Highllainsdrifter 13-Aug-17
Buskill 13-Aug-17
Chrisdbowhunter 13-Aug-17
LBshooter 13-Aug-17
Paul@thefort 13-Aug-17
12-Apr-17

BOX CALL's embedded Photo
Got this martin cougar magnum with energy cams up and running.it kicks out cabelas 55/70 stalker extremes and xx75 autumn orange 2213 pretty quick.just have a warm spot for old school compounds,dan

12-Apr-17
That's a good one. I wanted one bad when they were new. Didn't have the funds at the time.

12-Apr-17
I keep thinking that sometime I will get one of them old bear whitetail's with the 6 wheels and try it out on my home state deer. Kinda like taking out the 67 mustang for a ride.

12-Apr-17
I'd love to find an old Jennings Aerostar which was my first bow and use it to take a deer or turkey. I showed one to my kids at the Pope and Young museum and they didn't think you could "hit anything with that bow". I'd like to show them I could and did!

12-Apr-17
Only compound I ever owner was a Cougar Magnum. I traded a truckload of hay for it in 1985 when I was a teenager. Shot one deer with it and went back to traditional.

12-Apr-17
Still have a Martin Tiger and PSE Strato Flight Express laying around.

12-Apr-17
My oooo aaaah bow is a little newer than the above, but the PSE Mach 6 always held my attention. Hatchet cams machined riser among all the inferior cast risers made that bow shine like a diamond in a goats ass.

12-Apr-17
Pretty cool. Back in the day I had a Bear Whitetail which made me the coolest guy on the block. Honestly the selfbows I shoot these days are faster than that bow was . . . but I sure liked shooting it.

12-Apr-17

One more oldie.Jennings split t ,that I put a set of tri draw metal wheels and a cable yoke system.at 65#,this kicks 2216 out pretty good.

12-Apr-17
I always thought the Oneida Eagle bows with that compound/recurve look were so cool. Never had a hope of owning one because that was a pretty spendy bow back in the day.

Fast forward to 2015 and my dad finds one from the 1980s at a garage sale in mint condition with the tags still on it and the original box. He thought that was pretty cool so he bought it for $50. He was going to give it to me.

So he's walking back to his truck with it and some guy steps out from behind a parked car and says, "Hey buddy. Yeah, you. I came just for that bow and I have to have it. Name your price, bud."

Dad couldn't swear it, but he thinks the guy is wearing a trench coat which is a little odd in July, but we're talking rural Minnesota here so anything goes. So dad names the outrageous figure of $250 and the guy says, OK, here and peels off $250 in crisp $50 bills from a roll of about $20,000, hands dad the cash and takes the bow. Weird. Left dad with the feeling that $550 would not have been out of the question, but oh well.

Oh and here's the kicker. The guy gets into the best restored 1985 Chrysler LeBaron that my father has ever seen and tears off as if he just robbed a bank. No, really. Like who does that?

Some of you may rightly ask, did dad give me the money, since it was supposed to be my bow. What's your best guess?

So there's a lot of weirdos and a few vintage bow collectors on the loose out there. Keep your eyes peeled and your cherry 1984 Bear Whitetail 2 locked up.

Grouse

12-Apr-17
Ive got my moms old bear whitetail hunter and an indian timberwolf(could just be wolf) my uncle gave me, i may try to get ready to hunt someday.

12-Apr-17
I Carroll 4 wheeler for a few years back in the day. Pretty sure it only had 20% let off. That thing cranked an arrow out at 70 lbs. Sold it to my ex-brother in law for $50 and it promptly blew up (though I think he may have dry-fired it and didn't tell me.)

12-Apr-17
My dad had the original Oneida screamin eagle, it had about 40% let off and a very unique sound when shot. Baddest thing I've ever seen until I got my own... shot great but started busting strings on a regular basis. When they debuted they were futuristic and must haves.

12-Apr-17
I got to shoot an oneida eagle a couple of weeks ago. 20ish year old bow with aluminum arrows. Pretty fun to shoot.

12-Apr-17
Best part about them old school compounds is you can work them with your fingers.

12-Apr-17
Oh yeah we are shooting with fingers here brother. Boxcall, a quiver if matching xx75s in autumn orange was too much to even dream for.

12-Apr-17
Had the Martin Warthog with the bubunga wood beautiful bow so I sprayed it with camo paint! Super fast for its day though.

12-Apr-17
Man I had a bear Delta v I bought new ...3 years of trapping savings.....Was the fastest bow in the world at the time...It had cable explosion issues and was recalled...After my first one blew up,. Then it happened again a year later..I took er in to have cables replaced....They refused to return it to me and let me choose from but any bow in the shop...Big shop!! I chose a mid level bear ... Stupid kid.....Man I'd love to have it back. ..Rare now due to the recall and a few big lawsuits due to injuries caused by the cable explosions?..You simply couldn't see the arrow upon release.....till it usually went thru thru the target,..And buried in the dirt....At THAT time. It was incredible..... Still is to me....Older veteran bad ass hunters would come by to see the show......I thought I was cool. ...The cams were in the center of the bow. About 9 inches in diameter....

12-Apr-17
I still own and enjoy shooting a Darton 5000MX with XX75 2413's. Killed a lot with that combo and Razor back 5's

17-Apr-17
Been shooting the cougar magnum with energy cams.would like to camp it up and hunt this year with it.but I can't get it quieted down.got bojax and puffs on the string and a bojax x on the cable guard rod,and a 4 1/2" cobra stabilizer on it.shooting 400 carbons.just too noisy.never had any trouble with round wheels getting quiet.

17-Apr-17
A buddy of mine is still shooting my Lynx. 1985-ish.

I wanted one of those cougars in the worst way myself, but they didn't make anything in my DL back then.

But these days… I am more than happy to shoot my two Howatts and the RER. Bighorn's not getting the love it used to!

17-Apr-17
I've got 2 PSE Vulcan's if anyone's interested.

20-Apr-17
went to a 3D and saw a group of guys who all bring out vintage compounds for a day on the 3D course, aluminum arrows and fingers and even brass pin sights it was awesome to see! they said they shoot other bows but they all do that on the last sunday and make a nice little bet on the the bottom two scores buying lunch...

wish I still had my first compound a bear polar LTD!

20-Apr-17
Love those old compounds, Box! You are getting a nice collection started! One of the really old ones I wish I had was an early Allen that my uncle had. Limbs were fiberglass and were more rod shaped than flat limb. I think it only had 10-15% let-off, too. But that was the cats-a$$ back then. If you had a 60 lb bow you ONLY had to hold 54 lbs....

05-May-17
Thats cool Boxcall.Glad to see your over here. I just found the site.

05-May-17
Yeah,ieatherwall bust your chops for even mentioning a compound,but I don't care,I'm a bow hunter,period.

05-May-17
Cool Martin.

I have a Hoyt Pro Hunter from 1986. Killed a bunch of stuff with it. At 76# with a 620 grain 2219 it shot 214 fps.

Which is about what Chuck Adams shoots today!

05-May-17
Ironbow,can you do the big grin like chuck Adams,lol

07-May-17
When I first started shooting, the big debate was over 2 wheel vs. 4 wheel compounds. Wish I still had my Ben Pearson (2 wheeler)...

14-May-17
On the cougar mag with energy wheels,how can I get it quieted down for hunting.tried bow jaxs and string torpedoes.and bojax on the cable guard.springy stabilizer.and 18 strand string.its just to loud.thanks,dan

14-May-17
Box Call,

About the only way to quiet that bow down some is with a really heavy arrow.

14-May-17
I'll try some 2217 jda naturals.

16-May-17
oh wow so many memories...Razoback 5s and brass pins....lol. I wish Bowhunting was like that back then again.

16-May-17
I still shoot and hunt with my PSE Mach 6 with overdraw shoot 2312 XX78 arrows.

16-May-17
Ben Pearson Spoiler... I loved that bow! Some blow-hard stole it out of the archery shop I worked in:( Jennings Machined Extreme- great bow!

Scar.

16-May-17

Turpie's embedded Photo
Turpie's embedded Photo
My dad just hung up his Wing compound 3 years ago

16-May-17
some tree bark camo and a baker hang-on would make it complete :)

16-May-17
y'all are making me feel old. Those were NEW bows when I shot compounds. LOL my last wheel bow was a '1993 Oregon Valiant Crusader, I shot it cranked down to 85# and it'd throw a 31" long Easton XX78 2219 with plastic vanes and a 170 grain Zwickey Delta at 235 fps.... tough stuff!

16-May-17
Went to a bear seminar a long time ago,and Bob McGuire was speaking.he had his hunting bow laying on a table.it was one of them rigid brand compounds.also almost everybody had that treebark camo,but mine shrank over the years.lol,and the old school Jones style hat in treebark.

17-May-17
Dads Wing compound was made 1976

17-May-17
Started out in 1982 with a Browning Deluxe Nomad II that I bought brand new at Walmart, of all places. What are the odds of Wallyworld having a left handed bow, let alone, in my draw length! OK, maybe it wasn't exactly my proper draw length, but I was too dumb to know back then. Shot it with fingers using the no-gloves, Easton Gamegetters, Razorback 5 broadheads and, I think, Cobra sights. I actually Robin hooded an arrow with that setup the first week I had it! Only took 20 years to do it a second time ;-)

17-May-17

tobywon's embedded Photo
tobywon's embedded Photo
First compound was a mid 1980s Browning Deluxe Camo Bushmaster, took my first deer with it in 1988. Why I have saved it this many years, I don't know.

17-May-17

tobywon's embedded Photo
tobywon's embedded Photo
1990s Oregon Deschutes in Trebark for you Fuzzy.

17-May-17
I'm posting three bows tomorrow that will cause palpitations.stay tuned,lol

17-May-17
Turpie that old wing brings back memories, first compound I owned. I currently have a Jennings Buckmaster that I shoot on occasion. Interesting thread.

17-May-17
I still shoot my Ben Pearson Mirage compound that I got for Christmas in 1979. And by shoot I mean I still hunt with it. I use xx75's and a old single pin brass pendulum sight.

18-May-17

Here is one of my old school fancy bows,martin cougar 11

18-May-17

One more fancy old school,PSE Lazar magnum,target only use

18-May-17
Still have my first compound. a Jennings model T

18-May-17
Still have a Bear Polar LTD hanging in the shop. It was my first compound.

18-May-17
tobywon I'd try to buy that Oregon if it was a lefty, they can be "warf" ed into a darned fine recurve.

18-May-17
I call them 'traditional compounds' :)

18-May-17
It is cool to look at those old bows but I guess I am in the minority in that I am so glad that we have the bows we have now. It is so nice not to have to shoot those God forsaken things any longer. A few years ago I picked up a buddies old late 90s Power Mag. I drew back and started aiming, when my release went off the bow jumped so far out of my hand it almost passed the arrow. My elbow still hurts thinking about this.

18-May-17
Fuzzy, I seem to remember you mentioning on the Leatherwall that you warfed one before and I was thinking of doing just that some day. I didn't realize that you were lefty. It feels so big in the hand now compared to my Mathews and even my Quinn Stallion takedown.

19-May-17

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
yep, I did. I did it on a whim in '96 or '97, and it's still my "go to" hunting bow.

19-May-17

moon's embedded Photo
moon's embedded Photo
Bill Stewart Custom compound. The first short compound made and I still hunt with it.

10-Aug-17
I've been shooting the same bow for what will be the 17th season this upcoming fall. A 2000 Bear Silverback (it has split recurve limbs) I have thought of upgrading but I like to shoot fingers and finding a longer ATA bow these days seems impossible. I just put a new string on it and a Whisker Biscuit Kill Shot rest. It has done the trick on a number of Ontario Whitetails shooting 5570 Carbon Express arrows tipped with NAP Shockwaves.

10-Aug-17

12yards's embedded Photo
12yards's embedded Photo
Here's my old Jet Flite Express. Still have killed more deer with it than any other bow I've owned.

10-Aug-17
I still have my 1st compound. A LH Jennings Sidekick that I bought in 1976. 60# with 15% let off. Shot those Gamegetter 2117's at 183 FPS with a 125gr 3 blade Wasp( the old green ones with the double rings to hold the blades). A couple years later I replace the brass knob sight pins the new modern T Dot pins, I was livin' large.

11-Aug-17
WOW!! Laser Magnums and Oregon bows. Ya gotta luv um. Thanks for the pics. Shick

11-Aug-17
I have a late '70's Bear Whitetail Hunter stashed in my basement. My new compound is an early '90's PSE F2 Maxis.

11-Aug-17
You haven't really experienced archery, until you've experienced the pleasure of shooting the Browning X-Cellerator with CamoWood riser!

Killed lots of game with one of these back in the 80's and still own it. Notice the very long brace height!

11-Aug-17
Sticksender....I like that wood on the riser!

11-Aug-17

stagetek's embedded Photo
stagetek's embedded Photo
Doesn't get much older than these.

11-Aug-17
I remember the arch of the arrows on a 30 yd shot from the first PSE i had in the early 90's. Seemed like a rainbow.

11-Aug-17
I had that same Martin Cougar magnum back in the day. In royal Blue.

12-Aug-17

muzzy's embedded Photo
muzzy's embedded Photo
Not many of these around.

12-Aug-17

muzzy's embedded Photo
muzzy's embedded Photo

13-Aug-17
Saw a pretty nice Martin Cougar at a Flea Market this morning. What's a good price on a decent used one these days?

13-Aug-17

White Falcon's embedded Photo
White Falcon's embedded Photo

13-Aug-17
I still have my 1982 Hoyt Spectra 5000 compound that came with a set of woof recurve limbs. Still shoot it. The bow I still hunt with is the 1990 Hoyt Super Slam Hunter. Both bare bow and finger. Killed a half dozen Pope and Young Elk with them

13-Aug-17
I've thought about busting out my old Moutaineer Archery compound from about '92 but haven't taken the time to set it back up. Sure had fun with it !

13-Aug-17

Chrisdbowhunter's embedded Photo
Chrisdbowhunter's embedded Photo
Not my first bow, but with Dad in the very early 70's when he bought it.

13-Aug-17
I have a pse I used to use back in the 80's, haven't shot it since but I bet like all these other older bows , it will kill.

13-Aug-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Shot my first bull elk with this 1986 Oregon Deschutes back in 1988. After that, killed the Colorado Big Game eight species with it. Ended up giving it way at the CBA banquet to a youth. Fun bow and my first compound, 55% letoff and drew 64#, with alum arrows and 125 gr Thunderheads. Nice to see some of the older ones still being used and revered. my best, Paul

• Sitka Gear