Scooby-doo 23-Mar-17
creed 29-Apr-17
snapcrackpop 29-Apr-17
Cowdoc 30-Apr-17
Scooby-doo 30-Apr-17
PTArcher1 30-Apr-17
creed 30-Apr-17
21-Mar-17
My shoulder is too screwed up for a quick repair and standard replacement isn't an option so I meet with a surgeon for a reverse replacement. Has anyone had this type of surgery? How long was recovery? I have an AZ early archery bull tag for September and I am thinking I am going to donate this tag instead of use it myself. I have heard it could take up to 10 months for a full recovery

21-Mar-17
Unfortunately Bruce, you are having in my opinion one of the more awful post-op rehab surgeries one can ever have. Progress is extremely slow, generally pretty painful, and long term outcomes in all of the cases I've dealt with have been generally pain-free, but struggle quite a bit with strength following; but there's no reason you can't kick ass in rehab and end up shooting well in fall in 2018, everyone's different. I have had people shoot archery following one of these, but at a much lower weight and wasn't until a full year later. Is your shoulder past the point where you could get by until after September and hunt AZ even if you have a painful shoulder? If you have it done I'd be amazed if you're shooting by then, but if you have an aggressive surgeon that will let the PT get after it, maybe you'll get lucky, but shooting archery in September following a reverse total shoulder would be an EXTREMELY tall task. Feel free to PM with any specific Q's, make sure orthopedist and PT are on same page for what your long-term goals are.

21-Mar-17

kellyharris's embedded Photo
kellyharris's embedded Photo
Morgan had it done 70 days ago but she also had her ls lengthened which put her nerves in shock so she cannot move her hand or wrist. She can now move 3 fingertips but rehab is slow. But it's moving forward with progress.

21-Mar-17
Prayers headed your way Kelly. Hoping for a good end result.

21-Mar-17
WOW, suddenly my RC surgery seems trivial. Good luck and hope you have a successful recover.

22-Mar-17
Creed, I'm an orthopedic PT and have rehabbed hundreds of reverse shoulder replacements. Generally speaking, full recovery takes about a year. For the first 2 months, you'll be able to do little. Thereafter, you'll gain back approx 10% of your strength per month. That is to get back to what would be normal for a reverse shoulder, not normal in the typical sense. The reason one gets a reverse shoulder is because the rotator cuff is torn beyond repair. Reversing the shoulder gives one the ability to raise the arm overhead, a motion typically not able with a full cuff tear. A good outcome is considered being able to raise your arm overhead to about 140 degrees or so. An excellent outcome is raising the arm overhead holding 5 lbs. I've worked with several archers that have returned to shooting at a lower poundage, and been successful. In most cases, this was against the advice of their surgeon. I seriously doubt there is any chance of going on your Sept AZ hunt. I hope you get back to the point where you can shoot a bow and enjoy that activity. Work hard with your PT as it is can make or break the work done by your surgeon. Best of Luck!!

22-Mar-17
PTArcher1,

Do you want to tell people WHY their surgeon advised against it. DANNY

22-Mar-17
The point Linecutter is asking me to address is that placing too much stress thru the prosthetic (replacement) parts does place one at risk for failure of the components, specifically the portion replacing the socket. Trying to then surgically "fix" this situation becomes very difficult and outcomes tend to be poor. Make sure you discuss this with your surgeon so you won't be "blindsided" if and when you're told not to shoot a bow again. That being said, we are all adults and can make our own decisions. Make sure you get the facts upfront, including worst case scenario prior to making any decisions contrary to the advice of your medical provider.

22-Mar-17
I wince just thinking about it.

22-Mar-17
PTArcher1,

Thank you. I have been telling people about the issues of shooting after a should replacement of any kind. I just wanted to have them hear from someone other than me. Besides the components failure, there is also the possibility of the failure of the cement that is used to mount the prosthetic and the prosthetic coming loose. PTArcher1 is right the problem is the socket end (the part that mounts to the scapula) failing. I am not trying to be a PIA for any of you because I am looking at having a shoulder replacement also. As a former Orthopedic Nurse I can't in good faith, allow people who don't know, go back to shooting without knowing the possible consequences of that choice. That consequence is the shorting of life expectancy of the replacement and what it means to you when that replacement does fail. As PTArcher1 mentioned we are all adults and can make our own choices, but they need to be informed choices, of the risks involved. DANNY

22-Mar-17
I am due for a full replacement of my left shoulder. My surgeon is a bowhunter and he told me reverse shoulder replacement is not good for a bow hunter. I am lucky that my rotator is fine and I can have the full replacement. He has operated on two of my older friends(69 and 73)both had full replacement. Both were shooting light poundage after 3.5 months and by 6 months were shooting 55-60#s. He told me due to my age and condition I could expect to be shooting 60#s within 4 months. He also told me to hold off as long as I can cause at 52 I may have to have it done again in 15 years or so. best of Luck! Scooby

22-Mar-17
I am right handed. it is my left shoulder giving me issues. Would switching to left hand be an option? Life without bowhunting isn't worth living.

22-Mar-17
If you are talking about after the replacement, no. The forces would be different but still puts a lot of stress on the replacement. If you are talking prior to the replacement try it. I thought shooting left handed would help mine, actually made it worse and that was shooting lite, 40# at my draw length. So I continue shooting right handed, just REALLY have to pay attention to what I am doing prior and through the draw. If I don't, I pay for it! Again if prior to the surgery you won't know till you try to shoot left handed. "You" might find you can get away with it where I didn't. So you know I shoot Traditional. DANNY

22-Mar-17
A good friend of our just had a total reverse shoulder surgery done last week. By looking at the xrays he and Morgan look almost identical except he still has somewhat of a humorous bone left/

22-Mar-17
Kelly you know I and a bunch of other bs'ers pray for Morgan. Reading the very knowledgeable posts (thanks guys) it seems this could be time to take up crossbow. Me and friend had the same supraspinatus surgery done about 2 months apart. I had to deal with a frozen shoulder tendency and he didn't. It took me a year to get back what took him 6 months. The point is there are a lot of individual variables affecting a recovery rate that you will become much more knowledgeable about when you are in process. Determination, discipline, and consistency (and working with a good PT) are keys to achieving as full a recovery as possible. You may need to be willing to endure prolonged discomfort (beats opoids imo). Good luck.

22-Mar-17
The left handed thing would be an option with a reverse shoulder replacement as pulling with your left arm would or should not allow the joint to dislocate. At least that is the way my surgeon described it. That is why he had me have the dye injected under x-ray and then have the scan to make sure he could do a total replacement. Sorry but he told reverse replacement suck to try and come back and bow hunt from. He said it could be done but the risk of problems goes way up. WilliamT's last two lines really are a great point, my docs almost exact words. Scooby

22-Mar-17
Williamtell you may get bashed for wanting to go to a crossbow here. They do have challenges that you won't get by using a regular bow aka deer shot placement is behind you and your in a stand. Lol to be honest that's about it. Morgan can hammer bulls eyes out to 60 yards all day long from a rest and the same at 50 free hand. But she limits herself to a distance 30 or 35 yards max. She says that way she is still set by a lot of limitations as a conventional bow.

I would have zero issues myself going to a crossbow if need be.

I would rather be in the woods vs. reflecting on being in them.

Both Morgan and Michele have Parker Challenger models and they were the smallest footprint and lightest model I could find.

22-Mar-17
After more thought it is crossbow here I come. I have decided I am not letting an AZ bull elk tag slip by me. Not at my age.

23-Mar-17
The crossbow is one option for many who cannot pull a bow. There are other options out there as well. A mouth tab may work. If I remember right, Dwight Schuh used one for a season rehabbing a shoulder. Do a google search for "adaptive archery." It may open up a few possibilities for you.

Mike

23-Mar-17

23-Mar-17
Btw today is Morgan 9th anniversary of being in remission

23-Mar-17
I 100% agree that if a crossbow keeps you in the game due to injury or handicapping condition they are great. Kelly may she have another 100 years in remission, she is truly an inspiration!! Scooby

29-Apr-17
After discussion with the surgeon I opted to get an attempted rotator cuff repair. It ended up being beyond repair. Since my MRI in March the bicep tendon had gone ahead and let go. He ended up cleaning up as much scar tissue and junk as he could. It already feels much better. Yesterday was my first post op meeting. Originally a reverse shoulder replacement was the only real solution given to me. He is now telling me that a cadaver graft may be more helpful and give me more stability and strength than an artificial prosthesis. Anyone familiar with this procedure? On another note I did get a temporary medical crossbow permit so I could chase unit 8 bulls in AZ this September. It just doesn't feel the same though. I can't imagine life without bowhunting.

29-Apr-17
How's your TMJ joint?

John Dudely also used a mouth tub release for a hunt.

30-Apr-17
I had a reverse replacement on my left shoulder in January. I had no rotator cuff or scapular shelf left. At that point I was using a rope tied to the door handle to close my truck door. I now sleep at night, can raise my arm over my head and am generally pain free. However, I tried to shoot my daughters toy bow the other day and thought I would die. It will be a long time before I can shoot my longbow again. I bought a crossbow but hate it. I am getting more into photography and watching now.

30-Apr-17
Crowdoc. my surgeon told me with a reverse shoulder replacement it would be doubtful too shoot any bow much over 25-30#s as it will cause your shoulder to dislocate. Shawn

30-Apr-17
Creed, I assume you're talking about the cadaver graft to allow a repair of your cuff tear. I've only rehabbed a couple of these in the past. If successful, you likely will have better mobility of the shoulder than with a reverse. Strength will still be less than optimal, but should turn out as good as or better than the reverse. You'll be in for a long rehab and it will take at least a year to see full recovery. Best of luck!!

30-Apr-17
PTArcher1, that is what he is talking about. I have another appointment in about 3 weeks to discuss the procedure in detail. From what I understand it is possible to return to 90% of preinjury range of motion and strength although the 75% figure is more realistic. I will take it over the reverse. Cowdoc, I feel for you. Screwed up shoulders are no fun at all. I had no idea how debilitating they can be. Few options in some cases too.

• Sitka Gear