Jasper 18-May-17
Dino 18-May-17
AndyJ 18-May-17
Windwalker 18-May-17
BowmanMD 22-May-17
OFFHNTN 23-May-17
Bullhound 23-May-17
17-May-17
My son wants to get a back tension release; would like to hear some recommendations. Also tips on shooting one and if you hunt with it or just use it for developing a proper release? Thanks!

17-May-17
I have been shooting my friends wrist strap with buckle and back tension , he said its a good one to get used to back tension since I am used to wrist strap and buckle on my Rino xt . I plan on just completely changing over to back tension with wrist strap for 3-d and hunting . I'm not sure what the one I have been trying is called , but I know I like it and I will find out what its called . I just started using this back tension a week ago .

17-May-17
Start him with a Carter Honey 2 and set it so he lets off the thumb peg to release the safety. That action will mirror any other hinge after he gets it all figured out should he move to another hinge release.

17-May-17
Do you mean a resistance activated release or a hinge?

17-May-17
I have some of each collecting dust. PM me and we'll see if we can work something out.

17-May-17
The one I'm using now is made by Scott and its called the Hex . I like it more every day .

17-May-17
HBC is the best true hinge in my opinion. I don't really subscribe to the gimmicky stuff with all the so called "safety" mechanisms and adjustable tensions for holding weights. Been shooting a hinge for tournaments since 1999 so I have a little experience.

17-May-17
Longhorn Hex is a good choice.

17-May-17
I have run the try-ball sweet spots for 12+years. I love them for hunting and targets. The safety is awesome when it's cold out and your gloves are on.

18-May-17
Thanks guys for your help! Midwest I'm thinking hinge but I don't know anything about the types. I shot fingers for over 40 years until recently. Anyone have experience with the Tru Fire Sear or Hot Shot X-Tacy?

18-May-17
Start your son on a resistance activated release such as a Carter evolution, Silverback or Stan Element, years from now he will thank you.

18-May-17
I've tried a lot of releases and have sold all except the Scott longhorn. It is not super expensive. It is comfortable and it is very smooth. +1 HUNTMAN. I have not liked a single hinge release with a safety. Some are very unreliable and unpredictable.

18-May-17
I learn on a tension-activated release such as a Carter Backstrap or Stan Element (after coming to full draw you apply more back tension until release fires) which really help me switch to a hinge. If you start out with a hinge I would recommend one with a safety; Carter Honey 2 or Tru-Ball Sweet Spot. If not drawn correctly, hinges will fire before coming to full draw which can result in a "fat lip" A safety prevent this which I believe would be important with a 12 year old. The Hex has been mentioned but I did not like it because it required to much rotation to fire. Believe me I've had just about every so called back-tension release there is. Go to Archery Talk classifieds and you can find all kinds of releases for sale. There are many good deals there and if you do not like the release can advertise and mostly get just or nearly what you paid for it. I've done that many times. I just traded for a Carter Too Simple for Honey Two. Good luck, I hope you find what your son will like.

22-May-17
I have the Scott Longhorn and have used it for years. Really like how simple it is to use. The only down-side is that it can be noisy clanking around and I always have to hold it just right so that it doesn't spook game. I have seen some of the newer back tension releases have a magnetic hook which keeps it in the ready-to-load position and which I would imagine helps keep the metallic clanking sounds to a minimum. Anyone tried one of these for hunting?

23-May-17
TruBall HBC or HT for me. Both 3 fingers. Good luck!

23-May-17
Have tried Scott hinges, TruBall Hinge and, for me, the Stan Hinges (3 & 4 finger) are what I use for everything at this point. IMO a hinge is a hinge, some smoother and some not so smooth. The actual "fit" in your hand is a big deal as the right fit creates a comfort level you don't get with other hand held releases.

• Sitka Gear