Jaquomo 19-Feb-17
bigbuckODY 19-Feb-17
IdyllwildArcher 19-Feb-17
bigbuckODY 21-Feb-17
Jaquomo 21-Feb-17
Old School 21-Feb-17
LKH 22-Feb-17
18-Feb-17
i think ive got my pants and jacket dcecided on but two things i want to travel to my nearest Sitka Gear Dealer to try several pant jacket and layers in all sorts of combos(making sure that two outer layers arent same camo paterns) on before i purchase on camofire.com or amazon i want to make sure how they feel range of motion and noise factors so my question is in the elevations of 7500-10500 feet from september 10/11-25 what is the average temps like ? should we plan for snow rain and heat

18-Feb-17
"should we plan for snow rain and heat"

Yes. And FWIW, elk aren't as fashion conscious as we humans. Mix tops/ bottoms or have the same. Bottom line, if they catch you moving at the wrong time, it doesn't matter what camo you are, or aren't, wearing. I'm more concerned about how quiet and comfortable the clothing is.

18-Feb-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
added vest cooler days and evenings
added vest cooler days and evenings
fleece works well
fleece works well
and even cotton when it gets warm
and even cotton when it gets warm
I wore this outfit most of the season here in Colorado, pictured at 10,500 ft. I added a vest on cooler morning and evenings. A light weight rain/snow shell was in the back pack which I never had to use. A few morning were below 32 degrees but most days were in the high 40 and 50s and into the 60s.

18-Feb-17
Paul shamed me into going into a little more info than in my previous post.

I don't hunt CO, but where I hunt in WY, I can almost spit there. Most my hunting is 8-9,000'. During the timeframe you mention, I've experienced from 90 degrees to single digits. From dry as a popcorn fart to intense thunderstorms, steady light rain that lasted 3-4 days, 12" of snow at camp, and everything in between. Short answer...be prepared for everything, because you never know. Get a radio that has continuous NOAA radio updates for the area you're in and listen to it everyday. The mountains aren't kind to those that aren't prepared.

18-Feb-17

it can snow
it can snow
and then 4 days later hiking out
and then 4 days later hiking out

18-Feb-17

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
August 28, 2013, 9,700 feet in North Central CO. Started out as a sunny, warm morning. Then the hail happened in the afternoon. Mountain hail can educate a fella real quick.

18-Feb-17

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Third week of September, N. Central CO at base camp, 8,200 feet. By the time this one was over we had a foot of wet concrete. Nobody went anywhere in a vehicle for several days except on paved roads. The guys hunting at 10,000 feet had it pretty bad. Many slogged out and left gear behind. Just after this photo was taken a tree branch came down and speared right through my Alaskan Guide tent in the background.

18-Feb-17

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Prepare for different conditions, go with the flow and don't get stressed out, and you'll be fine.

19-Feb-17

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Yep, be prepared in case it snows:)

19-Feb-17

bigbuckODY's embedded Photo
I watch camofire.Com a ton and I've researched Sitka but can't decide still these r on now I'm thinking down for wen it is cold what about these items well b on the move a lot I think

19-Feb-17

19-Feb-17

19-Feb-17

RTJ1980's embedded Photo
Waking up to snow 9/18/2015
RTJ1980's embedded Photo
Waking up to snow 9/18/2015
The photo is from September 18th, 2015 at 10,200' in Central CO. As many have said be prepared for everything from 80 degrees to 10 degrees. My clothing list is made up of UA cold gear for a base layer if needed, Sitka Core T-shirt, Long sleeve Core Zip-T, 90% jacket, Kelvin Lite vest, mountain pants, fleece beanie, baseball cap, rain gear, and gaiters. I have been pretty comfortable in temps down to 20 degrees and a bit cold in anything lower. The great part about elk hunting is I have only been cold climbing out of the tent in the morning and once I start hiking I am shedding layers. Every year I've hunted has been a little different weather wise. Just be prepared.

19-Feb-17
Could be t shirt weather or it could be snowy and coldlike others said. Last August hunting deer we had worse weather than here in October or December. It was foggy cold and snow and rain All day long for multiple days

19-Feb-17
Packable layers are the key. I prefer Primaloft these days but down is great as long as it doesn't get wet.

You will be on the move until you find elk to hunt. Then you'll be sitting if you hunt them right. Sitting still for 30-45 minutes during a calling setup can get chilly real fast if you've broken a sweat. Some elk are better hunted via ambush in mornings and evenings, so you may be sitting for a few hours.

I generally carry a Primaloft vest in my hunting pack for an inner layer for sitting in normal weather, and adjust with a layer or two of fleece for colder weather as needed. Fleece compresses well and weighs nothing.

19-Feb-17
thank you guys im ordering right now sitka mountain pants 90% jacket and kelvin down jacket from camofire deals :) our plan is to do exactly that move until we find elk so this gear will help :)

19-Feb-17
You'll be fine as long as you aren't wet. Even if it gets to 10, all you have to do is walk to warm up at 10. 35, wet, and raining is the worst. Prepare for that.

21-Feb-17
I've ordered my hunting pants. Sitka 90% pants (optima back country pattern)these will be the only pants I will be wearing on hike into spike camp and entire trip I'll bring along a pair of inner layer ( under Armour cold gear) for just in case situations but I still can't decide on jacket/outer layer well be on the move tons till we locate ELK I'm bringing my Under Armour hunting hoodie to save a little money by not buying a down vest I know also I want ASAT jacket camouflage pattern First Lite Woodbury Jacket is one jacket I'm looking at but not sure it'll work good bow hunting does anyone use this jacket during bow hunts? What jackets would best fit our style of on the move hunting? I was also just thinking of buying a vest for chilly mornings putting it over my inner layer but still having a jacket in my pack at all times for cold weather/snow and windy glassing spots?

21-Feb-17
Blacktail Bob would tell you to wear a blue P&Y hoodie for an outer, and he kills more animals than anyone.

Really, get what you can afford and what makes you feel confident, but camo is the least important factor for your upcoming hunt. Most of what you have for hunting during early whitetail season will work fine as long as you have a good outer shell and layer smartly. Sounds like you have a pretty generous budget to work with! :-) All my elk have been killed while wearing Cabelas bargain cave stuff, gear from Sierra trading post sales, or Goodwill.

21-Feb-17
I'm a relative newby to DIY elk hunting, but can tell you this much, there are guys on this forum who helped me out tremendously. I read through your many posts where you are asking so many questions and I think - "good night, give it a rest!" and then I think back just a year ago to my many messages I sent to guys through a PM rather than public forum. Those guys were probably thinking the same thing about me.

You seem to have a budget much greater than mine was, but that really doesn't matter, what matters is this - study your maps and have back up spots for your back up spots. You may setup camp and go find the elk right where you thought you would. On the other hand, it is for more likely that you will go to that spot and find hunters rather than elk. Time for backup plans A,B,C,D, and so on. It is much easier to have plans and backup plans made before you get to your spot than it is once you get there. Elk aren't going to be where you want them to be, they'll be wherever you find them. And they won't care if you're wearing Sitka or Bargain Cave clothing.

As Lou says, buy what you can afford and get out there and learn - you will learn more with boots on the ground in 10 days than you will in a year on the internet...everyplace is different, what works in one place may not work so well in another, no matter what people tell you.

Just my 2 cents and probably about what its worth :-)

--Mitch

22-Feb-17
All my gear is custom made at Deni's.

• Sitka Gear