pop-r 19-Mar-17
Bigdan 19-Mar-17
willliamtell 19-Mar-17
ELKMAN 20-Mar-17
pop-r 21-Mar-17
pop-r 19-Apr-17
donnybowhunter 26-May-17
13-Mar-17
all, after going through the regulations, and even going through most of the application process until i got stuck, and doing old searches, I'm still not sure exactly how to go about building some PP's or bonus points, to draw a LE unit in Montana.

I don't know exactly what unit i want yet(plan to start researching this year), just that i can't go this fall, but after that i am good to go. I just want to hunt an ok LE unit in MT a couple times in my life, as part of my plan to archery hunt elk every year going forward. All the other states have been straight forward but i got confused on Montana and what it was going to cost me in the end. I'm assuming that even though i can't go this year, i'd still be better off getting some type of of PP or bonus point so i didn't want another year to go by without getting a point.

Thanks,

Eric

13-Mar-17
ejg; i wouldn't do it. its expensive and not worth it. if u do it online its going to cost u some where around $300. if u decide to put in, don't put in for pp for( big game combo, elk combo, or deer combo). do buy the bp when u put in for deer and elk permit. go to mts website click on buy license, when u get to checking boxes, check deer permit, elk permit and big game combo. it will ask u later for your choices for deer and elk permit. be sure to check the boxes for bp.

13-Mar-17
It's a pricey point but you can always hunt a general unit if you don't draw. Apply for the hardest unit to draw and get your bonus point.

The nice thing about Montana is you always have a chance.

13-Mar-17
This year will be the 17th year Montana offers points for moose , sheep , and goats. I happen to have all 16 and probably will collect 17 shortly. That is maximum.

If I'm not mistaken , my odds of drawing are less than 1%. So if you apply ...... how much worse off are you? Basically your odds are as good as mine.

13-Mar-17
Isn't there something about if you don't draw what you applied for you can get a refund, or most of it, and still keep the point? Apply for a hard to draw unit and if you don't draw turn it back in?

14-Mar-17
When you apply for a refund you will only get back 80% of the license cost. That is why building points is very expensive if you chose not to hunt a general zone when you don't get your permit. Basically a point will cost you about 200 dollars a year.

14-Mar-17
There is no way to build points in Montana unless you actually buy the license.

14-Mar-17
Double post sorry

14-Mar-17
Ok thanks for the help I guess I was interpreting things correctly after all

14-Mar-17
Points in MT don't really mean that much. You just have your name in the drawing a few more times. Instead of 1 in 10,000 odds for the Elkhorns tag.......you could have 8 in 10,0000 odds or however many points you have. Kind of expensive for those kinds of odds. It's so random. I would save your money and buy pts in WYO and AZ. Much cheaper and after 5-6 years you are guaranteed to draw some decent tags. Hunt MT general over the counter, we have great OTC hunting.

14-Mar-17
The price of bonus points for elk in Montana stings a bit *IF* you turn the general tag back in for 80% refund. If you actually hunt elk on general tags, the bonus points don't cost you much $$$. I believe you have until August 1st to turn the general tag back in.....making Montana elk a great backup plan for those who strike out in the western LE draws.

14-Mar-17
ok that is good to to know, i really appreciate the advice. i'm planning in the future that in addition to a LE hunt or two in Montana, that it will likely also be one of two fall back states for me going forward. unfortunately my fall vacation is booked for this year so it won't be this year.

18-Mar-17
There are 2 sets of points in MT. The preference points are going to become very important in the near future. It's going to become a place very shortly (possibly even this year) where you'll only draw a general tag every other year & ONLY with that point you acquired from not drawing the previous year that will give you 2 points going into the draw. The bonus points....well surely they at least help your odds of drawing a limited entry unit.

19-Mar-17
I have 20+ points in too many states but was smart enough not to buy into MT's when they rolled it out. I just didn't like the deal, too expensive unless you have a general elk honey hole to use as backup if you fail elsewhere. I had no such place and when I finally tried some MT general units last year I was very glad I wasn't stuck with that on a regular basis. Pass on this one.

19-Mar-17
Pop-r, you think there won't be any leftovers this year? I'm skeptical, but maybe I'm missing something...

19-Mar-17
Don't waist your time. Our points are just "bonus" points. They mean almost nothing. I am max on everything that lives and breathes and I can't draw ANYTHING. JMO

19-Mar-17
Scoot,

In 2015, there were 1696 Big Game Combo and 2,086 Elk Combo leftovers.

In 2016, there were 1,308 Big Game Combo and 2,160 Elk Combo leftovers.

Only thing I can figure, pop-r anticipates the changes in Wyoming will have a significant affect on Montana in the "near future". Could be accurate? Maybe leftovers will disappear sometime down the road? That said, I'll need to see a major shift ...before dumping $50 on a Montana elk preference point.

19-Mar-17
Not sure this was made apparent, but your bonus points are squared to determine the number of entries you get in the draw. 2 bonus points = 4 entries. 5=25, so after a while it will add up, but by the time you get to 5 you have over $1100 invested if you don't actually hunt.

Only way MT makes sense is if you will hunt regardless if you draw the permit or not. Paying for preference points is a complete waste since they don't sell out the licenses now. That could change, but probably not until they figure out some of the access issues.

19-Mar-17
Yes sir Scoot I just mean the load is increasing & it won't be long til there are no leftover big game combos. Traditionally you could get one of the tags left all the way into late bow season or even into ride season. Last year they were gone very shortly after becoming available. I'm not sure it'll happen this year but by next I'd look out!

19-Mar-17
You never want to buy the $50 Perfrence point for and elk tag you want to only get the LE bonus point that helps when you apply for a limited unit like the breaks. It takes two to 3 years for a nonresident to draw a tag there but you do have a chance at drawing it any time you apply it will cost you about $200 a year if you return your elk tag. If you keep it you can hunt any of the general units in Montana. That is the best way in Montana to build LE bonus points. And you get to hunt elk every year while your waiting to draw a Limited tag

19-Mar-17
Montana doesn't make their process either easy to apply for or understood. As noted above, they have both "preference" and "bonus" points. As Bigdan noted, preference points are a waste of money, since everyone who applies gets a general tag. I don't think Montana is going to run out of general tags, because to my knowledge they set the price to roughly balance supply versus demand. If demand goes up, they could simply raise the general license costs until the supply/demand lines meet again. Right now the market is saying it is overpriced (and overly complicated to apply for) so there are more OOS licenses than hunters willing to apply. If a State like Wyoming does this (for example, for their oh-so-"special" licenses) expect to see their out of state costs escalate substantially.

20-Mar-17
If their smart they will. (And they are)

21-Mar-17
Never know when it'll be. O agree past logic says don't buy the point & i doubt it happens this year but it's coming I promise. I bought the point because I don't wanna miss out over $50.

19-Apr-17
There it is! Williamtell & scoot did y'all draw? Turns out that point isn't a waste afterall. Lol!

26-May-17
is the point system similar to Colorado ?

• Sitka Gear