Surfbow 19-Feb-17
txhunter58 19-Feb-17
RogBow 19-Feb-17
bigeasygator 19-Feb-17
Fulldraw1972 19-Feb-17
CurveBow 21-Feb-17
17-Feb-17
Greetings,

I plan on going on an early season trip first week of the season. Being from the east I am a little perplexed in terms of what I truly need for an everyday mid layer/shell.

I just got some merino base tops. I already have a light ll bean gortex shell if it rains. (Debating on upgrading for something more breathable). That leaves me with a gap for a "mid layer" piece, something that could be worn every day if it is cooler in the morning/night. Or just during the day over my base.

I would think that a lightweight fleece layer (like a First Lite Men's Halstead Fleece Shirt) would do the trick. I like athletic style gear that is very durable. If i have a merino base, then when it is cooler I could add a midlayer (like the fleece mentioned above or a stika ascent jacket) and be covered for most situations, am I off?

Or would I need something heavier (something in between that thin midlayer piece) and my outer rain shell.

Then if it rains I could add the gortext shell over my base and mid layer. If I am investing in a piece I would also want to be breathable if it is warm/or when I am active.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am trying to strike that balance of not getting something that is too heavy or unnecessary for this trip.

Buying gear for an active early season trip versus a cold weather stand vigil back east is throwing me for a loop!

Thank you very much!

17-Feb-17
First lite Chama is a good option. It's merino and you can always use the standard version of it as a base as well if you wanted. It comes in the standard, 230g, and 330g.

17-Feb-17
1st week, good chance it will be hot with brisk mornings. You'll be down to your single layer by 9am. Basically your early season whitetail gear will be adequate w/ a packable jacket of some sort. So to say "midlayer" is a bit of a misnomer, for me its more like base layer and removable shell.

Wool and antibacterial synthetics are what I'm after.

17-Feb-17
I'm also a First Lite fan. My go-to tops are the Llano and Chama. If it's warm, I wear the Llano. If it's cooler, I wear the Chama. Many times, I wear the Chama over the Llano, then just shed one or the other if I start getting too warm. If it gets to the point I want more, I wear the First Lite Springer vest or the KUIU Chinook jacket. For pants, I love Sitka Ascents.

I carry Cabela's Space Rain Gear in case of rain. It's lightweight and packs to the size of a beer can.

17-Feb-17
I would use some merino base layers. And then have a rain shell. And a puffy jacket. Use the puffy if you get cold. Rain jacket for rain and cutting wind

17-Feb-17
I use a camo sitka base layer. For early morning I'll add a Cabelas microtex shirt. If I'm still cold I'll add a thinsulate vest. If I'm still cold I'll add a Sitka 90's jacket. If wet I'll add a Sitka rainjacket with pitzips. With all those layers I can usually find the right combo for sitting, hiking, wet, windy, or warm. I always wear a different camo pattern on top vs bottoms to break up my human form. Don't make the mistake 90% of guys make of wearing the same camo on top and bottom!

18-Feb-17

18-Feb-17
It depends on how you plan on hunting. What I've found is that after walking for about 30 minutes, I'm "delayered" and hunt the rest of the morning with my merino base and another long sleeved merino top as well and that's it. Pack a "puffy" in your pack if you so desire in case you are sitting for any period of time.

--Mitch

18-Feb-17
Bring shorts and short sleeves too!

19-Feb-17
I'm a big fan of my windstopper vest as my mid layer. I usually wear a First Lite base layer and my vest, then carry a light down jacket and rain gear. I find my arms being a little cool while hiking doesn't bother me as long as my torso is warm.

19-Feb-17
If you hurry, this is a good sale on Sitka: https://www.camofire.com/?trk_msg=FS5E06AMMD1KN3GP50QGBRR4KK&trk_contact=UB1UF52EEOT9IOMHDGIO6P0R78&trk_sid=NPPJS6BJG1MPE9TF1V7T94F1M8&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Shop+Camofire&utm_campaign=Daily+Shooter+02192017&utm_content=Daily+Shooter

19-Feb-17
OP,

As far as base/mid/outer layers First Lite wool will handle any hunt and not stink much after a week of sweating. Get the wool boxers too, well worth it.

19-Feb-17
The halsted is a great midlayer, as is the chama. I also like the Sitka Traverse and core heavyweight hoody. The Kuiu peloton is another midlayer piece that works well!

19-Feb-17
A merino short sleeve T shirt, transverse top and a Jetstream jacket is all I have needed for September.

It's amazing how quickly it warms up in the morning if your in the sun.

21-Feb-17
I use my Sitka 90% jacket. I use my SItka Kelvin as a puffy. I have Cabelas Utra Space Rain Gear (the smallest, lightest I know of). I also bring a Sitka or other base layer and this past year, used a cotton t-shirt over the base layer for a bit more warmth on mornings.

>>>>-------->

• Sitka Gear