deerslayer 24-May-17
smarba 24-May-17
willliamtell 24-May-17
Buglmin 24-May-17
HDE 24-May-17
willliamtell 25-May-17
Tracker 30-May-17
21-May-17
I am thinking about going illuminated nock, and with the added weight in the back of the arrow, do any manufacturers design arrows so they are weight forward so I can still keep a decent forward-of-center ratio? I know I can go with a heavier broad head to compensate, but it seems it would be straightforward to design into an arrow shaft. Victory VAP says it does - has anybody measured how that will factor into a forward of center ratio for typical arrow spines and draw lengths.

21-May-17
Carbon Express and others make shafts with built in weight forward. Scooby

21-May-17
Go with the VAP TKO unreal arrow.

21-May-17
Not necessary. I put lighted knocks on my arrows and they hit the same as with regular knocks.

21-May-17
The easy solution for you is to go to a heavier tip. Failing that, you can put weight in behind the insert. A .243 bullet fits quite nicely into most carbon shafts like Gold Tips. You can add anywhere from 70 grains to as much as you want.

Grass trimmer line also works well, and that you can cut and add as little as 10 grains at a time.

Finally, there are some weights that you can install in the back of the insert, that screw into the hind end. The kit comes with a long Allen wrench to bring them in from the nock end so you don't have to remove anything. 3 Rivers has the kit. TMBB

21-May-17
People killed lots of animals with archery gear before the concept of FOC came around. I wouldn't sweat it in the least.

21-May-17
Since you asked, yes, Carbon Express as mentioned.

I can appreciate why you want to maintain a certain FOC...

21-May-17

Ace of Spades's Link
John Dudley explored the Carbon Express claims of weight forward.. If i remember correctly he showed in the video that they are just a advertising ploy.

21-May-17
Alaska Bowhunting Supply. Tapered carbon shafts. Spendy, but good system to set up a high FOC arrow. Not sure if the lighted nocks will fit them though. Not really necessary for NA game but do make a difference for really big critters.

23-May-17
Thanks guys. My concept is to put an illuminated nock on an arrow, but minimize further additional weight, while maintaining an optimal forward-of-center weight ratio. As noted, I can go to a heavier broadhead or insert, but adding more weight up front would increase overall weight and arrow drop over distance, which I am trying to minimize. Setting aside any kinetic energy and momentum discussion, my idea is when that toad bull is sashaying across my view at 30-40 yards, I'd like to minimize any arrow-drop issues resulting from a slightly inaccurate yardage reading. A weight-forward arrow would help counterbalance the additional weight of an illuminated nock without adding more overall arrow weight.

23-May-17
I think you are overanalyzing this, as I too see no difference in point of impact with lighted nock and standard. Maybe I'm just not good enough to tell a difference.

You may be able to switch to lighter vanes, to offset the heavier nock. Would be way cheaper than different arrows if your setup would allow for it (all depends the weight of your current vanes).

23-May-17
By any chance do you currently shoot arrows with a crest? Losing that will counteract the weight of a lighted nock.

23-May-17
As several others have said - I have never noticed my arrows flying differently with a lighted nock. Good luck!

24-May-17
Same point of impact for me as well.

24-May-17
Find the person who told you to compensate for the weighted nock and slap him/her upside the head.

You will see no difference by adding a lighted nock.

24-May-17
The overcomplication is flat out ignoring the question, as most do, to show how "smart" they are by berating others.

Never once (at the beginning) was POI a question, only a statement made later on...

24-May-17
A brand like blood sport with outserts would be an option.

24-May-17
I wouldn't say you've been berated. I simply noted that I didn't see any change in POI and that reducing weight of fletching might be a way to counter act and get the result you are seeking. Similar advice was added relating to losing a wrap if you are in fact using one.

I also think that Carbon Tech Panther shafts are made weight forward.

24-May-17
All good commentary. I appreciate the keep it fun comment, but I've grown a few calluses on this site and will take honest commentary with the bark on over nothing at all. I don't know if lit nock weight wrt forward of center weight will make a difference, but a lot of us have been in this boat - making sure I do everything I can so when the moment of truth arrives I've maximized my chance of success. We put a ton of energy and focus into this sport - maybe I'm overthinking but what the heck. Once I go lit nock I intend to compare my current setup (goldtip pro, ST 100) versus wf arrows and see how they compare flying and tuning. One good thing about lit nocks is it should make it a lot easier to see wagging or porpoising even without paper tuning.

24-May-17
I've shot a lot of VAP's and they ain't weight forward until you start using the outserts. If you want an awesome arrow that will come with weight collars so you can build foc up, look at the GT Pierce shafts. But then again, I'm not sure you'll find a lighted nock to fit them. I use lighted nocks a lot, and the difference in weight compared to a regular nock isn't as much as you'd think. Weigh some and you'll see...

24-May-17
^^^ roughly 10 grs difference.

25-May-17
Might have to balance the shaft VAP says is weight forward and see what the two sides' lengths measure.

30-May-17
Before I changed arrows I would spend some serious time on the range and determine how the lighted nock effected your flight. If there is a change you are not happy with I would lol for a solution. Until then you maybbe over thinking this.

• Sitka Gear