fubar racin 19-Apr-17
Brotsky 19-Apr-17
Ken Moody Safaris 19-Apr-17
Mark Watkins 19-Apr-17
Dyjack 19-Apr-17
Paul@thefort 19-Apr-17
yooper89 19-Apr-17
19-Apr-17
Hey everybody....let's share our first archery kill. Mine was a sparrow bird. I still remember it like yesterday when it happened. I had been stalking around my parent's back yard when I saw two sparrows giving themselves a dust bath. I was using Bear "Black Bear" compound with EASTON 1816 aluminum arrows. I remember telling myself to keep a tree between me and the birds, I got within about 15-20 yards, pulled back the bow, side stepped out of the tree and took a best estimate aiming at the birds. I still remember seeing the green/blue color fletch swirling toward the birds and the puff of dust when my arrow hit the ground. I noticed only one sparrow flew away and ran to see my arrow stuck through a female sparrow. What's your story......

19-Apr-17
September 30, 1964. Bear Kodiak Magnum 45# bow. Tapered port orford cedar arrow. 3 fletch. Bear Razorhead broadhead with insert. Leather shooting glove. No sight, instinctive. 53 yards,...back then I didn't know enough not to shoot that far,...lucky shot,...I was not a good archer then,...just very fortunate/lucky. Double lung shot, but still he went about 350 yards. Eight-point buck with probably a 12 inch spread. Dressed weight around 120 pounds. First deer I ever killed. First deer I ever trailed. First deer I ever gutted (what a mess!). Knapp Township, Jackson County, Wisconsin. Taking this deer set me on a journey that has lasted to this day. Now 72 and have hunted WI, Canada, and western US. Have taken scores & scores & scores of animals. Loved every minute. Archery & bowhunting set a positive course for a young man back in the day.

19-Apr-17
Lots of arrows. Lots of hunts. Lots of friends to hunt with. Wish I had the years/hunts to live over again. Advice to the younger bowhunters,...plan & make those hunts now. Find a way to get the $$$ and the time. Don't let yourself miss out on them,...you can never go back and re-do the missed hunts. Once the season has passed, it is gone forever. Find way to make it happen so there are no regrets about missed opportunities. Make it happen, find a way.

19-Apr-17
I was 6 or 7 shooting a (toy) compound and some old fiberglass carp arrows snuck in on a cotton tail and stuck an arrow through his head from a couple inches away. Still have the bow and probably the arrow.

19-Apr-17
Ground Squirrel/Gopher, still makes me smile when I see kids chasing them today. In fact if I see kids chasing them I can't help but jump in and "pass on my gopher wisdom". :)

19-Apr-17
1981, Browning Nomad recurve, 64 pounds, aluminum arrows. Low crawled and stalked a young whitetail buck. Crawled up to about 35 yards, rolled up onto my knees and shot. He ran over a small hill and I heard him crash about 40 yds away. Really cool! Could have never done it with a compound. It was a great experience and it occurred on the last day of a camping/hunting weekend. Hadn't seen anything from the treestands and spotted this buck on the way out of the woods headed back to camp. I remember every detail from the camo face paint to the military camo I was wearing.

19-Apr-17
Six years old....a MN golden gopher at 3 yards! Got very lucky!

Bow was a green fiberglass Fred Bear kid bow (wish I still had it!)

A great thread!

Mark

19-Apr-17

Dyjack's Link
Rabbit I chased through thorns and shot in the head with a field point. Arrow hit a rock and blew up. But at the time I thought the rabbit just had an unusually strong head.

19-Apr-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
CARP in Ohio marsh in 1955. It all started with a sharp, pointed long stick, because back then as kid we did not have any money to upgrade. Later a pitchfork and later on, when my mom wondered where her butcher knives had gone (we attached them to a rake handle and used them as spears) they purchased me a 35# recurve bow, fiberglass arrow with a barbed head, a reel that was attached to the bow. Robin Hoods we were and having fun. Well until we came out of the march covered with blood suckers. OH, Well, that was the start of my hunting passion which still burns brightly ,to this day.

Pictured is the first deer I killed in 1962 while stationed in the USAF in the UP of Michigan. Robin Hood lives! My best, Paul

19-Apr-17
1997 when I was 7-8 years old. Sneaking around in my granny's yard when I came upon a cottontail. Couldn't have been more than an 8yd shot. Put the arrow through his ribs. I'll never forget the look my granny gave me when I came struttin back in with a bloody arrow and rabbit in hand!

• Sitka Gear