Sitka Gear
East Coast Hogs-how far north with dogs?
Hogs
Contributors to this thread:
Kiteman@work 20-Mar-17
Fuzzy 20-Mar-17
Kiteman@work 20-Mar-17
Fuzzy 20-Mar-17
Kiteman@work 20-Mar-17
Kiteman@work 20-Mar-17
Kiteman@work 20-Mar-17
Fuzzy 21-Mar-17
Kiteman@work 21-Mar-17
Fuzzy 22-Mar-17
Fuzzy 22-Mar-17
TD 22-Mar-17
Fuzzy 22-Mar-17
Scar Finga 22-Mar-17
Fuzzy 24-Mar-17
Fuzzy 24-Mar-17
bb 24-Mar-17
Fuzzy 27-Mar-17
HighLife 27-Mar-17
Kiteman@work 27-Mar-17
Fuzzy 27-Mar-17
Kiteman@work 27-Mar-17
WV Mountaineer 27-Mar-17
Fuzzy 28-Mar-17
Kiteman@work 31-Mar-17
Kiteman@work 31-Mar-17
Fuzzy 31-Mar-17
20-Mar-17
Love runnin' the hogs with the dogs, but would like to find a place closer to my South Jersey home. Clarkrange is an 11+ hour drive we've made a few times, but just wondering if there's good hog/dog hunting further north that would be an easier trip for me and my motley crew. Thanks in advance for any good info.

20-Mar-17
If you want a real Southern Hound Hog hunt, do the drive to CR. It's worth it.

20-Mar-17
Understood....as I said, been there a few (3) times. Just looking for something closer.

20-Mar-17
try Mountain Meadows in Greenville WV

20-Mar-17

20-Mar-17
Will look into that, thanks (not sure why the "understood" post doubled up)

20-Mar-17
Looked up Mountain Meadow; didn't see anything on size of property. Anyone familiar?

21-Mar-17
I've been there a couple times. They have several "pastures" with the elk, bison, fallow, semi tame hogs etc. then a really rough steep hardwood mountainside with true feral hogs. Talk to Brandon, he is very honest and personable. He will tell you straight up what he has, and how he works his hunts.

21-Mar-17
Ok Fuzz; thanks. How big a piece of land would you estimate the mountainside to be? Just curious.

22-Mar-17
maybe 200 to 300 acres

22-Mar-17
Mountain Meadow has a great lodge, but if you decide to go with a day trip hunt to save the $$ you can crash at my place, use my skinning shed and butcher tools, grinder, etc. It's only about an hour away from me.

22-Mar-17
"you can crash at my place, use my skinning shed and butcher tools, grinder, etc. "

Only on the bowsite can you get an invitation like that from a total stranger...... and consider takin' him up on it..... =D

22-Mar-17
:)

22-Mar-17
TD,

That is very true, I just opened my door up to Shiloh after a Smoking Deal on some Lowa boots! that's the way it should be.

Scar.

24-Mar-17
I've had very good experiences with Bowsiters over the years.

24-Mar-17
I've had very good experiences with Bowsiters over the years.

24-Mar-17
Yeah but Fuzzy, you're easy, All I had to do was throw a couple more strands of hay out in the dog house and you were fine.

27-Mar-17
true enough Brian, but I didn't 'spect no better from a Yankee ;)

27-Mar-17
Don't forget how he likes his ears scratched. So cute the way he starts rolling around like a big puppy LOL

27-Mar-17
Wow--just checked back in--THANKS for the gracious offer, Fuzzy! Before I go on a hunt there, I'd just like to get a better picture of what it would be like, compared to the hogs/dogs hunts I've been on at Clarkrange.

27-Mar-17
I honestly am not sure, with regards to the hounds. I have only hunted spot and stalk there. Brandon can tell you more, and if you want I can even see if he's ok with it, and try and run over and see if he will let me follow along a bit and see how it goes, then let you know. There are worse things to do on a Saturday :)

27-Mar-17
Once again, Fuzzy-- thanks for your generous offer. It would certainly be interesting to get a first hand report...I was just hoping someone who'd been there for a dog hunt would chime in.

27-Mar-17
I've cruised the timber to the south side of the original Mountain Meadows. Mountain Meadows ended up buying that 400 acres. Their property line used to run the ridge line. They acquired another whole intermediate watershed. If I remember correctly, there is about a 1000 foot elevation change from the bottom to the ridge. In a straight plot line, there were 9 plots spaced 198 feet apart from the center of the watershed to the ridge line fence. That's an average of 56% slope. So, it has it's steep, rocky bluff areas mixed in there. I don't know if they have had time to build a fence around that area though. So, do as Fuzzy said and call them. If they have and are using it for hog hunting, you and the dog's will earn any porker you get. Good luck and God Bless

28-Mar-17
Justin, the wooded 50% plus slope is the area I hunted this January. It's rough country indeed. I'm hesitant to give advice on the hound hunting there as I have not done it. My impression of Brandon is that he will give you an accurate and honest representation of what he has for dogs and houndsmen. A few Pertinent questions are 1) How many hounds do you run? 2) How many of those are experienced on hog? (ie: have been run regularly on hog for at least two years) 3) Do you use head-dogs or rely only on the hunter getting to the bay and making the shot(s) 4) How many experienced back-up hounds do you have for replacement in case of injury and/or fatigue? 5) How experienced are your houndsmen?

As I said, I'd be glad to check in for you so I can give my impression, but it has to be soon, if you're planning to go this spring. It's soon going to be too hot to run hounds on hog in that terrain. It's man-killing/dog-killing country up in there.

31-Mar-17
Thanks for the great responses. I'll let you guys know when I talk to Brandon. I probably won't make it there this spring, but possibly fall or early next spring. Fuzzy, if you're in the neighborhood and witness the dog action, let us know, and again, thanks for the offer!

31-Mar-17

31-Mar-17
I sure will :)

• Sitka Gear