Jaquomo 19-Mar-17
Woods Walker 19-Mar-17
deerslayer 19-Mar-17
brunse 21-Mar-17
Ben 21-Mar-17
theleo 23-Mar-17
Scar Finga 23-Mar-17
19-Mar-17
On my way home from Farm and Fleet today I took a back road where on this one corner there's a horse pasture where there's usually some horses and mules turned out. I saw there for the first time today an APPALOOSA MULE!

Now I've had and been around horses my whole life. I've seen and ridden a lot of Apps, but until today I'd never seen and App mule. But I guess they DO exist! Of course, there's no reason why they shouldn't, as a mule is a horse/donkey cross.

Anyone else have any experience with them? Or maybe had one?

19-Mar-17
I always want an Appy but my dad wouldn't let me get one.

I never ever have seen an Appy Mule!

Can ya get a pic to share without getting in trouble?

Thanks

Good luck, Robb

19-Mar-17

dakotaduner's Link
I know nothing about horses or mules but is this what your talking about

19-Mar-17
well link did not work but you can you tube it

19-Mar-17
lots of appy mules around,some are very loud colored some are not,the louder colored one get more attention but it dont make them better,good mules come from good mares,if your wanting a good one open your wallet,if your wanting a good loud colored mule open your wallet wide

19-Mar-17
Yep, I've had appys and mules but never an appy mule. Didn't want to pay extra for window-dressing.

An old rancher once told me the reason plains Indians rode appaloosas is because they were the only horse slow enough to catch on foot.. My best pack/riding horse ever was an appy-quarterhorse. He won five state amateur jumper championships for my wife and packed out whole elk for me.

19-Mar-17
If you you think about it though, they do come with their own camoflage.... ;-)

19-Mar-17
Sounds like a neat combo!

21-Mar-17
Funny you should ask. A small dude ranch owner I knew once bought an appy mule at the auction for $87.50. Named him eighty seven fifty. I don't recall exactly how the story went but something to this effect. On his first trip the mule broke loose went back to the trailhead. Again. Again. Again. After a half dozen setbacks the dude rancher ties up his horse, walks back down the trail and sees the mule topping a rise about 300 yards away. He boils over and starts shooting at him with his pistol til he's empty or can't see him anymore. Just as he is starting to get his composure, he hears something coming down the trail in a hurry. It's his spooked saddle horse that broke loose, runs past him and goes to catch up with the mule!!!

I heard the reason Indians rode apps was so when they got to the battle they were already mad enough to fight!!

21-Mar-17
Brunse, That was exactly what I was going to post but, you beat me to it!

23-Mar-17
I've been around some that were pack animals but never seen one I'd want to ride on. They're usually shorter and rounder than I like. If you want to see some good looking animals you need to search #mulesofinstagram on Instagram.

23-Mar-17
From what I remember, my buddies mule is part appy... the thing is half mountain goat for sure! Not sure if the appy part makes a difference, but he rides it more than he rides his horse.

Scar.

• Sitka Gear