Scar Finga 20-Mar-17
Fuzzy 20-Mar-17
Zbone 21-Mar-17
MathewsMan 21-Mar-17
TD 21-Mar-17
Zbone 21-Mar-17
10-Mar-17
All,

I sold my old truck and bought a 1 owner 97 dodge ram extended cab 4x4 last spring for Morgan before she got her license.

Well she hates driving the truck. She says she wished I would have kept the old one lol.

Anyhoot I will be buying her a car in a few months once her rehab improves on her arm and her doctor clears her to drive.

I am getting the new Jeep Wrangler truck this year when it rolls out but I want to keep the dodge I only paid 1500.00 for it and it has a 360 motor. I put aggressive dual purpose tires on it and they should perform well on our dirt roads we have.

I want to keep it at our lease as a second vehicle and use it to haul firewood, maybe stands, or if we decide to ride the bike to camp and spend a weekend we will have a backup vehicle?

I am thinking of taking bed liner and painting this truck. Its really just for shits and giggles nothing else. but I am hoping that it just jeeps the truck lasting maybe a extra 3 years or so?

I have seen roll on and paint on bed-liner before and I know they come in a ton of colors so I was just wondering if any of you have used it and how did it hold up. If my math is correct I should be able to bed liner the whole body for around $400.00

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

10-Mar-17
Kelly, my son has an older Cherokee that he painted with bed liner. I seems to hold up well. You have to be careful not to spray it on to thick as it will sag.

10-Mar-17
Rooster am I in the ball park on price to paint? Its a truck so I am thinking since I will not be painting the actual bed it should have close to same surface area as a Cherokee perhaps a tad bigger but not much.

I did see a 2016 Jeep wrangler 4 door in downtown Loveland built to hell and back and he had the entire exterior sprayed with actual Linex. Me and my buddies were thinking it had to cost around 4k to have that put on a brand new Jeep. That is something I have thought about when I get the Jeep truck.

10-Mar-17
There are some companies that specialize in coating new vehicles.The ones I know of have been like what you are wanting.The only thing I have heard is make sure and do the prep work and that it adds alot of weight

10-Mar-17
Very Heavy and expensive. Check out the paint by John Deere... Blitz Black. It's cool stuff, almost a textured orange peel look to it. I painted a Harley with it and it turned out great! Be sure to use the hardener!!!

Scar.

10-Mar-17
Kelly - There are some single component industrial coatings that will be much less expensive, more user friendly, lighter and easier to maintain. Shoot me a PM if you want. I'm a coatings guy.

10-Mar-17
Rick PM sent.

This is the kind of info I've been looking for. I would have never given added weight a thought

10-Mar-17
When I ran over the first deer this year with my truck.... The Body shop rather than touching up my 2-tone paint asked if I would rather have bedliner (shiny textured black) applied to the bottom color of my truck- since I primarily use my truck for guiding, hunting, and using my truck-camper on it, I went ahead and had them do it.

It was actually cheaper than having them re-blend the black paint job on my truck and it is holding up really well- tough as nails and I'm thrilled with it.

10-Mar-17
I saw a pickup over in Vernal, Utah that had the complete job done on it. I thought it looked sort of red necky! However, I had an older Dodge that had a terrible paint job so I did the rocker panels with black bed liner. It turned out great.

10-Mar-17
I did it in '98 to my first truck. I thought it was cool lol

10-Mar-17
Kelly, too bad you weren't here in Az. I know the owners of a company called Line-X. that's stuff is indestructible. They painted a whole jeep and took it to our expo . Mark who is 6' 2" around 250 lbs was standing on a Styrofoam ice chest turned upside down with His Line-X painted inside and out. pretty impressive stuff.

10-Mar-17
GotBowAZ uMMMMM

I can be there when I get the new Jeep Wrangler pickup

10-Mar-17
Blitz Black works great. Doesn't need primer and you can can probably do the whole truck for less than $75.

10-Mar-17
OK, so can the John Deere... Blitz Black be washed like a regular car? Or does it hold dirt like a bed liner would?

10-Mar-17

JacobNisley's Link
Drive past a Line-x shop every day and he has a small pickup totally covered. It looks kind of cool but I like the textured, matte finish look. I'll throw in a link of a cool video of guys playing with this product.

10-Mar-17
It can be washed just like a regular truck. It is not bed liner, but it is tuff stuff! doesn't grab dirt like bed liner/ rubberized materials. I have used a pressure washer on it with no ill effects. the nice thing is it's super easy to touch up if it gets scratched and it hides dings and dents pretty good.

Scar.

10-Mar-17

GhostBird's embedded Photo
GhostBird's embedded Photo
Here is my hunting buddy's Bronco with bed liner. I have no idea of the cost, it was part of a total rebuild.

10-Mar-17
Unless you want to "Mopar" a regular Jeep Wrangler, my guess is that you won't have a Jeep pickup in 2017. In fact, you may be waiting until 2020 for production.

10-Mar-17
Just be careful as to uv ratings and such. I've seen guys do it here and in a year or two the sun really messes with it, fading and such. You don't notice it as bad when it's your dirty beat up truck bed. Pretty noticeable on the hood and fenders. But we get a good bit of intense sun. Maybe holdup better on the mainland.

PS, I know a black one that gets hot as hell inside and ALWAYS looks dirty. It's a dust and dirt magnet. Son of a gun to clean. I know a few guys who have done it.... not many that are happy with it.

10-Mar-17
^^ bronco looks badass!

10-Mar-17
Just remember with these kinds of coatings that isocyanates are not your friend. They are very nasty. Some are extremely nasty.

Methyl isocyanate was the chemical that was released in the Bhopal disaster.

At the very least, wear a bunny suit, gloves, spray hood and a NIOSH organic vapor respirator. Do not let some goober tell you it's unnecessary.

10-Mar-17
That Bronco is too nice to spray it with bed liner. That truck deserves a real paint job. Blitz is easy to clean, UV tolerant and doesn't need waxing. I wouldn't put on nice newer vehicle but it looks good on older cars and trucks.

10-Mar-17

MathewsMan's embedded Photo
MathewsMan's embedded Photo
Here is what the bedliner sprayed on the bottom of my truck looks like. I live on a dusty dirt road and it can adhere to it more than if it was paint, but it also is super easy to spray off with a garden hose. I can also blast it with a car spray wash with no ill effects. It will definitely not scratch or rust like the metal would have-

10-Mar-17
Kota I heard they would be released in September

10-Mar-17

kota-man's Link

10-Mar-17

kota-man's Link

10-Mar-17
I painted the bottom 3rd of my Jeep with rattle can bedliner from Autozone. Looks good, tough and was like $10 to do the job. Prolly coulda painted the entire rig for 25-30

10-Mar-17
Sorry Kelly - the Wrangler Pickup wont be out until late 2019 and it would surprise me if it wasn't until 2020+.

Better think up a plan b....

10-Mar-17

maxracx's embedded Photo
1998 Dodge Ram 2500
maxracx's embedded Photo
1998 Dodge Ram 2500
maxracx's embedded Photo
maxracx's embedded Photo
Kelly, last Spring I found a guy who owned a dedicated plow truck. It is a 1998 Ram 2500 with a Hiniker V-plow. The truck had only been used in the winter months and the plow had never been taken off since it was installed in 1998. Needless to say the rockers and doors were very rusty but mechanically the truck was in great shape. I ended up buying the truck for $2500. Oh, forgot to mention it only had 23000 miles. I took it to a good friend who did body work for a living with the thought of filling in the rust spots and spraying those spots over with Line X. After he got about a week into the project he called and asked if he could use my truck as a guinea pig. I said sure why not. About a month later he called and said the truck was done. When I arrived I walked right past my truck. He had sprayed the entire truck with Line X. Head to toe!!! When I dropped it off it was white. When I picked it up it is black. I get more comments about how cool it looks. Every now and again my 17 yr old daughter will have to drive it to school and all the guys in her class think it is awesome!! It was not cheap but I think the body will last longer than I will.

10-Mar-17
Tacklebox - did you have to sand and prime too?

10-Mar-17
Well shoot, I did not have a plan B lol

Hmmmmmmmmm

11-Mar-17
Ok plan b set in motion!

There is a place here in Cincinnati off of Mostellar road where I can buy new bottom of exterior door shins and rocket panels already primered.

I am going to cut out the bad and weld in the new stuff then just bed liner the bottom like MathewsMan did on his truck.

I've been wanting to buy myself a welder for a while now. Hmmmm perfect excuse lol

Cost of body parts should be 325.00

11-Mar-17

bigeasygator's embedded Photo
I've been thinking about doing this in a on my truck. I like the ones that are tinted tan. Here are a few photos of some I've seen online that I liked.

11-Mar-17

11-Mar-17

11-Mar-17

11-Mar-17

11-Mar-17
Anyone want to share how much $$$it was to Line x your trucks? I was tossing the idea around.

13-Mar-17
"Tacklebox - did you have to sand and prime too?"

Yes and no... I taped everything off that wasn't getting shot and lightly sanded with 220 on a DA. Because I essentially only sanded off the top stuff I didn't shoot a new primer as it was basically already there. Wiped everything down with IPA wipes and gave er a couple nice wet coats. Tough stuff, I've used the Rustoleum a lot lately and every time something comes off the jeep the newly exposed area gets shot. (think undercoat) My aftermarket bumper got the same treatment and if the overall paint wasn't so decent I'd do it all in a heartbeat and most likely eventually will.

13-Mar-17
Not to add bowhunting to this truck thread lol, but paint/spray bed liner on the steps of your ladderstands. Quiets them down, gives great traction, and ice and snow are no longer issues.

13-Mar-17

AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
I did this to my Scout II in 1997 and it held up very well. Sold it last year but it never showed any Arizona Racing Stripes (brush scratches) and I never babied it off road. The Urethane polymer I used was called Speedliner, made by Industrial polymers in Texas. Their urethane is the toughest on the market and has UV protecting ingredients. I had to rough sand down everything to almost bare metal, mask off everything, spray it with their undercoat primer, then used a drywall hopper to apply the two part polymer plus 4oz of pigment/gal. I used 3 gallons total and it hardens in hours and cured in a couple days. I also coated the entire inside with it as well. A lot of work for sure with all the masking and prep. Also the overspray on that is quite PERMANENT.

13-Mar-17

AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo

13-Mar-17
I'm curious like EarlyRiser... anyone having done the LineX; how much did you spend? I've got a truck that I love and want to have it repainted.

13-Mar-17
Funny story.... Years back, I wold stop & visit an elderly fellow, an uncle of a friend. He was an interesting character, a coon hunter, deer hunter, trapper, etc. Well, he had an old International Scout with the small truck bed.

So, one day I pull up and the Scout is looking prettier than it had ben with a new green color. So I asked him, "you painted the Scout?" He says "yeah, got paint from xxx that the Town was going to discard." I asked - you spray it?" He replies, "no, roller!" LOL

>>>>-------->

13-Mar-17
AZ's Scout isn't just a Scout..... it's a Super Scout. Was that a factory SS or a conversion? Beautiful rig.

I have a SS grill coming soon for my scout ,but gonna keep the steel doors. The brushmaster fender flares I have already. I was told some time ago if I was getting body parts for it, get them from AZ, no rust. Or comparatively no rust. Mine came with the factory pre-rust option. Have rag top from softtopper so I could throw away the steel top. Replaced the windshield frame, rear corners, rockers (replaced with 3x3 sq tubing) body mounts, hood and almost done with the new(er) grill frame. A couple body patches to weld in and pretty soon it will all be one color!

Running gear pretty much done, a spring over with a cut and turn on the axles (the spring lift was way too stiff and not really enough lift, went with the spring over and stock springs.) Reverse shackle. 33" MT Baja Mudders, not too big, not too small. Have a lockright locker in the front and saving for an ARB in the rear. A TBI fuel injection conversion sitting in the garage. Carbs are terrible at angles and suck going from sea level to 10,000 feet..... it's my daily driver too..... =D

I'm a scoutaholic......

14-Mar-17
Kelly, buy the welder and do the body panels. I bought a welder a few months ago and have been having a great time with it...

14-Mar-17
Eddie/Surfbow

I have been watching craigslist and the App LetGo for a killer deal on a welder.

Then as stated above if I REPLACE THE BALL JOINTS then she should be running like new.

I thought this truck had higher miles but when I looked this morning it only has 135,000 miles on it.

If I replace the ball joints and cut out the bad rust and replace this truck will be called PLAN B truck lol.

I will use it as a daily driver until the Wrangler Truck comes out whatever year that may be? This Truck only gets 11MPG so that sucks but if the weather is good I am always on my Street Glide and it gets around 38mpg

14-Mar-17

AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
Raptor 2010
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
Raptor 2010
Tom, it was a conversion. Did all the work myself. I was also a Scoutaholic!! I miss mine a lot but this has been a decent replacement. At least a whole lot more comfortable!

15-Mar-17
Those are some bad ass vehicles and they look great.

Good luck, Robb

17-Mar-17

DeerHunter2000's embedded Photo
DeerHunter2000's embedded Photo
My old bumper was bedlined by a local body shop, turned out pretty nice, but it was always hard to keep clean.

17-Mar-17
Ghost bird,that bronco is nice,I had an old 79 Cherokee I sprayed thinned rustoleum on .wasn't too bad.the bow in the window made the jeep look better.

20-Mar-17

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Anyone have pix of that John Deere Blitz Black to share?

We had big wind here last week and blew over a hickory tree in my yard and unfortunately fell on my Mini Cooper (yeah, I own a Mini and a Smart car...8^))

Anyhow, most danmage is hood and windsheild, and thinking about canceling insurance claim and just replacing hood myself to keep insurance from raising and maybe trying the Blitz Black... I think it'd look cool on the Mini hood...8^)

20-Mar-17
Zbone,

The best way is to google Blitz Black Paint on Cars and then click on images. Tons of pictures! It would look really cool on a Mini!

Good Luck, Scar

20-Mar-17
I've seen it done. Seems to work ok

21-Mar-17
Thanks Scar...

21-Mar-17
Ouch. Mini and a smart car. The architect who built our home and then we bought it from had a Mini. Of course he had a M5 BMW and before that a Porsche Carrera Turbo-s.

21-Mar-17
The 350 diesel 4x4 is in the garage, right? A Hummer? =D

21-Mar-17
No TD, but I do have a Explorer SportsTrac truck...8^)

• Sitka Gear