Scooby-doo 21-Apr-17
t-roy 21-Apr-17
Charlie Rehor 22-Apr-17
mission man 22-Apr-17
mission man 22-Apr-17
Scooby-doo 22-Apr-17
Cheesehead Mike 24-Apr-17
20-Apr-17
I currently have 2 points in Iowa, and the unit I hunt is zone 4. My concern is, I don't want to skip the Kansas application if Iowa is going to take 3 points to draw. I have hunted Iowa every year I could since 1998, and have seen the tags go from 1 point 10 years ago, to 2 points the last couple times I've drawn, and now it looks like the tag is teetering on 3 points. Hunting both states isn't an option this year, so I'm curious as to what your opinions are....?

20-Apr-17
Based on last year's draw, it is very unlikely you'd draw an archery tag for Iowa zone 4 with two points this year.

20-Apr-17
Agreed, only a 3% chance you'd draw with 2 points based on last years stats. Get another Iowa point and give Kansas a try. Good Luck.

20-Apr-17
Thanks for the response/opinions. I was thinking the exact same thing, but was looking for reassurance!! Lol

20-Apr-17
Just buy a point in Iowa and you'll know for sure you won't have the option of hunting There this year, but will know in all likelihood you will next year. It's only $50

20-Apr-17
I have 2 points for Iowa and I am just buying another point this year even though the area I would put in for looks like 2 pts would draw I figure 3 will be a sure thing. As has been said its only another 50 bucks. I will put in for Kansas ad take my chances although it is getting to the point that Kansas is not a sure thing anymore. I would think you should try for Kansas and buy a point for Iowa. Scooby

20-Apr-17
KS apps are way up from 5 years ago. Many units that always had leftovers are not so much anymore. The odds are posted online, I suggest reviewing before applying.

21-Apr-17
I've drawn Kansas every year for the last 7. Last year, all but 20-30 people drew tags in our unit. I'm fairly confident I will draw an archery tag, although the way its going, I think "every year luck" is going to come to an end soon in our unit, with the number of applicants on the rise!

21-Apr-17
Charlie, I believe your 3% number is based on the worst case scenario that the 483 applicants who applied for Zone 4 and did not draw all had 2 points. In reality some of them probably had 1 or even 0 points so the odds may be somewhat better than 3% for somebody with 2 points.

21-Apr-17
I've got 4 points but I just drew a Montana elk tag. To save my marriage I'll get another point. Iowa next year!

21-Apr-17
When is the deadline for applying for a point in Iowa?

21-Apr-17
Me and my Buddy apply and have never drawn zone 4 with less than 3 points.since 98?

21-Apr-17
I'm not saying that the odds of drawing Zone 4 with 2 points is good, just that they might be somewhat better than 3%.

21-Apr-17
If you've got a chance to hunt Iowa no brainer !

21-Apr-17
mission man the problem is if you apply and don't draw you cost yourself a year that you could of bought a point and made your odds go up considerably for the following year. I have 2 points now. I am buying one this year and going into 2018's draw with 3 points will pretty much guarantee me a tag in the unit I want. Shawn

21-Apr-17
Scooby. I'm not following you? If he applies for a tag and doesn't draw, that's the same as buying a point, except the state gets to use his tag application $ for a couple months vs just being out the $50. If you apply for the tag, but don't draw, you still keep your points plus build another one for next year.

22-Apr-17
Cheesehead Mike: If someone applies with 0 or 1 point they have 0 chance of drawing so I don't see any sense in doing that but if you assume of the 483 that applied but did not draw and 1/3 had 0, 1/3 had 1 and 1/3 had 2 points that would mean 161 people had 2 points and only 12 drew. That is 7.4%. I'm thinking the majority of the 483 that did not draw had 2 points which would make the odds around 3%. Worst case is some where between 3% and 7.4%. Based on Mac5's question of only being able to hunt one state I'm playing the odds of Kansas this year and Iowa next year. Fortunately being a retired guy I'd go for both even though the odds are so small. Additionally, odds are getting worse as point creep hits Iowa too. Good luck all! C

22-Apr-17
????

22-Apr-17
lol that's suppose to be a thumbs up !

22-Apr-17
Thanks T-roy, I thought by applying you lost out on the chance to get a point. I have two points now, I cannot really hunt there til 2018 so I will just buy another. Scooby

24-Apr-17
I agree with you Charlie, it's probably not much difference...

• Sitka Gear