Firehuntfish 12-Jun-17
Beav 13-Jun-17
18-May-17

Firehuntfish's embedded Photo
The Limcroma Team: PHs Otto & Drian Trackers, Franz, Bolla, & Impy
The Limcroma Team: PHs Otto & Drian Trackers, Franz, Bolla, & Impy

Firehuntfish's Link
My wife and I just returned from yet another incredible African adventure with Limcroma Safaris. This was our 5th safari with Limcroma to date. What an amazing experience! It was everything I hoped it would be and more, yet it was nothing like I expected at least in terms of how the hunt would go down.

The main focus of this safari was going to be a Cape buffalo hunted spot & stalk with a bow. No hides, no tree stands, no water holes, and no food sources... Open ground, cutting tracks and stalking in... Not that I am against any of the aforementioned methods, but that is not how I wanted to attempt my buffalo hunt. I entered this hunt completely aware that my chances of success would be small, but for me, trying to take one any other way would not have been the same challenge or reward. Here's the short version....

Like most safaris, this hunt began a couple of years prior in the planning. Although I have been fortunate enough to have visited and hunted many places in Africa, I have never had the opportunity to hunt anything other than plainsgame and the smaller predators. Although I have always had dangerous game ambitions, I unfortunately also had a plainsgame budget. I was not likely that I would ever get to chase one of my dreams of hunting Black Death with a bow & arrow. Thanks to lots of sacrificing, saving, and extra overtime shifts at work, my wife and I were able to put some money aside and seriously consider making this hunt a reality. That, along with the very gracious opportunity provided to us by my "South African boss" and great friend Hannes Els, we were finally able to put things together.

Hannes recommended that in order for us to have the maximum opportunity to attempt this hunt the way I wanted to do it, we would need to dedicate at least 10 full days... I elected for 12... He suggested April or May so we would still have lots of fresh grazing grasses and lots of green cover for stalking. The dominant strategy would be to catch the buffalo grazing with their heads down early in the morning before they bed up for the day or late afternoon as they graze before sunset. A grazing, relaxed buffalo would be much more approachable than buffalo bedded or on alert. The problem is that the thick cover that would provide us with the concealment that we needed does the exact same thing for the buffalo. One of the most remarkable observations I made during this experience was that for an animal the size of a Cape buffalo, they have an uncanny ability to disappear in this dense bush. When they are found grazing and relaxed, they can often be heard a hundred yards away beating the bush with their huge bodies and hard bosses making quite a ruckus. In this mode, they are anything but stealthy. However, they can amazingly disappear silently especially when they think that they are being hunted.

The basic plan for each day was to begin at sunrise, and slowly cruise the roads looking for fresh spoor and pursue accordingly. After the first 4-5 days, we had several encounters and got as close as 20 yards on a couple occasions. Each time, something would be just not right for a shot, or the wind would swirl and the buffalo would bust us. My early concerns over getting a clear shot in this thick cover were realizing to be all too true. More than once, I could see a head, a boss, or a or a hind quarter, but not the vital open shoulder that I needed. The animals would either be obscured by grass, bush or both.

Cut to the chase.... On the morning of Day 7, I finally got my shot! By that evening, my Cape buffalo was in the salt. I cannot begin to express the range of emotion I felt at this point..... Elation, relief, accomplishment, mental exhaustion..... Never before have I experienced such an emotional roller coaster of highs and lows on the same hunt. Needless to say, I have a new and very profound respect for Cape buffalo. It was truly a team effort, and I cannot say enough about the skill and professionalism of the team that made this hunt possible. Hannes Els, and his staff are collectively the most impressive individuals that I have ever hunted with. There are very few African outfitters that have the qualifications, experience, and skill to pursue dangerous game with a bow. Hannes Els is one of them.... This buffalo was my first, and likely my last of the Big 5. It was an incredible experience in so many ways, and a memory that we will all share for the rest of our lives. My heartfelt thanks to everyone on the team that made this possible for me.

18-May-17

18-May-17

18-May-17

After my buffalo was in the salt, the pressure was off. We could relax, and enjoy our remaining days in camp. Not so fast.... My wife Lisa, who was graciously willing to dedicate her entire time to the pursuit of my buffalo, was now chomping at the bit to shoot some arrows herself. Turns out she also had the hunting opportunity of a lifetime.

The same concession where we were hunting buffalo also had an excessive population of giraffes. Hannes wanted a few of the oldest, non-producing females off. He asked Lisa if she wanted to try and take one. You don't have to ask her twice!

She really wanted to try and take this animal with her bow. The PHs Otto and Drian were skeptical of her chances of getting close enough for a bow shot spot & stalk. Not to mention that she needed to preferably take a frontal shot for her bow to ethically be effective on such a large, heavy-hided animal.

The awesome thing about the PHs at Limcroma is that they are up for any challenge if you are... After several unsuccessful stalks, she got lucky on the final stalk of the day. This big female's curiosity got the best of her and Lisa got a 30 yard shot right between the shoulder blades. The massive female dropped within a few hundred yards.

18-May-17
a brute....well done man!

18-May-17

The rest of my hunting time was spent doing what I love to do the most in Africa, and that is spot & stalk the river bottoms with my bow in hand. The first morning out, I got a shot at this massive female porcupine still out and about digging a new burrow. Ironically, I have taken two African porcupines with my bow over the years, and both were in daylight.

18-May-17
Nice job. Sounds like you and your wife had an unforgettable hunt. Couple of great trophies. Going to be hard to top this hunt.

18-May-17

So, Lisa's tear continues into the next day... She and Drian were sitting in a hide over water when this young waterbuck came in. Not acting right, Drian glassed him closely and could see several open wounds that looked to be infected. Apparently, he had a run-in with another bull and got the "L" instead of the "W"... Drian gave Lisa the green light, and she took him out with a perfectly placed arrow at 20 yards. She got a complete pass-thru with a 650 grain grizzly stick arrow tipped with a Helix Broadhead @ 52lbs. He fell within sight of the hide.

18-May-17

No African hunt is complete for us without doing a little night hunting. The critters that come out in the bush after dark in Africa are truly amazing. This trip, Lisa would be taking the shots. She was complaining that she had never taken any animals at night to this point. I explained to her it's hard to take any night critters when you spend your evenings around the campfire drinking wine and socializing! You can imagine the face I got from that comment...

Anyway, she got it done this time. She got a shot on a very nice small-spotted genet cat. Now we have a matching pair..

18-May-17

Besides spot & stalking with my bow, I am obsessed with hunting warthogs. I have taken dozens over the years, and a few real trophies on the last trip. This trip, however, they were more elusive due to the heavy cover that still remained in the bush. I was not leaving Africa without shooting at least 1 warthog....

On my final evening, I got a shot at this old female cull. She was scarred up and skinny. Not making baby warthogs anymore, she would be tasty on the braai, and her ivory would make a fine towel hook.

18-May-17

Lisa also ended her safari on a high note on our last evening. She had been hunting 3 big male springboks that had been hanging around outskirts of the main lodge's bow hunting concession. Several attempts at spot & stalk over the last few days never got her close enough for an ethical shot. Drian formulated a plan to sit at the hide where they frequent the water hole and mineral block. On the last evening, this big, tall male came in for a lick of the salt block and got an arrow for his mistake. She made another great shot and he fell within sight.

18-May-17

Almost forgot.... Another cull warthog for Lisa earlier that morning. Now I can make 2 towel hooks...

18-May-17

I'm obsessed with warthogs and she is obsessed with Guinea fowl. She can't leave Africa without shooting at least one.... I think she also lost one this trip...

18-May-17
Awesome for the both of you. Forrest

18-May-17

On the evening after my buffalo was taken, the Limcroma crew surprised us with a sunset champagne celebration on the banks of the Limpopo River. It really is impressive as to what lengths these folks will go to ensure that your expectations are exceeded at every opportunity. They truly go above and beyond to ensure that each guest has a every personal and memorable experience.

To those of you that know me from this forum, you also know that I have the privilege of representing Limcroma here as one of their USA based representatives. The main reason I became involved in representing Limcroma is precisely because I was so impressed with the great efforts they make to exceed the expectations of their guests. No effort is spared and no detail is left unattended to ensure that each and every guest has a very personal experience while in camp. The Limcroma folks are family to Lisa and myself. But, each guest that visits is made to feel like family. When hunting at Limcroma, you will be spoiled! Prepare yourself to gain 10 pounds from the fantastic cooking of Marcel and Thespina. Each and every PH at Limcroma is a consummate host and ambassador for African hospitality. You will be treated like royalty and hunt some of the finest trophy animals on the most beautiful properties in southern Africa. Whether you are planning a first-time safari for the family or planning your next addition to the Big 5, I can't imagine a finer host than Hannes Els or a better place than Limcroma.

18-May-17

The only thing I love more than hunting is fly fishing... After our hunt at Limcroma, we continued our journey north to the Caprivi strip in Namibia on the banks of the might Zambezi river. We met up with our dear friend and former Limcroma PH Kobus Erasmus for a few days of tiger fishing. Kobus' true passion is to fish, and he has since pursued his dream to begin his own outfitting business focused on fishing and hunting this incredible area of the Caprivi on the Zambezi. We had an incredible trip with Offtrail Safaris and Kobus as well. Here are a few of the highlights from that trip.... If anyone is interested in adding a tiger fishing adventure to your African safari, please PM me. I would be happy to help put you in touch with Offtrail.

18-May-17

18-May-17

18-May-17

18-May-17

18-May-17

18-May-17
Great story. Thanks for sharing. I'm curious, how much penetration did she get at 30 yards on the giraffe?

18-May-17
Mountainman, About 2/3 of the arrow with that frontal shot.... The arrow was 650 grain in total arrow weight. The broadhead was a Helix 200 grain. I think she used the same broadhead for every animal. That broadhead didn't have a mark on it... !

The PHs would not let her take a broadside shot. I learned that giraffe have inedible thick hides especially on their sides. Heavier than the Cape buffalo if you can believe it.... I would guess it was 1/2" thick when they were skinning it out. It's also heavy and tough like tanned leather.... A frontal shot between the shoulder blades is the sweet spot according to them.

18-May-17
Congratulations... a great safari for you both!!!

Tell us about your bow/arrow set up for the buff.

18-May-17
Fire,

What was your bow and arrow setup for this hunt? Poundage, arrow, broadhead etc... Congratulation to both of you on an truly amazing adventure! Africa has always called my name, but my wallet just can't reach that far.

Thank you for sharing!

Scar.

18-May-17

My set up was as follows:

Bow: Diamond Black Ice. 72lbs. @ 29" draw. Arrow shaft: Grizzlystik 175 Black Momentum w/blazer vanes. Broadhead: Bishop Archery 315 grain Bridgeport 41L40 Tool steel... (They make a version in harder steel, but I can't imagine needing it. There was not a mark on it when retrieved from the carcass). *Also added a nocturnal lighted nock.

Total arrow weight with broadhead and nocturnal nock was 975 grains.

18-May-17
Very nice, thank you! My Australia setup will be a 830gr arrow. FMJ 250- dangerous game @30 Inches with a 75gr insert with a VPA 150. Hoyt Carbon Spider @ 71lbs. I will be using lighted nocks as well.

Thanks again!

18-May-17
Congrats on a great trip

18-May-17
Awesome!

18-May-17
Wow! You guys must take a lot of showers, needing all them towel hooks ;-) (I luv me some warthogs too!)

Congrats on another great hunt hunt Dan and Lisa! Your buff is especially awesome. Can you give a few details on your shot/shots placement, distance, the stalk, etc., on the buff? Did you guys stay in the new lodge, or the old one. We loved the character of the old lodge during our stay. Not sure if I want to show this to Teresa. She will start pestering me about when we are going again!

18-May-17
What an adventure ! Thanks for sharing it.

18-May-17
Excellent!! Congrats on those great trophies and for making that dream come true. I too will someday arrow that Buff which has always been one of my loftiest goals. What a great tigerfish too. That is a very worthy fish, especially on a fly rod.

18-May-17
I am happy to see I am not the only one shooting a Diamond Black Ice! Looks like a great trip. I have no desire to go hunt Africa, but I would love to go over there and catch a few of those fish. And maybe shoot a warthog.

18-May-17
Super adventure. Congrats on some great trophies. Thanks for sharing.

18-May-17
Congratulation! Buff with a bow is awesome!

"On the morning of Day 7, I finally got my shot! By that evening, my Cape buffalo was in the salt." Would you mind sharing the details about what happened in-between the shot and the recovery?

18-May-17
I sincerely appreciate all of the congrats and kind PMs.... Lots of requests for the detailed account of the hunt. I was hesitant to post the full report here on Bowsite because I felt it may be too long and boring for most folks. If anyone is interested, I have posted the link to the full report below. It is posted on another forum that we also sponsor. So, Pat, if this is a problem or conflict of interest for you, I completely understand. You can pull this link if you need to. Thanks.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/south-africa-bowhunt-my-latest-greatest-hunt-with-limcroma-safaris.38683/

18-May-17
I just read the other post... What an excellent story! Very well written and kudos to you for putting him down fast! A lot of guys wouldn't do that, well done sir!

Best Wishes,

Scar.

18-May-17
Congrats to you and your wife. Sounds like a wonderful experience.

18-May-17
Thank you Dan for a very entertaining read; I enjoyed that a lot. Paul

19-May-17
Thanks sir I can appreciate the overtime! Well done and thanks for taking us along with your story and pics!

19-May-17
What an awesome hunt and adventure! I'd love to take my better half on an adventure like this someday once the kids are out of the house. She would love it! Congrats and thanks for sharing!

19-May-17
"I have no desire to go hunt Africa, but I would love to go over there and catch a few of those fish. And maybe shoot a warthog."

PECO, your last name is Eland and you don't want to go to Africa and shoot one?!?!

19-May-17
Hey Dan....Congats on a great safari. Awesome trophies...When you talk to Kobus, tell him I said Hi.

19-May-17
Looks like you and the Mrs had a great hunt. Congrats!

20-May-17
Congrats Dan! Awesome looking buffalo. How many tiger fish did you catch?

20-May-17
"Congrats Dan! Awesome looking buffalo. How many tiger fish did you catch?"

Thanks Chief 419, I thought we did pretty good on the tigers ..... By their standards, we did exceptionally well. I was fly fishing, and apparently the only client who has ever had any kind of success with the fly rod at this lodge. The guides there are pretty much all bait and lures which can work well, but I was out-fishing them 10 to 1 on this trip. I can't say if it was luck, or just that they take the fly that much better over anything else. Kobus and the rest of the guides felt it was the presentation of the fly that looked extremely natural that was the key....

I fished with one of Kobus' other lodge guides for a few sessions so Kobus could fish with his sons. This guide who was a native Namibian who grew up on the Zambezi, was memorized with the fly rod. At first he was very skeptical, but I started smashing fish out of the gate, and he quickly became a believer.... What impressed me was how quickly he picked up on boat position and the casting angle I needed. He did a great job in keeping the boat positioned perfectly for me.

The only thing I had to teach him was to keep the fishing area a secret in the future. Apparently, he told a few of his guide buddies that we were into fish, and the next day we had guide boats from 3 different lodges up river fishing all around us. We were still stroking fish on the fly and these other guys would float the same exact stretch without a bite. Some of them just quit fishing and floated just outside of us to watch. . Their clients would clap and cheer when we landed a fish. It was pretty crazy and a lot of fun.

I fished a total of 4 full days and overall, I would say that I got 20-30 bites a day from tigers of all sizes. I would get 5-10 bites from really good fish, and maybe land half of those...? Up until this trip, I thought a tarpon was the hardest fish to hook, but a tiger fish beats them by a mile. I would bend the rod solid on these fish and they would scream off peeling line and get airborne almost immediately. Lots of them jump off. If you can survive the first jump, you have a pretty good shot of landing them. They are awesome game fish, and I hope to get to return to do it again soon... If anybody is hunting the area of the Caprivi in Namibia, or you want to add a few days of tiger fishing to your safari anywhere in Africa, shoot me a PM and I will be glad to put you in touch with Kobus.

20-May-17
It might be worth trying to tie your own flies using circle hooks. I used to lose a lot of tarpon when they jumped. After switching to circle hooks, my catch ratio drastically went up. I always thought tigers were a weight and bait type fish, but maybe they like a moving bait better. They will probably hit a diving, crank type bait also. If I ever get back over there, tiger fishing in on my list.

21-May-17
How are those tiger fish for eating?

21-May-17
How are those tiger fish for eating?

It was all catch and release at the lodge where we stayed, so I couldn't say.... The natives do eat them and they say that they are good. There are catfish and several bream species that are all supposed to be excellent to eat, but we didn't try any this trip.

22-May-17

dave kaden's embedded Photo
dave kaden's embedded Photo
I really enjoyed hunting with Otto as my guide a couple years ago. we to left the blinds for some spot and stalk on bush bucks. seems everyone has a successful, and fun hunt with them! My New Mexico buddies are there NOW.. congrats on your buff!!!

22-May-17
I really enjoyed hunting with Otto as my guide a couple years ago. we to left the blinds for some spot and stalk on bush bucks. seems everyone has a successful, and fun hunt with them! My New Mexico buddies are there NOW.. congrats on your buff!!!

Thanks Dave, Otto looks so young there...lol... He has grown another foot and finally grew a real beard since then. Yes, he is a very talented PH and highly requested. I would hunt with him anytime.

23-May-17
What an awesome hunt! Congratulations and man your wife can shoot!

23-May-17
Wow! That is awesome! Can't wait to get there!

30-May-17

Botswana border crossing
Botswana border crossing
Chobe Park entrance
Chobe Park entrance
Elephant crossing. This is why they close the road at sunset.
Elephant crossing. This is why they close the road at sunset.
Here are a couple of more cool photos from our travels. These are from Chobe National Park which shares the border between Namibia and Botswana.

30-May-17

This one was too close for comfort.
This one was too close for comfort.

03-Jun-17
Simply amazing. Can't wait to see Africa in person!

10-Jun-17
Congrats Dan & Lisa... I know that buffalo has been a dream for a while for you. Great report and great photos too. Is Henno still a PH for Hannes?

12-Jun-17
Is Henno still a PH for Hannes?

Yes he is.... Henno is a great guy and even better hunter. He is always one of our most requested PHs each season.

13-Jun-17
Great pics! Congrats on another great safari.

• Sitka Gear