree... no problem.. just randomly pick a trailhead..tag filled before lunch time.

22-Jun-17
I honestly don't understand the hype about 76. Spend time in the unit, don't expect 300" bulls in every basin, and don't expect to see monster 340" plus bulls every day. The private ranches north of South Fork and Creede hold a lot of elk now almost year round that never leave the private property. You gotta spend your time and be prepare to cover ground. Contact the F&G guys in South Fork and Creede, they'll help you more then most guys on here, and give you true expectations of the unit. And then you'll know why there was so many left over 76 tags last year for both rifle and archery.

22-Jun-17

LUNG$HOT's Link
" And then you'll know why there was so many left over 76 tags last year for both rifle and archery. "

Not sure what you mean by "left over tags". There clearly weren't any tags left over for archery in 76. The quota was 160 tags with 874 1st choice applicants. Folks don't start drawing that tag until you have 6 points or better? Not saying it's the best unit in the world but far better than most OTC units. They show 55 bulls taken out of 153 people interviewed for a 36% success rate. I know these stats aren't gospel but I'd say they are more accurate in LE areas than the OTC stats.

22-Jun-17
36% success for archery elk is pretty dang good...

22-Jun-17
Actually, they were over 8 left over archery tags last year and several first and second season gun tags. We picked up one of the first gun season tags. We know several guys that picked up archery tags and hunted private land outside of South Fork.

22-Jun-17
Were they leftover tags, or turned back?

How could there be leftover tags if 874 1st choice applicants applied for a quota of 160 tags?

22-Jun-17
Buglmin. "We know several guys that picked up archery tags and hunted private land outside of South Fork. " Are you sure they weren't hunting purchased landowner tags?

While I'll agree 340 bulls are out of the question, 300"+ bulls are there and huntable with very little pressure compared to adjacent OTC units. And you don't need a private ranch hunt to find them. Do your home work and you'll be rewarded.

22-Jun-17
340 bulls are not out of the question.

22-Jun-17

Fulldraw1972's embedded Photo
Last years draw results for archery.

22-Jun-17
Left over and turn back are not the same thing.

22-Jun-17
And I saw a bull that came out of 76 last year when I was dropping off my horns. Guy estimated it at 330-340. The swords looked like baseball bats.

22-Jun-17
I'm with buglmin, I'll be in there this fall helping and will hunt it next year myself.

It's a fun unit no doubt but not really worth the points. I can justify 5 knowing the unit, but for a nonres it's crazy! And not worth it in my opinion.

22-Jun-17
There were zero leftover tags. There were 8 archery tags turned in that ended up on the leftover list.

22-Jun-17
I spent a couple weeks hunting it awhile back, fun hunt but not exactly a top trophy unit. We saw easily fifty 6 point bulls....and only 3-4 were legit 300"+ with the biggest about 320.

There were lots of 240-260" bulls....which is a good animal just not a hawg.

24-Jul-17
I will be there also this year 2nd rifle helping a buddy. Getting intel for next year with a longbow. Should draw fairly easily with 14 pts I believe. Hunted it in 03 with a rifle and went 3 for 3 Saw several average bulls and one Monster that would have easily went B&C the day before season. I think we had 5-6 pts and went 1st rifle. You are right it's not worth it for a NR, but they had us hooked. The point creep went crazy about the time we were to draw. This is the last time in my life I will hunt it for sure. If anyone has any fresh intel on likely places to scout please shoot me a PM. Thanks, John

24-Jul-17
Sammy Frazier of Frazier Outfitting is well know as a good outfitter in unit 76. I have stayed in one of his camps while guiding for sheep and see elk everywhere, including some 320+ bulls. He does drop camps or guided or a semi-guided with a cook/wrangler to keep tabs on you and pack out the bull. Last time I was in his camp in 2015, the semi-guided guy killed an archery 320 bull on his own. I scored it for them after they packed it back to camp.

24-Jul-17
Jake Powell retired from outfitting and sold his business two years ago.

24-Jul-17
"Should draw fairly easily with 14 pts I believe"

Dont think its gonna be that easy, this year 14 points guaranteed a tag, 15 out of 51 with 13 points drew. The creep may bite you yet.......

24-Jul-17
15-16 points to hunt a unit that you MIGHT get to see a 300-320 bull

wow ....

24-Jul-17
Yea, just looked at the stats. That'll suck. Point creep again! Just hope some hi pointers don't cash in. Oh well at least I'll get some feet on the ground scouting in this year. Might stick a few grouse with the stick bow while I'm out too. I love the mountains. Should have moved there when I first went out in 92.

25-Jul-17
Talked and visited with Jake last year when he was over hunting the same area we were. He was looking for bear and I told him of an elk carcess in the area.

Lots of outfitters in 76 anymore. People go in on day camps. That's why the outfitters move their small camps every 10 days! I know San Juan Outfitters and Sundown Outfitters sold their permit areas, but still hunt it on day permits. An outfitter from South Fork also goes in from Wolf Creek down the Divide trail. At times the trail head looks like a parking lot.

If I hunted 76 again, I'd go in from the Rainbow trail and go over by East Red Mountain. The Ross boys have camps in there and you see some good solid bulls. Indian Summer outfitters go in from Turkey Lake. We were in there in 2014 for the first rifle and had to get out of there cause of the heavy snow fall. Tough, steep canyons and I do love listening to the bugles echoing off the canyon walls. Never understood why guys go in so deep, burn so many points to kill and small 280ish bull and kill themselves having to get it out. Good luck in there, still lots of snow up high and at the top of the basins, but decent grass growth. Take a fly rod and have fun...

29-Jul-17
Thanks for the info BUGLMIN, Every little bit will help. Even if the info is where not to go. Thanks, John

29-Jul-17
if I'm thinking where Buglmin is talking, the fires there 3-4 years ago left it a jungle of head high weeds/grass and the logs and blowdowns from the fires/beetle kill .... tough walking. Went in there a few weeks back. TOUGH

29-Jul-17

Broken Arrow's Link
Did a month long solo hunt there in 2013, can share some info, PM me.

19-Dec-17
Guys, after reading through a lot of older Unit 76 info I’d like to see if I can revive this thread since it is the most recent. I moved to CO in August for work and will be a resident for draw purposes in February with 11 points and want to cash in after talking to some members who understand the system and point creep. I’ve never killed an elk, but would really like to go DIY instead of outfitter. I live close enough now that I plan on going up as much as possible to scout. When and why is better for scouting? A couple members said mid-summer was a waste of time since they’ll move before season. Pack in to a spike camp or try to find sleeper canyons by the road that others walk past? Have a pack horse on call? What does that cost? I’ll be 47 in a few months. Thanks in advance for any advice.

19-Dec-17
There are a ton of 76 topics and I think you would be better off to start a new one with your post here. People tend to ignore the long posts and a new one will at least get looked at.

19-Dec-17
Get the tag first, then start a new thread. There are a lot of guys on here that have hunted and hunt 76 that have not said anything yet. Advertise "PM me" and you may get some good info they do not want to publicize...

19-Dec-17
HDE, with 11 resident points I should draw unless something drastic changes. I will start a different thread though. Thanks.

• Sitka Gear