Bou'bound 23-Jul-18
Aces11 23-Jul-18
Cheesehead Mike 26-Jul-18
Greg S 27-Jul-18
Lever Action 27-Jul-18
Tilzbow 27-Jul-18
Grubby 27-Jul-18
21-Mar-17
So I need a new target. I have not bowhunted in the last several years mostly because of pursuing a sheep hunting obsession. Decided it was time to get back to it. I had 15 elk points in AZ and had just won a new Mathews Halon at the Sheep Show. Lancaster Archery got me all set up and AZ came through on a tag. Question is what do you all use for back yard targets. I have the room to set up whatever I want and want to do it right.

21-Mar-17

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
There have been quite a few threads on this over the years.

Here is my broadhead target.

21-Mar-17

I've since replaced the carpet with heavier carpet with the backing side out.
I've since replaced the carpet with heavier carpet with the backing side out.
Here is my field point target. It's a box covered with carpet and filled with poly. it works great.

21-Mar-17
Cheesehead, last summer I made a broadhead target similar to yours. I used green foam board from Lowes where I had gift cards, instead of pink from Home Depot. I cannot use the target because I can't pull the arrows out. Don't know what the difference is but the green simply didn't work.

21-Mar-17
Unlike Cheesehead Mike, I have virtually no building skills, thus I buy Block Targets and a Glendale deer target. A little spendy, but take quite a pounding from field points and FBBH.

Mark

21-Mar-17
We use a Rhinehart bag target for field points and a block for broadheads. Broadheads chew up a target fast! I like Mike's design above, something I need to tinker with this summer.

21-Mar-17
Rinehart and Block.

Mike likes to tinker and is good at it. Me not so much for either one. I have Rinehart deer, turkey, bear, and antelope in my back yard. Block Range target as well. Rinehart elk will be next.

21-Mar-17

LINK's embedded Photo
My field point target.
LINK's embedded Photo
My field point target.
If I had the means I'd have a rhineheart elk target.

21-Mar-17

LINK's embedded Photo
My broadhead/fp target with daughters arrows.
LINK's embedded Photo
My broadhead/fp target with daughters arrows.

21-Mar-17
My targets aren't perfect but one nice thing about them is they're easy to maintain.

With the foam broadhead target it's easy to replace sections as they get shot out.

The poly inside of the field point target never wears out and the carpet facing is easy to replace.

I got tired of spending $100 on a small broadhead target and having it wear out in one year.

Also, I tend to develop target panic shooting long range (especially with broadheads) at small targets. The big targets seem to give me a sense of security and takes away the anxiety of missing the target completely and loosing an arrow. The bottom photo is a 70 yard field point group.

Jethro, I've never seen the green foam board. Did you try using an arrow gripper on your arrows?

21-Mar-17
Jethro,grandson uses stuff called arrow snot .a dab on tips makes arrows easier to pull.

21-Mar-17
I slide my arrows in the silicone tube that coats the front 4" of the shaft and have a gripper. So hard to pull them out I usually have 1 foot up on the target and all my weight pulling. Sometimes I fall, sometimes the target tips over. Eventually the arrow comes out. About once per month I try again to see if it loosened up at all...not yet.

21-Mar-17
I built Mikes BH target early last season. I have not rotated panels and it still stops broadheads. (I will likely do some rotation when it warms up)

My FP target is something I picked up cheap at Mills Fleet Farm. When I shoot it up, I have another cheapie in the rafters.

21-Mar-17
Moo Cow Walkup photo moo cow walkup_zpsyvrnujex.jpg

I made several of these foam targets from Mike's recipe. This one I've had for around 3 years I think. I just rotated foam pads from the center, to the outside when they would get shot out. This is a walkup from 100 yards...I use it to prepare for 3D shoots, and to make the close shots seem "closer" ;)

Best of Luck, Jeff

21-Mar-17
Nobody has ever said elkmtngear can't hit the broad side of a barn.

21-Mar-17
Yeah, you saw that. I have no idea where that came from...

21-Mar-17
So block target for broad heads better than a rhinehart?

21-Mar-17
"So block target for broad heads better than a rhinehart? "

No way. Rinehart is an awesome broadhead target. Just expensive.

I built one like Mike's last fall for the same reasons he mentions. Haven't even shot it yet.

21-Mar-17
Thanks for the replies. Think I will go looking for a block target this week. Mike, how tight do you pack the poly in there. Doesn't look like it is packed super tight. It looks likes the depth is about 16" to 18". Is that correct?

21-Mar-17
So what is the best foam to use for Mike's target, and where do you get it? Thanks

21-Mar-17
Jim

I made a travel version of Mike's BH target. Strapped with Gorrila Tape. Stops great and no mess like a Block. Make it out of one panel of 2" foam. 16"x16" if memory serves.

21-Mar-17
"So what is the best foam to use for Mike's target, and where do you get it? Thanks"

I get the 2 inch Styrofoam panels at Home Depot. I think they "heal" better than the yellow foam, less crispy and more "spongy".

Best of Luck, Jeff

21-Mar-17

brianhood's embedded Photo
brianhood's embedded Photo
Here is mine. Morrell yellow jackets and range bag.

21-Mar-17
Here is mine. Morrell yellow jackets and range bag.

21-Mar-17

21-Mar-17
Really messed this post up..... Got bored last summer and decided to upgrade my target stand. Built it from stuff I had laying around my property. Think it will outlast me.

21-Mar-17

Gator's embedded Photo
Gator's embedded Photo
Forgot where I got the basic idea but keeps targets out of weather, mostly.

22-Mar-17

Jim in PA, the poly is pushed in but not packed all that tight. I don't show it in the photo but I did put a board inside wedged under the end boards to hold the poly down and keep it somewhat compressed. sometimes if I'm getting too much penetration I'll take the top off of the target and recompress the poly or add more but that doesn't happen too often. The poly really stops the arrow well and pulling them out is very easy too.

Shoe, I use the Owens-Corning Foamular 250 and I got it at Menards. Most building supply stores should have it. The attached picture is the pattern I use on a 4' x 8' sheet.

22-Mar-17
1. Take an empty plastic gallon jug. 2. Hang it from a branch or just throw it on the ground. 3. Put Judo points on your arrows. 4. Have fun!

It easy, it works and best of all it's CHEAP!!!

22-Mar-17

loopmtz's embedded Photo
loopmtz's embedded Photo
This one works for me..

22-Mar-17

Tilzbow's Link
You asked for the best. Check out the PBB 4 x 4 on the attached link. I have a 6' x 4' version and it's by far the best target I've ever used for field points. PBB completely redesigned their targets a few years ago and they're completely different than the compressed nails they sold in the past so beware of reviews more than 4 years old.

25-Mar-17

Butternut40's embedded Photo
Butternut40's embedded Photo
Here's one I put together this am. Buddy drew a bear tag. I'm not responsible for damaged arrows so pick a spot.

25-Mar-17
I have the same problem as Jethro. I built a broadhead target like Mike's but I used the 2" blue foam insulation. It works great as long as you are 40 yards away or farther, and the arrows are not difficult to pull, but inside of 40 yds and it's a bitch to get them out, lube or no lube.

26-Mar-17
Ive seen good things from a new target called Matrix Targets but seem kinda spendy. I my self am going to pick up a rhinhart rhino block and a 18-1 target this spring for shooting. I think rhinhart seem to be the most durable imo

26-Mar-17

White Falcon's embedded Photo
This.

26-Mar-17

Timbrhuntr's embedded Photo
Timbrhuntr's embedded Photo
These are my fav but they won't stand still !!

27-Mar-17
Morrell Yellowjacket x2. Put in on a cart so I can lug it out of the way when done. Put a good year of field tips into it and it still stops arrows great. I do typically shoot at the outer circles. If money is no object, Reinhart for durability (particularly BH) and ease of arrow removal. Plus the center core on their block target is replaceable so when you do shoot it out you don't have to pay for a full block.

29-Mar-17
I've been shooting a Block 4 X 4 for about 5 years using both field points and FB broadheads. I shoot a minimum of 20 arrows 2 - 3 times a week. It is still stopping arrows well before the fletches and I figure I've got a minimum of 3-4 more years at this rate. I do move the bullseye around so I'm not always shooting the same spot on the same side. However I limit broadhead shooting to about 20 - 40 arrows a year just to make sure they are hitting the same spot as my field points. Also the target is small and light enough to move around the yard and bring inside when not being used. Well worth the money.

29-Mar-17
I've been using a Morrell 6 shooter for the past few years. Since it is illegal to shoot my bow outdoors in town I have to transport it out of the city limits. Doesn't get a lot of use now that we live 16 miles closer to the archery club but it has stopped alot of arrows & still works great when it gets used.

30-Mar-17
Man... I can't imagine not being able to walk out into my back yard and shoot my bow let alone being 16 miles closer to where I can shoot...

30-Mar-17
Cheesehead Mike, do you get any residue on your arrows from the pink/purple insulation? I've used that, at least I think it was the same stuff you use, and it seems to melt onto my arrows.

30-Mar-17
Carbons yes. FMJ's no.

Any residue I get scrapes off easily.

22-Apr-17

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
I just made a portable light weight version of Mike's foam target. Just used four 1x4 strips of wood to distribute the force of the Harbor Freight ratchet straps. It only weighs 14lbs and is 32x16x18. I was sighting in my bow up to 70 yards today. Even at point blank range shooting in a seam they dont go through. It's just big enough to feel comfortable about those long range shots. As you can see, it's way bigger than my block that weighs 22lbs.

22-Apr-17
2' x 2' x 4' block target. 10 years old and going strong.

22-Apr-17
Even with broad heads Bob? My Block was toast after a dozen broadhead impacts. Pulled out tennis ball size chunks day one.

22-Apr-17
limited bh use, maybe half dozen a year. Most of those are mechs and the blades didn't snag and pull chunks on the way back out. For BH's I just buy one of the black blocks every cpl years.

23-Apr-17
I use a bag target for the yard. I get the "rag bag" and fill it with old clothes. Then use a rinehart or something for broadheads

23-Apr-17

Bowboy's Link
Get yourself an arrow last target. It will last you a life time. We have them at our outdoor range and they stay out all year. Best target you'll ever own. Kinda of expensive at first but well worth the price in the long run.

This is not made for broadhead use.

23-Apr-17

Bowboy's Link
Also Bulldog targets are another good choice.

23-Apr-17
I have a rhinoblock as abroadhead only target. For field points, i shoot either morrell bags, or a homemade layered foam target, i work next to a foam manufacturing plant, and can get all the scraps they throw away, a couple pro shops use the same stuff near me.

25-Apr-17
Dang that rangemaster target looks awesome!! I wish I could afford that.Looks like it would last a long time

25-Apr-17
Dang that rangemaster target looks awesome!! I wish I could afford that.Looks like it would last a long time

25-Apr-17

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
mine

23-Jul-18

Laying on it's back with the old carpet removed.
Laying on it's back with the old carpet removed.
Carpet replaced and top cover removed showing the board that sits on top keeping the plastic compressed.
Carpet replaced and top cover removed showing the board that sits on top keeping the plastic compressed.
Spots painted. I can shoot at all 4 sides of this target.
Spots painted. I can shoot at all 4 sides of this target.
I just replaced the carpeting on my field point target with some carpet I picked up at a garage sale and I thought I'd post some updated photos.

23-Jul-18

This.

23-Jul-18
Excelsior bales good for 15 years if cared for

23-Jul-18
What are the dimensions of your pink foam sheets that you us for your broadhead target Cheese?

26-Jul-18

Here's the pattern for cutting the pink foam.

27-Jul-18
I bought a Matrix 3 years ago and leave it out year around. It rains 60-80in here. I shoot broadheads a lot and it’s still going strong. Seems I rotate the center piece out once a year.

27-Jul-18
I have not seen better than Rhienhart. However you spell it. Anyway.... Bought a lot over 5 decades and to date, none better.

27-Jul-18
You said best, not least expensive so here goes. For field points get a 6’ high by 4’ wide target custom built by Pacific Bow Butts. It’ll be filled with window screen material, stops arrows nicely and you can attach targets. Impervious to weather and it’ll last for at least 15 years.

For broadheads, a big Matrix with 2 replacement hexes will be the last broadhead target you need to buy.

27-Jul-18

Grubby's embedded Photo
Grubby's embedded Photo
This is my favorite, 3rd hand faces filled with window screen

• Sitka Gear