BIG BEAR 07-Jun-17
Bou'bound 07-Jun-17
snuffer 07-Jun-17
09-May-17

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
GT 340s
GT 340s
Going to see Ron and Jeannine for the third year in a row. Going with Stan H who I met the first time there. Stan and I went last year again with some friends. I took a smaller bear the first year and Stan took nice bears both years.

Stan is driving from IL to my home in KS and we will head up together from there. Plan to stay in Winnipeg one night. Stan and I hunted my farm in MO a couple of times together, and both of us took deer.

Have started to get ready. Built arrows last night.

09-May-17

Spyder 34 aluminum and Pro-Defiant, aluminum.
Spyder 34 aluminum and Pro-Defiant, aluminum.
Wanted to document this hunt for family and friends. So looking forward to spending time with good people. Ron and Pat know their stuff! And Jeannine's cooking is exactly what everyone has said-awesome! Only criticism, you will put on weight;)

On another thread I posted my main bow split a limb a week ago. So, I purchased a new bow so as to have a backup as you never know...

Both bows set up alike, 65 lbs. 28.5 draw, 278 fps

09-May-17
The Pro-Defiant will replace my regular Defiant 34 that has a split limb. I appreciate all the advice given here as initially the Pro was spraying arrows. As of this morning it is grouping nicely out to 45 yards. Hard to feel comfortable about an out of country hunt without having two bows dialed in, at least for this worry wart.

09-May-17
Truck goes in Monday for an oil change, tire work and inspection. Clothes are ready, as is most gear. New Garmin big screen GPS also going.

Will try to update. Verizon says my plan covers Canada, and it did the first year but not last year. And my card passport is good through 2020.

09-May-17
Have a great trip Frank! One year ago today I was heading out for my first sit with Bear Track. look forward to seeing how your trip plays out and seeing the fine bears you fellas bring home! Safe travels and best of luck!

09-May-17
Good luck Frank!!!

We look forward to your update!

Mark

09-May-17
Good Luck! Get a big one!

10-May-17
Good luck. Keep us posted.

10-May-17
Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10-May-17
Allow the anticipation to make the time before the hunt slow to a crawl....it'll be here soon enough.....enjoy yourself.

10-May-17
Awesome! Good luck and I'm excited to hear how it goes. I can't wait to get up there again.

10-May-17
Enjoy the hunt! Kiss Ron and hug Jeannine for me, or Vise versa! LOL

11-May-17

First 3 shot group, 15 yards with BHs.
First 3 shot group, 15 yards with BHs.
Thank you for the good wishes guys!

Great bow shops (B&B Archery, Kansas City, MO) combined with excellent staffing (Henry) are worth every penny!! They were able to put my new limbs on today, so I will be headed north with the bow that I have the most confidence with. Thanks Henry!

11-May-17
Yes sir Frank you found my favorite shop I have been going there since 1982 when they were basement bandits hence the B&B. Great people and service Henry makes a great bowstring as well. Earl and Millie Foster started the business in the 70's I believe and they were both super people for the sport Millie used to shoot against the top women in the country! Good luck on those bears!

17-May-17
John, I believe it was '94 or '95 for me. Did not know how the name came to be, thanks for that! I could not go in for a year after Earl passed. Him and Millie were always very kind to me!

In Finals this week, but still getting things together. Did my once a year hand wash on the truck (2011 Tundra w/ 138,000) and vacuumed, Armor All, etc. Even cleaned the windows. Man, it looks pretty good after all of that, LOL.

Oil was changed Monday (Castrol Edge HM 5W20). Probably start getting stuff to pack in it tonight. Still fine tuning the Pro-D, but it is good for a backup right now. New arrows fly good, and will be topped with brand new Thunderheads 100 upon arrival at camp.

Last year Ron had a site that would have worked well with a blind so I thought I would throw a DB in the truck just in case.

Checked with Verizon and told them how my cell worked 2 years ago while up there but not last year. They said I have a much better phone now and I will get a daily text when I am in Canada asking me if I will pay $2 more for coverage. We will see. If you do not hear from me while up there I will update upon arrival back home. The anticipation is fun. I always look forward to the drive up, but not so much for the drive back.

18-May-17

Habitat for Wildlife's Link
Was doing my final tuning today and was curious why the 2016 Defiant 34 and 2017 Pro Defiant 30 feel slightly different. Noticed the 34 has the number 2 cam and the 30 has the number 3 cam. The 30 gets the full 7" brace height, but is about 7fps slower. Thought this tune chart from Hoyt might help others. It even has my 2013 Spyder 34 which has the least brace height-it is the fastest but obviously takes better form to be just as accurate. I think I am going to like the new Defiant. I will give up a little speed (279) for more forgiveness.

19-May-17
279 fps will pass through 2 of the biggest manitoba bears standing side by side and the arrow will still but a hole in the drum behind them! IMO thats the max speed I try to achieve, best of all worlds! Good luck, the bears are super hungry up here this year, rut is about to begin you should have a great hunt!

19-May-17
When does your hunt start? How many days?

19-May-17
Thanks. 5 days starting Monday.

19-May-17
Carcus, We're you just up there? I agree on the speed. Anything above that is too difficult for me to tune properly. IMO confidence is more important though I do know guys who are excellent at shooting high speed bows. A man has to know his limitations...

19-May-17

Loaded up and departure less than 10 hours away.

19-May-17

Above is inside truck, this is bed.

19-May-17

Relaxing at my house the night before departure.
Relaxing at my house the night before departure.
My hunting partner, Stan.

19-May-17

Cut my hair all the way down in support of my sister-in-law who lost all of hers this week after her third chemo treatment. Only downer about this trip.

20-May-17

We are here!

20-May-17

We are here!

20-May-17
Good luck. Tell Ron & Jeanine, "Gomer says hey". Wish I was up there again this year.

20-May-17
Service did not initially work, so I do not know if I will have contact for long. Trip was safe so far. Staying in Winnipeg over night and headed up tomorrow late morning.

21-May-17
Will be leaving Winnipeg in a bit. Had a great rest. Loved looking at all of the bear success stories posted here. Stan and I are fired up!

21-May-17
Get in the stand ASAP, we killed two 7+ footers on friday, big bears are on the move!

21-May-17

Have to wait untill Monday. Thanks and congrats!

We are here at BT and have wifi.

Here is Stan and Jeff.

22-May-17
Great turkey dinner with mashed potatoes, mixed veggies, stuffing, gravy...finished with lemon pie! What a way to start!!

Ron had us all meet for orientation last night. Good group of guys with 2 here that will be filming for a TV show. Most everyone currently here has hunted with Ron before.

Weather has been rainy or cloudy the last couple of days, and cold. It is expected to improve this week.

Time is 4:45AM and I already heard a grouse drumming. Stan and I will head out to hunt the 'trap line' baits with Pat later today. Hopefully his outstanding tracking skills will not be necessary as we will all make good shots. Will check bows later this AM. Stay tuned.

22-May-17

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
The Trapline...

22-May-17

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Frank, when I was there last year a grouse down the road to Ron's camp would follow along with me on my morning walk before breakfast. Wonder if he is the same one you hear drumming now!

Nick, you make the trapline look almost tropical. This is what it looked like last year during my hunt!

Good luck today Frank and say hi to Pat for me! You should be having breakfast about now getting ready to head out and check baits! Man I'm missing Manitoba!

22-May-17
Great weather starting tomorrow, bears will be moving!

22-May-17

Thanks guys! Great start today, awesome eggs Benedict!!!!!

Hung a stand and shot two from 17 yards in wind. Good confidence builder.

22-May-17

22-May-17
Checked baits. Looks good. Lunch in an hour, shower and then off to hunt.

22-May-17
Sic'em Frank!!

23-May-17

Headed to the bait.
Headed to the bait.
Thanks Steve! No beer taken tonight by the group, but many seen or heard. I had a beer break a tree and "blow" but did not see him/her.

23-May-17

Bait site I was at tonight.
Bait site I was at tonight.
Stan saw a monster so he is going back to the same stand tomorrow if the wind is right.

23-May-17
Brotsky, Thank you! Glad we are not having that weather. I had a grouse drumming while on stand but very far away.

Also had a pine Martin steal a huge meat scrap out of the barrel. It had to weigh as much as him!

23-May-17
Up at 6am. Let Pat know last night I will pass on baiting this morning. After back surgery 2 years ago those ATV rides are not fun. Pat is very accommodating and it worked out for me to walk all the way out last night from #2 on trapline. Since I missed my normal morning 2 mile walk that worked out great. Think I will be at Christmas tree bait today and be able to walk in there. Beautiful, sunny morning in our area. Wind has died down.

23-May-17

Bait will be. 20-21 yards at today's stand per Pat. Wanted to check my 15 yard pin at that distance. Good to go and hopefully I will do the same under pressure.

23-May-17
Good luck.

23-May-17
Jeff was in camp with us one year. I bet he is keeping everyone entertained with his greatness... not.

23-May-17

Lunch even better than it looks!

24-May-17
Wind changed. Plans changed. I was at Camp bait. Wind blew from water to me over bait. Saw nothing except a pine Martin The three of us with Pat saw zero tonight, but the other guys are not back yet so stay tuned...

24-May-17

Tonight's baby Martin.
Tonight's baby Martin.

24-May-17
The other hunters saw at least 4 bears and one shot taken.

24-May-17
good luck

24-May-17
Thanks.

24-May-17
Good luck. Hope the wind cooperates today.

24-May-17

Thanks guys. Ron has my rug done from my 2015 bear. Hopefully the paperwork comes from Ottowa in time for me to take it home with me.

24-May-17
Say hi to Dean for me, good buddy. His birthday was yesterday!

24-May-17
We sang Happy Birthday to him.

Bear recovered! I was not there for pictures unfortunately, but a nice full black one.

24-May-17
Ghostbird, I was just going to say the same thing about Jeff! Ha! My brother and I still come up with "Jeff sayings" from that trip.

25-May-17
Tough afternoon. Very windy. 5 hunters back, saw nothing. 3 hunters still out so there should be some good news. Will update tomorrow.

25-May-17

Well, those southern boys can hunt! The second bear this week was recovered last night. The two friends filming have both tagged out. Very nice black bear.

Stan and I decided to leave this morning. With a sister-in-law receiving more bad news and the bears not cooperating.. Next week should be good with the river and lake baits ready to go.

26-May-17
Home safely!

26-May-17
That's one thing that's always in the back of my mind getting the guys and Gals back safely to there family. That's great u made it back home safe.

26-May-17
Thank you Alexis and thanks to those of you following along!

Obviously Stan and I were disappointed, that might be the understatement of the year. Including my time last year, I had 8 evenings of hunts to see one bear. Same amount of time, Stan had two bear sightings including the one he took last year. Obviously not what one expects, especially reading along on other site sponsors' threads like Alexis' as well as other success stories from non-sponsors here. I appreciate those who responded and tried to help us out while up there. We both will be back, under different circumstances. You do not have to harvest an animal to have a successful hunt, but should expect to observe more than pine martins:)

Hopefully the private communication I sent will help improve things for future guests.

Thanks again!

26-May-17
Bummer you guys' didn't harvest bears. From what I understand the weather has not been cooperating at all, which doesn't help things. Who knows, maybe things would have turned around on your last two days to hunt. Hard to say.

26-May-17
Les, I am sure that will be the story. Bad weather for two years? Look at the other threads with successful hunts nearby with the same weather. You should have better luck going to fresh sites at the lake and along the river. Sincerely wish your group the best!

26-May-17
Too bad that you had to leave early and I may be reading between the lines too much here - but are you disappointed in the outfitter efforts?

26-May-17
There are always multiple variables at play...weather, luck, hunter, outfitter practices etc. I tried to give an honest report and think I have accomplished that.

I will be going back and using a different outfitter. That will give me more experience to answer you fully as Bear Track is all that I have hunted bear with.

Thanks.

26-May-17
Sorry your hunt didn't go as planned Frank! Glad to hear you made it home safely. I hope your sister in law is doing okay! I had weather issues on my hunt with Ron last year as you can see above and didn't see anything the first 3 nights and then had good luck the last two nights and ended up shooting a bear. That's how it goes sometimes with bear hunting unfortunately from my limited experience.

26-May-17
I wasn't insinuating anything. I truly think it is a bummer you guys didn't have a good hunt.

I've never been on any type of guided hunt, new waters for me. I do know I won't be working, and I get to spend some quality time with a pretty cool kid. I'm looking forward to what transpires.

Best of luck next year!

26-May-17
Thanks and no problem.

Brotsky, Again, thanks. I understand that is bear hunting. Maybe compare more than just our experience over the last two years with others, and other outfitters. It was not just Stan and I not seeing bears.

I talked to a hunter who the week before us close to the same area saw 25 bears in one week with 6/8 hunters tagging out the first night.

No matter the conditions, observing 1 bear for 8 hunts is...

I am trying to be very polite. And Christian-like. There are a lot of guys for whom a hunt like this is very rare if at all. I am glad the web site changed regarding number of bears one can expect to see.

FYI, the hunt turning around by me getting one bear to shoot is not a success. I went, and will go again, with the expectation of seeing multiple bears, regularly. Not every night, but most nights. That is a success whether I take a shot or not.

I was up there last year and had a week of no bear, a different week than your three days of no bear. Maybe there are just no bear?

26-May-17
Les, Best of luck to you as well!

26-May-17
I've been on Bowsite for a long time. I think this is the only negative post I've seen about Beartrack Outfitters.

Could it just be a late season activity this year?

How was the lodging and meals? I know the bear sightings were low but how was the rest of the experience

26-May-17
Kelly, The lodging is absolutely fine, and as you know the meals are first rate!

But, I go to hunt and SEE bear. I know Stan does as well. If it was just about being in nature, I have my farm for that.

All of us are different, and have different goals. I get that. For me it is not about the kill. I want to observe bear, and hopefully have at least one chance. I believe many think if I killed a bear I would be happy. If I had seen multiple bear, or even one per sit on most days, that would be a success. I hope that makes sense?

I bet most going up there feel the same way. If outfitters understood that, maybe it would help? That excitement one receives from being close. Just like with deer hunting. You want to get that feeling more than once per season.

Honestly, I could eat nothing but p&j for 5 days straight. I would take that with having multiple bear interactions as opposed to great food and no bear. We have a lot of fine restaurants where I live, but no bear;)

I am overly analytical, but regarding the weather if all outfitters had the same results, ok I accept that. I guess I read other threads and talk with other hunters.

And with weather, Stan was with me this year when I took a young buck in a hard snow storm, and another 3 days later in extreme cold. Weather as an excuse only goes so far, IMHO.

It is not my intent to irritate anyone, just think this might be useful information. I would have liked to report: great food, wonderful accommodations, numerous bear seen by all, one shot opportunity. Thanks.

27-May-17
The outfitter controls what he can, weather is not one of them. It always pay's to hunt hard till the last day. No bears? no way! Good luck on your next hunt.

27-May-17

27-May-17
I've been on 2 guided hunts in Ontario where I didn't see a bear all week. I've baited for bear on my property in Michigans Upper Penninsula every year since 2009. I've captured trail camera pictures every year of Bears at my bait. But it wasn't until 2015 that I actually saw one of those Bears at my bait and killed it. It can be very frustrating sitting a bait for a week and not seeing a bear...... but it happens. If I wanted to REALLY increase my odds of killing a bear... I'd book another trip in Alberta... I hunted there once and saw Bears every night...

27-May-17
We left after only 3 days at Bear Track as well. But we had 4 tags filled and one of the friends in my hunting group has a cabin...on a lake in Minnesota...and a big Ranger....sooo.

The last guy to kill in our group sat 2 nights and saw zip. Ron moved him again and he had multiple bears come in at the new stand. A bear ate his seat pad while they were recovering his bear.

This was my one and only guided hunt...one and only bear hunt but here is my take on what I observed from my extremely limited experience. Some of the best baits are likely the hardest to get to and may be a long, rough ride on the back of a quad or a treacherous river crossing in a dinky boat. This keeps a lot of the less adventurous, less mobile, less fit hunters out.

No way I would leave early on a 5 day hunt. The next sit, you may be covered up in bears or have a giant come in. Especially since every other aspect of the hunt was apparently good.

Hope the next hunt meets your expectations and prayers to your sister in law.

27-May-17
I also hunted with Ron year before last, took son and Grandson. They had the time of their lives and did I. I choose not to shoot a bear on the last day, but the opportunity was there. My son and grandson pulled a double on the forth night. We saw very few bears the first 3 nights as weather was a bitch. But working with Ron, checking cameras and sign at baits, collectively we came up with a plan that put us on bears. It's unfortunate that you had to leave early but as others have said, it is a 5 day hunt for a reason. Hope everything works out for you!

27-May-17
Thanks for the responses guys, and the PMs as well.

Kevin, glad to see you are still around. Yes, I did harvest a bear that first evening 3 seasons ago, thank you again! I remember you told me at least twice going in I was going to shoot a bear that evening. You had that young one coming in very regularly, in fact every evening you told me. I regret shooting him only because I would have liked to observe more bear, but being a rookie... Thanks again!

I think some things changed since then. You don't work there now;) I remember the lake baits being open already because Stan shot his bear there the first night as well. I don't remember the place being for sale back then either!

Midwest, I take precautions after back surgery. So, I will not ride an ATV on the metal portion to fill baits when there is no reason to. The guide does not need the help and there is a good chance you will not hunt that bait any way. I am pretty fit for 58, still hang a stand I packed in .5-1 mile 5 times a week, mostly mornings in the dark. Have done close to a dozen fly-ins in Ontario, riding rough water is something I am used to, especially growing up on the shores of Lake Erie. I just take precautions like an air cushion and an air ride seat in my tractor. Trying to delay having to get a couple disks fused, which based on my activity level will occur since surgery removed the better part of two of them. It is just a matter of time. Just like I walked out of #2 Trap Line, I am not afraid of the dark or being in the bush. Still have the heart of a Marine!

Again, my assessment is simply, for a variety of reasons, the stands I was assigned had been used enough to have educated the bear. Everyone here can read the other threads, talking about experiences at other locations. We all should have seen more bear. Big Bear, thank you for your polite input! Having lived in MI, MT is not the same and I know you understand that. That is why we go up there, to have the experience that other threads show and other hunters talk about. It is expensive, we want to observe bear. It really is that simple. 8 days over two years, 2 different hunters observing a total of 3 bears in MT is something anyone thinking about booking there should consider. That is a total of 16 observation days for 3 sightings!

You can try and make this about me, but it is not. I appreciate those who have recognized how gingerly I have treaded here. Let's be honest, most people want to avoid this type of exchange. Timid in writing or the outdoors I am not. Most people defending this have admitted limited experience. Talk with guys who have more. That is what I did. I yet have to have one of them to tell me my thinking is off base.

Again, hunters will shoot some bear here. If I had the same experience this year as the first year, I would not have shot had I seen other bear. I desired to see multiple bear that would give me a choice. It happens with other outfitters nearby. So, when I go there I guess we will be able to judge if it is me. I promise if I go and am capable, I will post my results. Hope that is fair?

Thank you all, sincerely!

27-May-17
I went on a hunt in Ontario where out of about 15 guys in camp,, only about 2 saw a bear all week. The camp you are talking about is in Manitoba right (Mt ??)... I would predict better hunting in Manitoba than in Ontario,, but then again,, I would probably choose Alberta over Manitoba for bear.

27-May-17
Three seasons ago at Bear Track my oldest son took his first bear ever on the first night. It was possibly a mistake because it was small and the first one, but he's happy. We had terrible weather and high winds. I didn't get my chance until the last night in a terrible storm 7 miles across the lake. I thought I made a perfect shot, and still lost him, a giant of a boar that stood shoulders above the barrel. Still haunts me. Maybe common sense would have said to avoid going out as it was very risky with high winds and lightning, but heck, it was the last night. Leave before the hunt was over then complain? no way. Leaving early is fine if you need to or want to, but then don't complain. You had 40% of your hunt left.

If it's true that the outfit is for sale, the outfitter would have every reason to work even harder and keep results and satisfaction high. Knowing Ron, Im sure he worked his butt off.

Sorry you were disappointed, maybe next time.

27-May-17
Bear track outfitters is for sale?

27-May-17
Did not complain at all. Just stated fact. I did not need two more days of no bear or pushing into another Hunter's area.

Again guys, it is NOT about seeing ONE bear and shooting it. I agree, that can be done enough to keep numbers looking good.

I just received a picture from a hunter in the same area from last week with 6 bears on his bait at the same time. Again, read the other threads please.

This is not a personal attack. It is a report on my experience at an outfitter that may be useful to others.

If I were told that by staying 2 days more I would see a bear and kill it, my decision to leave would be the same. Sometimes it more important to send a message. Hopefully things will improve for future hunters that we should help look out for, IMHO.

27-May-17
I was at Bear Track with Frank last week. I saw 14-15 bears in the first three days. None were what I was looking for. I knew Frank and Stan were disappointed in what they were seeing so I didn't talk about the bears I was seeing. It would be rubbing salt in a wound. Cody sat were I was seeing the bears and shot one Thursday. I know it wasn't what Frank was hoping for but everyday new bears were showing on the cameras. I hope you have a great next hunt Frank I really do I didn't see a big bear and that's part of hunting big bears.

27-May-17
I was at Bear Track with Frank last week. I saw 14-15 bears in the first three days. None were what I was looking for. I knew Frank and Stan were disappointed in what they were seeing so I didn't talk about the bears I was seeing. It would be rubbing salt in a wound. Cody sat were I was seeing the bears and shot one Thursday. I know it wasn't what Frank was hoping for but everyday new bears were showing on the cameras. I hope you have a great next hunt Frank I really do I didn't see a big bear and that's part of hunting big bears.

27-May-17
Most of us call what Frank experienced, Hunting...

Kind of difficult to control wild animals, even in exceptional areas and the use of bait.

Imagine doing all the legwork, countless hours and time away from work and family, then sitting and not seeing anything for several days. Many of us do just that on occasion.

Hope you find what you're looking for on your next bear hunt.

27-May-17
Actually Dean we did talk about the bears Tuesday morning, one on one. You told me you saw 2, a small one and a sow dragging her butt on the ground as if in estrous. You were hoping this would attract more bears. We also talked about being Christians. And that you were friends with Ron.

Which facts are accurate now? If the latest are, then your logic is flawed. If others knew there were numerous bear around it would have improved morale for all. And that is what is called hunting, not Nick what myself and others experienced.

Either way I am disappointed and you need not contact me. Discard the business card you asked for and I will fully discount you telling me the respect you had for me in speaking up. I understand why you and Ron are friends.

27-May-17
Correction, Dean and I talked Wednesday morning. I remember telling him about being put in camp bait stand with the wind blowing directly to it on Tuesday. He agreed that was not good.

27-May-17
Wind and baited bears... talked about often and each time it's brought up part of me agrees it's very important and the other part of me says that only a fool would think that an animal with a sniffer on them like a bear doesn't know you're there. Ideally, wind would be "perfect"... but I and many others have experienced bears coming in on a "bad" wind and more times than not they look up at you in the tree.

Frank, what you experienced IS Hunting and maybe a little bad luck. Hopefully your next bear hunt suits your needs. Best of luck.

27-May-17
Nick, I appreciate the experience you have. But, read the other MT threads. Guys in PMs are posting totally different experiences. 8 days over two seasons, not a chance this is typical. And it was not just me.

I know you are sincere. And yes, you might get away with this with young bears or rut crazed, but I bet the experienced guys would not take the risk. Why possibly educate your prey. Not a smart strategy for a property you will hunt over several weeks. This was about ease of dropping hunters off. Thanks.

28-May-17
Frank I hope you can put off the spinal fusion as long as possible as I just had c6&c7 fused this past Wednesday. So now I have c4-c7 fused.

If you were limiting your distance to the stands and you were not taking the deeper stands then I could see where the bear may not be there due to the pressure of human activity.

Once again I wasn't in your shoes but in my 40 years of bow hunting usually the guy/gal who hunts deeper and harder in the woods or away from camp tends to see more? Just my opinion.

As Nick said it's hunting.

I've bought 2 bear tags in my life 1. When I went elk hunting with my cousins from Couerdelene, had 1 bear in at about 90 yards and spooked a sow with cubs walking back to camp. Other than that nothing else.

2. When I hunted at Blacktail Bobs cabins on POW Island. That hunt started out terrible. GPS took us to the wrong airport in Indianapolis, airline lost my gear for 4 days and I didn't see a bear me first 3 sits then all of a sudden all hell broke lose!!! Crazy amount of bears I saw. But it's called hunting and not killing for a reason.

Like last year when that goofball Jack Harris showed up he wasn't in the stand 20 minutes and let's a 125 skate on by. The next 3 days he didn't see a thing, hell I didn't see my first deer for the first 6 days. It's called hunting not killing. Yes I put jack and I on our hottest spot on the property and zilch for a solid week. I post an annual hunt I do on our lease lots and lots of deer. Not last year until the end of the hunt. That's called hunting not killing!

I do hope your next hunt whoever you hunt with affords you with a world class boar.

I have been dying to afford to tak Morgan to Beartrack Outfitters but with Morgan's medical expenses and mine unexpected 4 months later it looks like I might be able to take her on her 28 or 30th birthday lol JK.

I appreciate your feedback and it's even better the more you wrote as I get to see in detail what your issues consisted of.

I also got to see what others posted as well.

As they say there is always 3 sides to a story and if we played 21 questions between you and Ron the root cause would show up.

Best of luck and this has been a very educational thread for sure.

28-May-17
To imply That Ron or Pat put you on a bait because it was easy to drop you off there, really??? You can't expect anyone to believe that who knows Ron and has read the reviews on Beartrack Outfitters. What we don't know is what did you do while you were on stand, the hunter has to do his part also. You left early, that hurt your chances badly. I hate to hear that you did not have the experience you were looking for, but to say that Beartrack did not do there part to control what they could is wrong. This is hunting, not killing. Good luck on your next bear hunt.

28-May-17
Kelly, I would have went to any stand and said as much. They could of had me walk in 5 miles and I would have done it. It was easy as I was not back packing in a stand. Your statement is kind of funny in that several of us mentioned the stands being too close to the road. I brought a stand and a blind. I would have carried either in to any location needed. Nothing I did there was as strenuous as my daily walk and exercises. It was a break.

Followed along with Morgan's updates and are very happy for your entire family!

After some PMs I am convinced what happened last year was intentional. This has been educational for me as well. I was impressed with Alexis's statement about transparency and looking at any pictures. It was Stan who first pointed out his frustration at not reviewing pictures daily like what we experienced the first year. Lots of excuses such as camera was not turned on, 2 times the SD card was put in wrong, no camera. When we were shown pictures of day bears there was no date.

The camp stand was not touched from when they were last in there until I hunted it. The two shoulder bones they placed on top of the meat barrel we're still there, both barrels still standing. Why worry about wind if no bear are using it?

Is it reasonable to believe the guides know the bait friendly locations and then place their friends and TV crew there? Again, this is coming from the education I am receiving behind the scenes. If you are paying good money, results should come close to what other outfitters in nearby areas are experiencing. People should question what gives before their down payment

A friend of the outfitter sitting a busy stand, multiple nights with wind changes, electing not to shoot while others see nothing and do not know what is going on? No doubt some of you will explain why that is OK. And when we asked to go back to a stand they now said was hot, we were told the wind was wrong. Had to laugh at that after sitting at camp bait.

Ron told us last year that BS brings in enough business that he does not have to do trade shows any longer. Well, an accurate picture needs to be portrayed then. This was our honest experience. The mods here know I am not the only one to have these thoughts. Defend all you want. We will not go back or ever recommend BT, in fact just the opposite. Thanks.

28-May-17
This is really unbelievable, Food was great , lodging was good , Hunter hunted 3 of his 5 days, left camp with his buddy in tow who had seen bears??. Look its hunting, you gave up 2 of your days of hunting. and it sounds like you were the only hunter not seeing bears . As an outfitter myself it raises the question ,what were you doing in your stand that could have contributed to the lack of bear sightings? What was the cost of this hunt ?

28-May-17
Ward, Again, I did not go for the food and lodging.

Being, as I told Pat, I had a crow land in my tree 3-4 arrow lenghts away and stay several minutes, numerous Ravens on the ground several times, pine Martin etc. My tree stand etiquette was absolutely the same as has allowed me to kill a lot of game in my time.

Not to be rude, but how can you interpret any of what is posted above as I was the only one not seeing bear?

What does cost have to do with it? If I paid more would I see more? The other outfitters charge about the same.

28-May-17
We had a couple of guys last week who were not doing too well. They actually saw their bear the last hour of the 6 day hunt. Many last minute bears are taken each week. It was unfortunate you had to leave early as it possibly kept you from harvesting the bear you were looking to take. Ron is an outstanding outfitter, unfortunately things didn't work success wise for you. Wish you all the best on your future bear hunts. Chris.

28-May-17
I'm not making accuses for BearTrack but like I told you when I hunted with Blacktail Bob I hunted 3 straight sits and didn't see a thing. Had I had left and went home that would have been my story. I hunted with Bob and it was terrible! But I stayed and didn't quit.

It paid off spending my ass in the seat of a stand vs. in a vehicle heading home. But I took it up as hunting vs. killing and as I said it was like all hell broke loose. I saw more bears than anyone in camp I believe?

I know I wasn't in your shoes Frank so I only hear what your saying, we have not heard nothing from Ron. As I doubt he would. If he felt a lot of this was on you he is taking the high road by not bashing a client? But as I stated above there are always 3 sides to a story.

But I look at it as you felt you paid good money for a weeks hunt. You didn't see anything for a few days and said screw it I quit!

Had you stayed the whole week and hunted hard the whole week I think you would have a much better argument (if you never saw a bear the whole week).

Like I said I have no skin in the game but when you quit midway thru I cannot help but say (sorry Frank you put a lot of this on yourself)

Let's hope your next bear hunt is the best ever and you shoot a world record.

28-May-17
As someone who has been on over 25 baited bear hunts since 1987 the biggest problem with them is some people think it is like picking the lobster you want out of the aquarium at the local seafood restaurant. It isn't.

28-May-17
Good one boubound...

28-May-17
Kelly, Bou, all... You are right, you were not there. If I hunted whitetails with the same approach, I would blame myself for not seeing anything. I don't, and that is why through the years I have shared scores of harvested game on this site.

I have been sent pictures of hunts nearby at the same time with multiple bear. Multiple hunters have said privately that is what one should expect in MT. The web site used to say the same thing.

I stayed last year in bluebird weather. I watched on BS as the next group came in and hunted fresh stands and scored. Same excuse last year, weather. I am surprised the bear put on any weight being they only move in certain weather obviously. Amazing anyone kills anything up there at all.

4 guys in our cabin. Through Wednesday evening, 11 total sits (one guy arrived a day late due to an injury) the group observed one deer. How you guys turn that into me only not seeing deer is just dishonest. Yes at 58, I am not as tough as I once was but being a Marine I am mentally tough as I ever was. I offered to pack in a stand, just like last year I was able to convince Ron to take me to stand before lunch. This was the only day I observed anything. Give me some freedom to adjust as I would back home, then blame me. Heck, I would have had no worse results!

No one is asking to pull a lobster out of a tank. But I did not get where I am at being stupid either. Any of you who want to sit on stands already used with your scent blowing right to the bait, go for it. The only bear I saw last year came to the bait facing me, laying down watching me the entire time while he ate. No shot, yes I knew the bear knew I was there. Understandable, and exciting!!!!!!!!!

Now please take the time to read some of the other threads and comments. And Kelly, as some have recognized I have been very polite. I only started to defend some, what I think are ridiculous comments by people not there, so anyone wanting to hunt bear in MT have information worth considering.

As you can gather from another thread I started, I would rather do something productive at my farm than not see any bear. It is tough though getting out of the wheelchair to change implements;)

So, now I challenge you. Explain to us why other outfitters in the same area have different results all season. Did I effect that also?

So, I did not go up for food. I did not go up for lodging. I went up to see multiple bear and MAYBE have a shot opportunity. These expectations were in line with the marketing. It is what others have delivered and documented here. I really don't care about your experiences on other hunts in other areas. If I was going on one of those, I would do my research and my expectations would be in accordance to that research. And I would be prepared mentally and physically or I would not go.

There is a reason I don't back down. I am confident in my hunting ability and too many people have agreed with what I wrote. But, it is not easy doing this.

I have been honest with all of you, so please quit the subtle insults. Bear hunting the way it is done up there is not demanding at all. If I had an outfitter who allowed me to drive my vehicle from camp to stand, I would remain there all day going in only when light enough to make sure nothing was at the bait. Read Dijardins thread, a hunter killed a nice bear in the morning.

It is called adjusting, trying something different, willingness to learn. It is what Stan observe me do by hanging a stand in bitter cold two nights in a row adjusting for a nice Buck's pattern changes. I scored. It was tough getting out of the wheelchair to hang the stand, but somehow I managed while Stan was in a heated blind.

Yes, a little sarcasm, but IMHO you earned it.

So what next, I was too blind to see the bear, too deaf to hear it???

28-May-17
Bear patterns can be very localized.One area can be hot while another goes cold it's normal especially in May.Same cold area can turn hot overnight the following week.Crustal ball would solve that.Seeing nothing means nothing,seeing lots of bear is entertaining but seeing the right bear is the goal.It takes seconds for a bear to appear often when you least expect it.Missing two days certainly cut the odds by a lot.500lber last day and I doubt this thread would exist.My opinion only.

28-May-17
So lets see, you wanted to tell a guy who has been bear outfitting for 20 plus years where to put a stand and when you should be in it? You have how many years of bear hunting experience? If you read much on Bow site about guided hunts 2 things stand out: listen to your guide and hunt till the last minute of the last day. Doesn't sound like you did either one and now it's his fault you had a bad hunt?

28-May-17
OK, so here is the update I received. I was in transit back home from the farm so I am not sure about one thing: The four of us in one cabin harvested no bear. The other two guys who stayed, at least one saw nothing all week, and that might be the same for both of them. Not sure as I lost service for a bit.

Other cabin, 3 hunters harvested, and Dean says he passed. 50% success rate at best, very low numbers observed. TSI, appreciate your comments, but you are in a totally different area. Please look at some of the MT threads. Which, BTW where is the BT thread since the first week?

Speaking with a gent who I might be able to go as a backup next year to another MT outfitter. They can hunt all day if they desire. He does so, and shot his biggest bear at 1:30PM. Was not trying to tell the outfitter anything, just making suggestions Skippy that others seem to have deployed with at least a modest level of success. It is what I do during the rut. P&J, some crackers, 2 waters, good to go for the day. I will post the next time I go.

Kelly, can we be a little more objective now? Is this all me or is there some blame elsewhere? Baiting started when? Baiting practices are? Pressure per stand and general area? Hunting routine actually a routine or does it vary?

Kelly, I was going to hold this back, but I think it is fair to ask now. I remember a short time back when Nick claimed you were an attention getter. You defended yourself, but you remember the feeling you had inside I am sure. I also defended you. I thought your documenting some of your family trials and challenges was about seeking support from the BS community and recognizing the power of prayer. Still think that about you!

I also believe I will be held accountable for any intentional inaccuracies I speak. This may be in your words, my perspective, but to me it is the absolute truth just as your sharing your family trials is about the desire to have comfort from those you share much in common with. While others see it differently, to you your view is correct and honest and transparent. I know I have done the same here sir!

Do I bet the next crew on fresh baits will have better results next week? Yes I do, and that would suggest there is some credibility to Stan, I and others believing the bear were already educated on our stands. Or maybe some other practices will also change increasing the success rate. Would that not be good for everyone? I don't think there was a great success the week before. This means several hunters continued to hunt stands late into the week last week and this week. Furthering educating the bear? I believe so. Just in case you want to question the other hunters, one has been on 50 trips to Africa and hunted every continent. The other is only a semi-god with 5 200" plus mulies. I am not even in their shadow, let alone their league. It was not us guys!

Someone said to me that after I left with my negativity it was like a breath of fresh air with bears on the table. It was only 1 bear, one Dean let his young friend Cody have. Honesty, for some people it is just really a tough thing to do.

28-May-17
I don't need to be there to know bear behaviour it's pretty universal.But anyway Your the customer and the customer is always right.Good luck next yr but do finish your hunt.Remember there 5-6 day hunts for a reason.cheers

28-May-17
Cheers back at ya TSI. You have always been kind, even on those political discussions we would participate in:)

I am not always right, not even close. But, based on hunting experience, and the third time here, I think I made the right call. Time is precious. I used it to work on the farm so I would not experience no wildlife later this year:)

28-May-17
Just to clear up any confusion,, (on my part)... Manitoba is MB......

28-May-17

Bear Track's Link
I have neither the time nor desire to refute all of the claims in this thread, so I'll just let 14 years of Bear Tracks reputation speak for itself.

As far as not updating Bear Tracks thread, I've included a link to the newly updated thread. During bear season, internet updates are not a top priority, but I'll do my best to keep that thread updated. We've also started a Facebook page for Bear Track Outfitters, and I will be posting trailcam photos and updates there as well.

29-May-17
BB, You are correct. it is my hyper-sensitive spell check, it even corrects bear to beer.,

Ron, there is nothing to refute. You had a 50,% success rate two weeks in a row. I know of two other nearby outfitters with much higher success rates in the same period. One being a BS sponsor has found the time to kill bears and post results. The other also has a plum of an operation at a nearby lake, but is not a sponsor.

Let's not just talk success rates which can be deceiving. How about average number of bears observed, number of multiple sightings on stand at the same time, % of hunters not seeing anything, PY qualifiers, color phases, average weight and estimated age, etc.

I don't know if either of them are taxidermist, but I bet they would have had my rug back before two years. Still waiting.

Again, these types of threads should improve the operation, hopefully. Hunters ought to ask what the plan is each day. Why are they being assigned that location? What is the history there regarding hunter use and bear activity. What is the forecast for the wind that day and how does that relate to stand, bait, main trails access. I know we are supposed to trust our guides but I think the good ones wanting to be fully transparent would want to share and teach their clients what they love.

BTW, do dandelions only grow in your area? Ron, you and your crew are quite capable if you want to. Do it!

29-May-17
I wonder why would you go back to the same outfitter 3 times if you were not happy with his services? If you leave early that is tossing in the towel as you need to be patient and up you odds by hunting every day of the hunt. There are many things that can affect bear sightings as you can see in previous comments my suggestion is to book a high end spot and stalk hunt which you may have more sightings. I do think that some outfitters need to rest baits as bears sometimes get conditioned to time that hunter is on stand and just come in after dark. It is different if you have hot sows hitting a bait and boars are getting shot and a new boar will find that sow therefore I would continue to sit that bait. I have been on 3 bear hunts which 2 were with friends/family that had outfitter friends which I sat 2nd hand baits for 11 nights and 5 mornings. I finally booked a good baited hunt in Alberta and shot a 19 in bear on the second night. I know patience can wear on a person when you are not seeing anything.

29-May-17
WY, I would not have gone back this year, but was invited. Believe it or not, I am an eternal optimist and thought things would be different. It was an attractive invitation.

I will go again as I said but with a different outfitter. It was just so cool having a bear come in silently and watching him. I want to see this at least a few more times. I had never experienced it before. To me it was way cooler than any deer I have taken.

Another point I want to make to Ron's response. Trophy hunters do see other bear, check Dijardins thread out again. And BTW, this explanation holds no water for me not seeing bears. I wanted a respectable specimen, not a trophy.

For Les and crew I expect things will improve. Not only fresh baits, but as someone PMed me, the current baits have had another week to be found. And with Ron mentioning new bears this is probably part of the explanation

This hunter said his outfitter went through 16,000 pounds of oats before the season began. It would be nice to know an honest take on how that differed at BT.

I went the same week last year. If there were limited bear numbers at his sites because of bait practices and these bears experienced hunters they could have changed their behavior. Open fresh baits, new bear pushed from other areas or searching for sows finding old baits, the last 2 weeks hopefully will be much better than weeks 2 & 3.

Hopefully Ron will think about what he can do different for the future seasons.

29-May-17
"Hopefully Ron will think about what he can do different for the future seasons."

I am sure this thread has him reassessing everything he ever thought he knew about baiting bears and running an outfitting operation. He is very fortunate to be getting such sage advice for such a low price from an expert. He should truly benefit from this in many ways for years to come.

Heck he should offer you a free hunt just to get more exposure to the solutions and ideas you have.

29-May-17
Frank,

I was going to PM you but thought it best I put this for everyone to see so there is 100% transparency.

If you took my post as attacking you personally I do apologize. That is not my intent. I did state that there are always 3 sides to a story. No matter who you are!

Beartrack Outfitters has a stellar reputation on Bowsite and it has me baffled how this is the first truly negative post I've ever seen on Bowsite about him, (I may have missed any negative post before).

If you feel I am attacking you I want you to know that is not my intention at all. As I said I had spinal fusion on Wednesday and I am loaded up on some serious pain killers and muscle relaxers.

The only thing I do see that is hard for me to grasp is that you left early into the hunt? Not sure if I read correctly but did you leave early last year as well?

That is the only thing I can say that I would scrutinize on this thread about your post. To me it's unfair to put down an Outfitter. For not seeing anything when you packed up and left early. I am trying to be 100% objective about my post.

As for the other guys not seeing anything either in the other cabin I can see where you are coming from. I live in Ohio and when I hunted in the 70s and 80s we were lucky to see 6-9 deer an entire season. Then in the 90s - 2013 it was common to see 10-30 deer a day several days per season. But easily see close to 100 deer a season.

Then 2 years ago numbers were waaayyyyyyy down. Jack Harris view of my property would be it sucks! Because he only saw 1 buck in his 3 days out of 6 he was scheduled to stay.

If he would have stayed for the 6 days it would have still sucked for him as the area he and I hunted sucked which I believe do to the freaking weather (80 degrees).

As for Nick attacking me with his views on me I could give 2 shits about. He is younger than my 2 boys and he has no idea who I am as a person other than what I type. Did I let him get under my skin yes, but then I did a self check and never even think of him unless I see his post here on Bowsite.

I do think Bowsite has a very tight family per say as you, Ron myself are the regulars here on Bowsite.

To never hear of one I'll post about bear Track it threw a lot of folks off guard. It did not help giving an unofficial negative review when you didn't stay the entire hunt.

As for my belief in our Creator and His son Jesus yes I have 100% faith in our religion.

Frank I want you to know I do appreciate your support and prayers for my family and I do not forget those here on Bowsite who take the time to be supportive.

Once again I was trying to look at this post from the outside looking in. That is the reason for my statement 3 sides to a every story.

Ron has a stellar reputation for most here on Bowsite. Bear Numbers may be off, weather could be shitty, etc.

Had I left early when I went to POW after three nights of no sightings I would be able to have the same review you gave. But I stayed and the bear sighting literally exploded the stand I was on. But since I stayed my review is it was an awesome freaking hunt for sure. I tagged out and got to fish in Alaska as well truly an amazing time bear hunting in Alaska.

Once again please don't take this as attacking Frank just a fellow bow hunter trying to look at the entire overall picture.

And as I ended every thread I hope your next bear hunt leaves you with an amazing monster bear!!!!

29-May-17
My wife and I hunted with beartrack last year. Top notch outfit. We booked this hunt for our honeymoon and had a great time. She observed 8 bears and I seen 6. I shot a cinnamon color boat on day 4. She missed a big bear on the first night in the stand and then held out in hopes of seeing it again. She never seen that bear again and therefore decided to eat her tag.....she had plenty of opportunity. The stand she missed her bear in was maybe 400 yards from a road...it didn't seem to effect the bears at all. Ron is a first class guy and does not play favorites. I didn't know Ron at all prior to our hunt and had a great experience. Bears are wild animals and obvious behave as such....anyone looking for a great experience and a chance to shoot a nice bear should consider Beartrack.

29-May-17
You said that you would not have gone back to this outfitter again but you got an "attractive invitation"... what does that mean ?? Did you get some kind of discount on your hunt ? The only thing I can say is that I wouldn't cut my hunt short for anything on a paid 5 day hunt... unless it was an immediate family emergency,,,, Or falling out of the tree and breaking my back... or a forest fire wiping out the entire Province,,, You know,, something like that. Time is precious,, but 2 more days of hunting and maybe getting a crack at a bear is precious time well spent.

29-May-17
I've got no problem with the negative review. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but it seems to me we have a lot of "bowsite regulars" defending a "bowsite regular". We only no one side of the story. I'd sure like to hear Rons side. Nothing wrong with an honest review if that's what we're getting.

Frank, you probably should have stayed the entire hunt if you were going to post a bad review about an outfitter who is held in high regard on here. It takes away from the credibility of your review that you left due to low bear sightings. We all know how fast that can change.

Personally I would have just posted an honest review in the outfitter review section and let it be. The can of worms is opened now.

29-May-17
Unless there was illegal activity or serious mistreatment of clients this thread serves no public interest.As for improving an outfitter hmmm I'm not sure this is the place to do it.This kind of thread can be very hurtful financially to a family and suggestions should have been between the outfitter and clients.certain things like illegal activity and client mistreatment should be public interest but a week of low activity isn't cause to deter others from an outfitter as he's already lost a couple clients $$

29-May-17

Bear Track's embedded Photo
Hydro bait
Hydro bait
Bou'bound, funny you should say that Frank deserves a free hunt. The one he came on and left early from was a free hunt! These are some of the bears that he and Stan were hunting last week. In my opinion, they would be well worth staying another 2 days for.

29-May-17

Hydro bait
Hydro bait

29-May-17

Camp bait
Camp bait

29-May-17

Camp bait
Camp bait

29-May-17

Bridge bait
Bridge bait

29-May-17

Bridge bait
Bridge bait

29-May-17
Took a little time to get back as I had commitments to attend to today.

Kelly, I did NOT take it as a personal attack. Hope the fusion is a complete success and follow those doctor's orders!

Guys, the PMs have a totally different flavor and I can tell you there are people happy this thread was started.

Please refresh yourselves and start at the top. I was very mild in my wording until some of you just took one side without being there or knowing anything.

To Bou and others, please look at the thread regarding tips for baiting bear. Notice how many said pay attention to their nose. Bou, I don't need to meet any of your self imposed abilities or experience to understand what happened on my walk in Tuesday and the entire sit. It happened at least twice last year and concluding once again I would be put on stand with such little attention paid to basics, I have better use for my time. But, I would not have left unless Stan felt the exact same way. He controlled the decision.

Once again, look at other threads and the results are different. If you remember, it was 2015 when I asked on this site who I should book a bear hunt with in Canada. Kelly, we even spoke on the phone, and I thank you for that!

Now, if someone were to ask me the same question today, I could not in good faith say book with BT. Yes, no doubt some will have success. Are the odds better with other outfitters in the same area? I say yes, you may not agree. I can accept that. This was an honest thread just like many semi or live hunts. I wish it had ended the way some of you hero worshippers wanted it to, but it didn't. You laid out all the reasons it was my fault. I tried to defend my view. I have not backed down not just because I know my accomplishments as a hunter are at least partially transferable, but because so many with the knowledge and experience have supported me. They for good reasons do not want to be put through this. It is not easy, but it is the right thing to do. I would want this information if I was booking a hunt.

And nothing in life is free. My friends would use the word generous to describe me. My out of pocket expense was more than anyone but Stan and I know. He would definitely use that word.

Bou, I am not so arrogant to think I know even a small bit of what an outfitter does. It is not a question of that, but a question of willingness to do the same for every client. Arrogance is thinking someone who on paper knows less than you can teach you nothing. As a teacher, I know how inaccurate that can be.

Do I think adjustments will be made. I hope so. It would be a huge disservice if one thought the posts here are reflective of the entire BS family. I can accept the negatives coming my way if it results in others having a better experience.

And I promise to be honest with regards to my next bear hunt.

Hope all of you had a great Memorial Day and had time to reflect that others paid the ultimate sacrifice so we can have these discussions!

29-May-17
Ron, the hunt was not free. Is night hunting allowed? What good are pictures after dark. Date, time stamp not a big help. I just see this as more of the same BS Ron.

How about that rug? And skull?

Also, are those big enough for your trophy hunters? Where are the kill pictures? Or are the bear educated enough to only show when hunters are not there? Maybe they just found the bait?

See other threads mentioned for kill pictures with big bears.

29-May-17
Oh my God... the truth comes out...... he was on a FREE hunt...... left EARLY........ then complained about not seeing bears. I don't have a problem with posting negative reviews here if they are warranted...... I went on a hunt in the mid to late 90s for bear in Ontario. There were very few bear sightings which happens.... but the outfitter was horrible with people and he basically told everyone in camp they were shitty hunters and that's why no bears were seen. I wouldn't hunt in his camp again and I posted negative reviews here. A different camp I hunted in had similar results in Ontario,, but I WOULD return to hunt with that outfitter and I did. Outfitters and guides are in the business of dealing with PEOPLE.... half of there job is catering to people. You should feel like a friend or family when you leave if they have taken care of you. From what everyone else is saying about this outfitter.... it appears to me that this is an outfitter that I would not hesitate to book with....

29-May-17
Thanks again for your input boubound.

29-May-17
Bear, It was not free. I will let Ron explain the specifics. I saved all emails. And yes, part of the decision to leave is not wasting time and money for both parties.

You really ought to know all the facts before leaping.

29-May-17
The only fact I need to know is that you left after 3 days of hunting.... 3 days !! How in the world can you say you are wasting time and/or money by hunting for 2 more days ?? You planned a 5 day hunt when you went up there. You were already there.... how much more money is it going to cost you to stay and hunt for the 2 more days that you had already planned to hunt anyways?? Your food plots back home aren't going anywhere in 2 days... You aren't making any sense .... How in the hell is hunting over a bear bait in the bear woods a waste of time ???? Ha !!

29-May-17
I think there is a market for high fenced bear hunts. Ha ha.

30-May-17
Bear, Let go of our past interactions for just a little bit.

All of you go to the baiting tip thread. Read Ron's own words about 4 decades of experience. Read how important to him wind consideration is. Look at the date.

Look at my very bland post after Tuesday night. I hunted exactly the setup he likes described, only the water was upwind of me and the bait was downwind.

What doesn't make sense to me is you guys challenging me for challenging my expert going against his own words. How does a guy win with that? I waited to see if any of you had the integrity to read what HE said first before slamming me.

Look, it is a free country. Based on my experiences there, it was not something for me. I get you might conclude otherwise.

The day before this trip I was elected Department Chair. I have a ton of work waiting and new knowledge I must learn. My work load has increased phenomenally and I may or may not get all of my farm work done. You get to make the call for yourself as I do. I don't think less if you decide something different. But I do hate when people come to conclusions without all of the facts, especially in your profession.

I did a very transparent accounting of this trip. My expectations were in line with the marketing. I was fully prepared in every way. Everyone gets to make their own call. I have no doubt more attacks will occur. I am sure there will be those who say they want nothing to do with this type of bullying.

I was as bland as I could be in writing my report. I expected to be challenged, it should be that way in fairness to all parties.

I used Ron's own words. I compared what I experienced to what is public for all to see. I have communicated with hunters and folks involved in the industry. I know human nature and that folks will say more in private than they will publicly. If I thought my conclusion was incorrect, I have enough integrity to say so. Ron communicated to me once that my character was tops with him. I guess that changed because I posted a less than stellar report.

Many here came out in support of Ron. I believe for the most part all of you are sincere. I disagree, but that is life. People will evaluate us on how we conduct ourselves.

Someone had to push me to be blunt. They said they were reading between the lines. That changed the level of candidness I posted with.

For me, just me, at this time with everything going on in our lives it was my decision to spend the time on more fulfilling activities and with people I love. Life is too precious to waste on things that only bring frustration.

Regarding the high fence comment, I wanted to see multiple bear. The kill remains secondary. Multiple bear in this area is a realistic expectation that others have provided and documented here.

Bear, it is your call. I cannot change your heart or mind. I have been truthful, and fair to all parties.

For those of you believing there will be no changes, he updated his season thread as one example that there will be because I believe Ron will listen and adjust, and continue to attack me. All of us have fragile egos to some extent. That is good for him, his operation and us IMO.

Thanks again, and yes I know I am long winded:)

30-May-17
I don't know Ron... never met him... and have no horse in his race. I don't care what the wind was on your first 3 hunts. I wouldn't not hunt the last 2 days of my hunt good wind or bad wind. You have a chance to see and kill a bear,, Maybe even a dandy bear.... if you are in the stand those last 2 days. You have ZERO chance if you quit and go home. I just don't think it's fair to leave after 3 days of hunting and then post the review that you did. The end for me. I'm out of this one.

30-May-17
We hunted the same week with an outfitter not far away and had a fantastic hunt. Saw many bears each sit and everyone in camp killed a nice bear along with the week prior, all hunters killed bears. I also heard operation was for sale.

30-May-17
Bear, I posted a review for three days. As I stated, it was never about seeing one bear and shooting it. After 3 days of not seeing anything I would have needed to see multiple bear per night the last two, and even with no shot opportunity would have then considered the hunt a success. Based on 4 guys at that time not having seen any bear, I concluded chances were slim. I don't know how to say it any clearer, one bear sighting with a kill would not have met my expectations, even if he weighed 500 plus. That would have been pure luck! And based on Ron's own words, the opportunities did not improve in the area I was assigned. I made the right call for me. In fun, I hung a stand at my farm on Saturday. Sat for awhile. Did not see any bear. Thought I was still in Canada at BT:)

I appreciate bigkev stepping up. I do not know him or have ever communicated with him. But his report mimics several that I received while up there. I tried to have another outfitter take us for the last two days. We had enough funds on us to pay their pro-rated normal rate. We would have provided our own food and slept in the truck. we could not make it happen.

Just yesterday I received another PM telling me about another outfitter who had his first hunter in 7 years not see anything for one night.

You guys have threads to verify what I have said about other hunt experiences and a person with enough courage to post it. Thanks bigkev. You also have Ron's posts and pictures that do not dispute my accounting. It is a common practice to attack the person to distract from the issue, and people will take that into consideration when booking a hunt.

Each of us gets to make our own decision about what they would do. I have been honest and fair. Bear, you and others would arrive at a different decision. I am fine with that and will not attack you because I disagree.

I started the thread before the trip. I never intended to write only the version that would be acceptable. I don't think the results some of us have experienced in recent years are mainly the fault of the hunters. JMHO, and again, all of us get to use the information here as we see fit. Notice how I documented the first bear kill which was eaten by wolves. I told the truth but did not publish the negatives. Again, the evidence is there for anyone willing to be objective that I have been fair. Thanks Bear.

30-May-17
Habitat, this is a never ending battle for you. You will have guys question you that don't know the facts and at the same time you will have guys side with you that don't know the facts on bear tracks side. People are correct that he has a pretty good reputation. I don't know him and as I already have a bear outfitter and won't go anywhere else. It won't affect me either way but at the end of the day he does have a family to feed. Maybe you did just have bad luck , maybe bear track didn't do his job up to par who knows. But fighting back and forth with the boubound s of the bowsite world is never endingand just does damage to,both of your reputations (one could ask how's the mountain lion mount coming;)) but we don't know the facts. Imo you should just let it go it is what it is . go on another hunt and see the differences. Maybe you will say man I'm glad I changed outfitters. Maybe you won't. . although a lengthy review may have seemed like a good idea I think there's a reason there's an outfitter review section.

30-May-17
Fair points. Everyone has a family and must spend their money wisely. Caveat Emptor?

It is fair to ask about something that should have been completed long time ago. It is about credibility.

I will let it go if the uncalled for disparaging ceases.

30-May-17
The end!!

30-May-17
We could have summed this up in far less than 136 posts. In Frank's OPINION he did not receive what was advertised to him. He shared the facts of the hunt with the rest of us to form our own OPINIONS. In my OPINION, Frank should have hunted all 5 days. My OPINION is that he would have seen bears, as it is a FACT that I did not see a bear for 3 days at BT last year and saw bears the last 2 days since I chose to stay and hunt. Take Frank's information and use it or discard it. I believe he is giving his honest OPINION of how he felt things went for him. We can agree or disagree with that opinion. I don't see any reason to beat him up for having one and sharing it, that is what this site is about. At the end of the day it's up to each individual where they spend their money. Personally if I had to choose I might go back to BT or I might try somewhere else. The wife and I are going bear hunting again soon, where we go is up to me and my OPINION :)

30-May-17
Yes he is entitled to his opinions, but not at the expense of someone else. He did not hold up his part of the deal. Listening to your guide and hunting till the last minute of the last day!!!

30-May-17
Kelly I only left the hunt with you cuz of the weather and remaining forecast. It was 20 degrees cooler back home. I shoulda whacked that nice 125" 8pt ! LOL. Well this was an interesting read in the office "library".

30-May-17
After 18 years of running my own baits. You can never predicted a wild anilmal and what they will do. I do know the more I sit the more they get use to scent and the more comfortable they get with the bait! I have a 8 bear night one day and get skunked the next day! Hunt everyday you can!

30-May-17
Habitat, I was at the camp you called. It was my first time there, but I will be back next year. I found out about it from a kind Bowsiter who was not allowed to post the name, since he was not a paying sponsor. I have hunted every province, some multiple times for bears and was very happy with our outfitter. Even the nights that were cool, rainey and windy, everyone saw multiple bears. The nights the wind died down were extremely exciting. I watched 8 bears the night I killed my boar. We even had good bears walk up within 10' while walking in to stand. Needless to say, it was a bit unnerving. Sorry about your hunt. Best to you.

30-May-17
Every province wow that's impressive you need the three territories for the grand slam.bet there's very few hunters that have achieved all 9 bear hunting provinces.congrats

30-May-17
I haven't hunted the territories. Was close though on my BC goat hunt. Beautiful country!

30-May-17
Bigkev, Thank you! I will be in touch as your friend said I should contact you. And your outfitter is extremely close to where we were at. Thank you again and I hope you receive many PMs asking for information.

05-Jun-17

DFS's embedded Photo
DFS's embedded Photo

05-Jun-17

DFS's embedded Photo
DFS's embedded Photo

05-Jun-17
LOL!

But it should say... Come Back. I Promise To Show At Another Outfitter Who Knows How To Bait And Pays Attention To Wind Direction...

05-Jun-17
And. Here. We. Go. Again.

05-Jun-17
I know the outfitter and area very well. You could not ask for 2 of the best most honest people like Ron and Jennine in this industry. Ron has many many years of guiding experience and you need to put your trust in the guide till the end of the hunt. You left early, period !!! You have no reason to bitch and complain. I've been a guide and bowhunter myself for over 30 years and as you could imagine we've guided people from all walks of life. 99% of those people are the best people in the world. But there is that 1% that are know it all's, no matter what you do, how hard you work or how many bears you do or do not see it is not good enough and he/she will bitch and complain no matter what. You my friend are the 1%. On behalf of the Provinve of Manitoba I'm deaply sorry for your experience. Love to hear your baiting techniques since we're doing it wrong. Always love to hear how the Pro's do it.

Keep up the great work Ron !! Those are some great bears your guests are harvesting this spring ??

05-Jun-17
Lineman, I thought we were just funning now. A guy has to be able to take a joke. I do every day I shave;)

In seriousness?, those who are supportive of a certain outfitter need to put their money where their mouth is. That is what I will do. And I encourage others to do the same!

05-Jun-17
Let the entertainment start back up.

05-Jun-17

I never b&c, I documented our experience. I provided hints for people to evaluate our experience to what multiple other outfitters in nearby areas documented.

I read Sean's response to hunting wind direction and how he would take a portable and adjust. I asked to do just that.

Adjusting and understanding habitat allows me to take deer like this off my own land. Yes, probably only 1% of hunters will do that.

Gets a little old you guys playing like someone who disagrees with you is just stupid. And no, I did not quit. As verified by someone else, we we're willing to pay good money to stay up there for two more days and hunt with another outfitter who was posting mostly successful hunts. We we're tired of the BS.

Look, outfitters make us pay in non-refundable deposits. They take care of business for themselves, and hunters need to do the same for each other. I encourage anyone wanting to book with any outfitter to do so after reading multiple opinions and being fully informed. Take into consideration how far out you have to book and how long their waiting list is to replace any cancellations.

Thanks.

05-Jun-17

I was, and remain willing to let this die. But I do not think it is in the best interest of potential clients to believe the story line you are trying to sell. For whatever reason, my outfitter did not produce for the last two years what others like Desjardins posted completely transparently with no excuses. And while this just started back up I received another 2 PMs supporting my view.

He might be the most honest lovable person in the world. That is not what I pay for. It is not personal, it is an honest accounting.

05-Jun-17

This doesn't happen by accident, but by someone who understands a little about hunting and paying attention to the little things. Not ONE of these was over bait.

05-Jun-17
You don't want to let it go..... YOU LEFT EARLY. Yes you did quit. Period. Not debatable. Spin it any way you want. You are wrong.

05-Jun-17
Habitat do you like cheese with your whine. When i was a fishing guide some guys demanded the fish bite because they showed up. Come on now. Its pretty obvious posting on outfitter reviews was not sufficient for your ego needs. Well i hope you are sufiiciently vented now.

05-Jun-17
What DFS and Big bear said, right on the money!!!

05-Jun-17
Nice deer. They have nothing to do with your bear hunt. Outfitters May and probably will consider the general normal wind direction (west to east) when they set up a bear bait. But I'll bet you my next paycheck that if a bait is getting hammered.... that bait is getting hunted by a client no matter what the wind. If you hunt one or two or three or even more days in a row on a bear hunt... chances are you have not had a shower. The bears know you are there. They are not prey. They are not deer. They are predetors and scavengers. Some Bears will be spooky.... some will circle the bait. Some will come in like they don't give a damned who or what is there. If you want to bring a portable tree stand to hang downwind of a bait because you don't like the wind.... then do it . It's your hunt. No outfitter is going to tell you that you can't do that if that's what you want to do. Don't expect the outfitter to do it. They already have stands at every bait site. If you can't live with that maybe you should stay home and stick to farming for deer.

05-Jun-17
Woo hooo !!! Little Birdie just told me one of Bear Tracks hunters just arrowed a Boone and Crocket bear ! They are standing over him as I'm typing this ! Congrats to the hunter. Patience pays off, Right Frank ?

05-Jun-17
Woo hooo !!! Little Birdie just told me one of Bear Tracks hunters just arrowed a Boone and Crocket bear ! They are standing over him as I'm typing this ! Congrats to the hunter. Patience pays off, Right Frank ?

05-Jun-17

05-Jun-17
The heck with seeing numerous small or medium bears just for entertainment........ give me a crack at a BIG BEAR !! You might not see him for days or even weeks..... then that beast walks in like he came out of nowhere !!

06-Jun-17
Pretty simple guys. A friend or family member is going bear hunting. They are paying with hard earned money.

They read this thread. They go to the last two years of Desjardin's threads. They contact bigkev about PLO.

Where do they spend that money?

If you pay me to hunt whitetails, you will see them. I would have liked to have been put on a hot bait, even shown just one, LOL.

Bear, thought you were gone;). You only want to see a giant, it is your hunt, your call. I went to see bear, not one. That is what was marketed. My money, my hunt.

You non-experts are too funny. This thread documented a hunt. If I had seen multiple bear, that would have been what was posted and everyone would be back slapping me. That is not what happened. We pay an outfitter because we lack the expertise to do it ourselves. We are admitting that when we hire them. We do expect results close to what others produce when charging the same amount, don't we? Every job I have had, no one accepted excuses. Yes, some days fish don't bite and bears don't show. Again that word 'some'. It was a lot more than some, and for more than just us according to the messages I am receiving.

I don't know how this is helping BT. I am not asking g for any money from any of you, nor do I really care what people I will never meet and will never have to deal with think about me. As someone wrote me, there are more lurkers here than posters and I am making a dent.

I hope that dent is more book bears, many more sightings and 100% satisfaction. Amazing to me how many times problems/issues get resolved once they are called out.

06-Jun-17
Have you ever seen any video of bears climbing a stand to check out a hunter... then climb back down and settle in and then hit the bait ?? I had a sow with cubs come to the base of my tree and look right up at me in the stand and pop her teeth and woof at me. She knew I was there. After a few minutes she settled in and took her cubs into the bait and fed. A deer would never do that. Your experience in deer hunting doesn't mean a thing in the bear woods. Trying to say your outfitter doesn't know what he's doing is only making you look like an arrogant ass. You not letting this go is why I came back...... Go ahead and book with another outfitter. God forbid you go 3 nights without seeing a bear with another outfitter.

06-Jun-17
Bear, Yes, I did quit. I quit Bear Track.

The response I received from Pat when wanting to hang a stand was I just could not get that out of my head, that being the bears might circle downwind. Remember, you guys are telling me I must listen to my guide. Which is it?

The only bear the four guys in our cabin saw was Stan's bear the first night. It came in 40-60 yards downwind of him, and then left. That is why I came up with the idea. After having a bear blow at me the first night and break a tree which was angling down wind of me, I thought it might be a good idea.

In full disclosure, I contacted another outfitter while there and asked their opinion. Was told with truly wild bear I may get lucky but not likely.

Bear, what those dear above have to do with bear hunting is that I did not always connect by following conventional wisdom. I think you have your outfitter to get your big bear. I look forward to reading about your hunt in the future.

06-Jun-17
Past results in no way guarantee that you will have the same results on ANY hunt. If you want a guaranteed hunt... go on a hunt in a two acre enclosure. You sir are making yourself look like an ass.

06-Jun-17
Bear, Nice to know we both get up early.

Yes, I just was sent a very recent video. And, I have had deer do strange things. That last picture, the deer on the left was shot and died 40 yards down wind of my stand. As I was climbing down, a monster I estimated at 180 started horning my dead deer. I had to yell several times to get him to leave, and he was there as I started to field dress my deer. Sometimes wildlife does unexplainable things.

But, both Ron and Sean said you should pay attention to wind. It was 8 nights to see one bear, just the facts please! (Hope you get the Dragnet punn) Any hunters go that many days without seeing a bear at the other outfitters mentioned?

Again, you have your outfitter. Let us know when you book. Please let us know how many people you recommend go there.

06-Jun-17
And you sir are simply making yourself look dishonest.

You have a valid point about past results. Past results also do not tell us what is going on today. Maybe an outfitter trying to sell has lost the fire? Maybe floods or other natural phenomenon have negatively impacted a certain geographic area? Many things not in the outfitter's control could affect the current situation.

I would like the most recent information when making an expensive booking decision, I think others probably do as well.

So along with the information on a B&C kill, how about other important information like average sightings etc. I see a huge difference in the transparency between Desjardin's thread over an entire season and a friendly birdie sharing selective information.

06-Jun-17
Information would fo you no good. You are obviously a self infatuated prima donna quitter. When the going gets tough you dont keep going. You quit and blame others for your shortcomings. Give it up unless you just like being insulted because we are not your momma.

06-Jun-17
I'm being dishonest about what...?? Dean said he saw something like 12-15 bears in the first 3 days hunting while you were there. The camp obviously has bears. I'm pretty sure if you asked to be moved to another stand they would have moved you. Go ahead and have your last word,,,, But the bottom line is you cut your own hunt short. Nothing you say can change that fact.

06-Jun-17
Pete, I must also be stupid, because I don't know what part of the hunt that was so tough that it made me quit. Was it the pre-placed stand, the ideal weather, or what exactly? If I were to not see game at home after plenty enough time of observation, yes I would quit that spot. BTW, those deer up above, everyone of those was a much tougher hunt.

I realize it is difficult for some to comprehend that there are people with enough ego strength to not care about what others they will never meet or be involved with say or think about them. I did not take your post as an insult, but your opinion.

I did not blame others, bear hunting this style is nothing more than counting on your guide to place you in a stand where you will have a good chance of seeing something. That did not happen, it was not my fault. Again, the other two in our cabin did not see anything the last two days. No surprise.

Why I started the farm thread, you will see. I will have a hunting thread this fall. It is about work and preparation, not quitting. But thanks, sincerely!

06-Jun-17
Bear, You are dishonest in measuring my results and criticism based on your standards of a big bear being what YOU are after. All of those bucks above, and more that I have harvested, all qualify for P&Y. None have ever, or will ever as long as I am alive, be submitted. I know that as a hunter the credit rests mainly with Blessing from Above and the areas I am fortunate to hunt.

Further, if all of you again would go to the top of this thread. I had a problem with my Hoyt bow, a split limb. I did not whine, I left the cheese in the refrigerator, and contacted Hoyt. Knowing Murphy's Law, I made sure I was prepared by purchasing another Hoyt. Why Hoyt after one problem, because I have bought at least 10 new ones through the year and never had a problem. Customer loyalty just like with BT, until proven otherwise.

Hoyt delivered as said. The Pro shop delivered as said. You all read my documenting their great service and recognition by name. Only 1 person responded to that. It was a portrayal of the truth as I saw it, just like this hunt was.

Further, you did not respond to Kevin's post, yet jumped on with DFS, a guy who posts out of no where on a thread I think most of us hoped was on the ash heap of history and then two posts later chirps about a B&C bear. W.C. Fields was right about fools, eh? I was born at night, just not last night.

Finally, you are a bear hunter. Are we not in the bear rut, late, at a time boars may wander in search of the last receptive sows, much like the late whitetail rut? I am no expert, but this is what I was told. So, a boar could venture into unfamiliar territory? Maybe you might begin to understand why I would not be excited about one big bear. I don't enter my own DIY bucks, with a bear other than coming up with the money and executing the shot I really cannot in good faith take any credit. The outfitter, guide, luck all play a much bigger role, and area also.

It seems like folks who have charged for guiding really get annoyed with this thread. Is it to discourage us from these discussions? I have tried to be fair and balanced. Some of you have come to conclusions with little knowledge of me, the area, or the outfitter. I posted the good (Hoyt Bow, B&B Archery) and the bad as well as the ugly (my picture).

Just let each decide where they want to spend their money. Hope that is fair.

06-Jun-17
This is a joke. I am sorry you had a difficult hunt. Especially after paying for it. I can only imagine the frustration. That would be tough to swallow for sure. That's hunting though. Did anyone guarantee a certain number of sightings each night? Or control of the weather or the animals? The outfitter? Cmon man. Especially someone like beartrack who's reputation precedes him. The guy auctions off a hunt every year for charity for crying out loud. There should be a place for guides to post about difficult clients. IF you expected your guide to control the weather and the animals you should have hunted with GOD. You are lucky you can afford to take the trip you took....yet you cut it short when the going got tough. Aint no way I, or many of the guys here on BS would cut a hunt short. A bad week hunting beats a lot of other bad ways you can spend a week. How many animals are killed on the last night of a "terrible" hunt? I can only imagine. I hope this thread gets pulled. NO legitimacy since you quit on it. Sorry man. It's all about how you finish. Anyone can start, its what you do when the going gets tough. How could you leave??

KUDOS to Ron for taking the high road although after reading this I am waiting for him to come on here and rip your ass.

06-Jun-17
"Ron and Pat know their stuff".....H4W. 3 years in a row with them and Stan took nice bears the first 2 years... You took one on year one... and year 3 you hunted 3 days. Dean saw 12-15 bears in the first 3 days while you were there.

06-Jun-17
Bear, How was the hunting the last three weeks, not two years ago. Thing change. Knowing your stuff and doing it are totally different. It was tough the week we were there, the week before, how about the week after? How active were the baits?

I continue to be educated. It seems outfitters adjacent to off limits park land is where the numbers are measurebly higher.

How is a client being difficult for posting the truth? I asked and everyone so far has avoided answering. Why did the other outfitters have much better results?

Again Bear, integrity. Loyalty is why I went back to both BT and Hoyt as explained above. Only one has been consistent. You were wrong about Slager just like you are wrong here. Get over it.

Guys, go hunt there if you think it is so great. I encourage all of you to do so. It will help keep prices down at competitors. One which I will be sending my hold payment to later this week.

We quit not because of tough conditions, but because we were tired of the BS.

06-Jun-17
It wasn't tough hunting for Dean when you were there. There were bears being seen. Maybe you should have asked to move to another stand. Maybe you didn't hunt until dark.. I don't know but I've heard guys say they got out of their stands a half an hour before dark because they were nervous about walking out in the bear woods in the dark. I don't know. What I do know is if you hunted the final 2 days that you paid for.. you might have killed a bear. You were not going to kill a bear by going home and hanging a stand on your land and sitting in it like you did. A lot of guys that can't afford a guided hunt would love to have those 2 days on a stand in the bear woods that you walked away from.

06-Jun-17
This year was a free hunt for you right? What a pathetic person you are. And you made your partner quit too and ruined his hunt. I googled you and you teach economics at a Juco in kansas. Some nutritionist you are!

06-Jun-17
God forbid you don't see a bear for 3 days with the next outfitter you book with. Honestly,,, if I was one of the other outfitters here on the Bowsite..... I would be hard pressed to take you on as a client after all you posted here. Just saying.

06-Jun-17
Pete, Nutritionist? I am lost with that one? But yes, I have an outstanding reputation there, well earned by delivering what my students expect. And no, the hunt was not free.

Bear, are you intellectually challenged? Dean was a friend. No surprise him and the TV guys were on active baits.

I walked out 2 miles in the dark even though Pat offered me an ATV ride, and the keys to his truck so I would not have to wait in the dark. I declined both, I fear no evil because I walk with the Lord. You simply are full of bull taking any shot you can. It speaks to your lack of integrity. I waited the last two nights until after legal shooting time just to see if a bear would come in. My eyes would only allow me to see until about 15 minutes before legal shooting light in the woods so I would not have shot. I do not believe in lighted pins, but have no problem if others legally use them. Just not my cup of tea.

Now, just saying...what other outfitter does not have clients see any bears over multiple sits? I hope they do decline me, lol! But answer that question, and refer only to clients in that area.

When you going to answer the question? Why is BT's record not what Desjardin's or PLO's is this year? Come on guys, speak up now.

Whatever reason you come up with, we all know it is something potential clients should consider before booking and paying the asking price. That is why you don't answer. So I am going to ask every time you question me now.

06-Jun-17
Again, to be totally candid...I am not sure I would have taken a shot at last light given what the wolves did. It weighed on our minds.

My only bear was a double lung, recovered by me and drug out by me well before shooting light ended and at least 45 minutes before Kevin got there. I would have wanted to limit myself to that type of scenario again. It is why I hung a stand upon arrival and shot every day. I did not need to be concerned with this though since we never saw any bears.

Still like to know how the bait activity was the week after we left. It would shed some light on all the accusations of the problem being me.

06-Jun-17

Hoss's embedded Photo
Hoss's embedded Photo

07-Jun-17
I've stayed out of this thread for it's entirety, to this point. I will say this and I will leave it at that. I've been on this forum for longer than most people here. I eat and breathe the outdoors. I am VERY limited with my vacation time and my funds. How I spend my time and money towards hunts is very calculated. I had never been on any type of guided hunt for anything in my life prior to last week. I have done plenty of DIY hunts in many hard to reach Wilderness areas in many states. I am not afraid to work hard, and I am very successful. In the 9th hour, on a whim, I booked two cancellatin spots with R&J at Bear Track for Memorial week. One for me and one for my son Hunter, who is 14. I've killed plenty of bears and Hunter killed one here in WI when he was 12. I booked this hunt because of the cancellation price, the Bowsite reputation of Bear Track, and the opportunity to do a spring hunt breaking up the long time between the December deer hunt and September elk hunts.

Besides the obvious of spending some quality time with my son hunting and not being at work, I had 3 goals for this hunt.

1) Get two bear kills on film

2) Test out the 100 grain Ironwill broadhead

3) Get some good footage of bears

Prior to the hunt I made arrangements to get to camp early on Sunday and start hunting Sunday night. Ron was accommodating with this. I would not hunt until Hunter killed a bear, so it was possible I would not even get to hunt. IMO I don't think many other outfitters would have allowed us to do this. Thank-You Ron. We got checked in mid-morning on Sunday. Ron had a plan for us that night. Reading the updates from the prior weeks I was honestly a little nervous for what was to come. Hunter shot a mid 150's boar the first night. I got great footage of it, and he was very excited.

The following morning I was off with my guide, Sean, checking baits. It's really nice that BT had cameras on all of their baits. It was fun to get in to rebait and check cameras. Unfortunately the cameras this time would screw us a little. We checked a handful of baits and there wasn't a lot of bears hitting anywhere. 1-3 bears per bait was average with maybe 1.5 bears average hitting in daylight. I was NOT looking for a monster bear. Just a decent bear and the opportunity to film multiple bears. Over the last couple years I have really enjoyed the video and still picture aspect of hunting. I was hoping to get some good footage on this trip. We had been planning on hunting Indian Trail 1. There was a big boar in there the night before at midnight, but only one small bear had been hitting there in the daylight for the last number of days. At the last minute we changed and went to a different bait. Wouldn't you know it, a great boar in the 6.5' + range showed up 3 hours before dark and was at the bait for over 2 hours with a sow. I didn't see anything on Paddletrail 1.

The next day was a repeat with checking baits and cameras with Sean. Sean is a great young guide and I can tell you that you will see some great things coming from Sean and Bear Track in the future. He's a hard worker and will do well. The thing I liked is Sean gave me the chance to give my input. Day 2 I hunted Indian Trail 1 where the big boar was the prior night. No dice, again no bears sighted. Day 3 was again like the others. Up early for breakfast and off to check more baits and cameras. Today it was decided I would hunt Indian Trail 2. The wind was wrong for some of the other baits we would have liked to hunt. I was in stand early and again it was uneventful.....until 9 pm. Then a nice bear walked out and right into the bait. Nice, not a monster, not a small one. I knew early when seeing him that I would shoot him when given the chance. I had yet to see a bear, sightings were slow for most people in camp, and I had a good bear in front of me. Within 90 seconds of first seeing the bear he was dead. I got down, looked him over and got back in the stand. I knew I probably had 3 hours in the stand yet, so I just kicked back and relaxed. Sometime after 10:30, right around dusk, another bear was circling around huffing and breaking stuff. It was pretty cool to hear, although I never saw it.

I'll summarize what I thought of the hunt.

Ron and Jeannine - great people, very accommodating, fun to be around. Jeannine is a great cook.

Guides - Sean and Pat. Good people. Hard workers, very friendly and knowledgeable. Willing to help with whatever we asked of them. Sean was our guide and I worked with him for many hours over the days. He understands guiding, bears, and he did play the wind without question everyday.

Baits - Lots of them. Over 40, and on average only 7-8 hunters in camp at a time. Cameras on all baits. Some of the baits could have the treestands worked on or upgraded a little. When I guided here in WI we had a huge variety of bait and made a lot of changes. There wasn't a lot of that here, but maybe with no other baiting competition a big variety isn't needed. I can't really say for sure. I did not see sign anywhere on any of the baits that they were overhunted. No garbage lying around, etc.

Bears - I do not think there is a high quantity of bears, at least compared to past years and what other hunters report seeing. There did seem to be a large bear on or around every bait that we checked. Maybe not daily, but that is typical of big bears, especially during the rut.

I was hoping to see a larger number of bears than I did. I do understand it is hunting and things happen. I do believe numbers are down from the past. Even if the bears were nocturnal, they would still be there on camera at night. Even though I wasn't seeing bears, I really enjoyed my time on stand. Seeing the camera pictures, even though lower numbers, I had the feeling that at ANY moment a bruiser could walk in. I've hunted enough to know that Sean was doing the best job that he could, and honestly I don't think I would have done anything much different. A couple of very minor things that we talked about, but nothing major. Even though it was slow, in this instance I would NOT have considered leaving early. Are there times I would consider leaving a hunt early, ABSOLUTELY. Time is precious. For me to waste vacation days is not acceptable. I don't feel I would have been wasting them, had I not killed on day 3, and hunted out days 4&5.

Will I go back to Bear Track. Not next year. This is not a hunt I can afford to do often. Someday I hope to go back and hunt with Sean. Stay tuned and watch, you will see good things from him, I'm sure of it.

If anyone has specific questions for me feel free to PM me or hit me up on Rokslide. I am documenting the Season for Hunter and I over there, I'll attach the link. It has pictures and video's of our season, including Bear Track which I am currently still updating.

If you post on here asking specifics I probably won't see it. I don't have the time in my life to waste reading the petty bullshit that goes on with some of the keyboard jockey's online, especially a few of them on this thread like....Big Bear, pete drummond, DFS. NOWHERE have I saw HFW (Frank) say anything derogatory, in bad taste, or really anything other than an opinion or educated guess. To call someone names and belittle them for giving their opinion is pretty low and speaks a lot towards the integrity of those talking. YES Frank did leave early. Yes there is the chance that he could have tagged out on night 4 or 5. That was HIS choice, he admitted it and gave his reasons why. Again all his choices and opinions. That's the great thing about 'merica, we can all have our own opinons and make our own choices. Is it likely that Frank would have seen 3-5 bears per night his last two nights, like he was hoping. Probably not, but we'll never know. Is it possible he could have tagged out on night 4 or 5? Yes, but we will never know.

I enjoyed my time in camp, my time around Ron and Jeannine, Pat, Sean, and the rest of the hunter's. I enjoyed my time in the woods as well. Was it everything I hoped it would be, no. Then again, that's hunting more times than not.

I

07-Jun-17

LesWelch's Link
I added the link I mentioned above, forgot in original post.

07-Jun-17
Well said Les.

07-Jun-17
Les..........For what it's worth..... Frank is saying his outfitter put him in a bad hunting spot simply because of the ease of dropping him off.......... and put Dean in a good spot where he saw 10-15 bears in 3 days......simply because he was part of a TV show crew. He left after 3 days. I'm sorry if I think that it's not appropriate to give that kind of review when he left early. P.S.,,,,, I've been around the Bowsite awhile too............since about 1995. That's irrelevant.

07-Jun-17
man you have spent more time typing on this thread over the past couple weeks than you saved by leaving two days early. if you had spent all this typing time in a tree stand you may have gotten a bear..............

time can't be too precious to you if so much of it is spent on this forum and topic

07-Jun-17
concise, relevant post again boubound. thanks.

• Sitka Gear