Coyote 65 15-Apr-17
DonVathome 17-Apr-17
JT 17-Apr-17
JT 18-Apr-17
Joetech 20-Apr-17
ohiohunter 20-Apr-17
WapitiBob 20-Apr-17
14-Apr-17
Fortunate to draw unit 36 for elk Sept 1-14. Hoping there are some out there that would be willing to share their knowledge and experience from that unit. Areas to hunt, where to park and hunt from or to set up spike camp, average size of bulls, etc... This is our first time in this unit but not our first time hunting elk in NM. We are prepared for a rugged and grueling hunt but are physically prepared for that part. Thanks in advance and I hope everyone was able to draw something or are able to get out on some fun hunts this fall.

14-Apr-17
I'll probably be able to tell you where the elk are after your hunt is over! My son and I drew unit 36 for deer. Because of his work obligations, we'll be arriving about the time your leaving. And since we'll be hunting deer, we'll see a lot of elk! We are not familiar with the unit so can't be of any help to you. Good luck on your hunt.

Dan

14-Apr-17
Check it out real good on google earth, a lot of it it burned over.

15-Apr-17
A good bet is to find Bonito Lake, then Argentina Trailhead which is about 3 mile west. There are several trails that generally go west and climb to the crest. Most ridges should have elk.

15-Apr-17

15-Apr-17
Had a cow tag there about 10 years ago, found no elk down low, so go high, but if it had been deer season I could have tagged out multiple times.

Terry

17-Apr-17
GREAT TAG, 350 bulls around and bigger. The road to the Indian ski resort has a LOT of great spots to glass, and the nearby fire tower - can easily find lots of elk, backpacking in also possible more in northern area, I hunted southern and and did great Muzzy season

17-Apr-17
Thanks to everyone that responded so far. I appreciate the advice.

18-Apr-17
Thanks to everyone that responded so far. I appreciate the advice.

20-Apr-17
Never hunted there during that season but never had a problem finding Elk. Another area to check out besides the ones listed above is Nogal Peak area.

20-Apr-17
About 2yrs ago I went over to 36 to pull a random trail cam I had out on Aug 31st. There was a bull sounding off who already had about 5 cows, I was shocked, the places I've hunted 1st season the elk were usually quiet until later in the 1st week of sept. I didn't have a call but I was able to keep him fired up with some raking.

20-Apr-17
Those 3 areas have been passed around the internet more than a Kim K sex tape.

• Sitka Gear