Stoneman 31-May-17
BIG BEAR 31-May-17
Coyote 65 31-May-17
nmwapiti 31-May-17
Bowboy 31-May-17
Norseman 31-May-17
Ace of Spades 01-Jun-17
25-May-17
Well I just found out that my partner and I drew CO elk. He retired last year and has been after me to retire so we could spend more time chasing elk this year.

So on March 31st, checked on my retirement status and the financial adviser says I'm all set, my wife gave me the go ahead.

Put together my severance package and proposed it to the City - City Council agree to all of it. I'm done as of June 1st.

My wife and I, along with 2 other couples are leaving on fishing vacation in the morning to Lake of the Woods, MN, to chase Walleye's for a few days, back to work for Tuesday and Wednesday of next week, then I'm done.

So this year, no worries about the job while setting in front of the fire drinking a cold one couple days before opener, then total R & R for .......... however long we want :)

25-May-17
That's awesome, congratulations!!!

25-May-17
Good deal. Enjoy

Wave at all my relatives as you drive thru Baudette and on the way up the 'Lake Road'

25-May-17
Congrats, a lifelong goal for all of us.

Where are you going to elk hunt?

25-May-17
Congratulations!

25-May-17
Congrats! Nothing like it, with every evening being Friday evening! Best wishes for success on your elk hunt and all your other "unlimited" time off opportunities!

I retired at the end of July in 2014 and left to go stone sheep hunting the same day. I haven't regretted it for a minute, especially around hunting season......which is Jan, Feb, Mar, April, May, early June, August, Sept, Oct, Nov and December! I could even go to Haida Gwaii in July and hunt Sitka blacktails if I wanted). Hope our legs, lungs and passion keep us going for a long time like Paul at the Fort!

26-May-17
Congratulations! I intend to do the same next summer.

26-May-17
Good for you! I retired on my 60th birthday and haven't looked back.

The only downside is sometimes losing track of what day it is, but if some season isn't opening or it's not your anniversary or wife's birthday, doesn't really matter if it's Tuesday or Thursday!

Enjoy.

26-May-17
That's sweet. Congratulations. I'll most likely never retire with good enough health to chase elk, heck idk if I'll retire. Well done sir.

26-May-17
Congrats! What resort on LOW?

26-May-17
Congrats. I'll be there in a couple years.

26-May-17
Good deal for you and your wife. I retired in 2002 at 62, and as others have stated, every day is a Saturday. My only advise is watch your $ as you will never have enough and I hope you are invested for the long haul. And then keep very busy because now, time will just fly by. Watch your health as THINGS have a way to sneaking up on us. Have fun on the elk hunt. my best, Paul

26-May-17
That is awesome! Congratulations. Good luck on LOW and on the mountain this fall.

26-May-17
awesome to hear. well done and best of luck in the next chapter. I hope to be there in 10 years.....

26-May-17
Bob, that's awesome, it sounds like you are thrilled & well taken care of with a well thought out plan! Good stuff bud!

I retired (if you can call it that-grin) nearly 9 years ago & I love the freedom of time as well as being able to spend endless time in the elkwoods! Congrats to you & good luck with your retirement & elk hunts this year!

ElkNut1

26-May-17
That is great! Congratulations and enjoy your retirement!

Good Luck this Fall!

Scar.

26-May-17
Congrats and good hunting !

26-May-17
Way to go. Now you can really enjoy the rest of your life that you worked hard to create.

26-May-17
Heartwarming news to hear!!!!

26-May-17
Congrats and good luck!!

26-May-17
Congrats Bob, I envy you and I'll be joining you in the world of retirement in a little over a year and a half...

26-May-17
Congrats. I retired in Aug. '14 a couple months before turning 61. One caution. Don't expect to have a lot of time on your hands. I'm so busy now, doing things I want to do instead of what I had to do, I don't know how I had time for work.

26-May-17
Congrats Bob!

Sounds like good planning by you and your wife is paying off!

Enjoy LOW and the walleyes!!!

Mark

26-May-17
Yep, every day is Saturday! Best of luck! C

26-May-17
Wow, that would be amazing...congrats! I can only live vicariously through you...

Best of Luck, Jeff

26-May-17
Good for you. I was just recently talking to Jaquomo about this very subject. I'm getting close and doing my homework for a soft landing. Looking forward to it. Good luck.

26-May-17
+1 on what Ziek said. I'm busy all the time now, with stuff I enjoy. Volunteer on three boards, manage two big fisheries, a wounded veteran fly fishing event, two fishing derbies, plus hunt, fish, camp whenever I want. Yesterday I stocked 1500 lbs of trout, sighted in my new pellet gun, tied some flies, went for a hike with my dog. Today I fished and took a nap.

And not once did I miss meetings, conference calls, reports, spreadsheets... :-)

26-May-17
Awesome!! Enjoyed the next chapter in your life. Embrace the unknown and keep on truckin!

26-May-17
Congrats! I keep playing the lotto hoping I can retire early, almost got it last summer, if that don't come through,i have at least another 7 years to go!

26-May-17
Congrats !! You must have been pretty high up in the City to have the City Council approving your severance package ..... I'm a City employee (Police Officer).... I have enough time to retire today but I'm going 3 more years.... City Council won't give a rats ass when I leave...... ha !!!!! Congrats again !!

26-May-17
Inshart, my retirement was almost like yours, except for the part where they said don't let the door hitcha where the good Lord splitcha !

Congrats, and good luck on your hunts !

27-May-17
Inshart, my retirement was almost like yours, except for the part where they said don't let the door hitcha where the good Lord splitcha !

Congrats, and good luck on your hunts !

27-May-17
"And not once did I miss meetings, conference calls, reports, spreadsheets... :-)"

My life at 35...;-(

27-May-17
Good for you!!

This December for me

Good luck, Robb

27-May-17
Congrats! I've inly got about 20yrs to go if my wife doesn't kill me before that;-)

27-May-17
Yep, Best thing about Friday---Only two days till Monday

27-May-17
Very cool man. Must feel good to have things all set. Enjoy for the rest of us poor working bastards!!!

27-May-17
Congrats!! Im looking to pull my pension in the next couple years, but the biggest hurdle Im finding is Insurance is insane.

27-May-17
Don, if you're reasonably healthy take a look at some of the self-insuring coops out there. They are basically cost-sharing pools created outside the commercial markets. Many of the doctors in my area actually prefer them to insurance because of the O-care hassles with paperwork and getting payments. And they are a LOT less expensive than the exchange plans.

27-May-17
Hit 62 in April and decided to go another year for next review session. You guys sound like you are having such a great time, may have made the wrong decision. House up for sale, downsize to a townhouse this summer so get rid of the extra rif-raf work. Spend time reading on how you guys keep locating elk thru the season, thats been my challenge but will keep the learning going and look forward to attending more get togethers in CBA, etc. Planning on doing CO and ID elk hunts again this year. Learned a lot in unit 50 (ID) last year so hopefully can get some shot opportunities this year.

27-May-17
Congrats!! Enjoy your time!

27-May-17
congrats!!! I only have a minimum of 24 more years :(

28-May-17
Congrats!! I've got 12 years to go, will be retired at 44...

28-May-17
12 years for me too@ 62. Hope it's truly your golden years.

28-May-17

28-May-17
Congrats Inshart, welcome to the rest of your life!

I pulled the plug on my career Dec 30 2016. I'm 53 now and agreed to stay until the last business day of 2016. I realize everyone experiences this transition differently but I'd love to hear from some who've retired early to see how things/impressions/perspectives changed after the first year, second year, fifth year.... I'm 6 months in and expected some normal anxieties that go with this big of a change in ones life, regardless how unfounded they might be.

As others are already pointing out, where's all the time for hunting, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, shooting, mtn biking, golfing, relaxing....hell, I almost feel like I need a job just to get my down time back.

28-May-17
Ace, my plan was to retire at 45. Two things happened - the tech crash in 2000 and doing a deep dive into the math to figure out how much money we'd truly need to live another 45 years with a realistic return on "safe" investments of around 5% (after fees), and considering inflation and potential late age health issues. Reality hit. I hope it works for you! (BTW, I don't consider "retirement" as moving from working elsewhere to self-employed. That's just changing jobs).

28-May-17

28-May-17
Jaquomo, tech crash combined with housing crash, cost me almost a decade of compounding, and ended my plan to retire at 55. 52 now, lookin' at 10 more years in workforce.

28-May-17
ASC, I'm now exactly 3 years in. I quit cold-turkey from an intense Big Tech job where I was on jets every week negotiating huge deals. It took about 3 months to let go of the sense of urgency and ball of stress in the gut, then hunting season started and I really settled in.

My worries for the first two years were whether we truly had enough money (no pension) and managing the Obamacare nightmare. I also got sucked into a little more volunteer work than I really wanted.

Now at the end of year 3 I've accepted that our finances are solid, no longer feel like I "have" to do something that day unless there's a deadline (articles for editors, wife needs, volunteer obligations, appointments). The health insurance thing is still a concern but we'll manage. I often forget what day it is. When hunting I get lost in the hunt and don't think about what day it is, only about today and .maybe tomorrow.

I've reached a place where I am truly living "in the moment". I thought I knew what it was before, but only in brief windows, not as a way of life. I'm on three boards, manage two big private fisheries, two fishing derbies, a wounded vet event, and I write 6 or 7 bowhunting and fishing feature articles a year (income restrictions due to Obamacare...) That's enough, not too much. I feel fulfilled and that I'm doing worthy things. That is reward in itself.

28-May-17
One other thing - I HIGHLY recommend investing in a Long Term Care policy when you're in your 50s and its affordable. Otherwise it can quickly bankrupt your family if one spouse needs it. My mom is in a nursing home now, in a shared room, at $9000 a MONTH. Medicare pays zero of this, something most people don't understand.

28-May-17
Oh ya, remember along the way to "take a trip of a lifetime, every year".

Seen friends and family get called away too early and have regrets about not doing some trips now.

By the time you have money, you may not have the time:)

28-May-17
For you younger guys that have not retired and wished you had, DO NOT WISH YOU LIFE AWAY, as the years will go by fast enough and then before you know it, IT IS OVER. my best, Paul

28-May-17
Jaquomo, Is the insurance paying off for your Mom? Mine had paid substantial premiums for many many years and it turned out to be worth little. I've put the details out of my mind because I was so disgusted with it. Felt like she waste a lot of money on premiums for what was covered. Wouldn't pay til x many days after certified, then coverage days were pretty limited. To top it off they wouldn't cover less expensive in-home care and would only pay if she went into a facility. Mom wanted to stay home so that's what we did.

28-May-17
No, because she never bought a policy. We're burning through the proceeds from her house sale after all her savings were used. Thankfully she's in a facility that will accept Medicaid for existing patients when they zero-out. Some other places we considered would not, would literally wheel her to the curb when her money runs out.

You really have to study the different policies. I believe mine is a really good one, costs $3000 a year. It has a "home health care doubler" that pays for home care for quite awhile without affecting the assisted-nursing home benefit. Its from Genworth and has a very good rating, for whatever that's worth.... But I know what you're saying.

28-May-17
Great topic and Congrats to all who have pulled the trigger. I was recently offered an involuntary Early Retirement after 37 years as a Research Chemist after a major layoff in our lab created some mayhem. It was sort of surreal and I wasn't sure how to handle what I previously thought was my dream scenario so I took another job within a couple of months. I'm not sure if it was the right move, and I'll probably retire on my terms in 18 months when I hit 60 so it wasn't a big risk. It's hard to say how much money one needs but I haven't seen too many people regret retirement. Good luck to all of the retirees!

28-May-17
For those retired... what % of income that you brought home when you were working should a person expect to bring home when retired?

I'm hoping to retire in two years if the math adds up.

28-May-17
sfire, you really can't look at it that way. Instead, start tracking every expense you have now, and do it for two years. Down to the level of dog meds and vet bills, tires on the vehicles, oil changes, utilities (seasonal fluctuations) house repairs, a new bow now and then, new waders, clothes for you and her, property tax increases (expected) and vehicle/house insurance, cable bills, cell bills. Everything you spend money on and expect to spend money on, and every recurring bill you may overlook. Health insurance can be a real biggie if you don't manage your AGI right for the O-Care system, and hopefully that will change - not betting on it. Then figure in additional medical costs as you get older, which may be offset by less discretionary (read: hunting) expenses. Then figure discretionary expenses every month for you and your bride. Don't forget taxes and a cushion for new vehicle, new roof, etc.. Then add 10% to that because you missed some things. Remember that the Social Security number the SSI gives you today is today's number, not what it will be with COLA when you take it. Social Security grows at 8% per year when you defer it, which is better than almost anything you can get outside of junk bonds. If you expect to live a long time (who the hell knows?) it may pay to defer it to age 70 if you can. There are calculators for that gamble.

Most people I mentor wildly underestimate the real amount needed. Usually by about 30-40%. Then they freak out when reality hits and they realize they need to work another 5-7 years and save as much as they can, when they mentally were ready to drop out NOW. We came up with a number, and I was nervous as hell about it for the first two years. But it turns out we are pretty much right on that number (with annual increases) and did a reverse mortgage LOC for a wonderful safety net, which continues to grow in value every month.

There are some ok "retirement calculators" online, but they are way too generic to trust. You have to do your own tracking to come up with a real number for you, since everyone is different.

28-May-17
I wouldn't base it on a % of pre-retirement income. If a guy makes 100K a year and saves 50K a year then he only needs to generate 50% from his retirement investments. If a guy makes 100K and can only save 2K a year then he's likely to need to generate 98%.

Figure it out based upon the retirement budget in dollars that gets you the retirement lifestyle you want to target.

28-May-17
Paul... For me it's not about wishing I had retired....... more like wishing I WAS retired.... mentally I'm done with work. I hate it every day. All my best buddies from work are retired..... but I am not leaving without getting every dime I have coming to me before I retire in 3 years. I am what they call R.I.P. In my job as a Police Officer..... retired in place. But I'm not sitting around in a funk waiting for it to come. My outlook on life is do awesome things now !! Don't wait for tomorrow or retirement.... Do it now !!!

29-May-17
It seems that if I'm, for example, living on 10,000 a month take home before retirement that I should be able to live on 10,000 a month when retired.

Is this scenario realistic?

29-May-17

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
Congrats! I went to LOTW Saturday for the day from Winnipeg. Never been there before, we did not bad, limited out in 45 minutes then started padding the numbers :)

29-May-17
Sfire: Under that scenario you will be "floating in doe" when retired. I take half my retirement income from my IRA and half from my after tax money which means I pay taxes only on the IRA money which means I pay very little in taxes any more. The leverage you have to control taxes is the key. Retirement income planning is easy provided you eliminate debt first. Good luck to all but remember if you don't have a passion don't retire:)

29-May-17
It's great hearing from guys out there that made it and love being retired. How about some of you guys who regret it, for whatever reason, lack of resources, boredom etc... It's a big step and I'm finding that getting mentally prepared seems to be the hard part. Been working all my life so it'll definitely be an adjustment. So how about some of you old bucks giving us your experience, good, bad and ugly.

29-May-17
Thank you for your advice Jaq. You too C. I've been trying to eliminate debt. the biggest is the house pmt. 7 years to go on that. My anxiety comes from my lack of knowledge on how retirement money works. My financial advisor tries to reassure me. All know is I've been putting money into retirement and I hope everything is good. BC... I retired from the fire dept in 2006. So, I have a pension there. I was retired 6months and got bored. Didn't seem fair that my wife was getting up everyday going to work. So I went back to school and have been working as an RN for 10yrs, putting more money into retirement. I echo Charlie's comment on having a passion or don't retire.

Guys we/I need advice on how to have a successful retirement.

Have a great memorial day, Jeff

29-May-17
+1 on managing retirement income sources. I do what Charlie does and had to pay $700 in total income tax last year.

As far as how much you'll spend, some spend more in retirement, some spend less. Depends on how many trips you take, expensive dinners out, new vehicles, etc.. That's why an extremely detailed spending plan will help take the pressure off off - you'll know. Its a tedious PIA to do but really gives you the big picture.

Also +1 on paying off the house. Retirement planners to both ways on that Also but we wanted to get rid of the monthly payment and then have all that equity "in the bank" to draw on as needed.

29-May-17
I know people who were bored and couldn't stay retired, but for every one of them work was their "life. They had few friends outside of it and no passions.

I could fill my life full time just with volunteer work - fishing and hunting programs with wounded vets, kids outdoor programs, archery clubs, volunteer trail ranger, all sorts of stuff. I had to cut back to have more time for my own passions. Can't imagine going back to a job now.

29-May-17
Bored with retirement??? Ha !!!!! Bring it on !!!! Can't wait !!!! Boredom here I come....(with a fishing pole !!)

29-May-17
I realized I couldn't calculate how much I would need to retire because no one can say how long I'll live! Sounds obvious, but it wasn't. So, although we all have different spending ideas, 70% of current income is my goal in retirement. With no mortgage or college to pay for, its doable FOR ME. Others will spend less or more when retired. Detailed analysis of spending is key. A worksheet is a good start. A "fee only" financial planner is helpful.

29-May-17
Elkster, the uncertainty about life expectancy is a key element. Because I come from a family with long life genes, years ago I put a chunk into an annuity with a guaranteed "life benefit" for my wife and myself, whoever lives longest. It also has a home health care benefit. Letting it ride for now since the annual payout grows every year while it sits. When we do start drawing, that plus Social Security will provide a healthy annual income of $100K+ regardless of what happens to our other investments or the overall market - See: 2008.

A little peace of mind.

+1 on a fee-only planner who specializes in retirement planning. DO NOT go with a sales outfit like Edward Jones. They'll sell you what works best for them, not you. One of my advisors is former EJ and I had some investments with them too. He told me the whole story on the EJ strategy.

29-May-17

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Looking pretty bored!

29-May-17
Truly appreciate the advice... It helps. Thanks men...

29-May-17
WRT annual income you'd expect to need, only you can answer that by detailing every expense you now pay and what you expect to increase and what you expect to decrease after walking away from a job. I don't mean that in a smartass way, read below.

Fuel for some will decrease from not going to work every day, but fuel increases for us as I get out of the house now taking trips. I budgeted an additional $300 in fuel use over what we used when I was working every month for road trips we now 'expect' to take. Food is always cheap, for us, because we don't eat out much where some of you who eat out for lunch to get out of the office might find a savings from that expense post retirement if you start eating at home more. Many things nearly remain predictable (property tax has nothing to do with your job unless you move, vehicle maintenance might decrease for you but it's likely minimal, annual mag/club subscriptions (if you buy mags) remain if you want to keep buying them, etc...) You get the gist...so you have to document every expense you have now and expect to keep and how it changes after you don't go to an employer everyday.

X% of gross income or X times your annual salary is spit balling in the loosest sense. Might give you direction when you're 20 years from retirement but not when time gets closer. So I wouldn't "wing it" for something this important based on something not even close (you could get lucky though).

I worked tech geek stuff so I added everything in apples first. Annual property tax I divided by 12, car insurance by 12, annual subscriptions by 12, totaled home natural gas bill for year and divided by 12, same for electric, trash, umbrella Ins, home Ins, etc, and added all those average expenses to all the monthly expenses that don't fluctuate on season. That tells you right there, as close as you'll ever get, how much per month must be provided post-tax. Times 12 is your minimum annual expenses, then figure what Fed and State taxes you'll pay and that's basically your annual income needed.

Finishing this is more complicated than that but it is a LONG ways closer to figuring this out than X% of income or X times annual salary crap. Then you can really get something out of a fee only retirement planner because you now have the clue that helps them help you.

Being aware, I know about inflation and tax increases so I accounted for those the best I could and padded just a touch more just for good measure. Although I don't pay property tax every month, I know my account must increase by that 1/12 amount to cover it at the end of the year. So I predict as well as no one else can tell me how much we spend every year on what we consider our 'no sacrifice felt' lifestyle.

Run through 3 different sources (fee only retirement planner (not just investment planner), and 2 different companies that both have the software to calculate Monte Carlo method) besides my own spreadsheets generated from a couple decades of diligent reading on this topic have all confirmed what I have been estimating all along...we're as set as anyone can predict to being fine through the worst our markets have experienced in the past and living like kings if they do average or better.

My wife and I have it made in the shade retired at 50% our annual income. However, that's because we saved about 50% of our annual, carry no debt whatsoever (not even a mortgage), have spending desires under control (we don't burn what's in our pockets just cause it's in our pockets), prefer eating at home where the food is actually good and good for us (vs restaurants), and still save for the rainy days we all get. Because of living on 50% of annual income for all these years, we're effectively retiring on full income because that's the lifestyle we lived for all those years. So X% of gross income is totally meaningless without first determining what you spend every year.

We didn't make American average but we sure as hell didn't make much more like people around us think! And we have never felt we were sacrificing to live on this income. I hunt, fish, camp, golf, hike, mtn bike, shoot guns, etc...so it's not like I'm cheap and don't do anything that costs money.

Having said all that! Thank Jacuomo! Being advised all is financially set still doesn't change the initial anxieties one gets even when faced with facts. I read often that your first couple year's feelings are common and that we tend to batten down the hatches unnecessarily because of it. I don't want to get too personal but I wonder how those before me broke their 'saving' habit - stopping the stashing some of what comes in monthly in the rainy day savings account is just so uncomfortable for me. We, apparently, don't need to keep saving more.

Andy

29-May-17
I'm planning to retire the end of June. Have been paying for my own health insurance for the past 12 years. Made too much so I haven't been eligible for any tax credits. For several years it has been my single biggest expense by far. I have been trying to figure out what to do for health insurance after I retire. Thank you for the ideas.

29-May-17
First off, thanks for all the kind words.

This has evolved into a great thread on "retirement" as I have some of the same concerns as what are being shared here.

Does someone have a sample spread sheet that details what is being discussed here, as far as breaking down living expenses?

Thanks, Bob

29-May-17
I use an ap called Goodbudget that lets you set up funds (gas, utilities, healthcare, etc) that allows you to set a budget for each one and enter expenses as they occur.

One thing that frequently gets underestimated is the impact of inflation. Those who are retiring in their 50's stand a good chance of being retired longer than they worked. Just think of that if you had not had a raise since your first year working - so you need to figure out how much money you need to live on in your first year of retirement and how much you need to have that go up with 3% or so a year for inflation.

29-May-17
Bob, I suspect everyone's spreadsheet will be a bit different. We started with the big stuff (utilities, insurance, property tax, etc..) then added items as we went along for a few months. We figured gas by reviewing our fuel bills over a year.

We have three dogs, and little things like dog food and meds for aging dogs add up over a year. So do subscriptions, memberships, charitable donations, increase in our data plan once I stopped using company bandwidth. All the little items count, and pretty soon what seemed trivial can become thousands when all added together. But we have a house and a full-size mountain cabin ( both paid off) so we had to figure in costs for utilities, taxes, maintenance etc.. for the cabin. We guessed at a lump sum annually for maintenance and do what we can ourselves.

We also eat most meals at home, lots of wild game and fish, but every couple weeks we go out and always use coupons so we get "buy one, half off" deals. My wife is a coupon shopper for groceries. Again, little things add up over a year's time.

We splurged on an HD package on Dish and got a DVR receiver. We don't go to movies so this was our trade-off. But now when we consider a purchase we discuss whether it's something we "need" or just "want", and will we make good use of it. Like a new tent, for instance.. ;-)

Big difference from when I was making enough that we didn't have a budget, just spent what we felt like. But it really hasn't been that much of an adjustment once we both got into the process. Now it's our way of life, and it works.

30-May-17

30-May-17
Like Jaquomo and his wife, if my wife and I go out to eat it's somewhere we have a BOGO or at least buy one, second one half off. Too many coupons to too many good places to just throw away that savings for a meal out once every 2 or 3 weeks. I always say: "If I saw a $5 bill laying on the ground I sure as hell won't just simply step over it.".

For the spreadsheet, there are a lot out there that will have major headings like "Home", then breaks a home's expenses down to buckets like: Mortgage/Rent/Condo Fees, Property taxes, Utilities (Elec, Heating, Phone, Etc), Home Owners Ins + Umbrella, Household Maintenance.

And a required column and a discretionary column for stuff you'll 'want' to do after retirement. Although some of us don't intent to jet set the world on fire, retiring with only covering required stuff would be a drag. So find an honest prediction of what you might spend to make your days/weeks/moths/life enjoyable and get it in that spreadsheet. I padded mine a little more just in case because I know I'm a both feet in kinda guy when something strikes my interest.

Everyone is likely pretty different but a decent spreadsheet that has the major headings and breakdown of subitems should be enough to jar your mind to recall other expenses you pay.

I know I found new things for a few months once I started doing it so I just saved my spreadsheet and updated it when I recalled or paid something I previously forgot. After a while you'll have a pretty good account of your expenses. And a great benefit of probably find you're blowing money on crap that's not worth going to a job everyday for too.

30-May-17
First off, you shouldn't have to figure out your budget in preparation for retirement. You should have been doing a budget all along. If you're not, start NOW, whether or not you're already looking toward retirement. From there, it's just planning and estimating (guessing?) how those budget items will (may) change going forward. For us, we are not yet touching "retirement money" even though I'm coming up on my third anniversary . SS and my pension are pretty much set in stone, and increase about 8%/year 'til age 70, a good rate of return. Our investments are more volatile, (especially since the election), so we're using what we need from there first. We also have good health insurance from my former employer and bought good long term health care plans when we were young and it was very affordable, in case we linger too long. The benefits we have, I don't think are even available any longer. The bottom line is, if you haven't been responsible and planned for the future your whole life, you really can't expect the type of retirement you may want and could have had.

30-May-17
Great thread! Thanks to Jaq, Zoe's and others. I retired on March 24! Worked 43 years as a certified wastewater treatment plant operator. I still do dome private consulting, some that I've done for 20 years.

Along with municipal pension, I also get health insurance. I sacrificed and worked away from home for 5 years. I spent 4 nights each week in an apartment and traveled 3 hours home each weekend. But, this resulted in over a 100% increase in my pension.

I'm 62 now, will defer SS until 66 likely as I earn too much consulting. Living in NYS, I pay no state tax being retired and no SS any longer. I'm still liable for 25% federal tax though.

A hunt for deer in Ontario is planned this fall and an otc hunt in CO may happen as well with my son and a friend.

I'm getting adjusted to retirement but miss some of the folks at work. I'm also getting to spend time with 6 grandchildren, one girl and 5 boys! 3 of my 4 kids are married and have 2, 2 and 2 grandkids.

While I'm sure that I've checked my spreadsheet and rechecked, I still appreciate reading others strategies.

Best to all that are and keep st it to those that are working towards it!

30-May-17
So many different ways to skin a goat CurveBow. It's why I like the conversation about this as it spurs new things to consider even if one has already made the jump.

30-May-17
Well actually I started my "retirement" planning the day I was promoted from Sergeant to Chief back in 1999. Every year I would have the city clerk put a portion of my "raise" directly into my deferred comp account, (some years my entire raise) and that is the only reason I am able to retire today, rather than having to go another 3 years to the age of 65.

5 years ago my wife and I decided to get as debt free as possible and paid off everything except our house, which is fairly new.

The one "oil in the ointment" is going to be, by the end of 2018 my wife is going to need a lower mileage vehicle (hers has almost 200,000 right now and she drives 200 miles a day round trip to work and back).

Prior to Law Enforcement I was in construction and already have people lining me up for remodel jobs, which will pay for our "fun stuff" and her car.

I'm pretty much set, but I can see where putting together a spread sheet, to be more focused on everything, should be helpful.

Thanks for all the ideas. Bob

31-May-17
That's pretty much were I'm at. Been plowing into my 401K and Roth for quite a few years now and it really has paid off. I'm also am debt free including our home. At 61 it's getting close to decision time. I have always had a good idea were we are on spending but I'm really bearing down on this detailed budget sheet to fine tune things. Never realized how much I spend on bowhunting!!!!!!! Oh well, you gotta live.

31-May-17
Im in a fairly unique situation. Since my employer is state funded, I dont pay into Social Sec. My pension is thru PERA. I have the opportunity to purchase my previous SS time and turn it into my years of service worked. So I bought over 4 years of SS and that upped my service time at my job. It was fairly expensive, but i just swapped my other pre-tax investments for it. Upon retirement I will have 28 yrs of service, 24 yrs worked.

Now when I retire in 18 months, [3 days before I turn 55] at about 75% of my current salary, I will also get a health insurance stipend, an automatic 2% raise each year, no state tax on the first $20k of the pension. I will only take home ~$400 less each month than I do now working.

My plan after retirement is to start a small business to stay sharp on my knowledge.

I will take my SS at 62, since it was reduced for me turning it into my pension, as it will only 'supplement' my pension.

Since I only get paid once a month, I have been using a budget sheet for many years and am accustomed to that.

31-May-17
Those who move from company-sponsored insurance to the open market experience a major shock. A mid-level "Silver" HMO plan for my wife and me is now priced at $1800 a month, with a $6000 deductible. When we retired three years ago, that similar plan was $1050 with a $3000 deductible, and it was a PPO so we could choose our doctor..

31-May-17

Tracker's embedded Photo
Tracker's embedded Photo
I did the same thing last year. last day of work was 02SEP17. Left for WY the following week for my Elk hunt in the Bighorns.

31-May-17
Any suggestions on long term health care providers? I have to echo Ziek about having a budget and following it regardless of how long you have until retirement. Knowing where your money goes really makes a difference no matter how much or how little you have to spend. Good thread - thanks!

31-May-17

BIG BEAR's MOBILE embedded Photo
BIG BEAR's MOBILE embedded Photo

My retirement plan !!

31-May-17
It is too late for those that are retiring shortly, but I can relate that the military insurance benefit is one of the prime reasons for sticking it out for 20 years. I spent 4 years active duty and 17 years National Guard. Tricare for Life is my Medicare supplement. Standard Tricare is my wife's only insurance until she turns 65. My cost for this is 0.

This last year Tricare paid out about 500,000 for the wife and I for cancer treatments. Things are better now. I drew an AZ elk tag for a bugle season hunt.

Terry.

31-May-17
Coyote, good to hear. I retire next year with 22 years of service. Don't think I will have you work again, at least not 9 to 5. Hope to spend at least 100 days a year in the woods. Wife still needs to work a few more years to get her retirement. Think it is all coming together. My spreadsheets say so anyway...

31-May-17
Yep, Tricare is a great deal. Also the military retirement pension is a big plus. When I retire I should be good to go with a military pension, Civil Service pension, Social Security, and Thrift Savings income. This is not counting the wife's stuff. I also have investments and a Roth IRA, but I don't plan to tap into that, until I need too. My goal is to call it quits when I'm 60.

31-May-17
So that explains why you guys are on here all the time....

31-May-17
Congrats!

01-Jun-17
I'll have a pension and free health insurance when I retire. More and more I see the benefits of being in a government job. I plan on paying off my mortgage before retiring and having a few hundred thousand built up in deferred comp.

NYS has a great online calculator on their deferred comp page which lets you input current income of you and your spouse, investments, incomes once retired and it will show you all kinds of projections. A really nice tool.

• Sitka Gear