willliamtell 23-Apr-17
wild1 24-Apr-17
midwest 24-Apr-17
JLS 24-Apr-17
midwest 24-Apr-17
Bill Obeid 24-Apr-17
10-Apr-17

Glunt@work's Link
Scott from SS Pro went missing. Info is sparse but apparently sorting out a leopard track with hounds, he and the tracker split up. The tracker and hounds came out. They found his pack near the Limpopo river and are trying to keep a couple choppers in the air searching.

I never hunted there but I know Scott from trade shows and I did some editing for him.

10-Apr-17
Yikes!

He's pushing 72 hours by now, isn't he?

10-Apr-17
Hopefully he is safe

10-Apr-17
damn, i hope he is safe and recovered shortly... that has to be real scary...

10-Apr-17
Salome de villers has updates on her page tough few days for this family

11-Apr-17
Yes you can PM Salome on Facebook if you would like to donate money to pay for fuel and rental of the helicopters.

I believe she said they had 3 choppers running a search

11-Apr-17

kellyharris's Link
Here is the link for the go find me page

11-Apr-17
I've known Scott for many years. He has stayed at my house on several occasions. He guided me to a great leopard back in '15. Scott is best friends with Mof Venter of Adansonia Safaris, who I have hunted with 5 times. They travel together when they come to the States for the show season. That's how I came to know Scott. Mof is on sight in the search, and I've been in communication with him. Scott is a great, fun person to be with. He has a wonderful wife and family, and many many friends. At this point, the best that people can offer are prayers, and assistance through the GoFundMe site to enable the search to continue.

11-Apr-17
that's tough. Praying.

12-Apr-17
Praying and hoping for a good outcome. I met Scott in 2014 while hunting with Mof at Adansonia. He is a great guy and fun to be around.

12-Apr-17
Any more updates?

12-Apr-17
I'm wondering the same Jake. Anyone?

Also, was the leopard recovered? (ie: is there evidence the PH encountered it?)

12-Apr-17
Apparently his backpack was located on the banks of the Limpopo on the Zim side. It's been reported that his tracks end there. If that is true, it sounds like he may have been taken by a croc. Tracks just don't stop and the African trackers are the best in the world. They will find you if your feet are touching ground. This is a sad story but reaffirms the fact that professional hunting is the most dangerous profession in the world.

12-Apr-17
I would hope this situation ends well. His family is certainly suffering and I wish for a positive resolution.

12-Apr-17
Croc was the first thing I thought of. Sad.

12-Apr-17
Tracks ending on the banks of the Limpopo......that doesn't sound good. Praying for the family, hoping for the best.

12-Apr-17
It's all very curious. It's being reported that he left his rifle in his truck and went in search of a missing dog. The internet is full of half truths and BS so nothing you read can really be confirmed. It's very odd for a PH to go into the bush alone without his rifle.

12-Apr-17
Poachers?

12-Apr-17
One would think if he is tracked to the shore they could see by the sign if a croc got him.

12-Apr-17
Ken I was thinking the same about croc. Rifle left behind? Going off alone? very curious. Still praying for a safe conclusion and hoping against hope the ominous reports aren't accurate.

12-Apr-17
I bet the real story is different than anything above.

12-Apr-17
I agree with Ken Moody. The trackers over there can track anything. If Poachers were involved the trackers would of found him. Scott is not a rookie but a true professional PH. I think Bou'bound might be correct in saying its something different than what everyone thinks.

12-Apr-17
So they found his tracks along the river ....then nothing?

One would think that a croc dragging a man in the water would have left sign a pro tracker could decipher.

12-Apr-17
Would be good to get an update straight from a trusted source. If a croc nails a person, are remains usually recovered? I would assume the money can be simply directed to his family if he isn't found, yes?

13-Apr-17
For best source for trusted, up-to-date information, go to :

Africahunting.com and read the thread on HELP NEEDED......Scott Van Zyl missing...

13-Apr-17

LINK's Link
Link to thread wild 1 references.

13-Apr-17
i read most of the posts on the link.. sounds like some weird circumstances.. i think about this guy a lot. I hope they find him.. for his and his family's sake

13-Apr-17
I talked to a trusted source on site a short time ago. With respect to crocs, there are not a lot of them in the area. But there was a big one. So it was shot, and the stomach examined. They found bond fragments, and some hair. There was no way to tell at the time if it was human. They are running a test tomorrow to determine if it's human. If so, they will do a DNA test to see if it was Scott. Obviously, it could have been any mammal with hair and bone. As to the speculation of what happened, whether he was "dragged in the water" by a croc, there are a thousand scenarios and we may never know. I was on a caribou hunt years ago, and had a guide literally fall over dead with a massive heart attack. I mention to say that being "eaten" by a croc is not the same thing as being "killed" by a croc. No matter what the outcome, Scott's family deserves our respect for having to deal with such a tragic, stressful situation, especially while the speculation about what happened is rampant.

14-Apr-17
Quick Draw, thanks for that.

14-Apr-17
Here's the latest official message from those coordinating the efforts. Sounds like the search is pretty much drawing to a close:

UPDATE #16: Friday, 14 April 2017 - Feedback from the chairman at the Limpopo Hunters Liason Forum (LHLF) - Mr. Phillip Bronkhorst:

"Today exactly a week ago fellow PH, friend and family man Scott van Zyl went missing on the banks of the Limpopo River. The search and rescue team has done everything humanly possible to find Scott.

Lots of help and support was given by several organizations and individuals. We will not name all of them now but a list will follow shortly.

Since yesterday when POSSIBLE human remains was found, more searching was done today in the area. By around midday today general consensus was reached by the SAR team that they had done what was possible to find info on this puzzle and to find Scott. The SAR was called off for the moment BUT contact will be kept with locals, villagers and fisherman on both sides of the river to get more possible info from the locals on the ground.

A formal police investigation has been launched and each and everyone hope for a closure on this incident. Please keep Sure, their 2 kids and all the family in your daily prayers and thoughts.

DNA testing on some of the content that was found in the stomachs of the crocodiles shot to verify if it is human or not will only be available in a couple weeks and up till then the uncertainty will remain and hope will prevail.

A full breakdown of total costs of this SAR is in process to be finalized and if you still want to donate please keep doing so. The funds generated now will be allocated towards Scott's family to cover any further immediate costs. Please also when sharing this message keep the info within the boundaries laid out by this message and do not trespass the boundaries of negative news sharing like we have experience the last couple days from several prominent news agencies."

17-Apr-17
Sad indeed :(

18-Apr-17
It's been reported that part of a boot, like the ones Scott was wearing at the time, were found in the stomach of a third crocodile shot in the area.

18-Apr-17
Very sad indeed.

18-Apr-17
Damn crocs are dangerous killers

18-Apr-17
Thoughts and prayers to family and friends. I can't imagine......

19-Apr-17
Prayers to the Family sad deal

19-Apr-17
oh man. That's terrible.

19-Apr-17
Prayers sent

Mark

19-Apr-17
"It's been reported that part of a boot, like the ones Scott was wearing at the time, were found in the stomach of a third crocodile shot in the area."

Confusing, considering initial reports stated his boots and pack where found on the river bank at the beginning of the search.

19-Apr-17
I had only read where they found only his pack, not boots and pack. They did mention "boots on the ground", as in search party boots.

19-Apr-17
So I had to go back and look..... turns out there was an article which stated such but it has now been labeled incorrect. My apologies

It was just his pack, camel back and "personal items" Sad deal

19-Apr-17
Just seen an article on Yahoo homepage saying that partial remains were found inside 2 crocs. Did not read entire article but from what I seen was pretty anti hunter.

19-Apr-17
where did you seen that?

19-Apr-17
https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/929fce54-f0cf-36ba-9354-b7f6a8e99649/ss_the-lesson-we-seriously-need.html

This is the url of the article linked from Yahoo. originator was onegreenplanet.org, an apparent anti hunting group. While the link to page two of the article didn't work for me, from the first page I get the impression that they just assumed the material found in two crocs was human and was Scott's. There was no mention of DNA results

20-Apr-17
It's being reported that the DNA test from the remains found in the crocodiles has proven conclusive. He was killed by crocs.

20-Apr-17
A horrible way to die. Prayers lifted for his family as they deal with the grief of this tragedy.

20-Apr-17
A horrible way to die. Prayers lifted for his family as they deal with the grief of this tragedy.

20-Apr-17
A croc was the likely answer right off the bat but like everyone I was hoping Scott would be found. Thoughts and prayers for his family.

20-Apr-17
So sad. Prayers for his family.

20-Apr-17
what a shame, so very sad to hear about this story...

how does something like this happen? thinking he was swimming?

20-Apr-17
Given what's been reported with his pack found on the bank he most likely dropped the pack and moved to the water to wash off and was taken. No one will ever know for sure.

20-Apr-17
Memorial service will likely be on May 4. Once I get more details, I'll provide in case anyone wants to do anything. Scott's hunting operation pretty much supported his entire family (not just immediate family), so will be a difficult financial situation for them on top of the emotional tragedy.

20-Apr-17
Oh man, what a horrible tragedy.

20-Apr-17
APauls it is indeed. Ken, thanks for the information and perspective.

22-Apr-17
Tragic. My heart goes out to his family.

22-Apr-17
Horrible. Prayers sent to the family.

23-Apr-17
For his family to lose him this way - a definite tragedy. Go with God Scott. For a hunter to go by joining the food web - there's something connected to how he lived and how we do also. Many of us hunt in areas with predators that occasionally kill people. We directly support and ensure that such areas, and the full range of animals that live in them, will be there for our children and future generations. Experiencing that adds immeasurably to our lives. I was in an area today where a predator could take you out any time - CA's 'red' triangle. As violent as an ending like that would be, I'd take it over rotting in a nursing home. Scott lived a wonderful life and it is to be celebrated as much as his passing mourned.

24-Apr-17
Heartbreaking. I'm thinking there may be more to the story. Either way, tragic loss for the family.

24-Apr-17
"As violent as an ending like that would be, I'd take it over rotting in a nursing home."

I've always felt the exact same way. Prayers to Scott's family.

24-Apr-17
I agree Nick.

24-Apr-17

24-Apr-17
Yeah Nick , a grandkids have a great story to tell !!!

• Sitka Gear