t-roy 12-May-17
Charlie Rehor 19-May-17
midwest 19-May-17
t-roy 19-May-17
Hawkeye 19-May-17
04-May-17

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
After seeing Jeff D's big shroom on the "Turks and Morels" thread, I thought I'd start a trophy Morel Mushroom thread. I found this one my daughter is holding many years ago growing out in the CRP. It's even taller than it looks in the pic as the top was actually folded back from growing up under the brome grass.

Post 'em up!

04-May-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
A friend's daughter found this one on her first ever shroom expedition last year.

04-May-17

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Kodiak  's embedded Photo

04-May-17
Kodiak......I remember seeing that pic when I was a little kid. I thought it was real :-)

04-May-17
Morels elude me. I've actively sought them out only a few times, but I've yet to find one. Granted, I'm usually on the water fishing in the spring, but I spend some time in the woods and haven't even run into one. Just about every other desirable mushroom in our area? Yeah. But no morels. Have some good chantrelle spots and can get as many sheepshead as I can take most years. But no morels.

Do 150" buck photos make me jealous? Nope.... 350" bull? Just a bit.... Morel trophy photos? Every single time

05-May-17
How do you prepare the stems on the large morels? I cooked a couple this week and ended up not eating parts of the stems because they were chewy and tasteless. The tops were good.

05-May-17
Elk yinzer, I was the same way, couldn't find them to save my butt, drove me nuts to see folks around here finding bags and buckets of them when I couldn't find ONE, but didn't give up, stuck to the basics... the trees they like, south facing slopes early, soil temp, following a rain, put some time in, and like with most things, the pieces gradually fall into place.

05-May-17

Jeff Durnell's embedded Photo
Jeff Durnell's embedded Photo
I saw a good sized bear yesterday while I was out, and this guy. No morels though.

05-May-17
I'll put morels #1 on the hard-to-spot list, unless they are GARGANTUAN like t-roy and Midwest's kid's ones. Out here on the left coast you gotta have a burn, and usually access is real tough.

07-May-17

Greg Kush's embedded Photo
I found a dang nice one the other day. The one below it in my cap was also just a foot away from the real big one.

07-May-17

snapcrackpop's embedded Photo
I find them in flat areas where bark is lying on the ground or rotting stumps & logs.

07-May-17

This one was a few years back. What a freak of a stem!

07-May-17

I found this "trophy clump" of morels about 25 yards from the huge stem morel in my post above just a few minutes earlier than finding that one. Too bad that was back when I just had a flip phone with a low quality camera. I count 30 morels in that clump that I can see. I'm sure there were a few more that you couldn't see in the photo. Crazy.

07-May-17
Those are some dandies! I love the big morels....cut into strips, bread em, fry em....like eating a mushroom steak. Plus, you don't have to find as many. :-)

11-May-17

SJJ's embedded Photo
SJJ's embedded Photo
NY

11-May-17
I have never been brave enough to pick any, I guess I'm worried about picking the wrong ones:/ I have them though, and they are wonderful!

11-May-17

Slightly dried, but lots!

11-May-17

I count 15...

11-May-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Consolation prize after an unsuccessful turk hunt.

12-May-17
Troy, you're never going to take a trophy shroom if you don't pass the 2-1/2 and 3-1/2 year olds. Let 'em go, let 'em grow!

12-May-17

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
A plate full of deliciousness!
midwest's embedded Photo
A plate full of deliciousness!
The big ones come towards the end of the season. A friend/coworker found these a couple days ago on his farm.

He practices QMM, t-roy. ;-)

12-May-17
I don't think we have any of the non-typical genetics like that around here Nick, besides, these were all "management" shrooms!

19-May-17

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Bigun
Bigun
Looks a great year. These are from New York State

19-May-17
That's a whopper C!

19-May-17
That one looks like it got bumped when it was in velvet, Charlie!

19-May-17
Good night Charlie! Impressive sir...well done:)

• Sitka Gear