12yards 20-Apr-17
4araquiver 20-Apr-17
12yards 20-Apr-17
APauls 20-Apr-17
Jaquomo 20-Apr-17
turkey talker 20-Apr-17
CAS_HNTR 20-Apr-17
18-Apr-17
Looking for a mid season hunting jacket that will help to block wind here in Nebraska, but can layer over with a heavier jacket when we get down into the low 30s for highs. Not thinking I want a soft shell, because I'd like a hood. Any suggestions you'd tried and like are appreciated! This is the one piece I seem to be missing.

19-Apr-17
I use a browning primaloft jacket for a shell or a stand alone on those 35 Degree days. Layer appropriately for when it's colder.

It's very light and thin. Very packable. Very warm.blocks the wind good. It's sounds exactly like what you are looking for. Except it doesn't have a hood.

But, for those temps, if a hold is required, a canelas windsheat fleece has a hood and will work wonderfully as well. God Bless

19-Apr-17
I will have to look into windshear, thanks for the recommendation.

20-Apr-17
Another vote for the Cabelas Berber Fleece with the windshear. I have that and also the Wooltimate with windshear. Both are great for the CO eastern plains in Nov-Dec.

20-Apr-17
Don't you guys think Berber Fleece would be too warm for a midweight middle of the season jacket? I have one and it is too warm for me. That is what I wear when it gets cold. LOL. Plus, I would have a tough time using my berber jacket as an underlayer.

turkey talker, I do have a Cabelas Berber Fleece hooded pullover I would be willing to sell to you if you want to give it a try. It has been lightly used because after I bought it I had trouble putting it on. My shoulders are bad and they hurt trying to get it on. It is an XL and has the windshear.

20-Apr-17
I use a cabelas legacy fleece jacket with wind shear lining as my outer layer. I use a wool sweater as my mid layer. If it's cool to cold and the wind is not blowing I leave off the fleece Windshear jacket. I use this system due to noise the lining can make if it's quiet. If the wind picks up a bit it's never an issue to throw the fleece Windshear jacket on. And it has a hood.

20-Apr-17
I've also used the Cabelas Legacy Fleece for several years and love the stuff till it gets too cold. I layer under it while temps still climb into the 40s. After that I break out the Berber. I guess I'd rather layer with something besides a midweight jacket. I'd go with a separate midweight and heavy system.

20-Apr-17
Sitka Stratus is an option.

20-Apr-17
12 yards, I with you. Ddepends on what "midseason" means, too. I hunt the CO plains not far from the NE border and on the cold days that wind can be brutal. As an outer the Berber with Windshear is nice. Agree that it's not practical for layering over, so I adjust my inner layers accordingly.

I also use a berber/windshear vest as an outer when it's chilly and also as an inner layer when it gets worse. Windshear or some other membrane makes a big difference, no matter what.

20-Apr-17
I guess in this instance mid season is november. I normally wear a first lite llano, chama, and core 4 down.vest I wear that can get me into the upper 40s, but the wind at any colder temps just cut through. I have a first lite sanctuary to when it gets to 20 and colder that'll keep me warm forever, but am looking for something I can throw over the above layers to block wind and add a little warmth. I've looked at the windshear stuff online, but will have to wait til I get to a store to handle it myself. Thanks for the input guys, it helps!

20-Apr-17
I have an element jacket from core4element that I really like......they go by sylo now I believe.

• Sitka Gear