Amoebus 23-May-17
Backpack Hunter 23-May-17
AKHUNTER 23-May-17
Jaquomo 23-May-17
JL 24-May-17
wyliecoyote 25-May-17
Buskill 25-May-17
22-May-17
I have the opportunity to move to another state before long. And since hunting is my life, it will play a part in which state i go to. I read many states big game regulations but its greek to me. Im in louisiana and our big game is easy. Everyone gets 6 tags over the counter (2 buck, 3 doe, 1 either sex) and we only have whitetails. Can you guys please simply tell me what i can harvest in a year in your state? I only hunt public land. Any info Would be very much appreciated!

22-May-17
I'm not sure what states are options for you but in colorado I typically hold 1 list A black bear tag, 2 list b cow elk tags, 1 list A deer tag, 2 list c deer tags, and a list a antelope tag every year.

22-May-17
SD you can have two any deer tags, an antler less tag, an antelope, and a turkey tag. Lottery for elk. This is archery only. There are a plethora of options in addition to that with the gun.

22-May-17
If I couldn't move to BC, then Idaho would probably be my next pick. For hunting you have 9 big game species, including the best resident draw odds in the west for sheep, goat, and moose. And you can hunt elk, whitetail and mule deer every fall. Plus wolves which you can both hunt and trap. And you can bait bears, as well as hunt both lions and bears with hounds. Plus world-class stream fishing of course. And be in proximity to MT, WY, and UT to take advantage of nearby out-of-state hunting. In addition to great hunting and fishing, you get widespread conservative values that are in the minority in some other places.

22-May-17
UT - crossroads of the west and an easy days drive to a lot of western states. Only crux is that most everything is a draw.

22-May-17
ND, as a resident, you get one any deer over the counter archery tag-good for buck or doe, mulie or whitetail, statewide. You can also draw a rifle tag for mule deer or whitetail deer, buck or doe, but it's unit specific. Muzzleloader tags are also a draw, and only good for whitetail buck. Antelope is a draw tag, and is unit specific. As is Spring and Fall Turkey. Elk, Moose and Bighorn sheep are a once in a lifetime tag.

22-May-17
It all depends on where you are hunting but in Alaska you can basically get: 1 moose, 5 blacktail, 3-5 black bear, 2 brown/grizzly bears, 1 Dall sheep, 1 mountain goat, 5 Caribou per day, 1 musk oxen, 1 elk, 5 wolves, and a couple wolverine. And I forgot 1 Bison too but it is a hard draw. So basically enough meat to last a family of 4 a couple of years.

22-May-17
From where I live in Colorado, I [at least] do the following each year:

2 elk tags - $92 1 deer tag - $31 1 bear tag - $44

3 Nebraska deer tags - ~$300 1 Nebraska turkey - $109

1 Wyoming RP Elk $350

3 states for < $1000 a year - hunting from end of August to mid-January

22-May-17
wow Alaska has it all i want to so bad and planning to move there when i retire but back to the main question Michigan has big and plentiful whitetails elk tags are rare once in a lifetime tag for residents only lottery black bear lottery three seasons 3rd being easiest to draw some areas taking only one point spring and fall turkey hunting lots of fun waterfowl ducks and geese a few upland birds pheasant quail woodcock grouse two types of rabbits in michigan coyote and fox across the state plenty of squirrel all three color phases this great state offers many many other critters to trap otter tags muskrat mink coon beaver we have a great bowfishing opportunity for everyone with the great lakes and hundreds of inland lakes and rivers we have the kalamazoo river that is world renown smallmouth bass (Teddy Roosevelt fished it) fishery our great lakes offer a sportsman /outdoorsman an amazing opportunity to catch salmon/trout some of our rivers have crystal clear water for the challenge of trout fishing must i go on.......................................

23-May-17
Sticksender sold me on Idaho. I wonder if I'll be able to convince my wife, she has her heart set on AZ.

23-May-17
IOWA----2 either sex whitetail deer tags (1 bow & 1 gun season) 0-several antlerless, depending on your location. 3 either sex deer tags if you are a landowner (there are some stipulations to this). 2 turkeys and various small game species.

If I chose somewhere other than where I live, it would probably be Alaska or Idaho.

23-May-17
Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Colorado. I would move to Iowa as I like to hunt big whitetails and then I could hunt Kansas, Nebraska and Colorado pretty easily. Shawn

23-May-17

ahunter55's embedded Photo
Nothing worth hunting in Iowa or Illinois.

23-May-17

10 feet from my Door

23-May-17
Ahunter55, when are you gonna show us some pics of the big ones?

23-May-17
If I were younger, it would be a no brainer for me. I love Wyoming !

23-May-17
All of this is online, so do some digging, but...

Don't just look at the state you plan to live in. Look at the those around that state to find out if they have a draw or OTC tags - and the cost of each.

What do you plan to do when you get there for a job?

23-May-17
NC - for $60 (ish) you get 2 either sex, 4 does, 2 turkeys, 1 bear, and unlimited hogs. That also includes small game hunting, and basic inland fishing with public mountain trout waters.

23-May-17
Alaska may have a lot of options for hunting big game but they are usually not a quick day hunt. You can easily do day or weekend hunts but with the limited road system so can everybody else so there is a lot of pressure unless you are willing to drive 3 hours from Anchorage, Fairbanks, Kenai.

My wife and I are fortunate to have a lot of the toys (planes, boats, atvs, rafts, etc), I mean tools for hunting and it is actually cheaper for me to do a Colorado elk hunt than it is to do a fly out Alaska hunt.

The good thing about Alaska is as a resident you buy your regular hunting license ($25ish) and most of the big game tags are free except $25 for brown/griz and the bison/muskox is like $500.

23-May-17
What amoebus said. Look at all the variables. WY and MT are great for hunting and fishing but the winters can be horrific and the job opportunities are slim.

CO has great hunting and fishing opportunity and great weather but lots of people on the Front Range and the average home price is $400K. Western slope CO is cheaper and less congested but way less job opportunities.

ID has a lot to offer, depending on your work situation. Midwestern states? Deer, turkeys, birds, and generally depressed economies.

Lot more variables than number of species.

24-May-17
Wherever you go make sure the wife is happy there. If she ain't happy, you won't be happy.

25-May-17
Here in California you can bowhunt blacktail deer, mule deer, wild hogs, bear, turkey, coyotes and bobcat... and enter drawings for 3 species of elk, antelope and big horn sheep.

Joe

25-May-17
Virginia : 1 bear, 3 turkeys, 5-6 deer depending on where you are .

• Sitka Gear