Carcajou 21-Feb-17
wildwilderness 21-Feb-17
wildwilderness 21-Feb-17
Teeton 21-Feb-17
wildwilderness 21-Feb-17
Treeline 22-Feb-17
badbull 23-Feb-17
20-Feb-17
I'm thinking of hunting pronghorn, diy on public (archery) this fall. So far this winter I see that units 2/201 are not having that bad of a snowy winter. But how was last years (2016) winter. Kinda wondering if they had a winter kill in the last couple of years. I have chatted with a few guys that have hunted units 2/201 in the past for pronghorn and know that it's not a pronghorn mega.

Does anyone know these units and could share some info on them. Would like to get out there 3 or 4 days before the opener to scout and possibly set up a few blinds over water holes. I would be going out with my girl friend in the rv. She would not be hunting, but dropping me off at one of the spots and going and doing her own thing for a few hours why I'm hunting. She did this in 2015 with me and really liked it.. I would contact her by walkie talkies with a hunting report a few times a day at set times.

If anyone would like to share any other units that I could do a Colorado diy public land hunt. I would appreciate it. But for Colorado diy public land pronghorn, I only have info right now on units 2/201

Thanks Ed

20-Feb-17
How many points do you have? Takes 16+ points to guarantee the tag, though there is a random chance if you have 5+ points due to the hybrid draw on that hunt.

There are way more antelope in 3/301 but the quality has gone down a lot. It's a less pressure higher trophy potential hunt. Would need to find the antelope though.

21-Feb-17
14% chance as a NR with 18 points last year (29% at 18 PPs for a resident). There are some better units in CO that take far fewer points as well as some OTC areas that are pretty good if you don't have the points.

21-Feb-17
Ed, pm sent

21-Feb-17
Wildwilderness, you were looking at rifle season stats.. I will be hunting archery.. 18 points

I started looking into this unit a few years ago and have a note book with info in it. I do have a few areas that the pronghorn frequent listed with some watering holes locals from guys that hunt it. These guys all hunted 2014 and before, as I was thinking of hunting it in 2015.. But did Wyoming instead.. I also have chat with the WCO or maybe it was the area land manager about the area..

Jaquomo, I would love to chat with you. I will send you a pm later today.

Pronghorn hunting this year is only a idea at this time.. I'm going to see what info I get and how the herd is doing come April 4th. Pronghorn at this time is my main focus. But if things don't fall in to place it could be something else. I usually spent a good deal of time researching my diy hunts out and seem to enjoy and do well on them..

Thanks for the responses !!

Ed

21-Feb-17
No, I was looking at the ARCHERY Stats. Unit 2 is the hardest one to draw in the state. Treeline said the same thing.

If you think it takes 5 points that is because the CPW mag is deceiving. You do have a chance if you have 5+ points due to the Hybrid Draw option on that hunt code for ARCHERY but the odds are about 1% to draw. There were no NR who drew last year (highest had 15 pp) according to CPW stats.

But with 18 points you should be in the running...

21-Feb-17
You would need to put in with 19 PP's to be assured a tag last year and that goal post may move up one point for this year. That is for Archery.

Unit 2 could be a fun hunt. Tons of empty country up there to explore for antelope.

I am considering burning my elk points up there but looking at a few other options with 23 PP's going into the draw this year.

It looks like I could draw elk (23), deer (10), antelope (20) and bear (3) all up in Unit 2 with a possibility for moose (max points) in 2 as well.

Probably will not go that far, but may pick 2 or 3 species out of the 5 for that unit this year. Thinking I will put in to draw for sure for elk this year and might put in to draw a bear and/or deer tag up there just in case. Have to think hard about deer as there are some other really good options out there. Have lots of bears around my house so may put in for one of those units that I can get on 2nd choice and just shoot one closer to home. Will probably use my antelope and moose points in another year and another unit because there are really good options for them in other areas as well.

21-Feb-17
Not to Hijack, but are there ANY good OTC Antelope Archery Areas in Colorado? I cant find enough valid info, to steer me in any direction. Would love a crack at em this fall. Thanks

21-Feb-17

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
wildwilderness's embedded Photo
There are only 5 tags for that hunt, 1 goes random, NR cap would be at 20% for that code, which means max 1 NR can get a tag. With 18 you have a shot at it, but I wouldn't say 100%.

21-Feb-17
For OTC units I think the issue is private land. I shot my first archery antelope on an CO OTC unit but was on private land. Really nice farmer and only charged $100 for my buddy an me to hunt his land. My friend killed an 80" there! From my experience there and WY most landowners don't care that much for pronghorn and access will be given a whole lot easier than for deer/elk.

21-Feb-17
Wilderwildness,, Sorry I should of said Treeline is looking at rifle stats. Correct me if I'm wrong, Colorado has no resident to nonresident pool for pronghorn. Tags go to the ones with the most points, not counting the hybird??? Ed

21-Feb-17
Your right on the no NR cap on pronghorn, didn't catch that earlier. Only applies to Deer/ Elk, with the sheep/mt goat/moose having designated NR tags.

2/201 is really in the middle of nowhere. I've hunted north of there in WY and would drive through 2 all the time and a lot in 3 on the East border as well. I've also rafted the Green River on the west as well. Definately lonely country that few get to see.

22-Feb-17
Teeton, you were right, I was looking at the rifle stats. Still looks to be 17 to be assured to draw for archery.

23-Feb-17
teeton......Sent you a pm ........badbull

• Sitka Gear