SDHNTR(home) 22-Feb-17
bigeasygator 22-Feb-17
midwest 22-Feb-17
NoWiser 22-Feb-17
LINK 22-Feb-17
Hunt98 22-Feb-17
BTM 22-Feb-17
22-Feb-17
I'm looking to apply for preference points for elk hunting in multiple states. The logistics is mind boggling to me for applying to various states.

Is there a consulting service that can breakdown (in layman's terms) the deadlines, costs, tag types, etc...?

How much do the consultants charge?

22-Feb-17
The internet is flush with them! google will net you hours of reading on the subject.

22-Feb-17
There are lots. I've used numerous. The Huntin Fool is a good place to start.

22-Feb-17

22-Feb-17
It's intimidating at first, but after the first year it's pretty easy. You have plenty of time to research in between state deadlines. Keep a folder on your computer for each state with receipts and licenses, as well as a spreadsheet with all of your ID numbers, passwords, etc.. You can get the "Point Hunter" app for your phone that will warn you of upcoming deadlines and also help you keep track of your points.

No way would I trust a service to do mine!

22-Feb-17
You've missed several deadlines all ready but get on every state you want to apply at website and get the application deadlines. Set up and apply for points for the ones you haven't missed. At this point you don't need to know what unit to apply for with 0 points, just get a point. You have a year to study learn everything you need to know. Tons of googleable info and what you can't find you can ask here. Just dive in and learn it. Unless your in your twenties I'd start looking for units you can currently draw with 7 points or less so in ten years you might have a chance at drawing those units.

22-Feb-17
Is there one or two consulting services that standout for bowhunters?

Which ones?

22-Feb-17
Also be advised that some of them will take your $25-50 fee per state for tags that are impossible to get unless you're 18 and want to hunt when you're an old man. (Sheep, goat, bison, etc.) So you still need to do some research on your own.

• Sitka Gear