Matt 21-Feb-17
loprofile 21-Feb-17
Bushwacker 21-Feb-17
loprofile 21-Feb-17
Bushwacker 21-Feb-17
krieger 21-Feb-17
Treeline 22-Feb-17
19-Feb-17
I don't want to start up a controversy about the product, but I would like to hear from people that have first hand knowledge on the GrizzlyStik arrows and broadheads. While my daughter and I were at the DSC show we sat in on the arrow/broadhead session on Saturday and while the session wasn't intended to promote GrizzlyStik, it was clear that their product was the speaking point of the presentation. But we thoroughly enjoyed the session and afterwards we went by the GrizzlyStik booth to view their products and to talk to them directly. As we are planning a trip this May to Alaska for black bear and then in June of 2018 we are booked for a plains-game hunt in Namibia, I want to make sure that our gear is up the task at hand. Emily's big animal in Africa will be the Kudu, so I want to make sure that her gear is top notch. The question now becomes, what is 'top notch?' She has a brand new Bowtech Eva Shockey, currently set at 44 lbs and 26" draw. Her arrows now are Carbon Express PileDriver 250 Pass Through Extremes cut to 28" and topped with 125 grain SlickTrick Razor Trick broadheads. That's a four blade, cut on contact, broadhead. Total arrow weight is 469 grains with a FOC of 11%. The reason the FOC is not higher is due to the 7" wraps, 3 - 2" blazer vanes, and lighted nock. I know, I could get a higher FOC if I ditched the wrap and the lighted knock, but I like that they are a great help in retrieving the arrow. I bought into the advertising about the PileDrivers as being a 'from the factory FOC center arrow,' but out of the box all of mine balance perfectly at the half way mark, telling me there is no built in FOC. In reality, they are a parallel design from front to back, every inch weighing the same. While I like what I've seen in the GrizzlyStik videos and testimonials, I just wonder if the arrow setup is really worth the extreme costs? Again, I can't help but cringe at the cost of one arrow and broadhead, especially when I think of how many I've lost out in the woods or damaged during target practice. Questions I have would be: Are the arrows and broadheads worth the cost? Are the arrows and broadheads going to be that much better than her current setup? Is there another option, mabye another arrow/broadhead setup that you'd recommend? etc. I am willing to give them a try, but man, that price tag is crazy expensive. The cost of an 18 arrow setup is equal to one large animal or two small ones in Africa. I realize this is one of those "what if" topics that have no hard and defined answer, but replies from those with experience would be appreciated.

19-Feb-17
I think your daughters current set up will work just fine. I dabbled with the grizzly sticks about 10 years ago. I found the arrow spine to be very inconsistent. I didn't t know much about the current shafts. Maybe they got the spine issues work out.

19-Feb-17
Big fan of the CX PileDriver Pass Thru Extreme 250. Heavy but thin. I think her current arrow setup and total weight is good. If anything try to get her pull weight a bit higher.

So happy for you two being able to go on this hunt together. Have a great time making memories. C

19-Feb-17
To simply answer the question - no, it is not worth the cost. In this day and age people are getting so wrapped up in the minutia they are missing the big picture.

Most folks who have objectively tested the Grizzly Sticks have come to the conclusion the tolerances are not that great.

If anything, switch from a 4 blade COC to a 2 blade COC. If you are worried about FOC% (which I wouldn't be), dump the lighted nock and go with a shorter wrap. Working up a few pounds in draw weight wouldn't hurt either.

19-Feb-17
Congratulations! Hope you and your daughter have an awesome trip!

I have a set of Grizzly Stick arrows that I set up for truly large animals - buffalo, bison, etc. They good arrows, but very expensive and more than you need for setting up your daughter for plains game.

The arrow/broadhead that you have set up for your daughter are probably fine for whitetails, but she is likely to have problems with that set up on African animals. A kudu is on par with an elk, but tougher. Those arrows are too light overall, the FOC is pretty low, and that 4-blade won't penetrate nearly as well as a 2-blade. It would really help with her setup to get the total arrow weight up above 650 grains with an FOC above 20% using a solid 2-blade (preferably a single bevel matched to her fletch helical). An even heavier arrow would actually be advantageous especially with the light draw weight she is shooting. It would also help to get her drawing more weight - see if you can get her to work up to a heavier draw weight. If she shoots quite a bit, she can probably move up toe 45 or even 50. Any little bit would help!

Go to a stiffer arrow and heavier broadhead. You don't need to buy a full set of Grizzly Stiks, though. Look at Carbon Express or Gold Tips for a stiffer spine weight. If you get a couple notches higher on spine, you can probably get up to a 250 or 300 grain broadhead to tune out of her bow. A really good broadhead out there now is the Cutthroat single bevel from Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear. Another option is the VPA for double bevel. The single bevel with an arrow weight above 650 grains will help to break through bones and still penetrate enough to get to the vitals.

Good Luck!

19-Feb-17

19-Feb-17
Thanks for the good input, this is what I was hoping for. The reason we put off the Africa hunt until 2018 is so that she can build up her strength. She's active in sports and they have them in the weight room for strength and conditioning training. I'm hoping to have her at or near 50 lbs by the time we leave next summer.

I just ran the numbers on a 145 gr and 200 gr head by using a field tip test kit I have.

The 145 gr head changed the FOC to 14.3%, total weight 494 gr, and the 200 gr head up to 17.8%, total weight 544 gr

Will the 250 shaft spine be able to handle that extra weight, or do we go heavier spine with a completely different shaft size?

Another reason I chose the CE PileDriver Pass Through Extremes was due to the smaller outside diameter. I'd an insert, but they come with a factory insert already, not sure if an aftermarket can be used?

I will research the 2 blade heads and the other arrow options.

I shoot CE PileDriver Hunters in 350 size. They have a larger OD, but heavier spine to handle the extra weight??

19-Feb-17
I shoot them out of my traditional setup but would not do so with a compound. Their spine and straightness tolerances are terrible.

19-Feb-17
I've had good luck with the tapered Grizzlystik shafts. Yes the spine can be touchy but when you get it you get it. I also have one dozen each Grizzlystik Banshees (parallel shafts) 500 and 600 spines. The tapered Grizzlystik arrows are used out of my Browning Mirage FPS set at 80#. Yes they are heavy but this ol'boy is not a fan of light arrows. Speed ain't everything. Besides I mostly shoot recurves and longbows so my projectile speed and spine being spot-on aren't as critical. Anyway I recommend Grizzlystiks. And to the OP-the name of your arrows choice makes me think of the names of some black churches with names a mile long.

19-Feb-17
Hard to get a tapered carbon shaft consistent. I am using them for a traditional setup and they are fine but will be tougher to work out for tuning off a compound.

You will need to up the spine weight when you up the point weight. If she is drawing more weight, you will also need to up the spine weight. Lots of great carbon arrows out there that will work just fine. Those 350's may work for her with a much higher point weight.

You have to shoot African animals much further forward. Higher chance of hitting a scapula or leg bone. You want a really solid arrow and broadhead set up.

Yes, there have been plenty of African plains game shot with lighter arrows and even expandable broadheads, but why take a chance? Would hazard a guess that plenty of African animals that are shot with sub-par arrow/broadhead set ups end up being tracked down and killed by the PH with a gun, although that will typically not be in the trophy photo.

19-Feb-17
"And to the OP-the name of your arrows choice makes me think of the names of some black churches with names a mile long."

Hey, I don't name them, but I'm sure someone gets paid a lot of money to? LOL

19-Feb-17
I shoot the same grizzly stick momentums tipped with muzzy phantom 125s from my recurve and compound and love them. Penetration and accuracy have been excellent for me. Pricey but as a percent of my hunting investment not very much.

20-Feb-17

Wood's embedded Photo
Wood's embedded Photo
I just bought some expensive broadheads to try on Elk next fall. (Iron Will Outfitters)They should be good for Kudu, I would think. You might think about shooting an arrow such as Gold Tip that has brass inserts as an option for FOC. Just food for thought.

20-Feb-17
Ask your PH, I am sure that they will provide you guidance on arrow mass. Like I said, don't overthink it.

20-Feb-17
At only 50#, I would definitely stay under 600 grains total arrow weight Any more than that, and the rewards for added weight start to drop. FOC is not as important with a compound, anything in the 12 - 18% range is good.

Grizzly sticks wouldn't make my top five list for heavy game shafts.

20-Feb-17
More mass and FOC is more critical for lighter weight bows than for heavier draw weights.

Have my son shooting a 24% FOC, 2-blade single bevel broadhead, 650 grain arrow with a 53# recurve and he got pass thru's on elk, mule deer, feral hogs, sheep, and whitetails last year - everything he shot. It definitely makes a big difference.

20-Feb-17
"To simply answer the question - no, it is not worth the cost. " That may apply to some but I but not to me and undoubtedly to many others.. "Most folks who have objectively tested the Grizzly Sticks have come to the conclusion the tolerances are not that great" How would one know whether or not anyone "objectively" tested them.

20-Feb-17
The Grizzly Sticks are good and I have used them for elk and buffalo with great results.

I think the OP can build up an arrow that will work very well for his daughter with more standard arrows - just go to a stiffer spine and heavier point weight. Might even be able to use the arrows he is shooting with a heavy broadhead and turn out a great arrow. Would save some money over the GS arrows and still have a great performing setup.

20-Feb-17
It is extremely easy to build about as much FOC as you want with much cheaper and quality parallell shafts.

20-Feb-17
"That may apply to some but I but not to me and undoubtedly to many others"

Sapcut nailed it. Although I am not a big High FOC proponent, there really isn't much the GS shafts will do for you a much cheaper and likely higher quality shaft won't do better - and did I mention cheaper? Even *if* they got their QC under control, there are much less expensive shafts that will do more for less.

Thomas Tusser had a great quote on the subject...

"How would one know whether or not anyone "objectively" tested them"

One word: spine tester

20-Feb-17
Can never get the last word with matt but i my question was not how they were tested but how he knows that anyone objectively tested them

20-Feb-17
"one word - spine tester".

Western count i suppose

21-Feb-17
In terms of objectivity, there are people whose opinions I trust and do not have a vested interest in anything other than providing objective data.

I am open to changing my opinion based on more current results. Throw some of your arrows on your Ram spine tester and post up a video of the results.

21-Feb-17
In two words, try some Grizzly Sticks and post your opinion and I will consider it valid.

21-Feb-17
We now have two GS arrows for her to test, set up for her specs, along with their field point test kit. We will be testing them this weekend hopefully. Thanks for all of the input, a lot of good advice from all. Thanks

21-Feb-17
Good luck.

21-Feb-17
And I like the looks of those Cutthroat broadheads. Look pretty much like the GS heads, but half the price. Also looking into other arrow options. Once we tests the GS arrows with the various size heads, I'll post my opinion of the results.

21-Feb-17
Jerry at Southshore can set you up with some brass inserts to gain more weight and FOC. I would be doing that, and shooting the new Iron Will heads that were pictured on this thread. I got some to try and they are quality. Sharp and durable. Lot's of choices though, good luck!

22-Feb-17
Keep in mind that you will need to re-tune arrows as she increases draw weight. The sooner you can get her settled in on her draw weight and draw length for her to start practicing with the heavier setups, the better. Even if she only moves up to 45# and is comfortable with drawing that weight sitting down, it will be an improvement and getting those heavier arrows flying perfectly, with time at the range to get her sights dialed in will go a long way toward success in the field.

Would be hesitant to fork over the $$ for the Grizzly Sticks and have to change up the whole setup when she increases draw weight and possibly draw length. Would hate to have a really spendy set of arrows sitting in the corner that were not going to be used and could not be sold.

Try setting up your arrows with the heavy points and getting them to tune out of her bow. You might be pleasantly surprised.

• Sitka Gear