6x6 bull 29-Mar-17
Linecutter 29-Mar-17
6x6 bull 29-Mar-17
meatus 30-Mar-17
mattandersen 31-Mar-17
BULELK1 01-Apr-17
greenmountain 01-Apr-17
21-Mar-17
So I just turned 36 years old and am having a partial knee replacement in May. I am very young for this I know. I've had a bum knee since I'm 15 so more than half my life. It's held me back in many aspects of my life. Over the last year it's gotten way worse to the point where I have a horrible and noticeable limp and it hurts just about all the time. I used my 4 wheeler a lot more than usual this past fall. Still had a great season! Just looking for comments from guys that have had partial or full replacements and to hear how they are doing. How long did they hold up, the kind of abuse you put them through etc. I'm definitely nervous but more excited to be hopefully pain free! Thanks!

21-Mar-17
I've not had one but a buddy (57) had one last October and is going skiing at Big Sky, MT this weekend. My brother who is now 68 had one 6 years ago and has said multiple times, "its the best thing I've ever done!"

you have youth on your side in terms of a relatively quick and complete recovery...good luck and keep us posted!

Mark

21-Mar-17
I am 72 now and had a total knee replacement done in March 2015. I had constant pain and instability afterwards and this past January had revision surgery done. The plastic spacer was replaced with a thicker one ( 10mm to 12 mm ) in hopes it would tighten up the knee. So far it seems about the same. The most important thing I have found out is the difference in brands of devices used. My surgeon used a brand that had a smooth top on the plastic spacer, which allows the top metal portion of the implant to slide around, causing the instability. Another surgeon in the same office used a different brand ( Striker ) that has small pockets in the top of the plastic spacer, which give the top metal portion of the implant something to sit down into and give the joint more stability. So, do as much research as possible before the surgery.

21-Mar-17
A lot depends on the surgeons skill just like hunters not all are created equal. I have not had my knees done but have been told they need to be. My surgeon said it is better to have a full replacement done even if one side is ok ya should get the whole knee done. Scooby

21-Mar-17
Decide where you will get your PT done and then ask them who the best knee doc is, they see it all and the doctor makes a HUGE difference in recovery.

21-Mar-17
Really Scooby? I was told a partial is way btr if even an option. It allows you to keep your MCL/ACL/meniscus etc and that what God gave you is way btr than what a doc can give you. Apparently I have one of the best doctors in Pittsburgh, but everyone seems to think they have the best doc...the few people I have spoke with that have had one seem to be very happy and said I'll feel the same. Thanks for the comments guys. Talking to a PT about docs is a great idea!

21-Mar-17
Had both knees replaced on November 28 and I am 61. I had been getting a shot in each knee about every three months for the better part of three years in hope of trying to make it to age 62 with full retirement. In June my lower back started going into spasms and I was laid up for almost 2 months. My doctor told me that I was compensating for my bad knees and it was time to get it done. My doctor had me riding a recumbent exercise bike daily and doing leg lifts and chair sits to build my strength and loosen up my back muscles. Kind of like pre-hab. Best thing I have ever done and I should have done it sooner. Was up using a walker less than 2 hours after leaving recovery. Surgery was on Monday and I was at home by 1:00 pm on Wednesday. 2 weeks at home with the walker then used a cane for a week. I kept the cane with me for another week whenever I went out as a "safety" measure. Had a therapist come to my house 5 days a week for three weeks then started out-patient therapy twice a week for 3 weeks. Doing the therapy properly and regularly is the key. It is not fun, especially at first, but it pays off! I've been to the woods a half dozen times looking for sheds and I am doing yard work and the usual daily chores and I have been hitting the gym 3 days a week for about a month now. Going to a 3D shoot this coming Saturday. Do what your doc and therapist tells you to do and you should be fine. Good luck!

21-Mar-17
2nd the go ask your soon to be PT who he'd send family to and you'll have your answer. There are certain surgeon's I love sending people to, and others I wouldn't send my worst enemies to. I would attempt to get the hemi as well, the extra stability your major ligaments can give you is better than a total and in my experience thus far rehab generally goes a little better with higher outcomes following.

21-Mar-17
I work as a forester and before surgery I could walk a mile at the most before I was in to much pain to go on. I had a limp and walk like an old man according to my wife, Ibuprofen a knee brace and injections kept me going. I had a total knee replacement when I was 56 and a hip replacement when I was 57. Six months after the knee I went on my annual 12 day canoe trip in the BWCAW and was better then before surgery. I haven't looked back and feel great. Make sure you let the PT and your doctor know what your goals are after the surgery and then stick with the rehab. Also get in the best shape you can before surgery. My PT push me hard and I also went the full two months of rehab my insurance allowed because the PT knew what my goals where and the added time got me there. Good Luck

21-Mar-17
Replacements are great until they get infected. My father, who is a retired surgeon, went to the best doctor in the country for his hip replacement. The surgeon did George W's knee replacement, for example. He was climbing stairs less than 2 hours after surgery. It was all great until the infection set-in. 4 total surgeries, a PICC line for 6 weeks, an antibiotic spacer, the list goes on. It almost killed him.

Be sure to inquire about the infection rates. These "super bugs" are nothing to screw with and you need to take this into consideration.

21-Mar-17
I'm 71 now and have had both knees totally replaced - best thing I ever did, climbing the mountains again and can even handle the shale better than I could before. No problems. In my book the key is your physical therapist - they are the ones that get 'er done.

21-Mar-17
they can go in there and scope it , clean up the rough and cut nerves , that and a brace is what I did . brace works great . keeps my knee from coming out of joint. glad I did not get another surgery on my knee. Damage was from total dislocate , tib fracture , torn all ligaments off , torn calf , and torn gluttious , in 1986. 6 months cast and crutches.

21-Mar-17
Matt. I have been reading bowsite for years. This is the first time I have ever registered or posted. I had a partial knee replacement last March. One year on the 29th. I injured my knee (torn meniscus) skiing when I was 22. Lived with it for 12 years and eventually had my knee scoped to "clean up" the torn parts. This did not help at all. When I was 48 I went to WVU Joint replacement center. The surgeon told me to wait a couple of years. I am now 50. Still young for a replacement. My surgeon told me then to not let anyone ever stick another scope in my knee. He said if you need surgery you need surgery. In other words scopes are how "bone jockeys" make money. He also said that with a total replacement you loose you ACL. He said that since I was a hunter not having an ACL would make walking on uneven terrain difficult. In all honesty the first two weeks of recovery were the worst two weeks of my life. I have a new definition for pain! What I used to call pain is now discomfort. However, I am now pain and discomfort free. Like yourself I had developed a limp and I was in constant pain. I would do it all over again it has been worth it. Fight through the stiffness and pain during PT and you will do great. You will have to be careful with infection the rest of your life. I have to take 4 antibiotics just to get my teeth cleaned. I am not supposed to run, or engage in risky behavior. So it is a new normal. By the way. Anyone who would go downhill skiing after a knee replacement needs to see a psychiatrist that is just foolish!

22-Mar-17
Right at 3 months for me, it's been a bit more pain than I expected but it's also getting better by the day. I had a PT at hospital say the first 2 months you won't like your doc next 2 months you will kind of like your doc and the next 2 months you will love your doc. I am getting closer to loving my doc, just need him to quit sending me those bills!

22-Mar-17
Matt, I'm a PT just a little east of you in the Johnstown/Altoona area. A partial (unicondylar) knee is the way to go with someone your age. You are right that keeping as much of your anatomy as possible is a good way to go. Also, the partial allows a quicker recovery and better overall motion than the full. You will likely face having a total knee done at some point in your life, but for now, the partial likely is the best option and will allow you to be more active than if having a full replacement. Work hard at your PT post-op as it is nearly as important as the surgery itself. As some have noted above, not every surgery turns out as you'd like, but this one has a very high success rate and you should get excellent results. Best of Luck.

22-Mar-17
Thanks again to all that replied. I have had 6 scopes on my knee and 2 other bigger surgeries on it totaling 8...I agree with the statement, "don't let doctors go in there for a scope!" It's funny my doc said I could do some moderate downhill skiing after I'm healed! I couldn't believe it! I miss skiing a lot as I did a good deal of it growing up. I don't know if it is the best idea either...a friend recommend a great PT so I just called to set up an appt, pick his brain and get some good pre surgery workouts. I'll already know him for when post surgery PT begins. I am aware of the infections that could occur and the antibiotics I'll need to take for the dentist. I'll even get a card to carry for when going through metal detectors! haha Because of my age, I was passed around to several doctors. They all agreed I am a candidate for a replacement, they just said, "you need the best dr" it was frustrating but I appreciate their honesty. I'm glad as of now, I can get away with a partial as ridgerunner said, keeping your ACL is key. May 16th is d day. I am trying to get in the best shape pre surgery but it's hard/painful as simply putting on a pair of socks is painful, standing in the shower is painful, certainly walking/standing and working out is painful..I am so ready for this. Hearing from guys that have had em done and are feeling great is really an inspiration!

22-Mar-17
If you can tolerate it try riding a stationary bike. Building your strength before surgery will help with your recovery. I agree with John. You won't like your doctor at first. My doctor is now one of my favorite people on the planet. I think you will do great. My doctor said I could do recreational skiing. I haven't yet and don't know if I will. Best of luck and please let us know how you are doing.

22-Mar-17
Thanks Ridgerunner, I do a lot of biking. I did a spin class last night actually! Real biking (on a road) has gotten rather painful..I love road riding and have been known to go for 60, 70 and 100 mile rides! It doesn't bother me at all stationary. I am looking forward to seeing what other exercises the PT recommends. Thanks again and I'll keep you updated afterwards! I certainly should be ready to chase big Ohio bucks again this fall!

22-Mar-17
57 now, had a total knee done at 52. Best thing I ever did (besides LASIK). Could barely get up the driveway before, now I'm deadlifting 400 lbs and hiking wherever I please!

22-Mar-17
had my knee replaced 4 years ago. since then i've packed out 2 elk, a bear and have not had any problems. It used to be after about a hour or hour and a half I would have to stop for advil. now I can go all day without. I thought going in that at 54 I am just too young. Best thing I ever did. Great doctor, Great PT. Just go into this with the mindset of REHAB....REHAB, REHAB, REHAB

22-Mar-17
I have had both a left and right partial knee replacement, and a total knee replacement of the right one. The only reason I had the total done was because I developed a Bakers Cyst behind my right knee. Not sure what prosthetic your doctors uses, but the ones I have and had put in are a Oxford Uni-knee. I have had no problem with the prosthetic at all and I wouldn't have the right one redone if it weren't for that blasted cyst. Having those partial knees done was the best choice I could have made. I had one done and 6 weeks later had the second one done. You are not supposed to run with them but you can do all the walking/hiking/climbing you want. Mine has a nylon bushing that if it wears out, it will be a simple procedure to pop out the old bushing and put a new one in. Do what your doctor and therapist tell you and you should have no problems. Having said that and being a nurse, there is ALWAYS a chance of infection with any kind of surgery and some possible nerve damage so be aware of it and ask your doctor for the signs and symptoms of infection. I have a little numbness in my toes occasionally due to the surgery, but nothing to worry about. Also you will really need to work on extending and flexing the knee joint. Yeah it is not going to be comfortable but you have to do it. If you don't you will pay for it in the long run. It takes about a year for all the swelling to completely go away and to where you hardly realize you had the procedure done. DANNY

22-Mar-17
Love reading all these posts! I know not everything always goes as planned but it's still encouraging to read! Longbeard dead lifting 400lbs!? Dang!

22-Mar-17
Got my right one done June 2, 2014. It was bowed out so bad from arthritis that the doc told me I couldn't stop a pig in a ditch. He used a Stryker, and it's been great. Took a month off from work, did double the rehab they wanted at home and went to PT as long as the insurance covered it. No problem elk hunting by Sept.

I really don't recall that much pain, just had to be careful getting around with a walker for a short time, taking care in the shower, etc. It also takes about two years to completely forget you had it done. Doc said no running. You do have to relearn where your foot is, because of the separation of the bones.

23-Mar-17
I'm 69 and knees are find, but most of the people I am around are my age and older. Quite a few knees being replaced.

All say they waited too long. Best friend is getting his done soon. He is in a pretty intensive muscle building program before surgery. At 79 he still hunts deer and elk and his walking was getting tough.

Doesn't seem to matter whether it's knees, hips, or shoulders, all the doctors seem to emphasize being as strong as possible before surgery.

23-Mar-17
They have wanted to replace my left knee for quite a while. What replacement knee brand is the best for SUPER active lifestyles?

23-Mar-17
Elkman,

You need to ask your Orthopedic Doctor that question, not the people here. Most don't know what type of prosthetic they had put in them. I know what the Partial Knee I had put in is called because the Ortho guy I go I have known for years and explained why he used it instead of others. What he put in as a Total Knee Replacement I couldn't tell you. I will tell you, you want to find someone who has a lot of experience with the prosthetic they use so they know its history. Don't know I would want to be one that the doctors has only done 20 or 30 of a particular prosthetic especially if it is a new one on the market unless I didn't have any other choice. Whether we like it or not issues arise at times with what is the latest and greatest now, it may not be found to be so down the road. It can be a coin toss with new stuff. I have seen it more than once in the medical profession. As an example Ceramic Hip replacements they have found they weren't all what they were cracked up to be. DANNY

k

23-Mar-17
I had a Double Total knee replacement on Veteran's Day of 2015...I was 56 at the time...I know the topic is about a partial. Best thing I ever did. The Doc I chose...all he does is knees.

Went Out West last year, no problems at all. Pain free golf as well.

24-Mar-17
Thanks Windlaker, doesn't matter partial/total. Just looking to hear from guys that have had em done. Glad you're feeling good. Trying to find out what kind of prosthetic my doc is using. Waiting to hear back from dr assistant....

24-Mar-17
Linecutter: Wouldn't be better to be asking the PTs on here? They are the ones that deal with the after math, and see more of the extended results???

24-Mar-17
Nope, the Ortho Doc's see the long term results and issues of the prosthetics used more because they are the ones who do the follow ups visits long term, and if things start going south with the prosthetic the patient sees the doctor first to find out what is going on. The PT's see the patient for rehab from the surgery or "if" any rehab is ordered down the road because the patient has gone and seen the doctor first. Once the rehab is done the PT's are done. They can't work with the patient without a doctors order. The PT's also don't usually know what prosthetic is used for the replacement. Now they MIGHT know which of the doctor's patients they see in their facility have better results, that can be swayed though by patients age, health, doing what they are supposed to, and the determination of the patient. I can tell you for "me" the only therapy I had was in home therapy, I did not have to go to a facility for any rehab, for any of my 3 knee surgeries. The doctor knew I knew what I was doing and so did the PT's because all but the first one, the therapy was cut short because of my progress. DANNY

24-Mar-17
Before I would get a knee I would find out the hospital infection rate on knee surgeries. The rates vary but the price is usually the same.

24-Mar-17
Linecutter you are mostly correct, for which prosthetic to use, absolutely your orthopedist should be the one you ask about this; and after working at a facility for several years, it isn't just simple demographics and compliance with a home exercise program that decide patient results, obviously a huge factor, but in my opinion surgeon skill plays a huge roll as well. It's not shear luck that a majority of patients from XX surgeon generally get back to this level which maybe isn't ideal, while people who had surgeon YY all appear to do appreciably better and have better long term outcomes. We see these people in the community (maybe not bigger cities but I work in a hospital that serves 4000 population city), we know how they do generally long-term. Some surgeons are good, some are not, just as with PT's. I'm sure you did do fine in the long-term without PT, but most people are not orthopedic RN's aware of what the progression of a TKA or partial replacement consist of.

Only minor issue with your post is about PT's not being able to work with patients without a doctor's order. We have direct access in some way, shape, or form in all 50 states and the district of columbia, what that means is we don't not need a doctor's order to treat. With the change in degrees from a master to doctoral level this was long over-due to quit wasting trips and $$$ to see your primary doc before they eventually just end up sending you to PT anyway. Doctor's are still the life-blood of PT referrals, but slowly people are starting to realize that they don't need to see their doc first before heading to PT.

Most doc's when they send to PT, 95% of time the order is for evaluate and treat. Generally what this means is "I trust your judgment, perform what you need to do, and see them for as long as you think is appropriate". Occasionally they may have some type of treatment they want and put it on there, but that is a suggestion, I'm still going to treat as I see appropriate. No, you're not getting ultrasound even though the doc wants it.

PTArcher1 can chime in as well, but I'm guessing he will have similar things to say as myself.

Either way get the unicompartmental, go to PT, kick ass, hunt this fall!

24-Mar-17
Grossklw, Well said. I worked very closely with a several groups of orthopedic surgeons for the last 25 years. Most understand that they know best how to perform the surgery and PT's know best on how to perform the rehab. I am now a professor in a PT program. Our students are well prepared to see pts without the supervision of a physician, but it is still generally best to have all providers on the same team working together for the patient's benefit.

24-Mar-17
I got a partial about 15 years ago (60 at the time) It is an Oxford,very good. I had to put shots in my belly for 3 weeks following surgery. I do recommend it. I am 76 and still chase Elk

25-Mar-17
grossklw,

That is why I said you guys might know which doctors have better results, but again that is why I also said this can be influenced by the patients age, health, doing what they are supposed to, and their determination. I know of 3 individuals that because of what THEY didn't do they had poor results and ended up with a knee contracture where they can't fully extend their knees (I know you know what a contracture is, not everyone does). As you well know this has nothing to do the physicians capabilities. This was because two of them sat with their legs bent for hours at a time when they weren't supposed to. A friend of mine's excuse was during his rehab phase, it hurt to bad to fully extend so therefore he didn't do his extension exercises as he should have . Another person I know his body's chemistry attack the cement that was used and broke it down causing a loosening of the prosthetic. Also another one, turned out they had an allergy to the metal used in their prosthetic. It won't hurt to find out if you have an allergy to the metal that is being used in the prosthetic for those of you planning on having a replacement, doesn't happen often but it does happen. So out comes are not always determined by the physicians capabilities.

As to the physicians capabilities yes there are those who do have much better techniques than others. For those of you reading this look at it this way, when you were in school there were those who graduated at the head of the class and those who towards the rear of the class. Not all physicians have the same capabilities even in the same specialties. Also remember the phrase: You can please most of the people most of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time. It is like the hospital I work for which is highly respected. I was at a deli buying meat with my scrubs on and ID badge. Girl behind the counter saw my badge and said, you work there, that is such a wonderful hosital and has done so much for my family. Then another employee came up and the first one said he works at XX Hospital the second one said, I would NEVER take my child or recommend anyone or take any of their family there, from one experiance. Sometimes it has to do with expectations. I imagine you as PTs have seen the same thing in your practices. DANNY

25-Mar-17
What do any of you know about cordizone shots in the knee. How many, how often, + & -. After I get shots my whole body feels good..

25-Mar-17
Left knee replaced 12/15. Relatively little swelling/pain and range of motion and extension came quickly with moderate pain during PT. Less swelling meant pt was less focused on forcing rom and more on strengthening. 120 deg by week 3 - 135 by week 12.

Right knee replaced a year later 12/15. Far more pain and swelling even with regular icing and elevation. Out patient pt started by day 14 with 80 deg flex on a swollen knee. Pt insisted on assisted flex to the point of intense pain - would swell greater for the next 24 to 36 hours with little/no increase. 2 weeks and 6 visits and had little progress - I became convinced they were hindering healing by extreme (painful) forcing flex that did not allow swelling to go down. So I went 6 days between visits (did daily exercises at home to discomfort but not pain) and swelling decreased noticeably - flex gained over 10 deg and extension hit 0. Went back and they wanted to force again and I let them. By next day swollen and lost 1/2 my gains. Fired them and continued at home. At 14 weeks I am within a couple deg of the 1st knee and swelling all but gone. This is major surgery and the tissue need to heal. Same surgeon for both - head of orthopedics at a major area hospital with 1000's of knees and hips done.

I joined a Facebook group for TKR patients - 1000's of members. By the stories it seems that immediate, aggressive PT for knee replacements is the norm in this country. Stories of needing extra meds to get thru PT for weeks are common. If you need meds for PT, they are not aiding in the healing. Research show the Mayo Clinic as well as Great Britain and most of the 1st world do little PT after knee replacements advocating for more gentile exercises to start with strength training farther down the road. And their 1 year recovery rate is equal to or greater to that of the immediate aggressive PT pushed here. Just my experience from the last 15 months. I would do it again if I had a 3rd knee, but would forgo all formal PT.

26-Mar-17
SteveBNY, Sorry you had a bad experience with your PT. Like it has been said above, there are good and bad in every profession. Please don't paint with such a wide brush. My experience is not the same as yours. Many can do their rehab independently if they have some common sense knowledge and a little guidance. Generally the younger one is and the more active they want to be post-op, the greater need for concentrated rehab. Glad things eventually worked out for you though.

27-Mar-17
"Anyone who would go downhill skiing after a knee replacement needs to see a psychiatrist that is just foolish!"

Not true! My dad had his knee replaced at the end of Dec by the best knee surgeon in Denver, PT went great, and he's allowed (encouraged, in fact) to ski April 1st.

27-Mar-17
SteveNY,

I am with PTArcher don't paint them all with a wide brush. I am assuming you have more than one place to do PT in your home town (maybe not). If so go to a different facility or have your doctor order home therapy. Talk to the physical thearpy company and find out how they treat those with knee replacements. They should talk to you to set up a plan of therapy. You know what you don't want from your experience. I can tell you "my" home PT was anything but "aggressive", the only aggressiveness was me with my exercises they gave me to do after they left. Those involved extension, flexion, walking forward and backward, balance, strengthening, plus one of my own for extension. They would encourage me push myself within my own pain tolerance, but they NEVER physically pushed my leg flexing or extending. They never really touched my leg unless they were measuring angles, showing me how to do an exercise, how to improve what I was doing, or helping me position my leg.

I'm not sure whether PTArcher would agree with me. I can tell any of you from my own experiance, the worst part of the pain post-op, is where they put the blasted tourniquet on the thigh. The pressure is placed on the inside part of the thigh, to control the bleeding during surgery. After three surgeries, the knee itself was the least of the pain. DANNY

27-Mar-17
Its 14 or 15 weeks today - 5 weeks going on my own and I doing very well. For the cost of 2 PT co pays, I have 3 months in a 24 hr day fitness center with a pool and 10 times the equipment available in any PT center within reasonable driving distance. Flex and extension are back and now I am focusing on strength and balance.

The hands off approach you where fortunate enough to have is a rarity in the 100's I communicated with personally and in the forums. Sounds much more like the Mayo Clinic approach and the rest of the 1st world. The one Facebook group with 5000+ members has 100's of posts weekly from people dreading their PT forced pain, taking meds to get thru it, and experiencing hands on, and forced bending and extension to the point of tears. There is a pervasive mantra both from PT and ortho's in the US that there is a race to get full flex back asap regardless and it starts hours after surgery. The more I research - and my personal experience with my 2nd knee - the more I believe this is not necessarily the case. Counter programs like those at Mayo and in the UK are having too much success to discount and anyone considering knee replacement needs to look at them.

27-Mar-17
I have to have both replaced. What would any of you recommend. Do both at once or one at a time. I am 54 soon to be 55.

28-Mar-17
So I found out they will be using a Stryker prosthetic. Met with a PT last night for the fist time. He said my knee is by far the worst knee he's seen in someone so young...but was surprised at the muscle I had with a knee so bad. He's got me doing some exercises to help strengthen the muscles around my knee and to help with my back and hip issues I have from limping. Thanks again for all the words of encouragement.

28-Mar-17
I personally do little to no manual therapy, with a total knee I do not perform any hands-on stretching of any type, I'd rather give you specific exercises to target end range flexion/extension with strengthening and balance thrown in as well. You are correct that some people can get along just fine without a PT, but there are a large majority that would not end up as functional as a few of these previous posts (remember most do not have adequate motivation factor and ability/desire to stay consistent with a home exercise program). I would venture there would be a few additional manipulations under anesthesia involved once a contracture sets in, but hey never going to any formal PT and being told this by your MD 8 weeks out is great right?!?!

PT isn't simply about the exercises/activities involved, it is just as important for evaluation of your progress based on where you're at in your rehab so we can relay that information to the MD (are you behind/ahead/something that needs immediate follow-up with MD)

And you do realize on a facebook page people are substantially more likely to go and post if they had a negative experience as opposed to a positive one. Think of it like this, you went to a fancy restaurant, food was pretty good, not amazing, and not terrible, but you did enjoy it; now you go to a similarly priced restaurant and the food is horrible, service was crap, and you hated it. Which restaurant are you more likely to go give a review to after the fact, the terrible one obviously? Would you bash the entire restaurant industry because of this bad experience, THAT is what your facebook group does to PT's by lumping them all in the same category and skill level. \

Screwball-Both at the same time is difficult, not impossible, but very very difficult. In my opinion I would space them 6-8 weeks apart and get them one at a time, but that's a discussion you need to have with your MD and PT.

28-Mar-17
Screwball,

A lot of people have been known to have them both done at the same time. BUT and this is a big BUT. We never want to hear the word infection, but it does happen from time to time. When you have both knees done at the same time "IF" you have an infection in one, you are more than likely to have an infection in the other. Then as my Orthopedic guy says "Then you literally won't have a leg to stand on." "I" would get them done individually as grossklw says about 6-8 weeks apart. YOU are the one who will make the ultimate decision if your surgeon would agree to do both. As I have said more than once you need to make a informed decision. You are getting a lot experienced advise in this thread and things to ask you surgeon about before you decide to have the surgeries and things to look at for PT afterwards. DANNY

28-Mar-17
Mattanderson, Look into the version my orthopedic uses. They scan your present knee with 3-D imaging. Then with the aid of a 3-D printer a "custom knee" is constructed. The advantage being the replacement is an exact fit. Recovery time is reportedly shortened by a couple weeks with this advancement. Previously they would simply pick a knee replacement closest to yours and make it work. This often required shaving away tissue and muscle in the process.

Good Luck Young Man! LaGriz

28-Mar-17
So they make an identical copy of your bad knee, seems there might be issues there

28-Mar-17
Johnson and Johnson Attune in mine. It's been around for about 2 years, they x-ray your knee right before the surgery and take measurements to get the correct fit. I am interested in the information I am hearing here as I had I think over aggressive therapy at the start by the in home patient therapist when I went to the outpatient therapy they were less aggressive. I spent 2 months with them and I am about 3 to 5 degrees short of straight. Now I am doing three days a week at gym and exercise at home. The therapist seemed to think I would get those 5 degrees back and have full extension.

28-Mar-17
Matt - who is your doc, out of curiosity?

28-Mar-17
Thanks to all for sharing. Any other thoughts and in put is appreciated. great stuff.

29-Mar-17
Full extension is one of the hardest things to get because of the hamstring muscles constantly trying to bend the joint. Most contractures are with the leg in the bent position. This is what "I" did on all three of my surgeries, not what I was told to do. I would set on the couch with my leg extended out and my heel resting on the coffee table flexing my quadriceps ( muscles on the top part of the thigh) about every 3-5 minutes, every 2 hours for about as long as I could stand it. Then put it back up on the couch, with the leg that had the surgery, against the back of the couch to keep it from rotating to far to the out side and a slight bend in my knee and ice on it. Worked every time, never had a issue with not having full extension, wasn't always the most comfortable thing to do, but it worked. DANNY

29-Mar-17
Has anyone had the procedure where they inject the concrete in the joint? Doc says that I need a total knee replacement or they could try the concrete. The doctor told me that my MRI of my knee looks like my meniscus is like a hamburger that has slipped out the side of the bun!

29-Mar-17
I have to admit that is something I have never heard of. There many products on the market, the one name I know is OrthoVisc. It is used to try and revive the cartilage of the knee (didn't work for me) it is supposed to made from the comb of a chicken. It is given in one or three injections. DANNY

29-Mar-17
Linecutter the concrete is something different. I had three injections of the chicken comb with little benefit. My great uncle had the concrete put in his spine with great results but I had never heard of it used in a knee before.

30-Mar-17
Had mine done at the age of 38 two years ago, a total replacement, best decision I ever made. As stated already you should consider a total not a partial. I am limited but that's ok, as you have experienced I also was in a lot of pain and discomfort from daily activities. You won't be running anymore which if you were a runner sucks but those are the breaks! I workout at the gym like a madman, the only cardio I can do is the bike. And yes not all surgeons are equal, find the best one in your area and get a consult, each doctor has a different med regimen they prescribe post surgery and depending on what route they go your pain will be minimal or excruciating, a good doc will go with a major pain killer like a Vicodin or Percocet along with muscle relaxers, others won't and the difference is astounding. Be diligent with your rehab, even if it seems like a dumb worthless movement you are doing it for a reason and it helps in the long run. I was back to work in less than 3 months and was climbing trees in the same year, the main obstacle I have to take my time with is going down hill. You will never have the power in that leg that you once did but the peace of mind and lack of pain/irritation you feel once it's healed makes it worth it. You will learn what you can and can't do. I highly suggest a total knee, getting a partial is just slapping a bandaid on it till you need a total done.

31-Mar-17
MY PT said the same thing regarding a full vs partial meatus...Although at my age, I am surely going to need another partial/full at some point. There is no way either would last the rest of my life assuming I live to be an old man no matter how careful I am. I guess there are pros and cons to both. Knowing I will need another replacement at some point, I feel the partial will benefit me because I'm keeping 75% of my knee including all my ligaments. This will help me as I hike around the woods in search of booners! I was never a runner so I surely won't miss that but do a lot of biking. Mostly I am more excited to be pain free and not hobble around like an 86 year old broken down man! Lagriz, I'm not sure if my doc uses that 3D printing method...sounds btr than a close match..this is exactly why I posted this thread. Not only does it give me hope hearing all the success but it raises a lot of good questions. Thanks again everyone!

01-Apr-17
I hope it all plays out well for ya.

Injuries/surgeries suck for sure.

Good luck, Robb

01-Apr-17
I have to chime in. I have had a few issues over the years and I am off to a new problem. From my experience the PT part of the process is as important if not more important than the surgery. Having said that PT is worthless if you don't do your part. I hope you work with a good physical therapist to get ready for the surgery, You may even get lucky and get good enough results to avoid the knife. You will be much more likely for a speedy outcome if you have prepared your body before surgery. Post surgery PT is also important. Good luck.

• Sitka Gear