Sean D. 19-Feb-17
Backpack Hunter 19-Feb-17
luckychucky 19-Feb-17
Pete In Fairbanks 20-Feb-17
meatus 22-Feb-17
Pete In Fairbanks 24-Feb-17
19-Feb-17

meatus's Link
What do you guys think about this? Allowing Bears & Wolves in Alaskan Refuge areas to be hunted. Some are claiming by airplane & in the Den while others are saying this measure is just to allow the state of Alaska to manage these game how they deem fit. There's a lot of info out there but a lot of it seems tainted and slanted and not to trustworthy. I'd like to hear from some of the Alaska residents about this topic and hear their opinions. I have not made my own mind on this topic just yet as I'm still gather info and trying to decipher facts from fiction. Thanks

19-Feb-17
The part about hunters shooting from planes and killing them in their dens is the AR groups trying to manipulate people into thinking that what will happen if this bill passes. The state has used "denning" for population control and Natives have done it in the past as a way to feed familys during the winter, but from what Ive heard it hasn't been done in decades.

19-Feb-17
H.J 69 gives the power back to the state to manage the federal refuges within it's borders.

For some reason I can't get the link to show up correctly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXXy-3i7RA4

19-Feb-17

luckychucky's Link
The Alaska Statehood Act and ANILCA gives fish and game management to the state.

20-Feb-17
And Congress took that "right" away when Alaska refused to change our State Constitution (which states that our natural resources are managed for "common use") to make it so the Feds could discriminate based on where you lived in the State (apartheid via Zip code.)

The State of Alaska does allow for some predator control work to balance things out and allow species hunted for meat to recover. The Feds do not approve.

No one hunts bears in the den, for example, for "sport." It is something commonly done by some Natives to obtain food, and thus is allowed in some areas under Alaska law.

Pete

22-Feb-17
Thanks for the info & Pete thanks for the resident aspect of things, much appreciated. Instead of believing all the crap people post on FB I rather hear it from the people who live there and get their perspective.

24-Feb-17
Most of the issue is regarding the State wanting to do some predator control work. The feds do not approve of predator control work.

Oh wait, they approve of it if THEY decide to do it!

As far as I know, USFWS is still poisoning foxes in the Aleutians to protect ground nesting birds.

But USFWS doesn't believe in taking a few wolves/bears to boost ungulate populations for human food.

Feds say that their mgt regimes are based on "natural diversity." Under current law, It actually looks like they are instead based on politically correct theories.

Pete

• Sitka Gear