loopmtz 19-May-17
Scar Finga 19-May-17
KY EyeBow 19-May-17
Florida Mike 19-May-17
GrantK 22-May-17
hogdaddy 24-May-17
Southern draw 24-May-17
17-May-17
I am sure it may be hard not to go hunting while there is still a turkey hunting season still on and this was my case last week here in Colorado. I had been successful earlier in Nebraska and was awarded with two good toms on two different trips but had not hunted here in Colorado and the season was still on for another week. So where to go?

17-May-17
I had hunted in the far western part of the state a few times and knew of a few good areas. I first time was back in the mid 1990s and the first two tom Merriams, were killed with a shot gun. The last three toms were killed using bow and arrow and those hunts were over in a day or two as I had found a honey hole, of sorts, well off the beaten path and far back eleven miles on a two track road. This is elk and mule deer country at 10,000 and the turkeys have to travel a few miles from the low lands to get there. But that is what Merriams do, the mountain bird.

A couple of times I had been snowed out and if it rains, the two track is dangerously slick and one might end up in the ditch which would make for a long walk out and a very expensive tow out, even if possible. Watching the weather is very important even in May.

17-May-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
So at o'dark thirty, on Sunday morning I leave Ft Collins for the six hour, 359 mile trip, to Montrose CO and lightly beyond. Just an average 50 mile ride to Denver but then heading west out of town I see the mountain range up ahead.

17-May-17

Farther west, one can gamble their money away, sort of like hunting!

17-May-17

and then there is the Veteran's Memorial tunnel as one nears Idaho Springs

17-May-17

There are 4 big horns in the picture but almost impossible to see. Trying to drive and take a picture is a chore. I can not find them but the are there somewhere in the white rocks
There are 4 big horns in the picture but almost impossible to see. Trying to drive and take a picture is a chore. I can not find them but the are there somewhere in the white rocks
Georgetown CO is in the distance and I see Republic Mt where I killed my Big Horn Sheep in 1997. Seeing that mountain always bring back a lot of memories about that hunt.

17-May-17
I envy you!! Great pics. Shawn

17-May-17

west bound I-70 take one thought some interesting country and a great part of the mountain range.

17-May-17

GETTING CLOSER

17-May-17

The next great wonder, the tunnel. Still a lot of snow up high.

17-May-17

and heading for Vail Pass. Always snow here
and heading for Vail Pass. Always snow here
coming down into Vail valley
coming down into Vail valley
Ok, out of the tunnel and now down the steep grade and towards Glenwood Springs

17-May-17

Heading for Glenwood Spring, more than half way.

17-May-17

my first ever elk with bow.
my first ever elk with bow.
but before Glenwood, the turn off to Dotsero. (Dot zero on the RR tracks) and a way to get to the south side of the Flat Top Wilderness area. Again another great memory. In 1998 I traveled out from Ohio to bow hunt elk and turned off there and headed north in to the Flat Tops, Killed my first every elk.

17-May-17

Glenwood Springs and Glenwood canyon highway. The canyon highway and elevated road structures, an engineering marvel along the Colorado River.

17-May-17

heading downstream to Grand Junction, almost there
heading downstream to Grand Junction, almost there
large butts. this area of western Colorado is where a lot of gas and oil has been developed
large butts. this area of western Colorado is where a lot of gas and oil has been developed
Almost to Grand Junction and just past Glenwood Spring, Storm King Mt. where a dozen wild land fire fighters lost their lives when the fire blew up and they were trapped..

17-May-17

part of Grand Junction.
part of Grand Junction.
and south to Montrose just 50 mile to the south.
and south to Montrose just 50 mile to the south.
coming into Grand Junction and the turn off for Montrose. This part of Colorado is home of the Desert Big Horn Sheep. Colorado and Green River drainage. Good elk, deer and bear country in the higher elevations.

17-May-17
Nice pics Paul! Is that a Golden Eagle bow you're brandishing in the elk pic?

17-May-17
Gave it to a young boy a few years ago, That is the same bow I killed the Colorado Big Eight big game species with. The bow is a Oregon Bow (not is business anymore but it served me well for 12 years. Sure looks like a GE bow with the recurve limbs)

17-May-17
Gotcha!

17-May-17

I can see my hunting area in the far distance and it will not be long before the rubber hits the dirt.

17-May-17

typical dirt two track that can be terrible if it rains hard or snows. I have been on both here and prayed I could get out ok. Eight slow miles to go. Road dry. but rough in some places
typical dirt two track that can be terrible if it rains hard or snows. I have been on both here and prayed I could get out ok. Eight slow miles to go. Road dry. but rough in some places
Purchased my resident tag for $21 in Montrose and heading for the dirt. Thirty miles to go and 11 on the dirt. Should be there at prime time, ie, 4 pm to set up the truck camp and head for the honey hole to place the blind and listen and observe.

17-May-17
There has to be more to this story!

17-May-17
And? HAHA!

Hunting in the rain tomorrow as it is the last day I can get out there. Needed this thread to get even more amped up!

17-May-17

and then set up the blind in the trees just to the right of the pond.
and then set up the blind in the trees just to the right of the pond.
The same place I killed two toms before.
The same place I killed two toms before.
Arrived at 4 pm after leaving home at 6am. Long day but I am excited to hunt. Set up the truck camp.

17-May-17
Keep it coming Paul! love it so far.

17-May-17

BIG COUNTRY for sure. Not your typical low land farm country.
BIG COUNTRY for sure. Not your typical low land farm country.
As I walked in the 1/4 mile to the pond I looked for any fresh evidence of recent turkey activity as I had done in the past. I looked along the trail for droppings, None. I looked for tracks, None. I looked for feathers, None. Well, this is big country and a tom or two with a few hens can be anywhere. I sat in the blind until dark and did not hear any gobbling or fly up wing sounds. Interesting!. Tomorrow morning will be the true test if there are any birds in this area. Morning comes, No sounds. I hike down the trail and deeper into the forest and adjacent clearings where I had seen turkeys before, No sounds or evidence of turkeys. Time to pack up and move down the road two mile to the end of the road. A place i had seen and killed one tom there years before. I am somewhat disappointed that my honey hole is a bust but have high hopes for the rest of the hunt.

17-May-17
The thread title doesn't bode well, but you sure pick some great looking country to hunt in !

17-May-17

and then they head off to their roost a few 100 yards away. I do not hear any gobbling the rest of the set.
and then they head off to their roost a few 100 yards away. I do not hear any gobbling the rest of the set.
Near the road's end I park and walk the remaining 3/4 mile and to where I had killed a bird before. Very little sign and just a few tracks in the hard mud of the road. ONe the way back to the truck I seen a dozen hen on the hillside but no red heads with them. Well at least I saw some live turkeys and just hope a tom or two is around. I set up the blind and set there for 4 hours, sending hen cackles on the box call, every 15 minutes trying to simulate a tom to answer. None did. Near dark and fly up time I hear hens coming. I call and they respond. I tom must be in tow but I hear none. The hens are attracted to the calling and the decoys and come to within 10 yards.

17-May-17

hens in the decoys but no boy friends
hens in the decoys but no boy friends
I camped in the truck only 300 yards away for the night and was back in the blind well before first light. Back in the blind, I called a few times and the hens responded. No tom gobbling. Dam! Later the hens came back into the decoys. I sat they and decided to later head off the same direction the hens had gone. Maybe they might met up with a time over the ridge. I hiked for two hours, sending out searching hen cackles. No response at all. Well the "writing is on the wall" as they say. I had also listened to my weather radio and the prediction was a storm was on its way.

17-May-17

So back at the truck at 2 pm, I decided to head home. If I had any indication there was a tom or two around I would have stayed. Normally here are few toms around and if the other hunters had killed them off, that might be the reason I did not hear any or if last year's hatch did not product a good crop, another reason of the lack of sign or sound.

There is no doubt that is this beautiful turkey country, hard to hunt and a real challenge to find and kill a tom but that is the challenge for us all regardless of location and habitat.

17-May-17

So the title of this thread is, 758 miles = Zero. Zero? We have all been there at one time or another but there is always next year and we look forward to it with great anticipation.

If smart, we just "smell the roses", buck up and enjoy the experiences around us. All in all, it was a wonderful hunt. I will be back and thankful to be living in a great state.

As you can see, there is more to this story.

my best, Paul

17-May-17
Thanks Paul for the story and pics it's nice to see your state more than once a year!

17-May-17
Nice story Paul and love reading your hunting story posts. Being from Pa a lot of your pic on the road are familiar. As I've traveled them over the years. The very fist turkey I've ever seen in Co was just north of Montrose.. Ed

17-May-17
I've made that drive a few times. Brings back memories. Thanks for sharing.

17-May-17
Great post ! Sometimes it just doesn't happen! Sometimes it does! Love the game . Hunt

17-May-17
Road trips are fun as you know. thanks, Paul

18-May-17
Living the dream Paul...

18-May-17
Great post. You're making me wish turkey season wasn't over here in TN.

18-May-17
There truly is more to hunting than just the kill. Thanks for taking us along.

18-May-17
Great thread as always Paul. Thanks for sharing:)

18-May-17
Coming home empty handed makes the next success that much sweeter. Nice pics Paul!

18-May-17
Beautiful place to hunt, thanks for taking us along. Forrest

18-May-17
Another great thread! Thanks Paul. I feel a little less bad now about all the kilometres I put on this year without a turkey again.

18-May-17
The day I arrived in Montrose last Sunday, it was near 80 degrees and dry. Girls in shorts! I checked the weather this morning-- 31 degrees and raining and some snow in the high country where I was hunting. That 11 mile two track has to be "slime" highway. Glad I bailed out when I did. The prediction for Denver tonight is snow and 2-3 ft in some mountain areas. Spring is here. I just covered up my tomato plants. my best, Paul

18-May-17
Great story and pictures as always Paul! This spring has been like that for me, lots of zeros in the game bag on the way home. The most frustrating spring in many years. One thing I have found along the way though and I know you feel the same is that no hunt is ever a zero. The cooler may be empty but your heart is always full! Thanks for sharing!

18-May-17
As ALWAYS a great story. Thanks for including us. Next time don't tell tkslyr and joehunter about your honey hole... no wonder there weren't any toms left :)

18-May-17
Another great journey Paul!!!

Thanks for the pics, stories and taking us along!

Mark

18-May-17
Great story Paul! Thanks for sharing!

18-May-17
I love Grand Junction and Montrose. Beautiful country... Everyone was telling me how silent a lot of the birds were in certain areas. I dunno... You've got a few more days left, let me know if you need some birds down around Pagosa Springs..

18-May-17
Thanks for the offer but if the weather in PS is like here in Ft Collins it is snowing silver dollar sized show flakes. Spring snow for sure all over Colorado and I am sure the nesting hens are having a hard time of it.

A road trip to Pagosa Springs sounds good. and maybe next year we can get together on a hunt. my best, Paul

18-May-17
A friend is at their cabin just east of Kenosha Pass and before lunch they had 15"+ and still snowing hard.

18-May-17

Buglmin's embedded Photo
Buglmin's embedded Photo
Paul, Yessir, got word today it was snowing in ptown. I'm in Arizona now, but went back to chase gobblers in my mountains. I'd share my camp with you and Lou anytime sir. And the nice thing bout being new in Phoenix and working shows at Cabelas and Bass Pro is guys are telling me where to chase cous and desert mule deer....

18-May-17
Local info concerning deer is priceless. I hope I have one more trip to AZ for Coues. Thanks, Paul

18-May-17
As they say, the only guarantee is bupkis if you stay home. Thanks for the travelrama, and I hope next time results in the interest on the deposit you have paid of your time.

19-May-17
Ben, time I have so the deposit interest on it might make me a millionaire in due time, or as you said, "bupkis".

19-May-17
Great stuff as usual. thanks...

19-May-17
Beats the hell out of working! Sorry you didn't connect, but it's always nice to be out in the country!

God Bless,

Scar.

19-May-17
Paul, I really liked the historical narrative you put in with your story. I always enjoy reading your posts and stories. Nice job!

19-May-17
Thanks Paul, I know your'e slightly disappointed that you didn't harvest a bird but FYI, I'd rather read one of your threads with nothing killed than most other threads that have a dead animal. Taking us back down memory lane as you drove across the state was awesome! Thanks again, Mike

22-May-17
Paul, Thanks for the story and photos, I grew up in Montrose and have spent a lot of time on that particular two track. It's unfortunate that the quality of turkey hunting in that area has been going down, I've never seen so many people in the woods as this year, there's still plenty of birds but they are really, really call shy and also seem to be changing their preferred locations into the canyons..

24-May-17
Great story Paul ( met you in a parking lot in Neb. white f 150 frm Tx.) 2 1/2 wks on the road visiting friends & family hunted two areas w two different groups no blood drawn. Killed three gobblers in Tx. on four morning hunts. Polar opposite experiences but wouldnt trade either one for anything. happy hunting, Barney

24-May-17
Thanks for sharing !

• Sitka Gear